islam,, a danger or not

All things outside of Burning Man.
User avatar
daratheresa
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: NNY
Contact:

Post by daratheresa » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:05 am

neon tetra wrote:Dara, I'm still waiting for an apology.
patience is a virtue.

i spend a lot of times waiting for things. it's part of life. like right now, i'm waiting for a year for my husband to come home. all this waiting, it's a great time for introspection and deep thinking. wait a while. gain some insight. then i'll apologize. :) hugs and shit.
"So baptize me in the stars
And wrap me in nighttime"
~s.w.

User avatar
neon tetra
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Post by neon tetra » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:05 am

The CO wrote:I think you will be waiting a long time.
I have till next year.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/earthfragments2/bug.gif[/img]

User avatar
The CO
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ, Van Nuts, CA

Post by The CO » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:07 am

Then what happens?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

User avatar
neon tetra
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Post by neon tetra » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:12 am

The CO wrote:Then what happens?
I guess I'll forget about it. :P In 11 hours, I'll be enjoying the music of one of my favorite bands & won't really be thinking about eplaya. :D
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/earthfragments2/bug.gif[/img]

User avatar
The CO
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ, Van Nuts, CA

Post by The CO » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:24 am

<Sets the way-forward machine in hopes of getting nt to the concert>
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

User avatar
JStep
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:19 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Post by JStep » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:59 pm

For Yg:

Image
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:42 pm

jstep, THAT is priceless. :D
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29372
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:46 pm

JStep wrote:For Yg:

Image
+10 and a big smooch............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14648
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:53 pm

JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
daratheresa
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: NNY
Contact:

Post by daratheresa » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:15 pm

jkisha wrote:Here's something...

http://www.ted.com/talks/lesley_hazelto ... 2011-01-04

JK
i second this...
"So baptize me in the stars
And wrap me in nighttime"
~s.w.

User avatar
Eric
Moderator
Posts: 9332
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly
Contact:

Post by Eric » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:38 pm

daratheresa wrote:
jkisha wrote:Here's something...

http://www.ted.com/talks/lesley_hazelto ... 2011-01-04

JK
i second this...
I third it. I only wish it was longer- she's a great speaker & does it with grace and humor.

Brilliant speech. If she ever comes to the Bay Area and does a seminar on this I'm attending.

edit: I liked it so much I've just ordered her book on the Sunni-Shia split: "After the Prophet"
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14648
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Eric wrote:
daratheresa wrote:
jkisha wrote:Here's something...

http://www.ted.com/talks/lesley_hazelto ... 2011-01-04

JK
i second this...
I third it. I only wish it was longer- she's a great speaker & does it with grace and humor.

Brilliant speech. If she ever comes to the Bay Area and does a seminar on this I'm attending.

edit: I liked it so much I've just ordered her book on the Sunni-Shia split: "After the Prophet"
Let me know what you think of the book.

TED only gives them 15 minutes...she only used 9.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:36 am

I've been going on and on about lack of jobs. Here are some numbers from Saudi Arabia.
"The unemployment rate for Saudis between the ages of 20 and 24 is 43%. And 40% of the entire population is under 15 years old." Yemen is similar and Pakistan is worse,, supposedly.
Saudi is a bit different because they look-down on work. They bring in tons of foreign workers. Just imagine 40 % under 15. What possible future do they have.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14648
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:59 am

can't sit still wrote:I've been going on and on about lack of jobs. Here are some numbers from Saudi Arabia.
"The unemployment rate for Saudis between the ages of 20 and 24 is 43%. And 40% of the entire population is under 15 years old." Yemen is similar and Pakistan is worse,, supposedly.
Saudi is a bit different because they look-down on work. They bring in tons of foreign workers. Just imagine 40 % under 15. What possible future do they have.
The figures for some of those countries can be deceiving, as some of the oil rich kings give a stipend to their citizens. So, even though they might not be employed, they aren't starving and living in abject poverty. Nor in many cases are they even looking to work.

But I understand your point.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 19005
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:18 am

[youtube][/youtube]
Frida Be You & Me

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:10 am

jk, i don't know if you've ever been to the ghetto,,, the Indian reservations,,, the North slope of Alaska. I've been to all of them. Living on a stipend rots the brain for a lot of men. Alcoholism is common.
In Alaska, they have the Native Lands Settlement Act. LOTSA money. In Barrow, AK, the elders voted the town "dry". There was no shortage of money so the drunks just called the liquor store in Fairbanks and had their brew flown in. The town was very dangerous last time that I was there. It would seem that an escape from hand-to-mouth living would be a good thing. It appears that it removes the whole "center" from a man's life.
I saw the same with the aborigines in OZ. They were OK as long as they remained in their tribal surroundings. If they ventured into the Western world, they usually had problems with alcohol.
In a hunter-gatherer society, it becomes immediately obvious if the population "over runs" the food supply. In today's world, that's not true. Many countries are WAY beyond their domestic food production. By this summer [northern latitude], the increasing weather problems are going to create huge strains on the food supply. The desert countries will not be able to cope. A stipend is better than starvation but, it isn't going to make everybody happy.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14648
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:28 am

can't sit still wrote:jk, i don't know if you've ever been to the ghetto,,, the Indian reservations,,, the North slope of Alaska. I've been to all of them. Living on a stipend rots the brain for a lot of men. Alcoholism is common.
In Alaska, they have the Native Lands Settlement Act. LOTSA money. In Barrow, AK, the elders voted the town "dry". There was no shortage of money so the drunks just called the liquor store in Fairbanks and had their brew flown in. The town was very dangerous last time that I was there. It would seem that an escape from hand-to-mouth living would be a good thing. It appears that it removes the whole "center" from a man's life.
I saw the same with the aborigines in OZ. They were OK as long as they remained in their tribal surroundings. If they ventured into the Western world, they usually had problems with alcohol.
In a hunter-gatherer society, it becomes immediately obvious if the population "over runs" the food supply. In today's world, that's not true. Many countries are WAY beyond their domestic food production. By this summer [northern latitude], the increasing weather problems are going to create huge strains on the food supply. The desert countries will not be able to cope. A stipend is better than starvation but, it isn't going to make everybody happy.
I haven't been, and I have no reason to doubt your observations. But your mention of food shortages reminded me of this article I posted on Facebook last week:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... works-to-g

