Who is actually funding the national debt?

All things outside of Burning Man.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14646
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:32 pm

can't sit still wrote: jk, with no prejudice meant,,, STOP reading.
You can go about your daily life without knowing this shit.
Your take is interesting, but misses my point. It's not necessary to stop reading, but to be able to discern the credibility of the authors you choose to read. Some people read and believe the Bible too. What you say I don't know, I assert is fiction, made from the minds of the paranoid and delusional.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:09 pm

jk, essentially, credibility doesn't exist for future projections. One can't believe something that hasn't yet come to pass. My "measuring stick" is past accuracy.
Look at the accuracy of Krugman and Bernanke.
Look at the accuracy of GEAB 2020, Jim Willie et al.
Will Bernanke all of a sudden become right / correct?
Will Jim Rogers all of a sudden become wrong / inaccurate?
Another yardstick is parallel / previous history. In all cases, when debt passed 84% of GDP, the economy collapsed. Time will tell.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14646
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:28 pm

can't sit still wrote:jk, essentially, credibility doesn't exist for future projections. One can't believe something that hasn't yet come to pass. My "measuring stick" is past accuracy.
Look at the accuracy of Krugman and Bernanke.
Look at the accuracy of GEAB 2020, Jim Willie et al.
Will Bernanke all of a sudden become right / correct?
Will Jim Rogers all of a sudden become wrong / inaccurate?
Another yardstick is parallel / previous history. In all cases, when debt passed 84% of GDP, the economy collapsed. Time will tell.
Yup, time will tell. I'm just glad I'm old and have no regrets. ;-)

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Sail Man
Posts: 4523
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious
Location: 20 Minutes into the Future

Post by Sail Man » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:59 am

theCryptofishist wrote:*eats crow*
Tastes better sauted in a nice honey dijon marinade and served with a side of cat tails

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.
_______________________________________

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

User avatar
Ugly Dougly
Posts: 17157
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Burning Since: 1996
Location: เชียงใหม่
Contact:

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:05 am

Actually, I was just preparing her some stir-fry crow with hoi sin sauce. ;)

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Skip the ho, I'll take the sin.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
BAS
Posts: 4257
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:46 pm
Burning Since: 2006
Location: Wisconsin

Post by BAS » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:08 am

...and here I thought the debt was being funded by a yak-rancher in Tibet... :shock:


Hey, Cryptofishist, if you don't want the 'ho, can I have her? :wink:


Right now, I figure there really isn't much I can do in the short term with regards to a financial collapse. My long term plans are to find some way to get off grid, anyway, since I really don't like monthly bills and would like to reduce them as much as possible. So, weirdly, this and the other threads predicting economic hard times really don't have much impact on my plans... (Maybe an up side to poverty? :? Okay, now I am confused, so think I will go lie down for awhile....)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:02 am

Yeah, sure, go to town.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:42 pm

This is an excellent article on our national debt. It proposes that we stiff numero uno,,,, the FED;
http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1297618200.php
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14646
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:52 pm

can't sit still wrote:This is an excellent article on our national debt. It proposes that we stiff numero uno,,,, the FED;
http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1297618200.php
I think I need to get better informed on the FED. Interesting article, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on it, so I don't know what the consequences of his proposal might be. Do you?

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:57 pm

JK, the FED is a consortium of private banks that "constitute" our central bank. They print our money and charge us $ billions in interest to use it. The original idea was to screw us good. The original stated idea was to be independent of GOV so that they would have some independence to pursue monetary policy with GOV controlling them.
The FED was forced on us in 1913. 16 years later, their policies caused the great depression [1].

Much of this crash was rightly blamed on the FED. The SEC had a lot of responsibility also.
I believe that the Greenspan bubbles were blown at the behest of the U.S. GOV. Worldwide competition was killing our manufacturing base. The FED blew bubbles to maintain our standard of living for a while longer.
Several years ago, the FED was tasked with the job of maintaining high employment. This is obviously impossible in a declining economy. Global wage arbitration was draining jobs. The FED printed money and GOV dispersed it to it's employees. This added money to the economy and bought jobs and loyalty of GOV employees.

The House of Representatives is where all spending bills originate. The FED regularly blames the House for all the spending. The FED prints the money. The GOV earmarks it and spends it.
True, the FED sent hundreds of $billions to foreign banks. Don't forget, these foreign banks bought hundreds of $ billions in toxic assets. The FED secretly reimbursed them for their losses,,, to avoid prosecution from Interpol.

In essence, everyone but the poor was defrauded by Greenspan's bubbles. Everyone was robbed by the resulting inflation.

