FACEBOOK IS FUCKED UP! WHAT SAY YOU?

All things outside of Burning Man.
DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

FACEBOOK IS FUCKED UP! WHAT SAY YOU?

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:46 pm

I said it here first so dont tell me you dont know how I feel about FACEBOOK!

POST!

They have really pissed me off!

What about you?

Oh and hey, you gonna be on the playa this year?

Never mind, dont answer that!

THIS IS ABOUT FACEBOOK!

I am really pissed!
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:48 pm

:P

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Your pissed at facebook? they owe you something?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:54 pm

No not really!

As far as the owe thingie!

:lol:

Thanks for asking tho!

P.S. GOOD ONE!

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:59 pm

Facebookk has bean beddi beddi goot to me
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:04 pm

really really sucks i gotta be there for my survival tho!

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:16 pm

What has you so upset with FB DVD?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:53 am

maryanimal wrote:What has you so upset with FB DVD?
He's not going to the Playa this year and it's FB fault.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:59 am

He set up his account as a fan page, not as a personal account.

He doesn't understand how FB works, therefore he is mad.

friend count = 0
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

delle

Post by delle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:04 am

My feelings for Facebook fluctuate.

Usually it just bores me. I do not farm. I do not fling. I have yet to know if I have aspergers tendancies, because I refuse to click that link that lets them in so I can find out.....

Sometimes it really frustrates me. I use it so rarely that I never get the hang of an interface before they impose a new one on me. So I'm pretty much handicapped in there, wondering how to navigate.

I also don't like the moral dilemma involved with feeling I have to accept someone as a friend. And have actually lost a friendship over politely asking someone to stop sending me her entire list of 1246 friends as potential friends for me to accept. Why would someone do that???? Does she view this as a contest that I'm clearly losing with my piddly 46? Fortunately she never meant that much to me anyhow, so it wasn't a great loss... but it still offered a couple of days of perturbation.

But everytime --- EVERY TIME --- I have gone in, completely decided that the time has come for me to nuke the whole business, some half-forgotten blast from the past is blinking there, waiting to make contact again - making me smile. And so on it goes.... Letting it live for the odd spark of pleasure of the memory of something past.

Mostly though I'm pretty successful in totally not thinking about it. That works for me.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 am

If there were no Facebook, how would people I barely knew in high school get in touch with me so they can tell me how great their home business and/or religion is?

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:47 am

Dork wrote:If there were no Facebook, how would people I barely knew in high school get in touch with me so they can tell me how great their home business and/or religion is?

Like.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

ZeroandOne

Post by ZeroandOne » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:48 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:
Dork wrote:If there were no Facebook, how would people I barely knew in high school get in touch with me so they can tell me how great their home business and/or religion is?

Like.

Like.
they counted on their fingers and toes.

daratheresa

Post by daratheresa » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 pm

i made a second facebook page that i like a lot. i just post neat links all day long.

my original, regular facebook account is okay, i guess. it's done neat things like put me in touch with more of my family. it's also done really annoying things, like put me in touch with more of my family. ;)

i like how facebook sells off my info to the highest advertising bidder. makes me feel like a special commodity. high demand, you know, it feeds the ego. :p
"So baptize me in the stars
And wrap me in nighttime"
~s.w.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Fuckerberg (sp??) has easily fallen into the trap of big time finance and all of its evil trappings...signing a deal with monster rat fucker Goldman Sachs for one. Screw Mark and his Homeland Security friendly piece of programming shit.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

daratheresa

Post by daratheresa » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 pm

i gave up any illusions of privacy on the internet a long time ago. if it's online, it's going to be public sooner or later. i don't have a problem with this. i think privacy is fast becoming an outdated concept, anyhow. but i guess that's a conversation for another place or time. :)

facebook is a good way to stay in touch with people whom you want to stay in touch with. but don't worry facebook haters, it will be replaced with something more innovative and invasive sooner or later. :shock:
~s.w.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Exactly my thought.
Someone will do it better.

Everything about it is invasive.
I don't have an account.
I actually feel more secure on black hat forums than bookface.

I think all it would take to turn bookface into today's myspace is to provide what they don't.
Control.

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:23 pm

I think FB is starting to decline. the amount of spam apps, and if you click on this all your friends will get a message to click on it as well apps, is just the beginning of the decline. A decline into what? i don't know....

