For the Burners left behind...

All things outside of Burning Man.
bgirl

Post by bgirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:32 pm

I have not been back since 1996/97!!
There are many reasons why, the main one being-no crew willing to put in the work it takes to do it right;)) 1996 and '97 were epic years for me and the event- I arrived home to find that BM was on the cover of Wired magazine. It was hard to "top" those years for me, life changing experiences both times. Even though I have wanted to go back every year, I just never made it. Other obligations, travels and life experiences find a way to keep a person busy and off of the playa. It looks like the slow burn is about to pay off, he, he. Next year I will be coming back to the playa after a 14 year hiatus!!! Wooo hoooooooo! Can you say "I am excited", all together now;)) I turned 25 on the playa and it looks like I am coming back for my 40th birthday!! The costume making has begun!! The figuring out of logistics has started!! Thank god I have kept up with things on eplaya, BM news and such over the years-I won't have to navigate the first timers myriad of rules, and reasons why people do the things they do on the playa- plus I have already built storm structures, etc., and am excited to build a water evaporation "system". Yeeee haw, here I come........
I wish all my friends on the playa, my fellow compadres on eplaya who are not attending BM this year, people all over the world to have a stellar day!!

bgirl

There are many reasons why, the main one being-no crew willing to put in the work it takes to do it right;)) 1996 and '97 were epic years for me and the event- I arrived home to find that BM was on the cover of Wired magazine. It was hard to "top" those years for me, life changing experiences both times. Even though I have wanted to go back every year, I just never made it. Other obligations, travels and life experiences find a way to keep a person busy and off of the playa. It looks like the slow burn is about to pay off, he, he. Next year I will be coming back to the playa after a 14 year hiatus!!! Wooo hoooooooo! Can you say "I am excited", all together now;)) I turned 25 on the playa and it looks like I am coming back for my 40th birthday!! The costume making has begun!! The figuring out of logistics has started!! Thank god I have kept up with things on eplaya, BM news and such over the years-I won't have to navigate the first timers myriad of rules, and reasons why people do the things they do on the playa- plus I have already built storm structures, etc., and am excited to build a water evaporation "system". Yeeee haw, here I come........
I wish all my friends on the playa, my fellow compadres on eplaya who are not attending BM this year, people all over the world to have a stellar day!!

bgirl

bgirl

Post by bgirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:33 pm

bgirl

Post by bgirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:33 pm

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:53 pm

can you say thst again?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:12 pm

bgirl wrote:...no crew willing to put in the work it takes to do it right...
Yeah, matching pictures, my burner friend. Last year I pulled something together with some help from others, but not as much as I'd like. The camp was popular but not so much so that I was avalanched by people willing to take on the hard tasks. In fact nobody stepped forward to resurrect the camp. Alas! So much for Barbarian Camp. I am not willing to do it alone anymore. Better to stay put in Defaultia.

Nitevenus

Post by Nitevenus » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:39 pm

....for those of us who might like to take part in a project on the playa
http://brcpo2oh.weebly.com/e-mail-playagrams.html

Not for emergency purposes, but might be a fun way to keep in touch with your camps.

kahluagal
Burning Since: 2005

Re: For those interested in watching...

Post by kahluagal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:19 pm

[quote="Apollonaris Zeus"]
If you see a whiteout and hear music, it's a dust storm. If it's black or just a pic with no sound it's off line. Could be because there's no one DJ'n sometime it may take a day or two for more DJs to fill the time slots or they might be having technical difficulties and just need to work out the kinks and tighten up those connections.

Enjoy!

AIIZ[/quote]

it says it's live, but I'm still just getting a black box. Not getting the archived videos to play, and the Chat thing never loads up - I'm using Safari but tried it in Firefox but no dice. It also says "Now LIVE! updated 2 days ago", so it may not be working at all... ah well, we'll see (or not) I guess.
insert witty slogan here...

bgirl

Post by bgirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:25 pm

Yikes!! Yup, I can say that again;)) Just a little impatient w/ the server, and excited:=} Nice link Nitevenus. it's on!!!

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:41 pm

kahluagal wrote:
Apollonaris Zeus wrote: If you see a whiteout and hear music, it's a dust storm. If it's black or just a pic with no sound it's off line. Could be because there's no one DJ'n sometime it may take a day or two for more DJs to fill the time slots or they might be having technical difficulties and just need to work out the kinks and tighten up those connections.

Enjoy!

