I've been bad

All things outside of Burning Man.
moonstonerick

I've been bad

Post by moonstonerick » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:40 am

Well after a lot checking it turns out I need to get a waiver to enter the states. There are lots companies offering their services and alot of scams.

Has anyone had any dealings with these companies. I'm looking for reputable service for a fair price.
waiting to get devirginized

weirdscience

Post by weirdscience » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:05 am

why do you need a waiver if you dont mine me askin
Who's awesome? You're awesome! :) .

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:30 am

Is this for work, school, or visiting?

I'm going to guess based on the title of the thread that you may have a "background issue" from something you may have done in the past which is requiring a visa waiver.

I would advise meeting with an immigration lawyer. That would be your best bet.

I dealt with this issue going from US to Canada for a work permit. In my case, it literally came down to phrasing on my US conviction, compared to Canadian law. I got my work permit & temp. resident permit on a difference of which words were used (Hooray technicalities!).

Now if it is a work thing, you probably need a B1 visa. Again, immigration lawyer. If you are trying to work, the company sponsoring you should be able to help.

If it's a school thing, the institution you attend or wish to attend should be able to help or at least provide some information.

Best of luck.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

The CO

Post by The CO » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:00 am

I should add-

I did not go through a lawyer or any company like what you describe. I showed up at the Montreal airport still on probation with my sponsoring employer paperwork, a charming smile, and a good attitude. 1 hour 45 min later I was in the country legally with a wad of permits in my passport.

Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, actual results may differ.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:23 am

The CO wrote:I should add-

I did not go through a lawyer or any company like what you describe. I showed up at the Montreal airport still on probation with my sponsoring employer paperwork, a charming smile, and a good attitude. 1 hour 45 min later I was in the country legally with a wad of permits in my passport.

Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, actual results may differ.
Was this Pre 911? big changes since.

The CO

Post by The CO » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:30 am

Nope, well after.

manydaze84

SECURITY WAIVER = CASH COW

Post by manydaze84 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:35 pm

DO NOT GET A SECURITY WAIVER......if you've never had an issue going to the states before. basically if they are not yet ''aware'' of your past convictions.

if you have a criminal conviction in canada, apply for a canadian pardon. a pardon seals your criminal conviction from being visible to usa authorities. it IS true that american authorities do not recognize a canadian pardon, but they will not have access to your past convictions once you have been pardoned for them.

once you apply for the security waiver you are screwed. you have to pay like six hundred bucks every year forever, if you ever want to visit the states and also , they might only grant you a single-port, single entry security waiver, meaning you may get approved to fly in and out of reno for BM, but a trip to NYC later this year isnt covered.

CAnadian pardon takes about 3-6 months so apply now. and your conviction has to be at least 3 years old.

with a Canadian pardon, unless your past conviction is like terrorism or majorinternational drug trafficking, the USA wont be able to 'dig any deeper' or unless your someone else on your flight is acting suspicious.

I know all this because my dad went through this entire process which is a freaking joke - all thanks to a 1981 ''narcotics'' charge, aka, smoking a joint.

moonstonerick

Post by moonstonerick » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:04 pm

thank you Manydaze I'll have to check into that. I just don't want to go through all the work and planning to go to BM just to be stopped at the boarder. That would SUCK.
waiting to get devirginized

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:36 pm

great, we're gonna get invaded by "ner do wells" from Canukastan.

I say, just walk in backwards, and wave.
they'll think you're leaving.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Can we start making dominatrix jokes, yet?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Open Discussion”