What Isn't Burning Man?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 08, 2011 8:01 pm

neon, douchebaggery will get you plonked, just like most of the regulars have already done.

go masturbate elsewhere, or at least try presenting some ideas and concepts or opinions that dont stink of your pseudo-hippy horsecrap hypocritical whiney drip drip drip ad nauseum bitching and moaning.

Plonk...
Frida Be You & Me

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Sun May 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:Plonk...
What is this, the 20th time you claim to have 'plonked' me?

I think you win a free sandwich for this one! :D
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/earthfragments2/bug.gif[/img]

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sun May 08, 2011 8:30 pm

delle wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote: i've been raving in the dust long before you even knew where black rock city was.

nice try though.

Ok, someone's going to have to make me a chart here so that I know EXACTLY how many times and since what year each of you have been attending this thing.

Otherwise I won't have a fucking clue whose opinion matters!!!

:roll:
1999 was my first year...against my wishes. Ive been involved with the DMV and DPW since. Again, eplaya is NOT the real playa!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Sun May 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Whatever happened to everyone's entitled to their own opinion? Agree to disagree?

just saying...
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Sun May 08, 2011 9:54 pm

maryanimal wrote:Whatever happened to everyone's entitled to their own opinion? Agree to disagree?

just saying...

Simon decided that eplaya is HIS playground, and he will constantly harass anyone that he doesn't wanna play with. It's sad, but mildly amusing at the same time.

I wish him only the best. He obviously has psychological issues & the messageboard format seems to magnify them for him.

May he be free from suffering and the causes of suffering. May he know true peace and joy. May he be filled with loving kindness, may he be at ease.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun May 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they are all full of shit.

That being said, some people are bigger assholes than others, regardless of the number of times they have been to Burning Man.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun May 08, 2011 10:33 pm

May he be free from suffering and the causes of suffering. May he know true peace and joy. May he be filled with loving kindness, may he be at ease.
Shut up.

You smarmy, condescending, hypocritical hippie.

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Sun May 08, 2011 10:36 pm

:swoon:

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Mon May 09, 2011 7:34 am

I'm not dead yet. I just thought I'd announce that.

Carry on.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 am

Kisha....Plonk....

oh god, that felt good....now maybe these threads wont be so per-stickity...

it feels good to silence the yap yap yap of little dog minds.

go bark at something else, oh puntable ones.
Frida Be You & Me

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: What Isn't Burning Man?

Post by Bob » Mon May 09, 2011 8:06 am

neon tetra wrote:(from the main page on the website)

"Burning Man isn't the kind of festival that most people are used to, with big stages and acts booked to play on a set schedule. Rather, it's an entirely participant-driven event, and therein lies the novelty."
It's true, Polkacide isn't exactly a 'big' act, they didn't exactly perform on a 'big' stage, and if anything dancing the polka is participating.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Mon May 09, 2011 9:13 am

Sensei wrote:I'm not dead yet. I just thought I'd announce that.

Carry on.
Well, there's ONE good post on this thread.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon May 09, 2011 9:44 am

Isn't it simply grand.

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Mon May 09, 2011 9:49 am

wow sensei! i,ve been reading stuff he wrote 7 years ago!!!! i thought perhaps he had become enlightened and now only existed in energy form!
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon May 09, 2011 11:04 am

TomServo wrote:Let's drop the Burnier than thou shit! Ive been going since 1999, and every year is different! And every year, I need to adapt. So, basically, Im a virgin every year I go! I just wish they still gave out spankings at the Gate.
You just went through the wrong lane . . .

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 09, 2011 11:44 am

Sensei wrote:I'm not dead yet. I just thought I'd announce that.

Carry on.
Yay!

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Mon May 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Savannah wrote:
TomServo wrote:Let's drop the Burnier than thou shit! Ive been going since 1999, and every year is different! And every year, I need to adapt. So, basically, Im a virgin every year I go! I just wish they still gave out spankings at the Gate.
You just went through the wrong lane . . .

Just wanter over to Greeter's Camp - where they will gladly beat your butt.....

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon May 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Indeed, that photo was taken at the Greeter's station . . . most assuredly not the Gate. :lol:

H.G.Crosby

Re: What Isn't Burning Man?

Post by H.G.Crosby » Mon May 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Bob wrote:
neon tetra wrote:(from the main page on the website)

"Burning Man isn't the kind of festival that most people are used to, with big stages and acts booked to play on a set schedule. Rather, it's an entirely participant-driven event, and therein lies the novelty."
It's true, Polkacide isn't exactly a 'big' act, they didn't exactly perform on a 'big' stage, and if anything dancing the polka is participating.

yeah, but the hava Negilah they played at the wake was EPIC.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon May 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Yet was it Burning Man?