AIIZ
it says it's live, but I'm still just getting a black box. Not getting the archived videos to play, and the Chat thing never loads up - I'm using Safari but tried it in Firefox but no dice. It also says "Now LIVE! updated 2 days ago", so it may not be working at all... ah well, we'll see (or not) I guess.
try resetting your browser under tools or preferences if you are running a Mac. Also make sure you have enabled scripts. Hope that works for you

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:15 pm

ok, I'll say it... Bad Weather Year........

maybe we made the right choice.... yes? 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

kahluagal

Post by kahluagal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:43 pm

[quote="Apollonaris Zeus"] try resetting your browser under tools or preferences if you are running a Mac. Also make sure you have enabled scripts. Hope that works for you[/quote]

Yeah, tried a bunch of stuff, and ustream is frakked for me - some stupid Flash issue (if anyone needs help, try this: http://www.ustream.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=684). Meh ustream. GRR.

Nothing like trying to get technology to behave - I do like the week on the Playa because I don't have to deal with stupid ass browser issues :x

edit: apparently ustream just did a redesign that's screwed everything up: http://www.ustream.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57 - if there are Mac users who get this stream to work, let me know.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:04 am

I'm trying to tell myself it's a GOOD year to skip because the weather sucks.

Oh well, I did go out yesterday and get a motor to put in my BM hauling truck! That's all we can do, set ourselves up for next year... shit that's a long time away...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:22 am

Will the weather be better next year? Only the great FSM knows for sure.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:30 am

I want to throw a Burning Man pity party in Sunnyvale on Monday. Drumming, roast meat, fire! If you're interested, reply off-line.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:43 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I'm trying to tell myself it's a GOOD year to skip because the weather sucks.

Oh well, I did go out yesterday and get a motor to put in my BM hauling truck! That's all we can do, set ourselves up for next year... shit that's a long time away...
yeah, it looks like it was not a good year to go. He keeps saying to himself

kahluagal

Post by kahluagal » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:22 am

[quote="Apollonaris Zeus"]yeah, it looks like it was not a good year to go. [size=7]He keeps saying to himself[/size][/quote]

:lol: I hear ya. It's the regret that sets in and almost the 7 stages of denial. I didn't get a chance to go in 2008 after going in 2007 and I was like, "well, maybe I can just get some of the basics together..." *face palm*

yay, I got it to work - some weird Flash settings. Oooh, I feel like a voyeur watching this :p Ah, my heart is happy now - I can see the much loved Playa :)

bx1

Post by bx1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:22 pm

The weather was good last year. In fact, all the years I have picked to go always seem to be good weather years *knocks on wood*. So, I am certain next year will be fantasmic (weather wise and more).
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

bgirl

Post by bgirl » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:55 pm

The weather looks pretty good on the playa from where I am sitting...... Looks nice and sunny compared to rainy Deep Cove, North Vancouver today:(( It's almost 5 pm and there does not seem to be too much wind either.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Any place is better that Rain Forest of a dump in North Vancouver!

only kidding! Wait till it gets dark. Love that glowing translucent women that changes colors- Wow!

And that synchronized fireworks and fire canons!

Totally Sucks Dude!

Right! Right! Right! Right! Right!

bgirl

Post by bgirl » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:34 am

You got that right meng, he, he. Any place is better, especially if that place happens to be a certain desert like place, with thousands of happy dancing people:=}
Holy crow, the night time lights are stupendous, totally stunning. Can't stand it;)) Can't look away!! We've been watching the live feed since Sunday, and the city lights at night are multiplying. The live feed this year is killer!! Whooo hoooo, I am soooo excited for next year!!

The Bass

Post by The Bass » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:58 am

the feed is great...

and i just reached out to a regional burn (PDF) to get a theme camp placement...

can't be at BRC but you can get your burn on other places, other times....

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:47 pm

The Bass wrote:the feed is great...

and i just reached out to a regional burn (PDF) to get a theme camp placement...

can't be at BRC but you can get your burn on other places, other times....
Truth be told (i love saying that)

there are no substitutes

just more drugs to dull the senses

AIIZ

bx1

Post by bx1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Ug. I can't watch. I'm going hiking / camping this weekend to get my groove back...
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

bx1

Post by bx1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:40 pm

bump.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

Doc_Mo

Thank You for opening this thread . . .

Post by Doc_Mo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:57 pm

I have been hesitant to even look at burningman stuff because I do not want to heighten the longing I have felt to go home; but then, well into the week I just couldn't help myself. I am very sad to miss this year (and last) due to crazy life changes (having babies and moving to North Dakota of all places). For all others left behind big warm dusty love from another lonely burner! -I have found that the sting isn't quite so bad when I remind myself that this is just another year to work on fantastical costumes and do a little sewing.-
Big Huge warm playa hugs to all,
love Doc Mo (usually a blackrock lemonade chicka) sniffle
If you always do what you have always done,
You will always get what you have always gotten.

Return to “Open Discussion”