All things outside of Burning Man.
Edana

Native American family attacked by skinheads in Fernley

Post by Edana » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Native American family attacked by skinheads in Fernley

Post by Savannah » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 pm

God, that's disgusting. Worse than rabid dogs.

I'm glad the FBI is handling it. Otherwise they wouldn't even have a chance.

Sigmund

Post by Sigmund » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:17 am

Unbelievable... I hope that these scumbags, local police officers included, will get what they deserve !

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:11 am

I just wish there were some secondary source besides the same Native American media network and a bunch of recycling blogs. Here's the last reference to it on Eplaya.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:12 am

About as bad as Peoria.
Tonight, around 11 p.m., a group of at least 60-70 African American youth marched down one of the side streets (W. Thrush) to the 4 lane main drag (Sheridan). They were yelling threats to white residents. Things such as we need to kill alll the white people around here. They were physically intimidating anyone calling for help from the police. They were surrounding cars. Cars on the main drag had to slam on their brakes to either avoid the youth blocking not only all four lanes, but a large section of the side street as well. fights were breaking out among them. They were rushing residents who looked out their doors, going on to porches, yelling threats to people calling the police for help.

Cars were doing U turns on the streets just to avoid the mob, mostly male. One youth stated his grandfather was white and several assaulted him on the spot. One police officer answered the call. The youth split into two large groups, one heading north, the other south. They were also yelling racial threats to the police officer but he was outnumbered. Another police car did not show up until after the youth finally dispersed and the patty wagon (van) also eventually showed up.

Residents are very shaken, both black and white alike. This is the fifth large mob action in about a month with smaller groups of 10-12 are out threatening children and adults a few evenings a week or later into the night. The times vary, even occuring during the day. In talking to the police officer, they are short staffed. Residents were advised to simply keep inside and to lock their doors. In other words buckle down, it’s not even safe to sit on your porch or go into your yards.
Peoria Chronicle

Things are crazy everywhere.

Here's the google cache but it seems to be taking forever to load, it does eventually load, though.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... google.com

The title of the story is Peorians Living in Fear
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 am

after reading the first referenced article, it appears that the attackers intended to do serious bodily harm, commit mayhem, injury and possibly murder. at this point the victims should use anything that thay have for an active defense. that would be their automobile. use it as a weapon of aggressive self defense. not much different than using a gun against an attacker breaking into your house.

The Federal government absolutely must be involved. The native americans are sovereign nations. This is not much different than crossing the Canadan border with intent, because you don't like Canadian beer.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:26 am

When I read that article I was appaled. Something is seriously wrong if they get away with something so vile.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:45 am

BBadger+1
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 am

Still haven't seen a local source pick this up.

The tribe usually get very favorable coverage by both the RGJ and Reno News and review.

Playa Hater
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Playa Hater » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:20 pm

This shit makes me sick.

goathead

Post by goathead » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:08 pm

I look at this thread and think

Violent Crimes

SUCK

and I think of the kid in Fallon who was stabbed 20+ times by a tribal member
lost and eye, in a wheel chair, will never lead a normal life.
is the FBI investigating his case?
was it a Hate Crime?
It never really made the Reno News does that mean it was a cover-up?

Fuck violent crime
Bad people come in many colors.

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Was on Channel 4 News tonight. They say they are leading an investigation into the attack. FBI is saying nothing.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:54 pm

goathead wrote:I look at this thread and think

Violent Crimes

SUCK

was it a Hate Crime?

Fuck violent crime
+1.

There is just so much WRONG about all of this. From the violence to the coverup to the victim being arrested (I'd love to know both sides of this most current story... like WHY was he arrested?)...

ANY violence against another over their race flat sucks. Absolutely gooberish. Sorry... you don't like being with other Americans who don't look or sound like you, either GROW THE FUCK UP or LEAVE. GET THE FUCK OUT.

And no, I don't care if you're black, white, native, oriental, arab, what the fuck ever. You can't handle being with other Americans, you DON'T need to be here. Period. I don't care if you DO live in some rural community. Your humanity should ster you better. Gak.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Violent Crimes

SUCK

was it a Hate Crime?

Fuck violent crime
Does not sound like a hate crime to me Goathead! Good trying to make it sound like it.