The Hustler
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by The Hustler » Mon May 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:scott and ken from crystal method stayed with us at root society the entire week.

they also did not get paid for their set.

anything else you wanna whine about?
What? Crystal Method? Chemical Brothers? I thought it was a rumor or something and famous-ish DJs/acts stayed at the big corporate festivals.

The "scene battle" bullshit is sort of old before it starts. It doesn't matter if it's the hipsters or rednecks or other derogatory name of a group I find annoying.

I like to point out to the Austin hipsters that I can outrun them on my bike and I'm running a much larger gear on my well-work brakeless track bike, which I was riding as a bike messenger in NYC while they were still in high school. (Sorry for the run-on sentence, my internal AP Stylebook is going crazy)

Really, does it matter? No. I like to poke fun at "lesser" photographers who have the latest digital SLR on full auto and still need to rely on heavy post production to make boring pictures. I prefer my Soviet film camera to make my boring pictures.

That doesn't matter at all either.

So I can't imagine the "burnier than though" bullshit really mattering to anyone but some asshole who thinks they have something to prove. From what I read, saw in photos and video, Burning Man is different each year. And, with more than 50,000 people gathered over a large area, I can imagine one side is different from the other and it changes from moment to moment.

To repeat the cliche, it's never as good as next year but last year it blew whale balls, and I hear it's not going to be good this year so I probably shouldn't go.

By the way, what is Root Society? I heard/read the name somewhere.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon May 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:By the way, what is Root Society? I heard/read the name somewhere.
They are the playa's top purveyors of borscht.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Mon May 09, 2011 8:57 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:By the way, what is Root Society? I heard/read the name somewhere.
They are the playa's top purveyors of borscht.
The Root Society maintained equilibrium on the 10:00 side of BRC. Without Root Society, the constant throbbing of the playa from that end of the city shall be no more.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Simon of the Playa

Greetings from Grossinger's!

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 pm

YEAH, WE GOT THE BEET!

Frida Be You & Me

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon May 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Without root society, this is the future of burning man, with the occasional Piaf drifting through, of course.

[youtube][/youtube]
from the film

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Re: Greetings from Grossinger's!

Post by illy dilly » Tue May 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:YEAH, WE GOT THE BEET!

And it will be truly missed! :cry:

Though, luckly Nexis has that kick ass fire ball thing. And if they work for it, they might be able to maintain the 10 O'clock thump. :cry:

No body really gives a shit what my opinion is, so I'm gonna throw it out there!
All the younger folks that are all about the Techno scene now, will grow up. And as you grow up you sorta start to be less fond of techno. Of course you will always love the good DJ's and your classic favorites, but the mundane run of the mill shit gets old.
As these younger ravers get older they will start to turn away from the techno a little bit, they will always show up for the best DJs, but will not insist on techno 24/7.
But at the same time, younger raver types will start being able to make the journey to the playa, listening to techno. Then they will get older, and listen to something else. But, more young folk will show up, then they will get older, while more wipper snappers arrive.

SO, luckly 10 and 2 will always provide our thumpidy thump. While Hushville gives us a place to relax.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Tue May 10, 2011 7:31 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:YEAH, WE GOT THE BEET!

And it will be truly missed! :cry:

Though, luckly Nexis has that kick ass fire ball thing. And if they work for it, they might be able to maintain the 10 O'clock thump. :cry:

No body really gives a shit what my opinion is, so I'm gonna throw it out there!
All the younger folks that are all about the Techno scene now, will grow up. And as you grow up you sorta start to be less fond of techno. Of course you will always love the good DJ's and your classic favorites, but the mundane run of the mill shit gets old.
As these younger ravers get older they will start to turn away from the techno a little bit, they will always show up for the best DJs, but will not insist on techno 24/7.
But at the same time, younger raver types will start being able to make the journey to the playa, listening to techno. Then they will get older, and listen to something else. But, more young folk will show up, then they will get older, while more wipper snappers arrive.

SO, luckly 10 and 2 will always provide our thumpidy thump. While Hushville gives us a place to relax.
illydilly, Your opinion is spot on! It's true that as we grow old our tastes in music change. But remembering and listening to some of the music we love so much when we were younger brings back tons of great memories!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed May 11, 2011 10:09 am

maryanimal wrote: illydilly, Your opinion is spot on! It's true that as we grow old our tastes in music change. But remembering and listening to some of the music we love so much when we were younger brings back tons of great memories!
Thanks Maryanimal!
I agree one hundred and ten percent!
What sorta music gets you all nostalgic?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Return to “Open Discussion”