What are you reading?

All things outside of Burning Man.
BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Re: What are you reading?

Post by BeeWeeDee » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:53 am

The Last Train to Zona Verde - My Ultimate African Safari
(There is a passage I want to cite for ePlaya but I have to find it in the book again)

A Street Cat Named Bob - or How a Cat Saved My Life
(A little inspiration for my own recovery)

Flint Knapping
(I want to see if I can match the indigenous people in making a stone tool - I have found large quantities of knappable stone on my hikes)

Geology Underfoot - Yellowstone
(If I live this close I want to understand the rocks and have some understanding of how this place was formed - The mental picture of a supersized volcano going off is captivating my imagination)

Trotsky - A biography
(Long passages on his relationship with Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera and their art were very interesting - Also Siqueiros)

Charlie Manson - A biography
(Quite the whacko! - Thinking of writing "Spahn Ranch" on my mailbox at BM this year or would that be crossing some line?)

Artbooks, artbooks, artbooks - These I just read the pictures and captions
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:38 am

Genghis: Birth of an Empire: A novel of Genghis Khan..

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:19 pm

more like what am I writing….. :cry:

Underground Injection Control Program O&M manual

fuck, shit, vomit, puke,

I am not permitting and compliance……

:evil:

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:02 pm

I got lucky at the used bookstore last weekend. I found a copy (1st edition) of Desert Challenge, An Interpretation of Nevada by Richard G. Lillard, and published by the University of Nebraska Press

I can't put it down.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:23 pm

Box Burner wrote:A Paradise Built in Hell: The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in Disaster - by Rebecca Solnit

Very good so far.

Finally got this from the library on Box Burner's recommendation . . .

A comprehensive look into how--against rumors to the contrary--most humans actually tend to rise to the occasion during disasters. It's the wealthy few who suffer from "elite panic", and the bureaucracies who flounder in inflexibility, & so frequently fail. They can't adapt quickly. Humans can, and they do. Tale after tale of the big SF quake and fire, the brutal Halifax explosion, the Twin Towers, the Mexico City earthquake (and how it led to profound restructuring for everyday people) and the horrors and heroes and villains of Hurricane Katrina.

Heartening, horrifying, moving, weirdly . . . life-affirming (dammit, I hate that phrase--but it's apt).

Anyway, I really liked it. Thank you, Box Burner! :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:45 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:45 pm

I am currently reading Anne Rule's 1990 true crime novel "If You Really Loved Me", which is about an Orange County 14-year-old convicted of the murder of her 23-year-old stepmother in 1985.

(If those ages seem unpleasantly close to you, it's because the teen's father is a real piece of work.)

I'm not spoiling anything to say that the reader knows from the beginning that the child's family bears tremendous responsibility in what happened, but I'm halfway through and still don't know exactly how it went down, or the fate of everyone involved.

Something else that's really fascinating is watching how the times and the technology shaped the terrible events, the isolation of the vulnerable parties, and the ability to uncover the truth. This wasn't so long ago . . . and yet it was a time when virtually everyone was offline, there were no smartphones, & no way of easily discovering via computer all the things that would help an investigation today. One of the investigators gathered info by pounding the pavement for 3 years on his own time--based only on a hinky feeling--before he had enough to reopen the case. Crazy.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:59 pm

I have been reading John Muir, lots, and various field guides :lol: getting ready for my camping trip. 8) 8) 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

kittyrodriguez
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Just finished reading this one again. For the millionth time.
Stiff.jpg
Starting this one by the same author.
Bonk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Call Me Burroughs: A Life by Barry Miles at 700+ pages was a bit daunting to start but at about a quarter of the way into it I'm declaring it an easy read. The amount of detail is staggering as could only be provided by someone who was there (since the sixties), who is so enamored by the subject to delve into it so deeply, and by someone who was also tasked with putting together his personal papers. To this point it's more a factual retelling than editorializing so the potential lack of objectivity hasn't really surfaced.... yet. That said, he's always been a personal hero of mine so I may not be the most objective reader either.

I'm through the early years and eagerly looking forward to the more creative and, shall we say, more free-spirited periods in his fascinating life. I'm particularly interested in more insight as to why he credits his unfortunate killing of his wife during a drunken William Tell-like challenge gone bad with his becoming a writer.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Been re-reading some of the old cold war tomes;

Deep Black (William F Burroughs)
Nuclear War Survival Skills (Kearny)

Just a little light reading, for those cold nights alone (tehehe) :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Still Red Fortress, still Stalin: Breaker of Nations...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:37 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the Burrough's tome, highly recommended and well worth the investment in time, IMO.

