What are you reading?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Fire_Moose

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:27 pm

Got these from Goodwill, paid about $9 for em. Figure i have sometime before i'll need books 4 and 8....time to start em!

2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:34 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:28 pm

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Enjoying so far...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:Got these from Goodwill, paid about $9 for em. Figure i have sometime before i'll need books 4 and 8....time to start em!

These are great FM!!! perhaps my favorite series ever. A couple get sort of "slow", but necessary for later action.
I went out and bought a .45 Colt revolver, after reading the first!!
eta: are you missing #4?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Good to hear! Yes, I was not able to find number 4 or 8.

gratz on the 45 LC!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:36 pm

"Kennesaw Mountain" by Earl Hess, professor of history at Lincoln Memorial University. It's the result of 20 years of on-the battlefield and in-the-archives research on what might be considered the final time that the Confederacy was able to hold its own on high ground during the Civil War. Sherman finally had to bypass it in the drive towards Atlanta.

It was one of the last battles in which Maj. Gen. George Thomas and Maj. Gen. Sherman's corps fought side by side, the Army of the Tennessee and the Army of the Cumberland arrayed north of the granite monadnock known as Kennesaw Mountain. One surgeon there on the Union side later had the battle name given to the first commissioner of Baseball, his grandson.....Kennesaw Mountain Landis.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:42 pm

ygmir wrote:
Fire_Moose wrote:Got these from Goodwill, paid about $9 for em. Figure i have sometime before i'll need books 4 and 8....time to start em!

These are great FM!!! perhaps my favorite series ever. A couple get sort of "slow", but necessary for later action.
I went out and bought a .45 Colt revolver, after reading the first!!
eta: are you missing #4?

I just read "Under the Dome". Excellent. Much better than the TV show by the same name.
Praise the Lowered

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:46 pm

I am finally reading "Annals of the Former World," by John McFee, got it for xmas and I have to say

Thank you, ^Rhino!

for recommending this book. it is wonderful. 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Today I received the new catalog of talking books..Its hard to pick..

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:35 pm

NDEP environmental protection, of which I have to write an O&M manual to fucking comply to this fucking shit.
Of course if I was good with writing, and or sucking dick, because lets face it blow jobs are the way forward.
This would be a pleasure. And while I do believe in the EPA overall, who does want to drink shit in their water?
Some of this crap is legalize fucking overkill.

I haven't been able to read anything for the last two years for enjoyment.
other then here and FB….sort of, and I feel I have lost my sense of humor for a long time now.

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Reading another west coast/great basin geology book.
"rough-hewn land, a geologic journey from California to the rocky mountains" by Keith Heyer Meldahl.
Pretty good read.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:48 am

Just finished reading "The Zealot." Absolutely incredible if you like a combo of religion and history.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:58 pm

goathead--
You haven't been able to read because you're dealing with these laws and manuals, or is it another issue?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:45 am

MyDearFriend wrote:I am finally reading "Annals of the Former World," by John McFee, got it for xmas and I have to say

Thank you, ^Rhino!

for recommending this book. it is wonderful. 8)
You're welcome. I gave it to a fellow geologist for his birthday a few years ago, and he was incommunicado for several days at his home. His wife said he had a perpetual smile on his face.

I hope you too get a smile or two from reading it.

I know personally a couple of the characters in the books, or have met them at professional meetings. For others, like David Love and Anita Harris, alas, I never had the chance to meet. Anita Harris was (as my former micropaleontology prof. put it.... "high science meets Susie Homemaker and done right" Their contributions to the science have made the world a better place and the geologic thought more accessible to all.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:30 am

The Climate War: true believers, power....the fight to save the earth..... Eric Pooley..

Ya, I know its a waste of time.. Even if all the worlds daily damage were to stop on this day.. It would be thirty years before climate damage would start to slow.. If your mortality is farther away than mine.. I suggest you start to adapt to the changes.. (as in) how you get and keep your food and shelter..

Comes to mind.. The story of the Grasshopper and the Ants..

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Escape from Camp 14. True account of political prisoner born in one of N.Koreas toughest person camps. Believed to be the only person born in a camp who also escaped from a camp in N. Korea. He recently wrote a letter to Dennis Rodman in regards to him going to N. Korea to coach basketball.

Fuck you Dennis Rodman!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:04 pm

lucky420 wrote:Fuck you Dennis Rodman!
Just not as famous as he used to be. Remember the 90s when we actually talked about his gender presentation? I bet that's part of the attraction for him, being with the powerful (if demented) and getting press, even bad press...
The Lady with a Lamprey

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:36 pm

There are words lower than pig fucker in my opinion of Rodman..

North Korea is long ago and far away in my life.

But not for the 6300 MIA.. That will never come come..

