FACEBOOK IS FUCKED UP! WHAT SAY YOU?

All things outside of Burning Man.
User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:40 pm

daratheresa wrote:sorry i didn't elaborate, i was trying to stick to the original point of the thread. my bad. :)
That's awful sweet of you, but it's a DVD thread. Pretty much fair game for any drift...

Flotsam and jetsam on tap...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14861
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Dork wrote:If there were no Facebook, how would people I barely knew in high school get in touch with me so they can tell me how great their home business and/or religion is?
Or all of my BFF that I really thought I would always be friends with that I find out now we have NOTHING in common any more. I think I'm the only one in my whole circle of friends I grew up with that actually moved to another city and expanded my life experience.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
littleflower
Posts: 3420
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: rainforest canopy

Post by littleflower » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:05 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I never got over being hated in jr. high. I don't want people to be able to find me.
lol i have the same problem, and guess what? they still hate me ....

my 14 yo niece who i never get to see started chatting with me on fb tonight ..... that's reason enough for me. as for the privacy....... i generally think i'm waaaaayyyyy too boring to bother with ...... :lol:

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29610
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:"what are we doing on facebook today Simon"?

"The Same thing we do EVERY day Mr. Typy Fingers, TAKING OVER THE WORLD"
hImage
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

LLQchasm
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Post by LLQchasm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 pm

JStep wrote:Love FB. It's the most useful networking tool (insert you're a networking tool comment here) invented since the telephone, IMO.

You still control your privacy on FB, I never get what people's big deal is about this. People who have criminal records that can be simply dug up on the open internet are worried that someone's going to use their FB interests in aggregate marketing surveys. Silly.
Since I have a background in actually engineering the software that makes this kind of stuff happen... I'll clue you in. The greatest threat is the pooling of information all in one place so the real issue is access and who gets that access. True you can configure your privacy level so that others who are your peers can't see what you do, but the tech's monitoring (that would be someone like me) the system potentially see everything you put online.

Years ago there was this encryption that was pretty hard to crack, so hard that the military couldn't get past the code to decrypt it and that had the US govt worried for quite a while. Some might have heard of it - called PGP for "Pretty Good Privacy". Well that was a massive understatement. Phil Zimerman invented the encryption algorithm and Eudora which in the mid 90's was quickly becoming the fastest growing free email client had integrated PGP into the email client so that everybody's email would be unreadable except by the two people involved in the communication. There were debates as to whether it was a good idea to give this to terrorists (they already had their own encryption though), etc... There have been lots of battles in various areas and I just cite this as one example. Then there was a rumor that a back door had been given to the encryption algorithm so that a 3rd party could decrypt PGP without the other 2 parties knowing and that this key was given to the CIA and other agencies in government. I don't know if that is true or not. All I can tell you is that it is easy to include software "loopholes" so that certain people have access and others don't. It is really a matter of trust.

It is a well known fact that law enforcement uses Facebook to track down criminals. Some here will think this is no problem because they're not criminals, but do you want what you said 5 years ago to haunt you when the political climate changes? The USA is gradually turning into a fascist state and new laws are being passed quietly behind the scenes. Suddenly an innocent statement that was made as a joke can be a red flag to anti-terror agencies snooping in on your private FB messages and men in black could be rifling through your home and belongings under new powers granted by the homeland security act while you are away at work. Or worse yet, a hacker skilled in breaking into systems could place incriminating "evidence" on your FB page and then you'd have to prove it wasn't you. Good luck.

One of the things that has protected us in the past from fascist acts is that those in power do not have the tools necessary to cross reference all the data and this is because all of that data is not in one place, spread across many different types of systems where there isn't a single access point. FB also has data spread out in similar fashion, however it is very different in that it has a single access point (a centralized authority) with over half a billion people a part of it. The fact that states in the USA have their own powers in opposition to federal powers is one form of protection, but this is breaking down. The governments of the world are still de-centralized, so this information is very valuable to government authorities. Take the recent revolt in Egypt for example. Media was quick to point out that FB was instrumental in aiding the revolt so in people's minds FB = freedom. This could not be further from the truth. There is a cabal of people who are really international citizens of the world without accountability to any government. Some of the ancestors of these people bankrolled the revolutionary war of the USA in 1776 and their game has always been to gain more power. These people fight amongst themselves to gain this power and regard the rest of us as cattle to be led to the slaughter. They have important positions in media, banking and politics and more people on FB is good for their interests... so by popularizing it as an anti-totalitarian network some hope to draw more in as insurance in case revolt spreads to where it is unwanted by authorities with access. Mubarak shut it down and you can be sure that the USA govt would do the same thing if revolt threatened to come here (in which case FB becomes a tool to root out dissidents). Which way this goes all has to do with who has access.

