Larry Harvey's Occupation???

All things outside of Burning Man.
velocirafter
Burning Since: 2007

Larry Harvey's Occupation???

Post by velocirafter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:53 am

Does Larry Harvey have a job outside of being the burning man founder/figurehead? Does he take a salary from BM?

It just occured to me when reading an article that he deosnt seem to have any expertise other than commenting on macro burning man issues.
Catch the beats, embrace them and let them go!! )*(

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:01 am

he is an Art Pimp, and he gets paid in bitches and cocaine.

duh.
Frida Be You & Me

velocirafter

Post by velocirafter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:03 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:he is an Art Pimp, and he gets paid in bitches and cocaine.

duh.
....ahhhhh, the simple life!!

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:49 am

I don't know what he did before BM took off, but I'd bet the farm that he now makes a (comfortable) living doing it. As he should. It's the American Dream come true.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:00 am

True...Hats off to the man!

I would bet according to all us "burners" he has the job of a lifetime!
Way better then presidency!

I mean for the most part isnt that what we've all sat around day dreaming about...How can I make money doing what I LOVE TO DO!

He did it!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:45 am

I read somewhere, several years ago, something that made me think his annual haul from BM was about $75-80k per year. Don't ask me for cites because it would take me forever to figure out where I read this. It was a newspaper or magazine article. I think. Last I read, he lives in a smallish apartment in a fashionable area of San Fran. But I confess I know very little about San Fran real estate prices, other than assuming they are sky high. So, this info is little more than rumor. I think his buy-out from Paperman is $10k.

Before BM, I think he was a carpenter/landscape architect, something like that.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:I read somewhere, several years ago, something that made me think his annual haul from BM was about $75-80k per year. Don't ask me for cites because it would take me forever to figure out where I read this. It was a newspaper or magazine article. I think. Last I read, he lives in a smallish apartment in a fashionable area of San Fran. But I confess I know very little about San Fran real estate prices, other than assuming they are sky high. So, this info is little more than rumor. I think his buy-out from Paperman is $10k.

Before BM, I think he was a carpenter/landscape architect, something like that.
My guess is that it would (should) be more. It's a multi-million dollar company that he is running. (not to mention, founded and owns)

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:19 pm

jkisha wrote:My guess is that it would (should) be more. It's a multi-million dollar company that he is running. (not to mention, founded and owns)
Not quite those three- CO-founded and CO-owns would be correct. The LLC is owned in part by Larry Harvey and Michael Mikel (Danger Ranger)- John Law is/was an original partner but I don't know how all the lawsuits in 2007 came out & if he's still a partner or not.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Eric wrote:
jkisha wrote:My guess is that it would (should) be more. It's a multi-million dollar company that he is running. (not to mention, founded and owns)
Not quite those three- CO-founded and CO-owns would be correct. The LLC is owned in part by Larry Harvey and Michael Mikel (Danger Ranger)- John Law is/was an original partner but I don't know how all the lawsuits in 2007 came out & if he's still a partner or not.
Interesting. I didn't know Danger Ranger was a co-owner. I seem to have heard of John Law. Wasn't aware of the lawsuit, but I guess there always has to be a lawsuit--just as soon as something starts to become profitable.

JK
JK

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Really, who the fuck cares?

Regardless of your position in life what do you think your feelings might be if fawning fans and chip-on-their-shoulder detractors were continually fucking speculating on your life or lifestyle or anything else that is really none of your fucking business.

What a lame fucking thread.

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:26 pm

my ceo relative looked at the whole burning man thing and said "wow, that guy is a genius!!!"

i concur. also with JK ... it's the american dream come true.

and i'm sorry, iso .... if someone finds a way to help 50K people escape the rat race without bankrupting themselves every year, he deserves to live whatever lifestyle he chuses .... and while i do not care what, exactly, that is, i can't help but feel a wee bit curious ....

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:36 pm

He used to be a landscaper..or something like that. I'm sure he still does it, when the addiction gets too strong.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:56 pm

Anyone who gives a damn about The Hat and his income stream raise your hand.

Crickets chirp.

More crickets.

