9/11

All things outside of Burning Man.

What really happened?

I tend to believe the official story, more or less.
23%
I tend to believe the official story, more or less.
23%
I think the gov't knew, but allowed it to happen.
11%
I think the gov't knew, but allowed it to happen.
11%
I think it was an inside job.
11%
I think it was an inside job.
11%
Other (explain)
5%
Other (explain)
5%

Total votes: 62

neon tetra

9/11

Post by neon tetra » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:48 am

I'm curious what people in this community think actually happened that day.

I would like to AVOID having this thread turn into the same tired arguments, however.
I mainly just want to run the poll, but I'm sure that some witty/snarky comments are inevitable.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:06 am

or maybe no one will care at all...

it's a fait accompli, a done deal, past history.

whattya gonna do, bring back JFK? Rebulid the Reichstag?

argue over something that will never be determined? or when it is will be so far in the future as for it REALLY not to matter?

or poll people for demographic research?

feh.
Frida Be You & Me

neon tetra

Re: 9/11

Post by neon tetra » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 am

neon tetra wrote:I'm curious

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:11 am

JUST WATCH OUT FOR THE MAN IN THE BIG YELLOW HAT

Frida Be You & Me

David M
Burning Since: 2009

Post by David M » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:13 am

Other - Government didn't know, official story mostly crap.

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:15 am

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:44 am

now bldg seven and all the files lost, that was osama's main target...

he wanted to fuck Henry Morganthau and his SEC investigation right up.

ya know, before the banks collap....

oh hell, nevermind.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:17 pm

It's my birthday
How do I get a hold of you?

You just contact the mayor's office. He has a special signal he shines in the sky; it's in the shape of a giant cock.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 pm

I like turtles!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:I like turtles!
We know, we know..

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Hey! Who's that dancing in the picture, junglesmacks? He looks like he might be related to me. (Although I like to think I am better at dancing than him.)

Oh, and on the topic. I think it will wind up like the Kennedy assassination-- whatever the truth is will wind up buried under a mountain of bullshit. (And, FWIW, I tend to believe that at least some of the people in the Bush Administration knew SOMETHING was going to happen [but not exactly what] and allowed it to happen to boost Bush's less than stellar popularity. To be honest, it is more of a "gut feeling" than anything else. My "gut feelings" on such things tend to be pretty accurate, but not enough to bank on. And I don't really have any proof. [insert more disclaimers as you wish.])

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:49 pm

BAS wrote:Hey! Who's that dancing in the picture, junglesmacks? He looks like he might be related to me. (Although I like to think I am better at dancing than him.)

Oh, and on the topic. I think it will wind up like the Kennedy assassination-- whatever the truth is will wind up buried under a mountain of bullshit. (And, FWIW, I tend to believe that at least some of the people in the Bush Administration knew SOMETHING was going to happen [but not exactly what] and allowed it to happen to boost Bush's less than stellar popularity. To be honest, it is more of a "gut feeling" than anything else. My "gut feelings" on such things tend to be pretty accurate, but not enough to bank on. And I don't really have any proof. [insert more disclaimers as you wish.])

That would be F_M in the flesh and fur.

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:50 pm

F_M? (I'm still a bit slow due to allergies.)

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:50 pm

BAS wrote:F_M? (I'm still a bit slow due to allergies.)
Fire Moose

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:17 pm

BAS wrote:Hey! Who's that dancing in the picture, junglesmacks? He looks like he might be related to me. (Although I like to think I am better at dancing than him.)

Well that sounds like a definite maybe if I ever heard one.

We've all seen the planes hit the buildings. We've all learned the buildings were designed to withstand a hit from a Boeing 707 which was the largest airliner at the time. And yeah, I've seen the pictures of the supposed shearing of support beams by explosives. Personally, I'm just glad those buildings fell relatively straight down instead of tipping over!

Isn't the full disclosure of the JFK assassination supposed to be released in 2015? Now that was a coverup of monumental proportions!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

JStep
Burning Since: 2011

Post by JStep » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Trishntek wrote: Well that sounds like a definite maybe if I ever heard one.

