NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

All things outside of Burning Man.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:43 am

My first BBS experience was on an Atari.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 16943
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:44 am

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude.




i just had a flashback...
“Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.”

– Leonardo da Vinci

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

User avatar
Kinetik V
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:52 am

Ah...a Packard Bell Legend 386x, a 12 line BBS hosting flight sim files and Trade Wars...those were the days. I think there's even a 286 in the barn in Nebraska if I decided to dig it out. I think it even had the optional math co-processor on it too! Feel the power! The speed was awesome! (Cough!)

Then I look at the iPad2 and quickly regain perspective. (Just got the iPad last night...after saying I would never buy an Apple product...)
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 13956
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:58 am

Kinetic V wrote:Ah...a Packard Bell Legend 386x, a 12 line BBS hosting flight sim files and Trade Wars...those were the days. I think there's even a 286 in the barn in Nebraska if I decided to dig it out. I think it even had the optional math co-processor on it too! Feel the power! The speed was awesome! (Cough!)

Then I look at the iPad2 and quickly regain perspective. (Just got the iPad last night...after saying I would never buy an Apple product...)

I said the same thing, until i got mine. Don't you just love the iPad now? I'm thinking my next phone upgrade just might be from an Android to the iPhone too.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 am

I remember punchcards and computers without mice.

I recall a friend trying to explain the relevance of a network only two friends could access.


Has any dj used sampled modem sounds on the playa?

User avatar
Kinetik V
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am

jkisha wrote:I said the same thing, until i got mine. Don't you just love the iPad now? I'm thinking my next phone upgrade just might be from an Android to the iPhone too.


I just got mine yesterday around 4 and have been busy and not had too much time to dive into it yet. Right now on my desk I've got the iPad2, a Blackberry Playbook, and a Sprint Samsung Epic (that used to be one of their flagship Android phones). I'm building corporate support procedures, protocols, and documentation for 25 of each for people going to Macau and Singapore so I've got my work cut out for me. Once that's all done the iPad is mine.

I've never owned ANY Apple product before...not even an iPod as I went with other MP3 players...so yeah, this is truly a whole new world for me.

And Gyre, have you ever seen an 8 inch single side floppy?
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 am

The new tech?


I think I still have one.

User avatar
Foxfur
Posts: 2357
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C
Location: Banks, Oregon
Contact:

Postby Foxfur » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 am

Kinetic V wrote:And Gyre, have you ever seen an 8 inch single side floppy?

Too many witty rejoinders to choose from...

User avatar
Kinetik V
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

Foxfur wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:And Gyre, have you ever seen an 8 inch single side floppy?

Too many witty rejoinders to choose from...


I knew when I posted that I was leaving myself w i d e - o p e n for some interesting comments....
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

I think I was thinking about the 5"'. but i was at ibm when they had the 8".

Should have stayed there if I could.
I would actually know something about computers by now.

They had an apple like software system, that was so easy to use.
I can't help wondering what the world would be like, if they had offered it.

I wonder if that program was straight out of xerox?

It was far better than apple at the time.

Of course, it was running on a mainframe.

User avatar
Bob
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:51 am

BTW, will we still be able to telnet into this bbs?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

User avatar
marck
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 am
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Playawaste Raiders
Location: The Black Rock Army

Postby marck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:43 pm

I remember joining a dialup BBS because they had internet access.

I also remember surfing using a text only browser on a Data General.

I remember "upgrading" my single-sided floppies to double sided.

I have a few punchcards somewhere, but not a whole deck anymore.




(edited for gross misspelling errors)
May Shai-Hulud clear the path for you.

    Kомиссáр Logan
Over here sand blows; over there sand blows.
Over there a rich man waits; over here I wait.
Secrets give birth to more secrets

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:08 pm

I remember using punch cards when registering for college.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10159
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.
Contact:

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:15 pm

/

I worked uni vac blue prints.

dim was punch cards

User avatar
knowmad
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB
Location: Puget Sound

Postby knowmad » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:22 pm

One has not lived until they have had the joy of Working a DOD's, PDP-11! I still think in 3place Hexadecimal Machine Code.

0 000 000 010 1s1 111
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 16943
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:26 pm

basic on a wang, (go ahead have fun with that) fortran and cobol with the goddamn editor compilers....arrrggghhhh.



bad flashback...BAD FLASHBACK
“Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.”

– Leonardo da Vinci

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:37 pm


User avatar
Sham
Moderator
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Postby Sham » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:12 pm

I have been beta poking around on the new eplaya, and I am happy to say that it has a very comfortable and familiar feel to the old eplaya. There is still some tweaking going on, but it's well on it's way to becoming our eHome!

