For the Burners left behind...

All things outside of Burning Man.
bx1

For the Burners left behind...

Post by bx1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:38 pm

For Burners that couldn't go home this year (including me)

Well as Black Rock City once again begins filling with its citizens, I realize I am probably not the only one lurking on eplaya wishing there was a way I could have gone this year... I have attended the burn multiple times since 1999, but I have never attended a burn through back2back consecutive years before (mainly because I exhaust many financial resources for Burning Man and I need to recover the following year). Its almost like it takes me more than one year to prepare as well, and I am stuck in a pattern now of one year on / one year off (I attended last year, so this would be my off year). Part of this reason may be because I insist on participating with my own theme camp every time I go. I do want to try and break this pattern eventually (maybe when I retire).

Regardless, with the official event only 2 days away, I figured most burners are already there, or are well in the works of getting there. That being said, I wanted to start some kind of thread for the burners left behind... This thread is for you. What are your thoughts about not attending this year. Was it your choice? Was it because of some unforeseen event you could not control? What are you doing instead?
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

Catwoman69y2k

Post by Catwoman69y2k » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Yup. I seem to only be able to go every other year (Went in 2007 and in 2009). Still, Im glad I didnt go. It would of been too stressful and I think I would bring that stressful vibe to the playa, which is not a place that this kind of sentiment belongs.

Stego (my boyfriend) and I will be aiming for 2011 so Im using thhe money I saved this year to work towards our efforts to take him on a journey he will never forget. :)

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Catwoman69y2k wrote:Yup. I seem to only be able to go every other year (Went in 2007 and in 2009). Still, Im glad I didnt go. It would of been too stressful and I think I would bring that stressful vibe to the playa, which is not a place that this kind of sentiment belongs.

Stego (my boyfriend) and I will be aiming for 2011 so Im using thhe money I saved this year to work towards our efforts to take him on a journey he will never forget. :)
That's very true. I think although I am craving the playa right now, if I had gone I would have been stressing all week about all the money I had spent on preparing our camp. Good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. Maybe I'll see ya next year!
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:13 pm

I've gone a bunch since 2000, but didn't make it last year or this year.
Those of us that couldn't make it are called "Camp Envy".
Next year!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Yup, my 1st year to miss since 1998... :( :( 8)

Going to host a family gathering for Labor weekend...

Hard to watch the burners heading north on 99....

I wanted to make a banner for a overpass: ")(last year was better"
8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:12 pm

ibdave wrote:... ..."last year was better"... ...
The motto of the Burner left behind... (yeah we are just envious)
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:25 pm

I'd so go out and hold up the other end of that banner, ubdave!
Except... since I didn't make it last year either, it wasn't better...

shit.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:32 pm

You know, it's half tempting to offer $100 for an unsold ticket, jump in the Miata, and buzz down to the playa for just one or maybe two days! I have friends I could crash with for just one night. Hell, in an unloaded sports car it'd be easy to get there quick... hmmm... a day or two is better than none... I could actually DO this...

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:39 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:You know, it's half tempting to offer $100 for an unsold ticket, jump in the Miata, and buzz down to the playa for just one or maybe two days! I have friends I could crash with for just one night. Hell, in an unloaded sports car it'd be easy to get there quick... hmmm... a day or two is better than none... I could actually DO this...
I've thought about this too as I always have friends that go every year, however I keep thinking part of the fun for me is being in the desert for whole week in a camp I helped create (and being in that self sustaining mindset of surviving in the desert for 7 days). It just wouldn't be the same to go for 1 or 2 days (for me anyway)...
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way, and it would be REALLY hard to make myself leave after that one or two days... I think I'd have to make it the last day or two if I did this, just so I wouldn't say screw everything and stay!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Shit capt...........do the weekend and come as the frat boy tourist. Total change of prospective. :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:11 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Yeah, I feel exactly the same way, and it would be REALLY hard to make myself leave after that one or two days... I think I'd have to make it the last day or two if I did this, just so I wouldn't say screw everything and stay!

So where's the yacht right now? :)
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

Catwoman69y2k

Post by Catwoman69y2k » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:16 pm

bx1 wrote:
ibdave wrote:... ..."last year was better"... ...
The motto of the Burner left behind... (yeah we are just envious)
Yeah. "Envy" is an emotion I understand and can be processed in a positive manner. No "Camp Jealousy" for me. :)

bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Post by bluesbob » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:24 pm

ibdave wrote:Yup, my 1st year to miss since 1998... :( :( 8)

Going to host a family gathering for Labor weekend...

Hard to watch the burners heading north on 99....

I wanted to make a banner for a overpass: ")(last year was better"
8) 8) 8)
DAMMIT!....and I couldnt make it last year!

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:09 am

In hindsight, I'm glad I missed 2000. I hate cold weather!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Catwoman69y2k

For those interested in watching...

Post by Catwoman69y2k » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:24 am

The webcast from center camp (?). My virgin honey is getting so excited for next year already.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:58 am

TomServo wrote:In hindsight, I'm glad I missed 2000. I hate cold weather!
Yeah I remember 2000 well... it was cloudy and cool, only a few days later in the week got hot and sunny. And there was a harsher-than-normal windstorm that really tore up a lot of stuff. The 9:00 outpost never even got completely built, 'cuz it got pretty messed up. The man was still on the ground on hay bales then.
In '03 or '04 the nights got so goddamm cold I couldn't stand to be out.

Bx1, the Yacht is sitting in my lower driveway, mostly under a 10x20 Costco carport, kinda dirty and neglected but in running shape if it got a battery and fresh oil. In a day I could have it set to go, if nothing major has gone awry since it last saw action in '08.

