Larry Harvey's Occupation???

All things outside of Burning Man.
velocirafter
Burning Since: 2007

Post by velocirafter » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 am

god i really wish i didnt say the unplaya thing, it has really taken the focus away from the content of the post
Catch the beats, embrace them and let them go!! )*(

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:14 am

Eric wrote:
They do have day jobs- they keep the event running.
Of course, you are right, Eric. Can I claim that I meant "day jobs" in the traditional sense of the term?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 am

Kinetic V wrote:Seriously it's NONE OF YOUR GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING BUSINESS.
To react this violently to this post says a lot about your present need for psychotherapy and/or your parents' complete failure to instill in you a modicum of class.

B the B

Post by B the B » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Valid ? for curiosity reasons cause I guess it's like "Does he live simply and LNT or does he feel the need for factories and jet planes" but either way the joke is on you if you think he makes too much cause anyway you look at it, at the very least, it's a huge respons-ability. And if you can figure out a way to ninja the gate or make $ doing your own thing that was fun and affirmative then you know he'd prolly tip is hat. I don't know the dude, but, just sayin...
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"

B the B

Post by B the B » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Valid ? for curiosity reasons cause I guess it's like "Does he live simply and LNT or does he feel the need for factories and jet planes" but either way the joke is on you if you think he makes too much cause anyway you look at it, at the very least, it's a huge respons-ability. And if you can figure out a way to ninja the gate or make $ doing your own thing that was fun and affirmative then you know he'd prolly tip is hat. I don't know the dude, but, just sayin...
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Burning Man is year round....nuff said!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:Seriously it's NONE OF YOUR GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING BUSINESS.
To react this violently to this post says a lot about your present need for psychotherapy and/or your parents' complete failure to instill in you a modicum of class.
That's violent?

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:12 pm

And here all this time I thought he was the Marlboro Man.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Big Red

Re: Larry Harvey's Occupation???

Post by Big Red » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Based on the more than $7million reported in salary's I would suspect he is a very wealthy man.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:25 am

Big Red wrote:Based on the more than $7million reported in salary's I would suspect he is a very wealthy man.

And I am very happy for him to have found such a beautiful way to make a living. Huzzah!

Sola Gangsta

Post by Sola Gangsta » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:40 am

Larry's situation in BRC, LLC probably has more to do with luck than skill. Skills only set you up for the possibility of windfall, but the landscape is littered with lots of highly skilled individuals who never seem to catch the whimsical currents of fortune which change on a dime through more factors than can possibly be accounted for through ones own actions. That is why they call it luck.
1II1I11I

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 am

My 2 cents..... Although I do not entirely agree with (or maybe just dont completely understand) the content of some of his speeches/writings, I can say that I am a fan of "The Hat" and what he and a handful of others have accomplished. I think being interested and curious about who he is is a very natural thing - he should write an autobiography. Having lived in California most all my life, I have had pretty good exposure to celebrities. Despite that, I have felt a little bit "starstruck" when I have had Larry sightings on the playa.

I don't care about how he wipes his ass or if he flosses regularly, but he is interesting and intriuging for other reasons, just like countless others that have achieved success or notoriety.

I think Sola Gangsta has a valid point as well. Sometimes our curiosity is like holding up a measuring stick to see the distance between ourselves and another individual whose achievements we admire. The whim of luck would close that gap significantly.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:34 am

Big Red wrote:Based on the more than $7million reported in salary's I would suspect he is a very wealthy man.
I don't know how many people are on payroll, but there are the other llc members, and various members of various departments who get paid year round. And it wasn't so long ago that someone had to defer his or her salery for a couple of weeks because there wasn't enough to go around.

This also tends to add to the impression that you are trollish.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
I don't know how many people are on payroll, but there are the other llc members, and various members of various departments who get paid year round. And it wasn't so long ago that someone had to defer his or her salery for a couple of weeks because there wasn't enough to go around.