Apropos, but totally coincidental, of Leee Black Childers recent demise I am now on to "Holy Terror: Andy Warhol Close Up". Yet another insiders perspective of a fascinating, and arguably equally influential, force of modern life.

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that I was born about 10 years too late.

If nothing else I'm quickly turning my local library into a repository of modern era alternative culture with my repeated requests for book purchases the latest being No slam dancing, no stage diving, no spikes : an oral history of the legendary City Gardens

Oh, just saw Psychedelic Furs on Saturday, what a hoot, brought back memories (unfortunately no flashbacks).

*Kat*
Burning Since: 2010

Post by *Kat* » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:23 am

Wow Fishy, Odd Girl Out seems like a really good book... sure brings up some memories here...

I'm reading George R R Martin's A Feast For Crows.
And a really cool book whose title is untranslatable. Something like Giving Value to Time, but that does not quite hit it. It's got 40 thoughts/ideas/inspirations to keywords like "luck", "time", "idea", "play", "responsibility", "dream", "ecology", "trust" and so on. It's also got a promotional video:

[media]
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:51 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:30 pm

Inside Reab: The Surprising Truth about Treatment Centers.. Anne M Fletcher..
a twenty two hour read..

But Next--

Divinity of Doubt: The God Question..Vincent Bugliosi..

MacGlenver
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:29 pm

The Psychedelic Experience - Ralph Metzner, Timothy Leary, and Ram Dass
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:53 pm

Fiction: Cutting for Stone (Well written, recommend by a client of mine who is a doctor and says this book captures some of the unexpected realities of that life better than any other).

Nonfiction: The End of History and the Last Man (Fascinating but dense read on the evolution of government in relation to intrinsic human needs for recognition, autonomy, etc.)

Next up on the agenda: Incognito by Daniel Eagleman (Accessible neuroscience, talking primarily about the actual decision making process which Eagleman argues is primarily unconscious and that our decisions are only consciously justified after the fact)
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:38 pm

"Opium" by Jean Cocteau, but it is rilly, rilly starting to annoy me. I may give up on it.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Being the popular culture whore that I am:

"Rob Delaney : mother, wife, sister, human, warrior, falcon, yardstick, turban, cabbage" - the book is cornier than the title. Interspersed with his supposedly compelling tweets..... an utter waste of time. What passes for humor, to say nothing of wit, these days is beyond me. Hard to believe he wrote for "Ridiculousness"(snicker).

"Kink : an autobiography / Dave Davies" - the stroy from the other brother - equally disappointing. Why is it that people who are so talented musically can't seem to string words together in prose? Neil Young, I'm looking at you.

"The tooth fairy : parents, lovers, and other wayward deities : a memoir / Clifford Chase" - not an extraordinary story but different from my own (apart from the ailing parents thing) therefore interesting. Well written.

"Crash and burn / by Artie Lange" - a book that made me stop appreciating his humor, blatant play for empathy generated just the opposite from me. I went in to it liking him and left it despising him. A selfish slob an opinion formed with little to do with his sickness having been around addiction my entire life.

"Johnny Carson / Henry Bushkin" Inside account of a complex but ultimately unsympathetic individual. Augmented by first hand accounts from a co-worker whose dad was the attorney/friend before Bushkin.

"Little failure : a memoir / Gary Shteyngart" the author share his American immigrant experience. Very well written - made me want to read his novels even though I rarely touch fiction.

"There goes gravity : a life in rock and roll / Lisa Robinson" I didn't enjoy this as much as I did her work through my young adulthood but it wasn't as terrible as this things can be. Quite the accomplishment that she could travel in these circles without actually sleeping with the bands. No great revelations.

I just started "No slam dancing, no stage diving, no spikes : an oral history of the legendary City Gardens / Amy Yates Wuelfing" - jury is still out.

On deck "Tibetan peach pie : a true account of an imaginative life / Tom Robbins" - I know nothing of the author read a favorably book review - it'll probably suck.

Reminder to my self - stagger my library purchase requests so I don't end up with three books ready for me simultaneously, especially when they're new and others end up putting holds on them. Pressure.... pressure.

ProfessorChaos
Burning Since: 2014

Post by ProfessorChaos » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:26 pm

Picked up Brave New World for the 10thish time last night. Love that book. Means something new to me every time. Usually can bolt throught it in a few good reading sessions too.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Just finished, Divinity of Doubt.. the god question.. Vincent Bugliosi.. He wrote, Helter Skelter also..