However, the truck that hauls it... actually two different crewcab dually Chevys, both of which have done playa service... BOTH need new motors right now!

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 am

this will be the third year in a row that I did not go. I will hold a party on Saturday for those in Northern NJ. Being on the east coast instead Montana has put that additional damper on what would normally a days drive away into 5 days. But next year being the last year ever before 2012 the end of all things Mayan s in the plans!

Nice view on the broadcast near center camp. does anyone else know of others?

Enjoy your own little burn!

AIIZ

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:54 am

I had plans to go in 2004 but didn't make it due to a military deployment. I went when I got back in 2005 though, and that year was awesome (and so was the weather).

Capt., I expect to see the land yacht next year mate! You're always free to park it at the Bush as well! :wink:
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

drucake

Post by drucake » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:48 am

im not going this year either :(
it makes me sad to see everyone go. im going to try to go next year though. im so stressed with money and school this year. i hope next year will be different. lucky me though, i live in austin tx and we have at least 5 smaller burns every year, so i still get my fix. nothing like the playa though. god, i miss it.

Pink from Chicago

Camp Envy Virgin Burner

Post by Pink from Chicago » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:01 pm

I have a reason that I'm not going this year, that I'll be willing to bet very few people have-----i'm having a hip replacement tomorrow!! Timing kinda sucks, but if I want to go next year (or go ANYWHERE!), I must get this pain taken care of now. If anyone gets over to the Mal Mart Camp, please say hello to my friend CRANKFUL, and tell him PINK FROM CHICAGO misses him and hopes he's having the time of his life! many thanks! :o

bx1

Re: Camp Envy Virgin Burner

Post by bx1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:46 pm

Pink from Chicago wrote:I have a reason that I'm not going this year, that I'll be willing to bet very few people have-----i'm having a hip replacement tomorrow!! Timing kinda sucks, but if I want to go next year (or go ANYWHERE!), I must get this pain taken care of now. If anyone gets over to the Mal Mart Camp, please say hello to my friend CRANKFUL, and tell him PINK FROM CHICAGO misses him and hopes he's having the time of his life! many thanks! :o

I'd say that's more than a valid reason for not attending this year!
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Conditions and events conspired to keep me from returning Home this year. I may have a mini-Burningman party with my friends.

Next year fo sho.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Transportation utterly impossible.

Although I hope I don't hang around on the web too much. That's kinda depressing and compulsive.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

bx1

Post by bx1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:29 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Transportation utterly impossible.

Although I hope I don't hang around on the web too much. That's kinda depressing and compulsive.

Well now I feel pathetic.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

kahluagal
Burning Since: 2005

Re: For those interested in watching...

Post by kahluagal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:08 pm

[quote="Catwoman69y2k"]

The webcast from center camp (?). My virgin honey is getting so excited for next year already.[/quote]

has anyone seen this work yet? I'm just seeing a black screen - don't know if it's a tech issue or a whiteout issue or what.

Yeah, myself and the boyfriend aren't going this year and it's kind of a mini withdrawal or period of...mourning/not happy/feeling like there's nothing in life that can replicate going. I do think there's something to be said for skipping a year; I went last year, and had a crappier time than usual (just a mess of personal stuff plus camp issues). If I go again next year with the right folks, I hopefully will be able to enjoy it again. It's hard to get accustomed to that non-bman prep period. I also hope to get in touch with some of the community (or clued in folks, mostly) year round - I'm also hoping going to Balsa Man here in SF will help with the community bit, and also with the withdrawals... this photo ([url][/url]) made me smile :lol:
insert witty slogan here...

Apollonaris Zeus

Re: For those interested in watching...

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:45 pm

kahluagal wrote:
Catwoman69y2k wrote:
has anyone seen this work yet? I'm just seeing a black screen - don't know if it's a tech issue or a whiteout issue or what.
If you see a whiteout and hear music, it's a dust storm. If it's black or just a pic with no sound it's off line. Could be because there's no one DJ'n sometime it may take a day or two for more DJs to fill the time slots or they might be having technical difficulties and just need to work out the kinks and tighten up those connections.

Enjoy!

AIIZ

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:05 pm

bx1 wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Transportation utterly impossible.

Well now I feel pathetic.
Sorry, that wasn't what I meant.

Ahhhhhhh! Hanging out on the web already! It burns, it burns!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:30 pm

Could have been.

;)

bgirl

Post by bgirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:32 pm

I have not been back since 1996/97!!
There are many reasons why, the main one being-no crew willing to put in the work it takes to do it right;)) 1996 and '97 were epic years for me and the event- I arrived home to find that BM was on the cover of Wired magazine. It was hard to "top" those years for me, life changing experiences both times. Even though I have wanted to go back every year, I just never made it. Other obligations, travels and life experiences find a way to keep a person busy and off of the playa. It looks like the slow burn is about to pay off, he, he. Next year I will be coming back to the playa after a 14 year hiatus!!! Wooo hoooooooo! Can you say "I am excited", all together now;)) I turned 25 on the playa and it looks like I am coming back for my 40th birthday!! The costume making has begun!! The figuring out of logistics has started!! Thank god I have kept up with things on eplaya, BM news and such over the years-I won't have to navigate the first timers myriad of rules, and reasons why people do the things they do on the playa- plus I have already built storm structures, etc., and am excited to build a water evaporation "system". Yeeee haw, here I come........
I wish all my friends on the playa, my fellow compadres on eplaya who are not attending BM this year, people all over the world to have a stellar day!!

Return to “Open Discussion”