I presume that some large multi national company will build what they think is the next greatest social media site around, just to have everyone use something completely different.

but I'd be willing to bet that FB won't be around in a few more years.
)'(

LorenRose

Post by LorenRose » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:25 pm

I don't have a facebook. People are actually mad that I don't have one, and keep trying to get me to make one. People are too crazy and addicted to facebook. They start making it their lives. I feel so free without it. :D

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:27 pm

I never got over being hated in jr. high. I don't want people to be able to find me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Damn, y'alls old.

I find it very useful- most of my friends are on it; parents, sis-in-law, niece & nephews; friends up & down California and across the US from coast to coast, north to south; England, Scotland, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Argentina, Mexico...... (real friends, not facebook "friends", though I have plenty of those from being a club photographer)

It's a very functional way to keep in touch in that "nothing important" sort of way & stay part of someone's life. Things that don't warrant a phone call or are just "blah blah", but are really nice to hear from someone you don't get to see often. It's just a way to keep in touch. It's also a way to go look at a friends pictures at your own speed instead of theirs.

I've also found amazing lectures, new music, interesting articles.... my god, it's like being on here.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

daratheresa

Post by daratheresa » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Eric wrote:It's a very functional way to keep in touch in that "nothing important" sort of way & stay part of someone's life. Things that don't warrant a phone call or are just "blah blah", but are really nice to hear from someone you don't get to see often. It's just a way to keep in touch. It's also a way to go look at a friends pictures at your own speed instead of theirs.

I've also found amazing lectures, new music, interesting articles.... my god, it's like being on here.
this. :)
~s.w.

ZeroandOne

Post by ZeroandOne » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:10 pm

they counted on their fingers and toes.

JStep

Post by JStep » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Love FB. It's the most useful networking tool (insert you're a networking tool comment here) invented since the telephone, IMO.

You still control your privacy on FB, I never get what people's big deal is about this. People who have criminal records that can be simply dug up on the open internet are worried that someone's going to use their FB interests in aggregate marketing surveys. Silly.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com

Dr Jet Sinister

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:55 pm

"This study reinforces the public speculation that over-engaging in websites that serve to replace normal social function might be linked to psychological disorders like depression and addiction," added Dr Morrison. "We now need to consider the wider societal implications of this relationship and establish clearly the effects of excessive internet use on mental health."

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/news/article/707 ... depression

I love these studies! It's like a mad-lib. "[insert new activity sweeping the country] is linked to [insert something bad]." Followed by, "we should research this more."

I like the bookfaces. It allows me to keep in touch with friends all over the world with a simple enough interface that can engage computer savvy people and those that use Internet Explorer.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:58 pm

"what are we doing on facebook today Simon"?

"The Same thing we do EVERY day Mr. Typy Fingers, TAKING OVER THE WORLD"
Frida Be You & Me

Dr Jet Sinister

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:"what are we doing on facebook today Simon"?

"The Same thing we do EVERY day Mr. Typy Fingers, TAKING OVER THE WORLD"
Should we be telling them? I thought we were going to sneak up on them.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

LLQchasm

Post by LLQchasm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:14 pm

daratheresa wrote:i gave up any illusions of privacy on the internet a long time ago. if it's online, it's going to be public sooner or later. i don't have a problem with this. i think privacy is fast becoming an outdated concept, anyhow. but i guess that's a conversation for another place or time. :)
Since privacy is not a problem for you, why not post your social security number, your birth date, drivers license info with photo ID here on eplaya and prove to us that this is no problem?

JStep

Post by JStep » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:19 pm

LLQchasm wrote:
daratheresa wrote:i gave up any illusions of privacy on the internet a long time ago. if it's online, it's going to be public sooner or later. i don't have a problem with this. i think privacy is fast becoming an outdated concept, anyhow. but i guess that's a conversation for another place or time. :)
Since privacy is not a problem for you, why not post your social security number, your birth date, drivers license info with photo ID here on eplaya and prove to us that this is no problem?
Hyperbolic strawman.

FB doesn't ask for that info, you can place it if you want but also suppress it.

Next.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com

daratheresa

Post by daratheresa » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:37 pm

LLQchasm wrote:
is that a challenge, or are you just trying to prove a point?

i use my real name for just about everything i do online. it's not hard to find me.

really, when you're talking to the <16 or so demographic, the concept of privacy is seen as... quaint. old fashioned. something people's parents babble on about. EVERYTHING is online and in real time. that's what i was referring to when i said that privacy is becoming outdated. sorry i didn't elaborate, i was trying to stick to the original point of the thread. my bad. :)
~s.w.

Return to “Open Discussion”