Damn there's a lot of crickets around here.

In short case closed. Nobody else gives a rat's ass about it.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:02 am

Isotopia wrote: Regardless of your position in life what do you think your feelings might be if fawning fans and chip-on-their-shoulder detractors were continually fucking speculating on your life or lifestyle or anything else that is really none of your fucking business.
That's always been the worst part of my life.

velocirafter

Post by velocirafter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:02 am

Isotopia wrote:Really, who the fuck cares?

Regardless of your position in life what do you think your feelings might be if fawning fans and chip-on-their-shoulder detractors were continually fucking speculating on your life or lifestyle or anything else that is really none of your fucking business.

What a lame fucking thread.
Who took that jelly out of your donut!!!

It seems like a pretty reasonable question to ask about somebody with a public profile

velocirafter

Post by velocirafter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:05 am

Kinetic V wrote:Anyone who gives a damn about The Hat and his income stream raise your hand.

Crickets chirp.

More crickets.

Has it ever occurred to you to just NOT comment on a thread if you're not interested in the topic

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:12 am

velocirafter wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:Anyone who gives a damn about The Hat and his income stream raise your hand.

Crickets chirp.

More crickets.

Has it ever occurred to you to just NOT comment on a thread if you're not interested in the topic
Time to turn the tables. I want, no I fucking demand to know your income streams. What jobs do you do, how much do you make, I wanna know it all! Hell I might as well go even further and demand to know when you take a shit, what brand of TP you use, do you put the roll on over or under, and do you use wet wipes along with your TP?

Seriously it's NONE OF YOUR GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING BUSINESS. He's not a true public figure in the typical sense. Now if he's getting paid with tax dollars there's a precedent there for the public finding out someone's salary. Not that I agree with it but it's done and is what it is. But Larry Harvey is NOT being paid a salary from public tax dollars therefore he should enjoy the same privacy that you and I enjoy.

In short this whole fucking thread is a joke, and I don't give a flying rat's ass if you like my comments on it or you don't. Privacy rights deserve to be defended...and with them being eroded every fucking day the time for being nice about it is long gone.

Moving on today the request is about Larry's income. Tomorrow it could be about you. Step back and think about what you're asking for as you just might get it. But when the tables get turned and you feel violated because someone learns more about you than your mother even knows....don't whine. You opened the door for it to happen. Karma's a bitch and she always gets hers in the end. Protect privacy...before the little bit we all still enjoy is stripped under bullshit excuses. It starts...here...with little things like standing up to stupid asinine shit like this thread. Think about it.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:23 am

He wears a "Hat" that's all. He wares a ugly hat so boot.. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:25 am

velocirafter wrote:

Crickets chirp.

More crickets.

ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!!!!!!!

JK
JK

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:06 am

velocirafter wrote:

Crickets chirp.

More crickets.

I and Iso and Kinetic (and I'm sorry if either is upset for mentioning them in the same breath) don't care about Larry Harvey's money. However, I am (and I strongly suspect the others as well) really sick of the spirit underpinning the thread.
Over and over, year after year, thread after thread, self-righteous participant after self-righteous participant I have seen this question in various forms. It pretty much comes down to people feeling that Larry Harvey makes too much money and that this is a betrayal of the event and that he and the rest of the llc are raking it in at our expense.
Then come the wailing and complaints and vitriol about how he has betrayed the roots of burningman and this should be stopped and why are the rest of us acquiescing in such a travesty song and dance.
Burningman is a complicated party that takes year-round, full-time planning. It is not some sort of magical hippie feel-good event that just grows in the desert like a happy ring of mushrooms. Somebody has to be in charge and that someone has to make a reasonable amount of money to live in San Francisco, one of the more expensive cities in the country.
I'm known for not much liking Mr. Harvey, but I have to question the idea that the llc is somehow a worthless appendage that is sucking the event dry. I've certainly come to expect that anyone who asks that question soon progresses to some sort of manufactured outrage.
And yes, there are the privacy aspects.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:11 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
velocirafter wrote:

Crickets chirp.

More crickets.