This also tends to add to the impression that you are trollish.
+7
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:01 pm

There is a movie where our beloved Hat describes himself as a former cab driver and bicycle messenger. More specifically, he says he failed in those occupations. There was more in that vein, but I would have to watch the film again. He could have been kidding, but it didn't seem that way. The film may be either Dust Devils or Beyond Black Rock.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Elliot wrote:There is a movie where our beloved Hat describes himself as a former cab driver and bicycle messenger. More specifically, he says he failed in those occupations. There was more in that vein, but I would have to watch the film again. He could have been kidding, but it didn't seem that way. The film may be either Dust Devils or Beyond Black Rock.
"Burning Man - Beyond Black Rock" .. Watching it right now. You are 100%
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:57 am

Supreme Dear Leader and his Consort The Most Beautiful and Forceful Harley.
Frida Be You & Me

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:27 am

Who is John law?
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:28 am

Sola Gangsta wrote:Larry's situation in BRC, LLC probably has more to do with luck than skill. Skills only set you up for the possibility of windfall, but the landscape is littered with lots of highly skilled individuals who never seem to catch the whimsical currents of fortune which change on a dime through more factors than can possibly be accounted for through ones own actions. That is why they call it luck.
Hard to tell, isn't it? The truly skilled and humble often appear to be blessed with luck, while sometimes the merely lucky take credit for inventing their blessings.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:37 am

And then there's those who follow one of my favorite idioms, they get born on third base and think they've hit a triple.
The Lady with a Lamprey

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:05 am

John Law, if I recall correctly from doing a bit of research prior to my first burn, was one of the main three fellows (Larry and Michael Michael [sp.?]aka: Danger Ranger, being the other two), who were in large part the originators of Burning Man. Larry and a friend built the first man and took it down to Baker Beach the first year or two, but soon the Cacophony Society invited Larry out to the desert TAZ instead to burn his man. I'm thinking that it was about this time that Danger and John Law became heavily involved. As I recall, John Law was a scrappy dude with a strong sense of engineering, the one who did high wire cable work, lit the pyrotechnics, etc. At some point the three had a falling out, and while I believe Danger still shows up at the burn, I'm not sure of John Law's current status.

Perhaps there are some oldtimers here who can shed a better light on all of this. I for one, would love to hear more about the old days.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:14 pm

John William Vincent Law is also the Man who climbed the HELCO tower while it was being lit on fire in 1996.

i was there.
Frida Be You & Me

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:22 pm

burner von braun wrote:and while I believe Danger still shows up at the burn, I'm not sure of John Law's current status.
Danger Ranger is on the Board of Directors, and has been since the LLC formed. He founded the Rangers & still works with them, I'm not sure if he's in charge of the department or not. He is also one of the nicest people you'll meet- I'm a big fan of Danger.

No idea about Law.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:04 pm

Eric wrote:
burner von braun wrote:and while I believe Danger still shows up at the burn, I'm not sure of John Law's current status.
Danger Ranger is on the Board of Directors, and has been since the LLC formed. He founded the Rangers & still works with them, I'm not sure if he's in charge of the department or not. He is also one of the nicest people you'll meet- I'm a big fan of Danger.

No idea about Law.
DR is very nice.........I didn't know his vehicle, and pulled him over this year out by the airport.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:48 am

John Law has moved on from Burning Man. Larry does draw a salary, and serves as Executive Director of the BRC LLC. In addition to lectures and interviews, there is quite a bit of work involved in that. He has also helped to found the Black Rock Arts Foundation and now the Burning Man Project, a process which is still underway.

This is definitely my day job (I still pinch myself!), and my nights and some weekends job too. I've been an employee since the year 2000 when the non-LLC F/T staff was about 7 people by my memory - I went full time in 2001. We have around 37 full time employees, a few part timers, a number of contractors at any time and quite a few temporary summer staff for the production season. The salary figure in the Afterburn report is a rollup of all those salaries.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 am

i still like Supreme Dear Leader, it has a nice ring to it.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Open Discussion”