Bless

Post by Bless » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:50 pm

lucky420 wrote:Escape from Camp 14. True account of political prisoner born in one of N.Koreas toughest person camps. Believed to be the only person born in a camp who also escaped from a camp in N. Korea.
Was that the author who turned in his own mother for execution?
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 am

Yep, pretty much. It's the world in which he was raised. There was no love in this camp whatsoever, no familial feelings of loyalty. It's quite amazing what these people are subjected to.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:28 am

fernley1 wrote:Reading another west coast/great basin geology book.
"rough-hewn land, a geologic journey from California to the rocky mountains" by Keith Heyer Meldahl.
Pretty good read.
Yo, fernley.....please keep us posted on what you think. I value your opinion, and the subject matter is a favorite.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

BeeWeeDee

Post by BeeWeeDee » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:54 am

Quite a read here... on how money and privilege can be used to exploit cheap, desperate, and abundant labor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

BeeWeeDee

Post by BeeWeeDee » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:55 am

To pass the time at my volunteer gig I came across the following....

“The fiesta was really started. It kept up day and night for seven days. The dancing kept up, the drinking kept up, the noise went on. The things that happened could only have happened during a fiesta. Everything became quite unreal finally and it seemed as though nothing could have any consequences during the fiesta. All during the fiesta you had a feeling, even when it was quiet, that you had to shout any remark to make it heard. It was the same feeling about any action. It was a fiesta and it was on for seven days.”

The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemmingway

Thought it was apt for this group.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:16 am

**(hears the groans - not ANOTHER Civil War book?)**

Just finished the latest book by Earl Hess - 'The Knoxville Campaign - Longstreet and Burnside in East Tennessee'.

After reading this little gem, my understanding of the East Tennessee campaign of 1863 opened to appreciate just how tough things were in Knoxville in those days. Burniside did the best he could with limited resources, and Longstreet had a commander (Bragg) who just wasn't up to the task of a corps command. Giving orders from Chattanooga that couldn't be followed due to his lack of understanding of the terrain and the units involved.....sheesh! No wonder he got pasted at Nashville in 1864.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Currently reading Lee Gilmore's "Theater in a Crowded Fire: Ritual and Spirituality at Burning Man." Very interesting, though quite an academic style and can be dry at times, her thesis is quite well argued. The ideas and themes she addresses are really wonderful and (in my experience) quite valid. A really good read. And the DVD that comes with the book has fascinating old footage of Burns going back to 1996, filmed by the author and her husband (both long-time Burners).

Perfect for dark-of-the-Year musings... 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:51 am

I'm liking Heinlein's "Job: A comedy of Justice" so far, but not being terribly familiar with the "original" story of Job, I feel like maybe I'm missing something?
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:19 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:To pass the time at my volunteer gig I came across the following....

“The fiesta was really started. It kept up day and night for seven days. The dancing kept up, the drinking kept up, the noise went on. The things that happened could only have happened during a fiesta. Everything became quite unreal finally and it seemed as though nothing could have any consequences during the fiesta. All during the fiesta you had a feeling, even when it was quiet, that you had to shout any remark to make it heard. It was the same feeling about any action. It was a fiesta and it was on for seven days.”

The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemmingway

Thought it was apt for this group.
I love it. :D
MyDearFriend wrote:Currently reading Lee Gilmore's "Theater in a Crowded Fire: Ritual and Spirituality at Burning Man." Very interesting, though quite an academic style and can be dry at times, her thesis is quite well argued. The ideas and themes she addresses are really wonderful and (in my experience) quite valid. A really good read. And the DVD that comes with the book has fascinating old footage of Burns going back to 1996, filmed by the author and her husband (both long-time Burners).

Perfect for dark-of-the-Year musings... 8)
Intriguing! :shock: Thank you.

. . . I've finally cracked open Sic Pup's recommendation of I Wear the Black Hat: Grappling with Villains (Real and Imagined) by Chuck Klosterman, and am enjoying it quite a bit.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:35 pm

I saw Patti last month in what amounts to a bar. It;'s been a few years since the last time. Good music, good drink, loved the between song banter, just a really genuine person free of all pretense (despite being on a stage). Rough year for her with the loss of Fred, Lou and Allen Lanier, but she remains upbeat. She's advocating a less political and more personal brand of rebellion nowadays (but not so much that she didn't give Pussy Riot it's due). Just a really enjoyable evening.

Anyway, that led me to "Just Kids" her memoir of her early life with Mapplethorpe, a remarkable story about a remarkable relationship. Well written behind the scenes view of the Village in the late sixties told as only a poet can.Highly recommended.

It seems I've been, unconsciously, on a string of non-fiction with central characters comprised of strong women bucking trends making their mark on the world (I'm addicted to heroine in a way that no rehab can cure).

Not veering far from that path I'm currently on "Fairlyland: A Memoir of My Father" by Alyssa Abbot. The story of a little girl growing up in San Francisco in the 70's/80's and her life with her single-parent, gay, poet father. A candid glimpse of a rather unique Bohemian upbringing, warts and all, that simultaneously leaves me envious and wincing.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Return to “Open Discussion”