It turns out that there are many people working on this project who are much more computer savvy than I am, but I will do what I can to help with the fine tuning.

I really think that everyone will be happy with the new site and the new features that it offers.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 13956
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Shambala wrote:I have been beta poking around on the new eplaya, and I am happy to say that it has a very comfortable and familiar feel to the old eplaya. There is still some tweaking going on, but it's well on it's way to becoming our eHome!

It turns out that there are many people working on this project who are much more computer savvy than I am, but I will do what I can to help with the fine tuning.

I really think that everyone will be happy with the new site and the new features that it offers.

I haven't commented on this in the beta forums, but I'm wondering why they decided to spend so much time trying to match the colors of this site? I liked the blue, or almost any other color, compared to this drab site we have now. Plus the time could be spent on functionality issues rather than tweaking the skin to be as ugly as this site.

Since we're testers, I'm assuming the powers that be have already decided to keep the colors the same and it wouldn't be appropriate to bring up policy issues there.

But I'm just wondering.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

User avatar
tamarakay
Posts: 3112
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:27 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby tamarakay » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:37 pm

jkisha wrote:
Shambala wrote:I have been beta poking around on the new eplaya, and I am happy to say that it has a very comfortable and familiar feel to the old eplaya. There is still some tweaking going on, but it's well on it's way to becoming our eHome!

It turns out that there are many people working on this project who are much more computer savvy than I am, but I will do what I can to help with the fine tuning.

I really think that everyone will be happy with the new site and the new features that it offers.

I haven't commented on this in the beta forums, but I'm wondering why they decided to spend so much time trying to match the colors of this site? I liked the blue, or almost any other color, compared to this drab site we have now. Plus the time could be spent on functionality issues rather than tweaking the skin to be as ugly as this site.

Since we're testers, I'm assuming the powers that be have already decided to keep the colors the same and it wouldn't be appropriate to bring up policy issues there.

But I'm just wondering.


I'm with you JK, i've changed too many diapers to be happy with this brown background.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit


http://www.dyewithdignity.com

spectabillis
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Location: black rock city

Postby spectabillis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 pm

marck wrote:Stop by the TC board sometime.


wanted to do it in person, but already committed to family things this year.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:35 pm

tamarakay wrote:
I'm with you JK, i've changed too many diapers to be happy with this brown background.

I think it's supposed to be reminiscent of the playa.

Sometimes I find the contrast between the posts to be too strong.

Some forums are completely unreadable.
Try red on black fonts!

User avatar
Sic Pup
Posts: 1440
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:25 am

gyre wrote:Some forums are completely unreadable.


Is that one of the new "features"?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:42 am

I haven't seen the new one yet.

Some forums do have multiple color options.

One I spend time on changed to a horrible scheme and they finally offered an option to reset to the original format.

Adblock is your friend too.

It can be tailored to block certain features.
I blocked the live chat box on one, and couldn't force it back until I altered my adblock settings.

It can be used to block specific photos, flash, etc too, as used in siglines.

User avatar
Bob
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:43 pm

gyre wrote:It can be used to block specific photos, flash, etc too, as used in siglines.


There's an expression for blocking youtube embeds here?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 pm

I don't know if it will block all youtube in general, but it sure will block anything specific that is addressable.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:47 pm

It looks like it will block avatars too, on a specific basis.

User avatar
C187
Posts: 711
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:39 am
Burning Since: 2003
Location: Vancouver

Postby C187 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Bob wrote:
gyre wrote:It can be used to block specific photos, flash, etc too, as used in siglines.


There's an expression for blocking youtube embeds here?


You could just block the IPs/ports that youtube uses with a blocking program and list if you wanted to.

jkisha wrote:I haven't commented on this in the beta forums, but I'm wondering why they decided to spend so much time trying to match the colors of this site? I liked the blue, or almost any other color, compared to this drab site we have now. Plus the time could be spent on functionality issues rather than tweaking the skin to be as ugly as this site.

Since we're testers, I'm assuming the powers that be have already decided to keep the colors the same and it wouldn't be appropriate to bring up policy issues there.

But I'm just wondering.


Remember what I said on page 2?

I haven't seen the beta, but my guess is they are just using the current theme. Then for any new UI that came with the system update, they are modifying (or adding) the style sheet to make it match.

User avatar
knowmad
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB
Location: Puget Sound

Postby knowmad » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:30 pm

post a screen shot!
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri

User avatar
Bob
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Was asking if there's an expression for blocking youtubes embedded on an eplaya page, not youtubes in general.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam


Return to “Open Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests