What Isn't Burning Man?

All things outside of Burning Man.
neon tetra

What Isn't Burning Man?

Post by neon tetra » Sun May 08, 2011 9:04 am

(from the main page on the website)

"Burning Man isn't the kind of festival that most people are used to, with big stages and acts booked to play on a set schedule. Rather, it's an entirely participant-driven event, and therein lies the novelty."

Is this really still the case? With all the huge EDM stages, I don't think I can fully agree with that statement. Especially when you have 'big name' DJs flying in to play a set or 2 & then flying out to play another festival.

My question is.... where do you see this headed? Will it keep becoming more like the Miami music festival & other EDM mega-fests, or is this just a phase?

I'm curious if this year will be a bit different with Root Society gone, or if another camp is already poised to take their place.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/earthfragments2/bug.gif[/img]

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Sun May 08, 2011 9:19 am

Dam, I must have missed those.

:shock:

Packoderm

Post by Packoderm » Sun May 08, 2011 9:54 am

Probably too many of the participants at Burning Man do not know who these famous disc jockeys are to make that aspect of the festival be considered a set schedule of entertainment. When I go to one of those Ibiza type rave party things on the playa at night, I first determine if the music is OK, but it is all identical with an identical formula of thumping bass rhythms and high pitched electronic melodies followed by an eventual winding down of the rhythm and lowered volume which is invariably followed by an eruptive reprise of the prior tune. The manner in which the participants dance from one rave party is virtually indistinguishable from that of the next. Someday we'll look back and laugh at ourselves like we do when we think back on disco. I really don't see any skill displayed of which anybody can possibly become famous, at least no more skill than the light/stage show crews or sound equipment technicians display at rock concerts, and I usually come away feeling hollow inside from this display of absolutely zero imagination and creativity at such rave parties.That being said, I look forward to this year's Burning Man where I can indulge myself again in the guilty, mindless escape of such hedonism. I did see some rap during the day which was pretty good. I did not see any rock music played at a mass scale. If they were to schedule, say, AC/DC to perform, then there would be more of a danger of your concerns of Burning Man becoming a typical festival being met.

TomServo
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sun May 08, 2011 10:15 am

Kill the DJs?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Sun May 08, 2011 10:27 am

I expect that this year, like the last, will break attendance records. How many of these new people are of the 'raver' & sparklepony demographics?
My guess is a lot, though we'll have to wait until the census/afterburn report to better analyze this hypothesis.

Every 'scene' suffers from these waves of popularity and change, but the whole rave/dubstep thing is particularly infectious. It's even taking over the jam band scene, among others.

It's just my opinion, but I think it's kind of weird for a 'famous' DJ to fly in to BRC to 'play a gig', and then fly out to some other festival like Electric Zoo to perform there the next day. It doesn't seem "participant driven" when that happens. Again, this is all IMHO; YMMV.

delle

Post by delle » Sun May 08, 2011 10:28 am

TomServo wrote:Kill the DJs?

Rather than having them killed, couldn't they just be Skilled????.....

....with a bit of diversity????

Seems to me everybuddy wins then.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 am

DEAR HATERS, WE HAVE BEEN RAVING AT BURNING MAN LONGER THAN YOU HAVE BEEN GOING TO BURNING MAN.

circa 1996

so neon, why dont you go fuck yourself and your theory.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 08, 2011 10:30 am

ps....don't make Dre put a cap in Yo ass....
Frida Be You & Me

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun May 08, 2011 10:30 am

neon tetra wrote:sparklepony demographics
I celebrate when I see two words together for the first time.

Nobody's getting paid for these "gigs".

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 am

delle wrote: Rather than having them killed, couldn't they just be Skilled????.....
Hookahdome has some good ones! I loved the music there. Lots of spicy, Eastern influenced, electronic goodness.