You really have to look at what potential damage can be done in a different political environment. As it currently stands FB is harmless, but let the laws of the land change where this information can be used legally against you in a court of law in a different context from which you have stated it... you run the risk of McCarthyism all over again. Maybe the witch hunts won't happen, or maybe they already have and we just aren't being told until the day we are led into a "gas chamber".

User avatar
Bob
Posts: 6748
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Post by Bob » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:22 pm

LLQchasm wrote:
JStep wrote:Love FB. It's the most useful networking tool (insert you're a networking tool comment here) invented since the telephone, IMO.

You still control your privacy on FB, I never get what people's big deal is about this. People who have criminal records that can be simply dug up on the open internet are worried that someone's going to use their FB interests in aggregate marketing surveys. Silly.
Since I have a background in actually engineering the software that makes this kind of stuff happen... I'll clue you in. The greatest threat is the pooling of information all in one place so the real issue is access and who gets that access. True you can configure your privacy level so that others who are your peers can't see what you do, but the tech's monitoring (that would be someone like me) the system potentially see everything you put online.

Years ago there was this encryption that was pretty hard to crack, so hard that the military couldn't get past the code to decrypt it and that had the US govt worried for quite a while. Some might have heard of it - called PGP for "Pretty Good Privacy". Well that was a massive understatement. Phil Zimerman invented the encryption algorithm and Eudora which in the mid 90's was quickly becoming the fastest growing free email client had integrated PGP into the email client so that everybody's email would be unreadable except by the two people involved in the communication. There were debates as to whether it was a good idea to give this to terrorists (they already had their own encryption though), etc... There have been lots of battles in various areas and I just cite this as one example. Then there was a rumor that a back door had been given to the encryption algorithm so that a 3rd party could decrypt PGP without the other 2 parties knowing and that this key was given to the CIA and other agencies in government. I don't know if that is true or not. All I can tell you is that it is easy to include software "loopholes" so that certain people have access and others don't. It is really a matter of trust.

It is a well known fact that law enforcement uses Facebook to track down criminals. Some here will think this is no problem because they're not criminals, but do you want what you said 5 years ago to haunt you when the political climate changes? The USA is gradually turning into a fascist state and new laws are being passed quietly behind the scenes. Suddenly an innocent statement that was made as a joke can be a red flag to anti-terror agencies snooping in on your private FB messages and men in black could be rifling through your home and belongings under new powers granted by the homeland security act while you are away at work. Or worse yet, a hacker skilled in breaking into systems could place incriminating "evidence" on your FB page and then you'd have to prove it wasn't you. Good luck.

One of the things that has protected us in the past from fascist acts is that those in power do not have the tools necessary to cross reference all the data and this is because all of that data is not in one place, spread across many different types of systems where there isn't a single access point. FB also has data spread out in similar fashion, however it is very different in that it has a single access point (a centralized authority) with over half a billion people a part of it. The fact that states in the USA have their own powers in opposition to federal powers is one form of protection, but this is breaking down. The governments of the world are still de-centralized, so this information is very valuable to government authorities. Take the recent revolt in Egypt for example. Media was quick to point out that FB was instrumental in aiding the revolt so in people's minds FB = freedom. This could not be further from the truth. There is a cabal of people who are really international citizens of the world without accountability to any government. Some of the ancestors of these people bankrolled the revolutionary war of the USA in 1776 and their game has always been to gain more power. These people fight amongst themselves to gain this power and regard the rest of us as cattle to be led to the slaughter. They have important positions in media, banking and politics and more people on FB is good for their interests... so by popularizing it as an anti-totalitarian network some hope to draw more in as insurance in case revolt spreads to where it is unwanted by authorities with access. Mubarak shut it down and you can be sure that the USA govt would do the same thing if revolt threatened to come here (in which case FB becomes a tool to root out dissidents). Which way this goes all has to do with who has access.

You really have to look at what potential damage can be done in a different political environment. As it currently stands FB is harmless, but let the laws of the land change where this information can be used legally against you in a court of law in a different context from which you have stated it... you run the risk of McCarthyism all over again. Maybe the witch hunts won't happen, or maybe they already have and we just aren't being told until the day we are led into a "gas chamber".
Fucking Uberdweebisms.