I and Iso and Kinetic (and I'm sorry if either is upset for mentioning them in the same breath) don't care about Larry Harvey's money. However, I am (and I strongly suspect the others as well) really sick of the spirit underpinning the thread.
Over and over, year after year, thread after thread, self-righteous participant after self-righteous participant I have seen this question in various forms. It pretty much comes down to people feeling that Larry Harvey makes too much money and that this is a betrayal of the event and that he and the rest of the llc are raking it in at our expense.
Then come the wailing and complaints and vitriol about how he has betrayed the roots of burningman and this should be stopped and why are the rest of us acquiescing in such a travesty song and dance.
Burningman is a complicated party that takes year-round, full-time planning. It is not some sort of magical hippie feel-good event that just grows in the desert like a happy ring of mushrooms. Somebody has to be in charge and that someone has to make a reasonable amount of money to live in San Francisco, one of the more expensive cities in the country.
I'm known for not much liking Mr. Harvey, but I have to question the idea that the llc is somehow a worthless appendage that is sucking the event dry. I've certainly come to expect that anyone who asks that question soon progresses to some sort of manufactured outrage.
And yes, there are the privacy aspects.
What you say is true, but for some reason, I didn't feel that this thread was going in that direction. Maybe I should go back and re-read the thread, but frankly, I don't care all that much! ;)

JK
JK

velocirafter

Post by velocirafter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:57 am

Kinetic V -
I'm a telecoms engineer and i get paid an hourly rate, i never asked how much larry harvey makes so I wont reveal my own rate but lets just say it would be considered entry level. Just checked the TP but we are all out, normally I go for the best value 1 ply pack, dont really hang it up just leave in on top of the toilet, dont use wet wipes but have a pack in the car cus they are handy....

...now on to more pressing matters....

(the rest of the post isn't aimed directly at you Kinetic V but you are definitely included)

All I asked was did he have a job outside burning man (lecturer, artist, writer, poet.....) or if he took a salary from it. Nowhere did I express an opinion that he shouldn't take a salary or ask how much he makes or imply that we are being exploited for his own gain, to be honest I don't particularly care, I was just curious.

Further to that, never on this forum have I gone along with the narrative that BM has sold out or that people shouldn't be getting paid etc....

While i cannot speak for everyone elses comments I didn't think the tread was going that way.

I could just as easily ask the question about any entrepreneur, philanthropist or CEO(Jack Dorsey of twitter is just one example) and the reaction wouldnt be as strong. While I would be in no way entitled to the information a lot of the broad facts would be in the public arena. Larry is definitely entitled to a private life but he does have a public presence and just because its burning man in no way makes the topic off limits.

Some of the responses have been frankly over the top, aggressive, rude and totally unplaya.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:14 am

ISO, KINETIC, if you must know.....

I'm an Art Pimp, and i get paid in Bitches and Cocaine.
Frida Be You & Me

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Being Larry Harvey is an occupation.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Some of the responses have been frankly over the top, aggressive, rude and totally unplaya.
And when I hear (or read) how something said (or done) is un-burner like, not in the spirit of Burningman, against what Burningman stands for, etc., etc. it makes me reach down in my pocket for a big ol' 'fuck you.'

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:15 pm

Isotopia wrote:
And when I hear (or read) how something said (or done) is un-burner like, not in the spirit of Burningman, against what Burningman stands for, etc., etc. it makes me reach down in my pocket for a big ol' 'fuck you.'
+1
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:04 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:22 pm

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:52 am

velocirafter wrote: Some of the responses have been frankly over the top, aggressive, rude and totally unplaya.
However, the responses have been totally eplaya. Never get the two confused.

This is polite discourse, really. It could be worse, and it has been one upon a time.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:55 am

AntiM wrote:
velocirafter wrote: Some of the responses have been frankly over the top, aggressive, rude and totally unplaya.
However, the responses have been totally eplaya. Never get the two confused.

This is polite discourse, really. It could be worse, and it has been one upon a time.

ahhh the good old thermonuclear N-word days...

kinda miss them, dont you....

alphabet soup? wasnt that his name?
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Open Discussion”