Rather than the stages with a dozen DJs who all want to be the next Bassnectar. :P

(I do like Bassnectar BTW. But whenever someone reaches that level of popularity, it spawns a whole swarm of imitators/clones. The same thing happened in the DnB scene w/ Andy C.)

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 am

I love you too, Simon! :mrgreen:

Simon of the Playa

i dunno where dre is, check the dome.

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 08, 2011 10:37 am

Liz Estrada wrote:Image
Frida Be You & Me

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sun May 08, 2011 10:58 am

Hang them. The music that they constantly play, it says nothing to me about my life. Hang the blessed DJs.

I was enjoying Hookahdome one night in 2009 until they started talking about their new album "dropping" and interrupting the music every few mintues to promote themselves.

Ya don't like the techno, there's elsewhere to go. Sucks they attract the weekend tourists and rave repuation, but there's plenty else to do.

Like Raiders night at the Booby Bar. If we let you in.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sun May 08, 2011 11:01 am

"Burning Man isn't the kind of festival that most people are used to, with big stages and acts booked to play on a set schedule. Rather, it's an entirely participant-driven event, and therein lies the novelty."

There are big stages and acts booked to play on a set schedule. Which is posted at the venue, with times and acts.

Is this still not participant-driven, however?

Not terribly novel, esp. with acts like the Chemical Brothers, or whoever I saw last year.Two outta three.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 08, 2011 11:05 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Hang them. The music that they constantly play, it says nothing to me about my life. Hang the blessed DJs.

I was enjoying Hookahdome one night in 2009 until they started talking about their new album "dropping" and interrupting the music every few mintues to promote themselves.

Ya don't like the techno, there's elsewhere to go. Sucks they attract the weekend tourists and rave repuation, but there's plenty else to do.

Like Raiders night at the Booby Bar. If we let you in.

i'm glad you noticed Neon tetra's not so subtle plug of the Who?kahDome too...

Hookahdome has some good ones! I loved the music there. Lots of spicy, Eastern influenced, electronic goodness.

Rather than the stages with a dozen DJs who all want to be the next Bassnectar. Razz

jealous much, Neon?....like i
said, i've been raving in the dust long before you even knew where black rock city was.

nice try though.
Frida Be You & Me

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Sun May 08, 2011 11:27 am

Huh? I have no affiliations with Hookahdome at all. I just liked the EDM there more than at most stages. I didn't even stop there this past year b/c they were kind of out of the way.

Nice try though.

I am also thoroughly impressed by how long you've been 'burning'! You da man now, dawg! 8)

delle

Post by delle » Sun May 08, 2011 11:38 am

Simon of the Playa wrote: i've been raving in the dust long before you even knew where black rock city was.

nice try though.

Ok, someone's going to have to make me a chart here so that I know EXACTLY how many times and since what year each of you have been attending this thing.

Otherwise I won't have a fucking clue whose opinion matters!!!

:roll:
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun May 08, 2011 11:41 am

Let's drop the Burnier than thou shit! Ive been going since 1999, and every year is different! And every year, I need to adapt. So, basically, Im a virgin every year I go! I just wish they still gave out spankings at the Gate.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 08, 2011 11:45 am

sorry tom, the monster was poked, what the fuck did you expect...

people talk trash about Root Society they get it right back, in spades.

the only burnier than thou attitude here is the OP's insinuations.
Frida Be You & Me

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun May 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Is this camp warfare? The only drama I'm interested in is Death Guilds refusal to compete against the Black Rock City Roller Girls.

goathead

Post by goathead » Sun May 08, 2011 12:10 pm

I'm looking forward to BDC&WB vs TC

:twisted:

a fight to the DOOM.

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Sun May 08, 2011 12:11 pm

I loved Root Society, save for a few DJs. I had a blast there.

I mentioned them because they were the biggest EDM mega-stage last time around, and they won't be there this year. I'm wondering if the mega-rave trend will continue, or if it possibly peaked & will be on the decline.

