re-purposing old stuff for new creative uses

All things outside of Burning Man.
lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

re-purposing old stuff for new creative uses

Post by lemur » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:56 pm

i had a pretty big geek out moment when i noticed this.. forgive me

but i noticed in star trek voyager in the background, a dial that looked familiar to me... It is the dial on the enlarger timer in my darkroom.... probably from around the 1950s or so.. being used on a ship in 2377 (i looked it up) .....is this what 'steampunk' will be in the 24th century??!

....for some reason this type of re-purposing made me think of burning man creations and i figured that, even while a shameful moment of trek geekery, that some might be inspired.... or something

anyways,.. happy new year!
Don't link to anything here!

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:59 am

Re-purposing has been my biggest inspiration for most of my creative projects over the years.
Prior to eBay, flea markets were much more plentiful, and people would bring truckloads of odd items from homes, warehouses, offices, factories etc.
When I found a really unusual item, I would buy it and make something new and differant from it. Motors, lights, pumps and switches were just some of the fun things I would start with.

Telephones were usually the starting point of my re-purposing creations, and I worked hard to keep the phones working after they were re-worked.

I ended up making hundreds of projects like these. Here is a tiny corner of my stuff.

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:54 am

[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/earthfragments2/bug.gif[/img]

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:05 am

[quote="neon tetraImage

[/quote]

that is seriously cool
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:15 am

Thier Mike Reynolds Earth Ships!

See "Garbage Warrior".
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:48 am

there is/was a very cool example of that, at "Thunder Mountain" between Winnemucca and Lovelock .
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:41 am

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 443547063#

If I was 20yrs younger. Hells yes! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:02 am

if you start now, in 20 years, you could say:
"I started this 20 years ago".......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:49 am

A few years back I saw some sci-fi show where the walls of 'the ship' were made from plastic post office pallets. Post office pallets are pretty unique so it's easy to spot them. I wondered if the producers ever got called on using gov. property in their show.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:08 am

I am shure the plant that makes those pallets is not owned by the post office or the government.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:38 am

There's some pieces of the Star Trek Enterprise's bridge (including Kirk's chair) from the original television show in Seattle's Sci Fi Museum inside the EMP (Experience Music Project). It was really neat to see how humble and recognizable some of the buttons and switches were. (I've seen beautiful steampunk costumes at Comicon that are more intricate.) I don't mean to slag the originals at all, but we're virtually all capable of the same daring if we just have the courage to get started.

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to taking a pair of desert goggles over to a friend's house and experimenting on them with some "Rub & Buff" craft paint (for starters).

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Shambala wrote:Re-purposing has been my biggest inspiration for most of my creative projects over the years.
Prior to eBay, flea markets were much more plentiful, and people would bring truckloads of odd items from homes, warehouses, offices, factories etc.
When I found a really unusual item, I would buy it and make something new and differant from it. Motors, lights, pumps and switches were just some of the fun things I would start with.

Telephones were usually the starting point of my re-purposing creations, and I worked hard to keep the phones working after they were re-worked.

I ended up making hundreds of projects like these. Here is a tiny corner of my stuff.
That's a great picture--both of you and of your stuff. (although, as I don't recall ever meeting you, I have nothing to compare the picture to however.)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Bounce530
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:16 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I am shure the plant that makes those pallets is not owned by the post office or the government.
you're right. They are made by Caddilac Products, inc. Not gov or PO owned, but they are of very specific design just for the PO.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:50 pm

Shambala wrote:Re-purposing has been my biggest inspiration for most of my creative projects over the years.

what a cutie! love the stuff too.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:46 pm

I have an old, black, 1970's phone Sham...I wonder if I can sell it for much?
Looks like you know vintage phones, duh! (I'll try to send a pic)

I have a duplex, the storage areas are crammed with interesting junk, this spring I'm gonna have a yard sale, it'll generate a few bucks, I hope.
(I blew it off to plan for BM, 2010, lmfao b/c now there's a TTITD keeper pile also!)

Does anyone know where the donation place for burning man in Reno will be next spring? (Gerlach is too far) I plan to donate whatever doesn't sell and is useful for BM, the rest can go to Goodwill. (I hope you're OK w/a Goodwill plug AntiM)

Also, the households and estates up in Tahoe literally give this stuff away, especially on Sundays. Anyone cruising the lake, you might want to try to check the yard sales out. (I can't stop but I'm gonna be much more selective)
Piles of useful building materials, weird odds and ends, mention burning man and often they know or learn when explained and give it away in the name of art.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Moonrise, I have more phones than I know what to do with for the rest of my life. The 70s phones are still plentiful at yard sales, so they're not worth much more than $5.00 now. Hang on to it and the value will go up.

JK, I met you at the M&G in 2009 and we chatted for a while. One of us didn't show up in 2010, so we didn't talk then.

Tamara, you're making me blush. Go on---really, go on! :D

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:31 pm

ooops, double post and I can't think of anything clever to write!

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Shambala wrote:Moonrise, I have more phones than I know what to do with for the rest of my life. The 70s phones are still plentiful at yard sales, so they're not worth much more than $5.00 now. Hang on to it and the value will go up.

JK, I met you at the M&G in 2009 and we chatted for a while. One of us didn't show up in 2010, so we didn't talk then.

I was there in 2010...so it must have been you that didn't show up. :( Well, hopefully we will renew acquaintances in 2011.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:05 pm

jkisha wrote:
Shambala wrote:Moonrise, I have more phones than I know what to do with for the rest of my life. The 70s phones are still plentiful at yard sales, so they're not worth much more than $5.00 now. Hang on to it and the value will go up.

I was there in 2010...so it must have been you that didn't show up. :( Well, hopefully we will renew acquaintances in 2011.

JK
I was there in 2010, but I may have been busy tormenting and ridiculing ygmir! It's what I do best. :D

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Shambala wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK
I was there in 2010, but I may have been busy tormenting and ridiculing ygmir! It's what I do best. :D
yes, yes you were.......you bastard bully!!! just call me britney.
and, being the demure fellow I am, I had no choice but to curl up in that corner, sit rocking back and forth sucking my thumb, and hope you'd go away..........
You're a beast and a tormentor..........and I wither in your presence.

now

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:13 am

I guess an apology should be in order, but it's so much fun poking you with a stick while you're curled up. I thought that was part of the performance art, and we were all supposed to be calling you names.

[youtube][/youtube]

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:18 am

Geez, y'alls sound evil. I'm glad I skipped the meet 'n greet this year.

I might have to skip it again next year so my delicate self doesn't get injured.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:29 am

Eric wrote:Geez, y'alls sound evil. I'm glad I skipped the meet 'n greet this year.

I might have to skip it again next year so my delicate self doesn't get injured.
It won't work Eric, we will find you and "bring" you there, where you will be forced to drink two-buck chuck and mingle.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:48 am

ouch, $5.00 for an old, 70's phone, no wonder it was a freebie, LOL
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Post by Zhust » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:29 am

Whenever I see one of those plastic signs that someone jammed into a lawn to fleece someone looking for a used car, I think, "FREE GATORBOARD!1!!"

I want to do a test to see if you glue two pieces 90° rotated if you can make it relatively strong. I might be using that to make shipping crates a.k.a. shelters for next year.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:02 am

Eric wrote:Geez, y'alls sound evil. I'm glad I skipped the meet 'n greet this year.

*scratching head*

yeah, but...........who.......uh...weren't you the handso....dang.

*walks away muttering*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Open Discussion”