2004 Democratic National Convention

All things outside of Burning Man.
Simply Joel

Re: Not to be judgmental or anything, but...

Post by Simply Joel » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:22 pm

ebaynelson wrote:Hey Joel - do you have any opinions of your own, or does your entire personal philosophy come from editorials and bathroom quote books?
Opinions of my own, yes... any of which I want to share... no.

My personal philosophy based upon a healthy bit of, cynicism, pragmatism, optimism, realism and skepticism... the sources of which are too lengthy for this forum to list.

Now, if you have the time you might refer to earlier posts of "joel the ornery" where you will find it somewhere I said or inferred "it has all been said before." Which also infers, most of us are plagarizing someone if we don't give them credit or quotations.

Reagrding my intellectual diet, thanks for asking... P.J. is fun, no more, no less.... and if i were you, which I am thankfully not, I would be more concerned with other e-playans.

and finally, I was taught when I couldn't say anything nice, don't say anything all.

and for the most part, I have observed that rule on the e-playa...

(I am sure there are instances where I lost myself in some tirade, but for the most part, I measure my words and provide an example for others to follow)
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:25 pm

Joel needs to get back to fucking work.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:30 pm

PJO is stylistically stunning, intellectually abysmal.

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/style.htm

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:36 pm

DVD Burner wrote:Joel needs to get back to fucking work.
Rarely is a truer statement made in one's lifetime.

slap my salmon, baby

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:41 pm

stuart wrote:PJO is stylistically stunning, intellectually abysmal.
http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/style.htm
PJO is a humorist, nothing more, nothing less... and since you brought the subject up.... maybe if everyone that writes on the e-playa used Stephen's Guide to the Logical Fallacies http://datanation.com/fallacies/ to identify and correct said fallacies, we might move onto better more grand discourse on any number of topics... but it will take effort.

Do I think it is going to happen? Let me say, I am not going to hold my breath until it does.

slap my salmon, baby

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:49 pm

Hey, if any of you Boston area Burn type persons have a spare room and could host two very funny, very kind, and very cool filmmakers for two nights during the DNC, hit me up (I believe they need the 24th, 25th). My friends Mike and Rob from Gone Off Deep are having a hell of a time finding hotel rooms and would rather stay with new friends if they can....

cheers,
AG

ebaynelson

Re: Not to be judgmental or anything, but...

Post by ebaynelson » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:44 am

Simply Joel wrote:Opinions of my own, yes... any of which I want to share... no.
Hmm. Interesting. I guess I'll have to infer your opinions from the quotes you select.
My personal philosophy based upon a healthy bit of, cynicism, pragmatism, optimism, realism and skepticism... the sources of which are too lengthy for this forum to list.
I was hardly expecting a comprehensive list of influences, but gosh - with five -isms in your repertoire, you must be well-rounded.
Now, if you have the time you might refer to earlier posts of "joel the ornery" where you will find it somewhere I said or inferred "it has all been said before." Which also infers, most of us are plagarizing someone if we don't give them credit or quotations.
You know, some coworkers at my last job called me "ornery" once. Once...
Reagrding my intellectual diet, thanks for asking... P.J. is fun, no more, no less....
That's good. I always liked P.J.'s stuff in Automobile Magazine. Most of the time, my wife would be horribly offended by the passages I read to her, which usually made me laugh harder at his insensitive remarks.
and finally, I was taught when I couldn't say anything nice, don't say anything all.

and for the most part, I have observed that rule on the e-playa...
Okay, I'll play nice. But I would like to note your preceding comment:
...and if i were you, which I am thankfully not...
Tsk, tsk, Joel. Naughty boy.
[color=darkred]~~~
The solutions all are simple... But they're simple only when you know already what they are.

Robert M. Pirsig
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance[/color]

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:11 am

spank my monkey

slap my salmon, baby

ebaynelson

Post by ebaynelson » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:25 am

Simply Joel wrote:spank my monkey
See, now that's friendly. I'll take care of your monkey on the playa, but you'll have to get in line if you want a spanking, too.
[color=darkred]~~~
The solutions all are simple... But they're simple only when you know already what they are.

Robert M. Pirsig
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance[/color]

Rian Jackson

DNC/RNC, DNC2RNC

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:33 am

Speaking of which, is anyone forgoing BM to attend the RNC (I mean, on the outside, in the streets) Or joining the march from the DNC protest to the RNC?

Every week i flip-flop as to whether to attend BM and create a better world that way, or go to the RNC as a medic and try to save some lives.... cause it's gonna be brutal....

Simply Joel

Re: DNC/RNC, DNC2RNC

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:43 am

Rian Jackson wrote:Speaking of which, is anyone forgoing BM to attend the RNC (I mean, on the outside, in the streets) Or joining the march from the DNC protest to the RNC?

Every week i flip-flop as to whether to attend BM and create a better world that way, or go to the RNC as a medic and try to save some lives.... cause it's gonna be brutal....
I'm going to Disneyworld!

slap my salmon, baby

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:54 am

Wind_Borne wrote:They couldn't think of something better to do with that money?
Party conventions provide dozens of jobs for journalists, advertisers, lobbyists, PR spindoctors and provide valuable opportunities for local businesses to get in on the pay-to-play schemes and finally make their dreams of paying someone off to get contracts a reality.

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:12 pm

I'm going to Disneyworld!
I can't recommend Mission Space or Tower of Terror highly enough.

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:29 am

question,

who will have the most happy people at it's convention and who will have the most protesters? :roll:
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:22 pm

John Kerry described his Republican critics as 'the most crooked, lying group I've ever seen.' Now, that's saying something, because Kerry's both a lawyer and a politician.
- Jay Leno

I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.
- Margaret Thatcher

Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles.
- Pat Paulsen

slap my salmon, baby

Return to “Open Discussion”