Fernley is just a fucked up backassward place and a good place to boycott by burners. Let me me see how many burners have been burnt in Fernley anyway. Seems like they had it out for anyone that isn't from thar!

AIIZ

goathead

Post by goathead » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:

Violent Crimes

SUCK

was it a Hate Crime?

Fuck violent crime
Does not sound like a hate crime to me Goathead! Good trying to make it sound like it.

Fernley is just a fucked up backassward place and a good place to boycott by burners. Let me me see how many burners have been burnt in Fernley anyway. Seems like they had it out for anyone that isn't from thar!

AIIZ
Should we boycott SF because some gang members nearly beat Coyote to death a few years ago?
How long was he in the hospital?
Why did they beat him?
Did it even make the news?

Could I walk everywhere I wanted to in safety in the SF, Oakland, LA, NY ?

Yet some of you call Fernley a fucked up backassward place, a good place to boycott?

Man beats his wife, is that a less of a crime?

HATE, is a part of violent crimes.

The excuses are different.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:32 pm

You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:42 am

goathead +100
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

bigrenondn

Post by bigrenondn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Yeah man when I read about this I was disgusted and appalled that this kind of violence can happen to someone Im related to Johnny Bonta happens to be my cousin though I havent seen him lately Ive talked to him on the phone. I hope all is well with him and his family ,I also understand one of these dirtbags that jumped him is serving in my beloved Army that is just disgusting These '' people '' I hope will be held accountable for their cowardly actions I just wish I couldve been there for him that day on the side of the road.there mightve been a different outcome. :twisted: :twisted:

jlaux42

Post by jlaux42 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Coming from the east, it would be challenging to boycott Fernley entirely (although I usually do the last of my significant shopping -- water, juice, last-minute food items, etc. -- in Winnemucca) but I wonder if we can constructively reallocate our resources. Are there any Paiute-owned gas stations or other businesses in the immediate area that we can support?

goathead

Post by goathead » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Jeremy

Why don't you just stay the fuck home.

Boycott Nevada.

turnerjer

Post by turnerjer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:49 pm

@goathead

because it's not nevada's fault. it's lyon county sheriff's office.

if fernley citizens and business owners stand against this kind of shit, why don't they speak up? if they don't, we must assume they tacitly approve. after all, they elected the sheriff.

unfortunately, speaking with your wallet is one of the last ways to be heard in 21st century America.

jeremy

turnerjer

Post by turnerjer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Also, this story has been picked up by Daily KOS. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/07/1 ... s-Arrested

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:18 pm

@turnerjer, how do you know that they aren't speaking up/and about this? Have you visited, gone into any of the stores lately, had a cup of coffee in one of the little restaurants, asked any of the residents? Or just relying on one sided, biased based blogs?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

turnerjer

Post by turnerjer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:11 pm

lucky420 wrote:@turnerjer, how do you know that they aren't speaking up/and about this? Have you visited, gone into any of the stores lately, had a cup of coffee in one of the little restaurants, asked any of the residents? Or just relying on one sided, biased based blogs?
You're right, I haven't.

This story is developing, and it's too early for vitriolic rhetoric. I apologize.

Instead, I ask that we all continue to follow this story. An FBI investigation is underway, and it seems probable that national news media will soon be involved as well. I ask that we all pay attention, and form our own judgement.

The plans for a boycott are 100% subject to change or cancellation depending on further developments in the case. The Facebook event is receiving a lot of posts from people who... let me just say, a lot of the opinions and suggestions seem a bit hasty or imprudent. However, it is also generating a lot of thoughtful discussion.

As I see it, we need two more major pieces of information before we plan our next step. The first is the FBI results, which we just have to wait for. The second is some semblance of dialogue with the community of Lyon County. And not just the official spokespeople, who will no doubt assert that everything is fine and we should mind our own businesses.

This second part is much harder. A case like this always provokes inflammatory rhetoric from all sides. I'm trying to pay attention to *local* sources like http://www.myfernleynews.com/ and http://www.rgj.com/ .

If there are any other ideas on how to open up lines of discussion, please share them.

goathead

Post by goathead » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Instead, I ask that we all continue to follow this story. An FBI investigation is underway, and it seems probable that national news media will soon be involved as well. I ask that we all pay attention, and form our own judgement.
Sure why not, if we all operated the same way you do why we should be able to form a lych mob of thousands.