But Simon needs to view EVERY topic as an opportunity to be a dick to me. It's ok, I'm flattered. :wink: :twisted:

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 08, 2011 12:38 pm

sure, put out some snide bullshit, and then back away when called out on your shit.

by implying that big sound and the "phase" burning man is going thru is somehow "NOT what burning man is" is the gist i get from your post...it's not that subtle.

bullshit thread....bullshit OP.

far from taking every opportunity to pick on you, it is you who have decided to be a douchebag and post confrontational nonsense designed to provoke the very response you're bitching about.

dish it out, take it...fucknut.
Frida Be You & Me

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Sun May 08, 2011 12:58 pm

When we were having initial conversations with Rudra, who was the bartender for Filthy Gentlemen's Club in 2010, about joining us this year, one of the first things he mentioned was the need for a DJ. I responded with, "we let the machine take care of that,,,"

I understand the idea of having someone there with his/her pulse on the mood and atmosphere of the moment and playing whatever music accordingly. In this modern era of programmable music players which can fade-in the next song and either randomly select from your 100-hour+ supply or play a preselected list, the need for a DJ,,,, to my way of thinking,,,, is extremely low.

Of course we play tons of older stuff and have various lists to choose from depending on the time of day and the desired environment. If we wanna dance, there's a list for that,,,, if we wanna play, there's a list for that! If we wanna listen to nothing but Pink Floyd, Santana, Led Zepplin, Enigma or whoever else,,,, yup, we can do that at the push of a few buttons.

As-far-as the concern for the event driving the participant rather than the participant driving the event, there may be some of that occurring where mega-bucks are poured into the project. That seems to heighten the expectation of "professional" entertainment,,,, whether it is fact or not. Personally I think it sad that select individuals are allowed to "bless us with their presence" for a day or two and leave. But those venues do not really attract me; therefore, they are of little or no concern to me.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 08, 2011 1:02 pm

scott and ken from crystal method stayed with us at root society the entire week.

they also did not get paid for their set.

anything else you wanna whine about?
Frida Be You & Me

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun May 08, 2011 1:18 pm

Kill the DJs!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun May 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Ah. This thread makes me glad I have neon tetra plonked.

Although, i do hate to do that to another fish. Oh well, it's a big ocean.

And I never did well with music at parties. I'm a "let's have an intense conversation" type. So I'm totally unqualified to say anything in this thread. Oh well, not the only one.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Sun May 08, 2011 4:03 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Ah. This thread makes me glad I have neon tetra plonked.

And I never did well with music at parties. I'm a "let's have an intense conversation" type. So I'm totally unqualified to say anything in this thread. Oh well, not the only one.
thats something i like to do to, when the music gets too loud for my tender ear, i go and hide in the kitchen and have long fantastic conversations. hope to get the chance with you fishy :D
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Sun May 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:scott and ken from crystal method stayed with us at root society the entire week.
Sweet name droppin! Did you also get Robert Pattinson's autograph? 8)

Simon of the Playa wrote: by implying that big sound and the "phase" burning man is going thru is somehow "NOT what burning man is" is the gist i get from your post...it's not that subtle.
Sorry babe, I was sending someone the link in an e-mail & I thought that particular sentence on the main page was a bit.. inaccurate.
You also don't have to read every post I make, toots. ;)

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun May 08, 2011 4:50 pm

graidawg wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Ah. This thread makes me glad I have neon tetra plonked.

thats something i like to do to, when the music gets too loud for my tender ear, i go and hide in the kitchen and have long fantastic conversations. hope to get the chance with you fishy :D
Chiming in here for the lost art of conversation, sheesh, who would go hang out for a week with such fantastic people and then, Not Even Speak. Or not allow other people to speak? I like to dance, sure, I'm looking forward to that but honestly the people of Burning Man are the attraction for me so I hope I can hear what they have to say.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Return to “Open Discussion”