Navy Federal Credit Union doesn't care if you are disabled

All things outside of Burning Man.
Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Navy Federal Credit Union doesn't care if you are disabled

Post by Jax Dee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 am

I just need somewhere to vent this cause I am so angry right now. Navy Federal Credit Union has earned my ire before with their poor choice in collection agents during my divorce, but they have hit a new low. They are aware that I am out of work and awaiting disability. I have made what payments I could and made arrangements to make more payments once my COBRA is paid off. I also have surgery to save for. I have not used any of my disability money for my goofing off or personal expenses, but instead borrowed money from my brother and boyfriend to afford that little luxury. My parents are doing their best to support me on a daily basis. The jerk who just called me interrupted me constantly, accused me of not caring and basically lying about my circumstances. I calmly told him that he was mistaken, he obviously didn't want to continue talking to me since he was being abusive, and I hung up on him. I then called NFCU back to let them know I will now be pulling my business from them from now on and they won't be seeing a penny. Ever again. I encourage others to look into other credit unions to service their needs. NFCU apparently only provides good customer service as long as you aren't in any need yourself.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union doesn't care if you are disabl

Post by illy dilly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Good to know!
I'm sorry they are putting you through hell!
Credit Unions are supposed to stand behind their members. Did you let the NFCU know why/who it is that has made you decide to stop doing business with them?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:37 pm

just wondering if you have the name and phone number of the fuck?

wonders how he would like non-stop calls telling him what a turd he is?

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:31 pm

From my days practicing bankruptcy law I know the MoFo's at Navy Federal to be as bad as you describe. They are just a big, uncaring bank with the misleading name "credit union".
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Ugh. You have my sympathy. I hope your circumstances improve. Now is a particularly rough time for anyone who isn't wealthy.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

This is your friend...and also a quite effective billy club. The Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consume ... /cre27.pdf

I've used some of the stuff in the FDCPA with great results. Know your rights, and fight back and I do mean FIGHT. And if they call themselves a credit union and treat you like that it's time to pull every last dime and jump ship. There are other places who will treat you...and your money with respect.

Edit: By the way that "jerk" was doing his job...and the nastier he / she is, usually the more effective they are and the more money they make. I also recommend other brushing up...NOLO's got some good books and even free suggestions online to help out with fighting back.

If they cross the line...I also highly suggest a complaint to your state Attorney General and / or Consumer Affairs group. Be prepared though...while some are ethical, for others the only time they have heard of ethics is when they heard it on TV.

One last thing...kill 'em with kindness. Be nice, admit nothing, deny everything, or better yet keep your mouth shut as much as you can. Don't give them any stories, or anything they can use against you. Because they will try and use it.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Jax Dee

Post by Jax Dee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Thank you for the kind words and information. I will not name the person here simply because I feel that is inflammatory. I did try to speak to their supervisor but after being on hold for over half an hour was told they were too busy to speak to me. Sure. I have decided to simply spread the word wherever I can, FB, Twitter, Blog, here, wherever. The way I was spoken to as a disabled American made me feel like a second class citizen in a way no other company has ever made me feel. It was awful.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
-Buddhist Blessing

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:05 pm

I understand and respect where you are coming from....but they are out to make money and push your buttons in any way they can to get it. The tactics are well established and very effective.

I don't want to preach but you wrote something I have to respond to about sharing your experience via social media. I use social media as another billy club...and it's put money in the bank for me. But you have to be cautious. Notice my current sigline on my posts: 'The best "mining" in Nevada is done with a touch screen, not a pick axe.". I don't do debt collections but I do data mining and other things. And social media has been like someone giving me the keys to Fort Knox and saying help yourself...and here's a cart to haul the gold out with. You would be amazed on what people share...sometimes unknowingly. Unless you've got a sock / alias account be careful what you post on social media. The debt collectors are using Facebook to find, track, and harass people, and it's only going to get nastier as the economy gets worse.

In short...vent...but be careful in doing so. You don't want to give them ammo to come back at you with.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Jax Dee

Post by Jax Dee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Kinetic V wrote:I understand and respect where you are coming from....but they are out to make money and push your buttons in any way they can to get it. The tactics are well established and very effective.