How many fucking punks in Santa Cruz, Jeremy?
2010 murders in Santa Cruz 6
Rapes 31
Aggravated assults almost 400
?????
Should we hold Santa Cruz to the same ideals your holding Fernley?

You made up your mind with one side of the story.

I don't know if the guy is a punk, who started the fight, or what was involved.

I do know Fernley is a pretty decent little town, wouldn't have any problems walking any of their streets at any time DAY OR NIGHT.

Just love Californians who love to JUDGE NEVADA.

Maybe you should boycott Santa Cruz and have them clean up their act at home first.

turnerjer

Post by turnerjer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:11 pm

I don't understand why my last post provoked such an angry reaction from you, goathead. It sounds like you're saying we *shouldn't* pay attention to this story.

I acknowledge that the name of the Facebook event I created is based on a worst-case scenario. However, if you read my posts on that page, I think you'll see that what I am looking for is a reason NOT to boycott Lyon County businesses. The *threat* of boycott is powerful and harms no one. But if we have to go through with it, there will be collateral damage. Innocents will suffer, and please believe me when I say this weighs extremely heavily on me.

However, if there *is* police corruption in Lyon County, then leaving it alone will do more damage in the long run.

It's still six weeks or so before we hit the road. I hope like hell that something changes in that time, and convinces me that this extreme course of action is unnecessary.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:22 pm

goathead wrote:
Sure why not, if we all operated the same way you do why we should be able to form a lych mob of thousands.

How many fucking punks in Santa Cruz, Jeremy?
2010 murders in Santa Cruz 6
Rapes 31
Aggravated assults almost 400
?????
Should we hold Santa Cruz to the same ideals your holding Fernley?

You made up your mind with one side of the story.

I don't know if the guy is a punk, who started the fight, or what was involved.

I do know Fernley is a pretty decent little town, wouldn't have any problems walking any of their streets at any time DAY OR NIGHT.

Just love Californians who love to JUDGE NEVADA.

Maybe you should boycott Santa Cruz and have them clean up their act at home first.
+1 for GH!!

Jeremy, find a crusade, maybe closer to home.
Maybe, wait until all the facts are in.
Get off the "PC" bandwagon, of "righteous indignation" and, just try to do good, on your own, where you can.
Even if it's all true, you can't indict, or hold accountable, the whole town or county.
You gotta know, it's isolated and a small number of folks, on both sides, involved.

for, if you do hold the whole town, accountable, do you not, by necessity, have to include, the county, in general?
And, if the county, could it not be said, of the great state of Nevada? Following, could you not hold the USA, all inclusive, to blame?

I sir, will not stand by, and listen to you, berate, the United States of America!!!

"Gentlemen!!"

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:53 pm

turnerjer wrote:I don't understand why my last post provoked such an angry reaction from you, goathead. It sounds like you're saying we *shouldn't* pay attention to this story.

I acknowledge that the name of the Facebook event I created is based on a worst-case scenario. However, if you read my posts on that page, I think you'll see that what I am looking for is a reason NOT to boycott Lyon County businesses. The *threat* of boycott is powerful and harms no one. But if we have to go through with it, there will be collateral damage. Innocents will suffer, and please believe me when I say this weighs extremely heavily on me.

However, if there *is* police corruption in Lyon County, then leaving it alone will do more damage in the long run.

It's still six weeks or so before we hit the road. I hope like hell that something changes in that time, and convinces me that this extreme course of action is unnecessary.
Maybe because your just another hippy with a cause?
You don't know us.
You don't know any of the people involved.
You don't know the people of Fernley.

Go ahead boycott, do you really think it will make any differance?
Fernley exists 51 weeks out of the year without Burning Man.

There are a lot of good people in the tribe, and a few bad ones also.
Just as there are a lot of good people in Fernley, and also a few bad ones.

I have seen a lot of violence happen over the years involving BOTH.

And it has all been taken care of.

Next time I see Moe from the Wigwam Cafe in Fernley I will ask him about what he thinks of this case.

turnerjer

Post by turnerjer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:34 pm

dude i'm just trying to do what i think is right.

Return to “Open Discussion”