We've all seen the planes hit the buildings. We've all learned the buildings were designed to withstand a hit from a Boeing 707 which was the largest airliner at the time. And yeah, I've seen the pictures of the supposed shearing of support beams by explosives. Personally, I'm just glad those buildings fell relatively straight down instead of tipping over!
They did withstand being hit. They just didn't withstand being containers for massive quantities of burning jet fuel. Every credible (read, peer reviewed) study has concluded that the "inside job" conspiracy BS is just that. The whole thing pivoted on: Jet fuel burns at X degrees, and steel doesn't melt at that temperature. Any welder or metallurgist will tell you that at X degrees steel doesn't melt, but it does lose it's tensile strength and becomes soft and pliable. IE, won't hold up a building.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:52 pm

JStep wrote:

They did withstand being hit. They just didn't withstand being containers for massive quantities of burning jet fuel. Every credible (read, peer reviewed) study has concluded that the "inside job" conspiracy BS is just that. The whole thing pivoted on: Jet fuel burns at X degrees, and steel doesn't melt at that temperature. Any welder or metallurgist will tell you that at X degrees steel doesn't melt, but it does lose it's tensile strength and becomes soft and pliable. IE, won't hold up a building.
*and the crowd roars approval*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Trishntek wrote:

Isn't the full disclosure of the JFK assassination supposed to be released in 2015? Now that was a coverup of monumental proportions!
They were designed to fall straight down-- I remember reading that in school when they were built. And, as I said, my gut feeling is that it was allowed to happen by at least some members of the Bush Administration. (I dunno as George knew, since I doubt anyone really would trust him with a secret like that.)

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:11 pm

BAS wrote:
Trishntek wrote:

They were designed to fall straight down-- I remember reading that in school when they were built. And, as I said, my gut feeling is that it was allowed to happen by at least some members of the Bush Administration. (I dunno as George knew, since I doubt anyone really would trust him with a secret like that.)

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:00 pm

If Mr. Bush, or any of his handlers had known, that ridiculous scene with the Pet Goat wouldn't have happened. And Giuliani wouldn't have had the chance to steal the thunder.
People in the administration might have thought something was going to happen. There is no way that they knew that, or anything on that scale, was going to happen.
And now, of course, we get CBA out here and go through that garbage again.

Sometimes I wish I was endowed with the mysterious power to lock threads.

*sigh*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:39 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:If Mr. Bush, or any of his handlers had known, that ridiculous scene with the Pet Goat wouldn't have happened. And Giuliani wouldn't have had the chance to steal the thunder.
People in the administration might have thought something was going to happen. There is no way that they knew that, or anything on that scale, was going to happen.
And now, of course, we get CBA out here and go through that garbage again.

Sometimes I wish I was endowed with the mysterious power to lock threads.

*sigh*
Which is what I said.

I doubt a reasonable discussion on this is possible. Too many people's emotions/pet politics get in the way.

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:57 pm

ygmir wrote:
BAS wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: Sometimes I wish I was endowed with the mysterious power to lock threads.
Why not just use your power to not open them?

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:48 pm

It happened. I doubt it was allowed by the Bush administration. But, It was a convenient excuse to finish his daddy's war. Iraq DID have chemical weapons! We sold them to Saddam! He gave em all to the Kurds. Get on with your lives! Think! Don't React, next election year!

Fuck Tea Baggers!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 pm

http://911speakout.org

Science does not lie. Would you trust "government science"? Drink some BP oil then.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:00 pm

neon tetra wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote: Sometimes I wish I was endowed with the mysterious power to lock threads.
Why not just use your power to not open them?

The urge to vomit ignorance is too great?
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:54 am

JStep wrote:

How do you explain Tower 7 then? No jet fuel involved there.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:42 am

bldg 7? what bldg 7?

i dont see no bldg 7?

obviously you are crazy and should be locked up before your anti-american meme spreads.

lord knows we would never run a false flag operation...
Frida Be You & Me

RingO'Fire

Post by RingO'Fire » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:57 am

SilverOrange wrote:
JStep wrote:

How do you explain Tower 7 then? No jet fuel involved there.
The National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST) issued their final report on the cause of WTC Building 7's collapse in 2008. I just read through most of it, and their explanation of the events leading up to and the causes of the collapse all sound very reasonable to me (a scientist and engineer with about 20 years experience, but admittedly no expert on fire, material strength, or structural engineering).

Also, as I look at the list of roughly 200 or so contributors to the report, I don't think that there's any way that you could get this many scientists and engineers to (a) agree to participate in a cover-up, and (b) have all of them keep their mouths shut about it. They clearly state in the beginning of the report that there are siginficant uncertainties, but they also appear to have gone to extraordinary lengths to document, deduce, and model the events & causes leading to the collapse of WTC 7.

"The Probable Collapse Sequence" starts on Page 19 of the report: http://wtc.nist.gov/media/NIST_NCSTAR_1 ... omment.pdf
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...

Return to “Open Discussion”