Starting, Mirrors: stories of almost everyone.. by Eduardo Galeano..About three hundred pages one page stories
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Sic Pup wrote:"Kink : an autobiography / Dave Davies" - the stroy from the other brother - equally disappointing. Why is it that people who are so talented musically can't seem to string words together in prose? Neil Young, I'm looking at you.
Music and words are quite different things. And even if it's the song-writing/lyrics you like, song is more like poetry than the prose of memoir. Now, music and math? That's really common. Go figure...
Sic Pup wrote:On deck "Tibetan peach pie : a true account of an imaginative life / Tom Robbins" - I know nothing of the author read a favorably book review - it'll probably suck.
Based on my personal impression of Robbins, it will suck.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:17 am

theCryptofishist wrote: Music and words are quite different things. And even if it's the song-writing/lyrics you like, song is more like poetry than the prose of memoir. Now, music and math? That's really common. Go figure...
I get that. However, I remain bitter that my almost instantaneous ciphering never fails to impress while any attempt at music results in people running for the hills with arms reverse akimbo. I must be ahead of my time or something like that.
theCryptofishist wrote:Based on my personal impression of Robbins, it will suck.
Correct, as usual, Fishy. I did slog through it, though, really to find paragraph after paragraph that were in direct contradiction to his repeated assertions of how good a writer he claims to be more than anything else. A dearth of humility only topped by his claimed success with the women.

I found his style awkward, contrived and really quite amateurish for someone who claims to analyze and fine-tune every sentence he writes. There was one paragraph early on in the book where I could do nothing but shake my head and cringe (I think I audibly groaned as well). I wish I would have bookmarked it to share, just terrible.

I am a huge fan of long-winded sentences that are properly constructed as well as parenthetical asides but after reading this I am reconsidering that bent:

"The alleys become all the more interesting after nightfall, when they softly resonate with stray disembodied fragments of music (live or recorded), intellectual discourse, dog-bark, couple-squabble, and woo-pitch, not to mention the even less tangible secrets that seem to seep from the shadowed crannies, the walled gardens, and the back bedrooms of the decorous houses that face city streets with feigned nonchalance, as if oblivious of, or at least indifferent to, the eccentric little rivers of alley life -- incongruously cultured, intermittently raw, and potentially threatening -- that course stealthily behind them."

That said, I did read all 360-odd pages (emphasis on odd) so that must say something (probably shouting out my level of boredom, either that or how easily entertained I can be at times). I was surprised to learn that I had read "Still Life with Woodpecker" as a young man but the fact that I remember not one lick of it (apart from the title) quickly assuages that notion.

Today I hope to lay on the lounge and crack "Nine Years Under -Coming of Age in an inner-city funeral home" by Sherri Booker. I really ought not to pick books based on titles, one would think I would have learned that lesson by now.

Awaiting me at the library Carsick : John Waters hitchhikes across America / John Waters, yet another purchase request. It's gonna be awesome or it will suck or it will be somewhere in between of that I am sure.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:07 am

P.S. - Not to belabor the point but I wrote that prior to reading the very last two chapters one of which contained the following:

"Although at first glance there may appear to be a fairly thin line between them, there are significant differences between the attempt to somehow magically exert one's will on tangible reality for one's own benefit (manifestation), and the inspiration to imagine entirely new realities (sometimes to add color and bounce to the drab waltz of existence, sometimes to facilitate the recognition of wonder, sometimes just for the hell of it); between an attempt to mentally force fortune to alter it's course for one's personal gain (to manifest, say, a winning lottery ticket), and possessing the lightness of spirit and the freedom of mind to live as if such developments would pale in comparison to those one regularly experiences at the piano, the easel, the writing pad, or upon viewing a pattern of fallen leaves in the gutter, to live -- against all evidence -- as if advances in fortunes were already here."

Ugh.

Oh, and the homespun Ratherisms, although no less folksy, served no purpose other than to convey his desire to be perceived as a witty every-man when in reality gives, at least this reader, the exact opposite impression. A transparent attempt at portraying oneself as something one believes they are the antithesis of (and this parenthetical serves no purpose other than to not end the sentence with a preposition which frankly, I don't give a fuck about anyway).

Overall I don't regret investing the time mainly because I feel I know enough now not to pick up any of his stuff in the future (as unfair as that assessment may be). Hey, what can I say? You get one chance with me, give it your best shot.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:25 am

I find his works unique and entertaining. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:31 am

The Last of the Doughboys... History and interviews with centenary Doughboys..

Kind of neat read.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:31 am

Andrew Solomon's Far From the Tree. Excellent so far.
Finished a book on Kitty Genovese.
The Lady with a Lamprey

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:08 pm

I was about to die laughing when I saw the title, but this is a great book: Mud: A Military History by C. E. Wood. Just finished it.The book is an in-depth examination of mud throughout military history and its importance in battle, from Waterloo to Iraq, and is a fascinating read.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 am

Mud is one very good reason not to invade Russia.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Open Discussion”