SAVE TOM FALVEY

All things outside of Burning Man.
cowboyangel

SAVE TOM FALVEY

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Tom Falvey is a friend of mine. We go way back to Greenpeace days. Tom is determined to hold onto this life threatening fast until Japan ends its hostile aggression against both the whales in the arctic seas ( Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary) and against the brave Sea Shepherd crew desperately trying to protect the whales.<BR>

<br>

Please help him by writing letters to the Secretary of State and Embassy of Japan. Addresses below

Hunger Strike Against Aggression
Japan has sent its whaling fleet to the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary in defiance of international law. It has also sent armed cost guard personnel with them in response to nonviolent activists upholding the law. Japan has not stated its intentions. The fact remains that it has deployed the capability to forcibly board or disable the activists' ships. The threat of deadly force in support of an illegal enterprise constitutes armed aggression.

I will fast until death unless Japan renounces the use of force against those defending the integrity of the Sanctuary.

If Japan does so I will gladly end my fast. If it refuses then it will be clear that Japan intends to physically subdue them. In that case the world community will be forewarned and have a duty to prevent such violence.

I want to live. But some things are worth dying for. If necessary I will join the countless individuals who have given their lives for two fundamental principles:

* The rule of law must prevail, and
* Armed aggression on the high seas is unacceptable

The Japanese whaling fleet pretends to be conducting scientific research in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, off Antarctica. The International Whaling Commission’s (IWC) scientific committee has rejected this cynical subterfuge several times. In 2007 the full IWC formally asked Japan to stop its lethal research (Resolution 2007-1). Japan has said no.

For the 2010/11 season Japan has unilaterally decided to take 935 Minke, 50 Fin and 50 Humpback whales, in an “objectionâ€
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Seems the sooner everyone writes the better. I will write letters.

The link to his blog spot seems broken?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:59 pm

This is terribly sad. I will definitely write letters.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 pm

I hate it when people go all Kamakaze on you.....

I hope the guy eats........ This Whaling has been going on for centuries past... It's cultural and likely will continue for a long time.... beyond a fragile life.

If you have any influence, tell him this isn't the sword to die on..........
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:36 pm

I don't think the Japanese government will listen.
I want to send him a ham and cheese sandwich.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:09 pm

well said TITWI.

It'd be a shame for him to die. Knowing, the involved parties care not at all.

It'll only hurt those close to him, who do care.

maybe a Kamikaze mission on the Japanese ship would work better.......and, the end result for him, would be the same.

I'd even bet, there is a lot more whaling, than by just the Japanese.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:19 pm

http://tomfalvey.blogspot.com

sorry about the bad link..speed typing always does me in...
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Sad. Your friend is going to die.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm taking side bets that eventually he'll end up tearing into a 24oz porterhouse and claim victory even as the cetacean slaughter continues.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Isotopia wrote:I'm taking side bets that eventually he'll end up tearing into a 24oz porterhouse and claim victory even as the cetacean slaughter continues.
Id love to take that bet, but I agree with you and JK. It always boggles my mind that people think starving themselves will end (insert anything here) until people stop buying tasty whale meat - there will be people killing them, and canning them up for sale.

This guy seems like an asshat to me, and if whale meat were available in Puget Sound id go eat some just to spite his ridiculous endeavor.

Paul Watson's attempts with SeaShepherd have backfired as well. Whale meat sales are at record highs. Thanks in part to the free national TV coverage it gets every week during the season.

Nope, I dont buy it. If this guy was serious he would be in Japan on the docks blowing up whaling boats. Or immolating himself on the steps of the embassy to get attention.

He states "Armed aggression at sea will not be tolerated" What is boarding a ship at sea called? its called piracy. The Sea Sheperd's are all pirates, are on the verge of being arrested and prosecuted as such. As a professional sailor (in addition to other things) it is an embarrassment to watch these guys sail.

I think whaling is distasteful and in an ideal world would not be done, but where is this guy on the millions of chickens or cattle slaughtered every month? was that cow any less alive than the whale? any less deserving of a full life?

just my 2 cents. YMMV

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:31 pm

Some whales may be smarter than people, if that counts.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:46 am

A propaganda campaign convincing the Japanese people that whale meat is contaminated or makes your penis small would save, many, many more whales.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:03 am

gyre wrote:Some whales may be smarter than people, if that counts.
I'd say, it counts, not at all.

007 got it right. Why is it more important, than any other creature?

AnitiM:
Good call. I bet that's the best idea.
Or, tell them Godzilla is the whales protector, and, will be back if they don't quit.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

jerroc

Post by jerroc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:34 am

This man has way too much faith in humanity. Too bad his head is too far up his ass to understand he will do more good alive than dead. Sounds like a waste of paper to write a letter. SAVE THE TREES. I think over killing whales or any other animal sucks ass but $200,000 for a whale makes me want to buy a row boat and a harpoon. I bet this guy has become the japanese whalers favorite joke and have bets on what day he will kill over. And I'm sure once he dies they will be happy there is one less person trying to fuck with their operation.

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:00 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

21 January 2011

In an unprecedented move the Japanese consortium of whalers have decided to end all taking of whales in the southern ocean.

When asked what prompted this decision. The heads of four companies stated that an American hippie by the name of Tom Falvey would not eat until their consortium agreed to end whaling. The consortium all agreed that the 5000 plus personnel employed, the 2000 plus years of whaling and the hundreds of millions in sales a year of product cannot compare to the suffering of an empty stomach in an American they have never met.