The FED is just a greedy bunch of bankers with Bernanke as their mouthpiece. Everyone wants to blame Bernanke;
http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north944.html

In truth, there was plenty of malfeasance. BUT, much of the problem is / was from market forces. The stupid consumer is to blame for buying all the foreign manufactured stuff. The runaway greed on wall street was a big influence.

The Viet-Nam war was the first step that caused the dollar to go off the gold standard. Runaway printing followed. Things got worse as we tried mightily to expand our empire.
The projected deficit is $ 1.5 trillion but, it looks to reach $ 2 trillion this year.
The FED is printing like mad. Several years ago, Bernanke authored a good paper showing that quantitative easing does NOT work.

He knows that he is doing wrong and that it is ultimately FUTILE.
Congressman Reid proposed $ 72 billion in budget cuts but, later said that it was too draconian.

The FED is the boogeyman here but, market forces and political forces are huge factors.
Obama proved that he can't create jobs. The FED can't create jobs. Only market forces can create jobs. Shifting all the R&D and creativity into the military sector has left us stagnated. There are plenty of "drivers" for our problems. The FED is just one.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 am

I left out the part where the FED is buying up zillions of dollars of bad debt from major banks. It's an incestuous relationship between the member banks of the FED and the other powerful banks. There is a lot of dancing around on policy;
http://www.philstockworld.com/2011/02/1 ... nt=Twitter

It's still gets down to spending by GOV;
"But here is the essential fact I want to emphasize and have you think about today: The Fed could not monetize the debt if the debt were not being created by Congress in the first place….The Fed does not create government debt; Congress does."

GOV has gotten WAY too expensive to operate. GOV mandates the FED to supply it with money.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 19002
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:07 am

Frida Be You & Me

User avatar
Trishntek
Posts: 3463
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Contact:

Post by Trishntek » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:who the fuck you THINK is funding the debt, bitches?


now you know.
suddenly,,,,, i think i want my mommy,,,,,
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Who is actually funding the national debt?

Post by can't sit still » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 pm

It's just a blip at the moment but, someone is unloading U.S. treasuries;
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/foreigner ... ow-history
It could be that the Chinese are unhappy about the looming trade war.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5864
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: Who is actually funding the national debt?

Post by BBadger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 pm

Why don't you ever use reputable sites for your claims? Sites like Zerohedge, Rense.com or other goofy fringe and conspiracy websites are an absolute waste of time.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
knowmad
Posts: 3291
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB
Location: Puget Sound

Re: Who is actually funding the national debt?

Post by knowmad » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Among the aftershocks of the 9-11 attacks on America was the colossal budget-busting on "homeland security" -- a spending binge that, additionally, was thought to require something approaching uniform disbursement of funds throughout the 50 states. (Endless "what if" possibilities left no legislator willing to forsake maximum security.) Among the questionable projects described in a Los Angeles Times August review were the purchase of an inflatable Zodiac boat with wide-scan sonar -- in case terrorists were eyeing Lake McConaughy in Keith County, Neb.; cattle nose leads, halters and electric prods (to protect against biological attacks on cows, awarded to Cherry County, Neb.); a terrorist-proof iron fence around a Veterans Affairs hospital near Asheville, N.C.; and $557,400 in communications and rescue gear in case North Pole, Alaska, got hit.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri

User avatar
International Incident
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Who is actually funding the national debt?

Post by International Incident » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Kittens. They have a cute fund. And as part of the cat take over of the world they are controlling the world economy by "innocently" standing on imp people's and bankers keyboards AT THE SAME TIME all over the world and messing with the USA economy.

This is because of the habit of USA presidents to have pet dogs. The cats are not happy.

User avatar
International Incident
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Who is actually funding the national debt?

Post by International Incident » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:52 pm

I am officially a thread killer. Sorry to the folks that were having a serious conversation

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Who is actually funding the national debt?

Post by can't sit still » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:03 pm

melaniejane, you've killed nothing. All input is welcome. There is always the possibility that the cats are an over-looked factor in international relations. NEVER apologize. The understanding people don't need it. The uptight people need to be regularly harassed for their own good. :D
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
International Incident
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Who is actually funding the national debt?

Post by International Incident » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:18 pm

can't sit still wrote:melaniejane, you've killed nothing. All input is welcome. There is always the possibility that the cats are an over-looked factor in international relations. NEVER apologize. The understanding people don't need it. The uptight people need to be regularly harassed for their own good. :D
Thanks mate!

Post Reply

Return to “Open Discussion”