Good thing DVD Burglar is immune to anything but the Dethklok.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

User avatar
DVD Burner
Posts: 10358
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:09 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp
Contact:

Post by DVD Burner » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:47 pm

ibdave wrote:
maryanimal wrote:What has you so upset with FB DVD?
He's not going to the Playa this year and it's FB fault.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ha ha ha ha ha!


:lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

User avatar
DVD Burner
Posts: 10358
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:09 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp
Contact:

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:05 am

maryanimal wrote:What has you so upset with FB DVD?
Well one of the reasons I like being on eplaya is there are those that can relate to my situation and I can express my situation freely!

My problems with FB is, there are FBI/CIA and 17 other MORON SECRET AGENCIES that are total haters, specifically on FB that due to ONE FEMALE I LET GO several times, are harassing me online. laywers wont settle this kinda shit!

Been there done that !

Complicated as it be, I tried to let her go 3 times and she kept coming back.

Main reason why I wanted to disown her was the MORON MACHO MORONS that she had no idea........she liked to hang with that I told her, I did not like and that I knew did not like me......in fact ...........HATED ME!

This is nothing new in my life!


really!

It is why I am attached to BM.

BM changed my life because of this very reason!


BM made me grow up HUGE when it comes to girls!


Really dont want to get into this any further!

Hope this is ok for me to post this?


Anyhoo!

I have a FBI MORON that has been harassing me since about this girl and it really has me pissed!

Sucks to be me!
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

User avatar
DVD Burner
Posts: 10358
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:09 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp
Contact:

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 am

Oh and mind you, this FBI MORON threatened me on FB!



Yep, in an open forum!

please dont talk to me about law suits.

I have too many things going on with COPS!

Ask me why I hate any forms of COPS/EMT/Firemen and the such!
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

User avatar
TomServo
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:17 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Post by TomServo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 am

Fuck the feds! and, welcome back!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

User avatar
DVD Burner
Posts: 10358
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:09 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp
Contact:

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:25 am

TomServo wrote:Fuck the feds! and, welcome back!
Thanks Tom!
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

User avatar
daratheresa
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: NNY
Contact:

Post by daratheresa » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:30 pm

"WARNING! Facebook now automatically scans your brain through your monitor. To block, go to kitchen, get aluminum foil, and wrap it around your head. Stay calm and breathe through your left nostril only. This is a SERIOUS problem and has been confirmed by a cousin's girlfriend's neighbor's son's baby's mama and her pet chihuahua. Copy and paste as your status to SAVE YOUR FRIENDS"
"So baptize me in the stars
And wrap me in nighttime"
~s.w.

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1759
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Post by Rice » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:36 pm

daratheresa wrote:"WARNING! Facebook now automatically scans your brain through your monitor. To block, go to kitchen, get aluminum foil, and wrap it around your head. Stay calm and breathe through your left nostril only. This is a SERIOUS problem and has been confirmed by a cousin's girlfriend's neighbor's son's baby's mama and her pet chihuahua. Copy and paste as your status to SAVE YOUR FRIENDS"
Nice 8)

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 20562
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: BRC, Nevada.

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:38 pm

daratheresa wrote:"WARNING! Facebook now automatically scans your brain through your monitor. To block, go to kitchen, get aluminum foil, and wrap it around your head. Stay calm and breathe through your left nostril only. This is a SERIOUS problem and has been confirmed by a cousin's girlfriend's neighbor's son's baby's mama and her pet chihuahua. Copy and paste as your status to SAVE YOUR FRIENDS"

ImageImage
Frida Be You & Me

LLQchasm
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Post by LLQchasm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:31 pm

daratheresa wrote:"WARNING! Facebook now automatically scans your brain through your monitor. To block, go to kitchen, get aluminum foil, and wrap it around your head. Stay calm and breathe through your left nostril only. This is a SERIOUS problem and has been confirmed by a cousin's girlfriend's neighbor's son's baby's mama and her pet chihuahua. Copy and paste as your status to SAVE YOUR FRIENDS"
Those of us who have worked the overnight shift reconfiguring your networks thank you for the interesting reading you give us to laugh at, but don't worry, most of the time we have no interest in selling your SSN / credit card info to crooks. We only do that when the boss pisses us off or we've been notified that layoffs might be coming.

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 pm

littleflower wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I never got over being hated in jr. high. I don't want people to be able to find me.
lol i have the same problem, and guess what? they still hate me ....
Exactly why I don't want them to find me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Post Reply

Return to “Open Discussion”