The whaling fleet has immediately been withdrawn from the Southern Ocean and the boats will be refit to provide whaling and ecological tours.

###

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:32 pm

well, mdm, if Tom's life weren't at stake, I'd continue to ignore your ignorant posts. Remind me to bitch slap you at the next meet and greet you fuck.

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:16 pm

cowboyangel wrote:well, mdm, if Tom's life weren't at stake, I'd continue to ignore your ignorant posts. Remind me to bitch slap you at the next meet and greet you fuck.
Are you serious, look at the evidence, This tom guy has a blog with exactly 2 posts, claims to have gone 25 days now with only water. Google his name and whales, and you get a reference to this thread only.

Had this guy gone 25 days now without food, he would be hospitalized, the media would be there nad it would actually make news. The lack of any release to the media either makes his endeavor EXTREMELY poor planned and laughable as no one has heard about it or a hoax.

You can bitch slap me if you like, but you may regret it, find out what someone does for a living before making a move like that would be my advice.

Anyways angel, its a hoax. I answered the call apparently you did not get the memo.

Peace.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:04 pm

...if Tom's life weren't at stake.
One's life is at stake when circumstances beyond that person's control are present.

This guy Tom has invoked certain... conditions of his own accord and can (and will most likely will) cast them aside when it becomes to his advantage - namely a honed sense of self-preservation.

The guy strikes me as an embarrassment both to himself and to the very cause he seeks to draw attention to.

This 'hunger strike' of his reminds me of the innumerable students at Berkeley and Stanford who pull this stunt every so often to raise awareness for whatever the Cause du Jour happens to be at the time. They play the humble, self-sacrificing Gandhi card for a day or two and then off for drinks and burritos once the weekend rolls around.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:39 pm

While not everything will show up on Google right away...a hunger strike for a cause, especially a great one like this should be promoted to get media attention. The fact that it's not either means hoax, or it's run by a bunch of buffoons squandering one heck of an opportunity to build awareness and command attention.

ANYTHING related to Sea Shepherd gets my support though...they are one of the few groups that I donate to that doesn't suck, doesn't squander money, yadda yadda.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Tom is an Activist with a capital A. I've known Tom since 1981, on my first Greenpeace voyage. Tom is intelligent, noble, completely honest and extremely compassionate. He is more zen than those who practice it. And he's incredibly brave. The world's seas are afflicted with what some say, may be irreparable harm- especially large fish stocks- down 90%! and whale & other sea mammal populations still in peril. Compassion for "all" of life is the hallmark of a special human being. I would even say-yogi. Tom is such a person.

I forgive you for casting aspersions on Tom, a person so unworthy of that kind of response. The world, the last time I checked it out, is in dire peril- environmentally, politically and economically. When someone raises his head above the disillusion of the media soup to protect life, save a species and says " I will act " - he or she puts his passion on an earth saving desire. That's good in my book. Pretty close to as high as it gets being a human. Gandhi did this too.

Ok, so Captain of Sea Shepherd Paul Watson, asked Tom to end his fast and Tom complied. Paul has a line of respect about a few dozen light years long from the elders to the youngest in the environmental movement. Paul is what Greenpeace should be. We are warriors. The Cree Indian prophecies foretold of a group called "Rainbow Warriors" who'd come forward and act to save mother earth.

That's what this is about. Some give up fighting and hoping and some have passion so deep it will take them to the brink of their lives. These are the folks my playan friends who will make a difference.

God Bless Tom!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Noble and well said.

Jk
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Looks like persistent, direct action ends up saving the day rather than misdirected, emotional silliness.

Gotta hand it to these men and women and Bob Barker.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/world ... ef=science

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:57 pm

It isn't always easy to know the whole story.

Is my current local diplomacy effective because I'm being polite, or because they are fully aware I'll go on camera and talk about them?
I can only guess.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:01 pm

^^^^taken from the end of that article^^^^

Domestic critics have called the program an anachronism, because private fishing companies have dropped out under international pressure and the demand for whale meat is declining. Few Japanese eat whale anymore, and the meat from the hunt has piled up in freezers, or been given to children for school lunches.

So, there you have it.

Even though the price of whale meat is NOT going to skyrocket because of this, the proof is in the pudding that whale meat does stunt your penis growth.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:25 pm

mmmmmm....
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:07 am

Iso, Tom's passion gets results that you may not see.
If it weren't for Tom, Greenpeace's fund raising mail campaign never would have gotten off the ground. Also, Tom's editorial in the LA Times helped spur the so called "Debt for Nature" idea. People live for such foolishness, Tom's willing to die to save some whales is "capital"!

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:39 am

Man up and buy him some donuts and soy milk, Cowboy Angel. The madness must stop.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:27 am

cowboyangel wrote:Tom is an Activist with a capital A.

I forgive you for casting aspersions on Tom, a person so unworthy of that kind of response.
CBA, last time i looked, Asshole starts with a capital A.

let him eat beans and weenies!

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:28 am

just to be clear, it is Tom Falvey that must save Tom Falvey... from himself.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Bob, Tom ended the fast a long time ago. The Japanese left the whale turf. Sea Shepherd is making it financially tough for them.
In Nome Alaska a long time ago Tom personally saved ME from a 300lb Aleut woman named "Pauline" who wanted to capture me and do bad things in the restroom. By dancing the night away with Pauline, Tom made my escape from that drunk weary Aleut bar possible. Nome AK is the weirdest place on earth. But I love places like that. So Joel, ya fuck head, better watch out, or we'll send Pauline to your desolate corn field to roll you into a human taco!

Return to “Open Discussion”