Soon you won't need farmers or land to enjoy a nice juicy steak, they're growing meet in the laboratory now.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:58 pm

We often hear the word "Islam" coupled with terrorist or some other negative connection. The Egyptians are trying to dispel the negatives. This is an interesting letter;
http://www.henrymakow.com/egyptians_are ... _hope.html
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:35 pm

I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Sail Man
Posts: 4523
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious
Location: 20 Minutes into the Future

Post by Sail Man » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:40 pm

jkisha wrote:
can't sit still wrote:jk, i don't know if you've ever been to the ghetto,,, the Indian reservations,,, the North slope of Alaska. I've been to all of them. Living on a stipend rots the brain for a lot of men. Alcoholism is common.
In Alaska, they have the Native Lands Settlement Act. LOTSA money. In Barrow, AK, the elders voted the town "dry". There was no shortage of money so the drunks just called the liquor store in Fairbanks and had their brew flown in. The town was very dangerous last time that I was there. It would seem that an escape from hand-to-mouth living would be a good thing. It appears that it removes the whole "center" from a man's life.
I saw the same with the aborigines in OZ. They were OK as long as they remained in their tribal surroundings. If they ventured into the Western world, they usually had problems with alcohol.
In a hunter-gatherer society, it becomes immediately obvious if the population "over runs" the food supply. In today's world, that's not true. Many countries are WAY beyond their domestic food production. By this summer [northern latitude], the increasing weather problems are going to create huge strains on the food supply. The desert countries will not be able to cope. A stipend is better than starvation but, it isn't going to make everybody happy.
I haven't been, and I have no reason to doubt your observations. But your mention of food shortages reminded me of this article I posted on Facebook last week:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... works-to-g

Soon you won't need farmers or land to enjoy a nice juicy steak, they're growing meet in the laboratory now.

JK
[youtube][/youtube]
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.
_______________________________________

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:42 pm

It seems that Saudi and Iran are in a cold-war that may heat up. This is a very informative article. The problem centers on Shia-Sunni rivalry;
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 83816.html
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sun May 08, 2011 8:12 am

The Sunni-Shia rivalry doesn't seem to be causing enough trouble for Islamists. There is an emerging group that spreading a bad sort of fundamentalism.
"The once quiescent Salafis have become more assertive post-revolution in trying to spread their ultraconservative version of an Islamic way of life. In particular, they have focused their wrath on Egypt's Christians, who make up 10 percent of the country's 80 million people."
"large mob of Muslims toward the St. Menas church. Christians created a human barricade around the church and clashes erupted"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110508/ap_ ... an_clashes
In too many cases, Islam demands tolerance when it's adherents are a minority and then forbids tolerance when it's adherents are a majority.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14648
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Sun May 08, 2011 8:28 am

can't sit still wrote: In too many cases, Islam demands tolerance when it's adherents are a minority and then forbids tolerance when it's adherents are a majority.
In too many cases, Islam demands tolerance when it's adherents are a minority and then forbids tolerance when it's adherents are a majority.

In too many cases, Christians demand tolerance when it's adherents are a minority and then forbids tolerance when it's adherents are a majority.

In too many cases, Jews demand tolerance when it's adherents are a minority and then forbids tolerance when it's adherents are a majority.

Such is life. Personally this would be my truth.

In too many cases, Athiests demand tolerance when it's adherents are a minority and then forbids tolerance when it's adherents are a majority, as it should be. Religion, in general, is the root of most things evil in the world today.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
TomServo
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:17 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Post by TomServo » Sun May 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Organized religion is our biggest threat!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sun May 08, 2011 4:43 pm

JK, I won't argue with you or Tom. CURRENTLY, the various followers of J.C. aren't burning down mosques,,, as far as I've read. Judaism and Islam are both cursed with too many rabid fundamentalists. I think that the education level of the various practitioners has a lot to do with the associated violence. The more educated and and informed the populace, the less likely they are to blindly follow dogma.
I asked BB Sue to delete a post of mine because I had mixed culture with religion. Some of the things that we blame on religion should be blamed on culture. My impression of men in Middle-Eastern Arab counties is; the mothers never taught their little boys to respect women.
Honor-killing is about protecting one's OWN honor, not the girl. The veil and the escort is all about protecting the honor of the family. The world is changing and the fundamentalists don't feel at all comfortable with this. Educated women are a threat to machismo.
Jordan is a good example of what a mid-eastern country could be. The culture there "feels" much different.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Isotopia
Posts: 2847
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:26 am

Post by Isotopia » Sun May 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Let the record show that we're in total agreement.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:30 pm

It looks like the Sunni-Shia rivalry might heat up. Saudi is arming to the teeth;
http://www.taipanpublishinggroup.com/tp ... 173&r=Milo
They're buying 1,000 tanks, and may be expecting a land war. That would light up oil fields in both countries and make toast out of Kuwait. I vote NO !
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

Post Reply

Return to “Open Discussion”