Bay Area events and attractions Nov. 4 - 6?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Bay Area events and attractions Nov. 4 - 6?

Post by Elliot » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:40 pm

:D
My cousin from Norway is coming to the Bay Area for a 48 hour visit November 4-6. So I'm planning to drive down from "my mountain" and join him in a bit of sight seeing. (Kind'a weird -- I live just 100 miles north, but I rarely visit the City.)

Any suggestions for places or events? We have just Thursday evening to Saturday afternoon. And we are not night club types. I'm going to start searching on the web now, but maybe you know of a burner art exhibit or something? Might we be able to visit that artist collective in Oakland?
:?: :D
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Dolores Park is a great place to spend part of an afternoon. Great views of the city too.

JK

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:09 pm

That looks like a nice spot, but my cousin lives in one of the most scenic spots on Earth, overlooking Oslo and the Oslo Fjord from his own living room, so we are in search of museums, concerts, art shows and such.

The California Academy of Sciences looks good -- and they have a Thursday night event. And the deYoung Museum, with a Friday night event. These conventional places are easy to find. Now I'm looking for the more Burner type stuff. (But nothing R-rated. We are more interested in technical and scientific stuff.)
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Dang Elliot,

If he were arriving two days earlier I'd suggest Dia de los Muertos.

Other than that nothing comes to mind.

Still, try this ( http://events.sfgate.com/search?cat=&sw ... y&st=event) and see if anything pops up.

And if you and your cousin are up for a drive you I hear that the town of Chico is having its annual post-Halloween Pumpkin Blight Festival.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks, that SFGate site looks useful.

I'd love to find something like a Maker Fair. Seems we missed an event at NIMBY in Oakland by a couple of weeks.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Are either of you into wine?

http://www.winerycollective.com/

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Thusday November 4th, game 7 of the world sreies, if needed.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:57 pm

I've been to Oslo! Stayed in the diving teams hotel....doors slamming at all hours...I was 18 and joined the fray...hahaha....paid for a dinner of 12 + me
with my dad's money...(he laughed) they loved it! Dollar was strong back then too...was a great deal.

Also, www.TheCollectiveCa.com David (Block I think?) gifted me a CD we all like it so much at my place, we are wearing it out! (will need to order a new one online, soon)

THANK YOU DAVID! You have a great heart and life!

Cd is www.TheHumanExperience.Bandcamp.com (upper lower case I'm not sure about?)

I think his email is: DAVIDONAMISSION@YAHOO.COM

A long time burner told me it is "ambient background burning man music" OK, great! To me, a newbie, it is CLASSIC burning man sounds...schweet!

Elliott...I hope you find something fun to do... 8)

Edit
PS I am not sure if I broke the rules here but, I am recommending what I think is a good deal...I did NOT realize the addys would show up as live links...I hope this can stay.

I don't even know if there are more CD's available or a price (will pay whatever!)worried cause we like it so *ucking much! and do NOT copy, we pay musicians...*hoping they still sell them :D )
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:57 am

Buy a hot dog, in Union Square. Visit the Stinking Rose on Columbus...just off Broadway.

Too bad Crowbars closed down!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:46 am

Exploratorium.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Yes, the Exploratorium is already on my list! I specially want to go thru the Tactile Dome, which I have heard about for decades.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:53 pm

Looks like we will be driving down to San Jose to visit the Tech Museum Of Innovation, so we can include that area in our search for other attractions.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Check to be sure but I think the Tactile Dome might need you to make reservations.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Thank you, yes I see that. The web site says reservations usually required, but not always. So if we luck out, fine, but if not, there appears to be plenty else to enjoy.

I said we are not night club types, but we would be interested in a bit of music Friday evening, perhaps with our dinner. Classic rock, blues, folk, bluegrass? I have no idea if there is such a thing as a casual restaurant with such live music on a Friday evening. In the small towns I'm familiar with, specially the college towns, there are often cafes with local musicians. Something like that would be great. I'm going to look more at the SFGate and other sites.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:04 pm

I don't know why I didn't think of this place sooner. We visited there for the first time this past summer on our trip up the Coast. It's in Napa, about 60 miles away from SF, but it's the largest private collection of the most significant art of the bay area in the world. Di Rosa Preserve http://www.dirosaart.org/ It's definitely worth the drive. It even has several pieces from David Best (one of his cars too) and other artists familiar to the Burner Community.

JK
JK

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Anybody familiar with a place called Biscuits And Blues on Mason Street in San Francisco? Looks like we can have dinner to blues music Friday evening, but it also looks like it might be the kind of place where you have to make a reservation well in advance?

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:11 pm

Never heard of it. Mason St. establishments are touristy enough that I'd imagine you might need to reserve.

FWIW sometimes just driving around the SF and getting partially lost will occasionally reveal a place that catches your attention. Park the car, step out and trust that a serendipitous choice will reveal a wondrous evening for you and your cousin.

Try not to plan too much and allow it all to unfold.

I don't mean to sound to hippie-shit about this but having lived in SF for over 20 years I've found that defaulting to the unknown and unplanned can often
provide a wondrous time.

For instance.... head out towards the avenues - 19th and such. Have dinner, have a few drinks and head across the street to GG Park for the requisite after dinner stroll and just amble along talking *with* each other so that you and your cousin can catch up on the things that matter.

Consider showing him a good time in the big city to be secondary to connecting with a family in a fantastic city with a grand park to stroll in.

BTJM.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:37 pm

You must be a mind reader, Ray! This occasion is precisely a miniature family reunion. This cousin was my "big brother" when we were kids. I played with him more than with my real brother. And we have recently decided (by e-mail) that we want to have a good talk.

Oh... and this business of just traipsing around and seeing what we find.... Sounds like BRC! :lol:

Funny thing, this cousin is probably the last person on Earth I would invite to Burning Man. Then again.... ....

Keep the suggestions coming, please!

cutmeoffandcallmeshorty

Post by cutmeoffandcallmeshorty » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:16 am

Elliot.
I will make this short and sweet, The Oakland art walk AKA Oakland art murmur on Friday Nov 5th, Google it !

Best fun you can have and it's only once a month.

Pm me if you wanna come with us old fucks

Regards Shorty....
"Tis better to be well disliked,
Than not liked at all."
Ned Kelly, 1884, Australian Outlaw.

Return to “Open Discussion”