What are you reading?

All things outside of Burning Man.
^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Re: What are you reading?

Post by ^Rhino! » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:57 pm

I just finished reading "Two Tankers Down" by Robert Frump. a highly respected and nationally recognized maritime journalist. It's the story of the oil tankers SS Fort Mercer and SS Pendleton, and their sinking in a gale on the night of Feb. 18, 1952. This occurred in a full gale in near-blizzard conditions off the east coast near Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Both tankers coincidentally sank on the same night.
It's also the story of Bernie Webber, a young lifeboat coxwain with the United States Coast Guard who led a four man crew out of Chatham harbor that night in a 36-foot lifeboat. Braving seas with waves up to 60 feet tall, Webber and the men aboard CG36500 saved 32 lives that night, getting them aboard in 40-foot seas and returning them to dry land. Webber represented the finest traditions of the Coast Guard and its unofficial but auspicious motto, " you Have to go out; you don't have to come back".
Webber and the four men on his crew would receive the Coast Guard Medal For Valor for their action. They also will be remembered for achieving the intent of the official Coast Guard Motto, Semper Paratus(Always Ready)!
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:40 pm

Wow.
I have always felt high respect and admiration for Search-&-Rescue crews of all stripes. This, perhaps because... one of the first novels I ever read (as a young teen) was about the crash of a de Havilland DHC-3 Otter in a Norwegian snowstorm and the eventual rescue of the crew.

At the trucking firm, we had a retired Coast Guard diver who suffered serious arthritis type ailments, and he had a pretty good idea why; "Too many swims in ice-cold arctic waters".

Recently, I have read two "coast guard" related books.

"Blind Man's Bluff" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew, "The untold story of American submarine espionage" (1998) during the Cold War with the USSR. Search-and-rescue was not unusual in that sport – though search was far more common than rescue.

And...
"The Blockade; Runners and Raiders" by Time-Life Books (1983) – one in a series on the US Civil War. The battle of the Merrimac and the Monitor is on the cover, yes.

Both books are now available to the next reader.

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:26 pm

Eliot, I too have huge respect for the Coast Guard and the miracles that these brave nen ad women accomplish. A recent television reality series called 'Coast Guard:Alaska' appeared o the Weather Channel and was thrilling. It chronicled the lives, training, interactions, and rescues performed by the Coast Guard working out of Kodiak, Alaska, During one episode, the viewers got to meet the station commander, a Captain that flew a C-130 out of the station, as well as handling the administrative details and acting as a public affairs officer for the station. The man was humble, well spoken, and did his job to the best of his ability. He inspired confidence in th men and women in his command. During this episode, he flew the C-130 to a point north of the Arctic Circle to drop a much needed part to the crew of a Coasr Guard icebreaker so that it could complete its mission.
During the return trip, he casually told the interviewer that they had just set a record for the longest rescue flight ever completed by fixed win aircraft out of his station. He called it "just another day at the office". The man would have been a fine example of the competence exhibited by the Coast Guard for a public relations campaign. If I were 40 years younger, after seeing this series, I might have enlisted in the Coast Guard.
That's not all the service does. Besides the boating safety inspections they perform on commercial vessels, they act as guards at US Customs port facilities, serve as maritime law enforcement on the high seas ,and tend, install, and repair lighthouses and buoys for navigation. All of these functions are performed efficiently, with a minimum of fuss and in a timely manner. Bravo for the Coast Guard!
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Return to “Open Discussion”