I don't want to preach but you wrote something I have to respond to about sharing your experience via social media. I use social media as another billy club...and it's put money in the bank for me. But you have to be cautious. Notice my current sigline on my posts: 'The best "mining" in Nevada is done with a touch screen, not a pick axe.". I don't do debt collections but I do data mining and other things. And social media has been like someone giving me the keys to Fort Knox and saying help yourself...and here's a cart to haul the gold out with. You would be amazed on what people share...sometimes unknowingly. Unless you've got a sock / alias account be careful what you post on social media. The debt collectors are using Facebook to find, track, and harass people, and it's only going to get nastier as the economy gets worse.

In short...vent...but be careful in doing so. You don't want to give them ammo to come back at you with.
Thank you for the info but I am not worried. I've been using an alias online since I was 15.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
-Buddhist Blessing

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:44 pm

I didn't know Facebook let you use an alias. I hope I didn't disclose too much when I posted I am going to have to look into public assistance, and later posted my wage, which is scheduled to decrease in the near future.
--Russell Kirsch

Jax Dee

Post by Jax Dee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:02 pm

BAS wrote:I didn't know Facebook let you use an alias. I hope I didn't disclose too much when I posted I am going to have to look into public assistance, and later posted my wage, which is scheduled to decrease in the near future.
Facebook has no way of knowing what your real name is when you sign up. It's up to you what you tell them, and also what name you have show as your title. Just edit your privacy settings. I wouldn't worry about your post. You didn't say anything wrong imo. If it bothers you though, then delete it. Better to feel safe than anxious.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
-Buddhist Blessing

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:10 pm

I don't think I'll delete it. FWIW, I'm making $12.16/hour, and it is decreasing as part of the alleged saving of the economy.

Anyway, good luck with your financial institution (I don't want to call them a credit union.) I need to switch from Associated Bank-- while at Walgreens the other day I found out from the cashier that UW Credit Union charges significantly less than Associated for overdrafts. Later I found out that Associated had taken in billions in profits and did not pay ANY state tax. Not as bad as what you've gone through, but still enough to make me disgusted with them.
--Russell Kirsch

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Kinetic V wrote:This is your friend...and also a quite effective billy club. The Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

I've used some of the stuff in the FDCPA with great results. Know your rights, and fight back and I do mean FIGHT. And if they call themselves a credit union and treat you like that it's time to pull every last dime and jump ship. There are other places who will treat you...and your money with respect.
If you're getting collections calls, go buy yourself a recorder you can attach to your phone. Let the rep know at the beginning of the conversation that you're recording it (hit record as soon as you know its a collector) and ask them to clearly state their name and a contact phone number. If they don't, repeat the request. Keep repeating it until they do. Then let them proceed.

If they don't want to give their name & a contact number on the record, state clearly (so it can be recorded) the date & time and that the rep refused to give their name & contact number. Then hang up.

If they say yes and then something harassing or that you feel might be harassing, ask them to repeat it. Follow KV's advice.

You'll be amazed how polite a lot of them become knowing they're being recorded.

Save the recordings!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Jax Dee

Post by Jax Dee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:39 am

Eric wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:This is your friend...and also a quite effective billy club. The Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

If you're getting collections calls, go buy yourself a recorder you can attach to your phone. Let the rep know at the beginning of the conversation that you're recording it (hit record as soon as you know its a collector) and ask them to clearly state their name and a contact phone number. If they don't, repeat the request. Keep repeating it until they do. Then let them proceed.

If they don't want to give their name & a contact number on the record, state clearly (so it can be recorded) the date & time and that the rep refused to give their name & contact number. Then hang up.

If they say yes and then something harassing or that you feel might be harassing, ask them to repeat it. Follow KV's advice.

You'll be amazed how polite a lot of them become knowing they're being recorded.

Save the recordings!
Thx for the advice!
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
-Buddhist Blessing

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Jax Dee wrote:Thx for the advice!
I've been unemployed for a year & a half, so juggling bills & dealing with those calls is becoming a specialty. I was also a customer service manager (half phone, half in-store) for 8 years. I know what good customer service is supposed to look like.

I never let myself yell at the other person- I will most definitely let anger into my voice, but I never yell. I let the person I'm dealing with know that "I know it's not them it's the company"; you will get much better service if you recognize that and treat them as a person. I've even gotten them laughing as I'm working on getting another week to pay something off.

With collections, all that is out the window. Attempt to negotiate yourself a deal (politely) that gives yourself more time to pay down the bills. Stay calm and give out a minimum of information, remind them the economy sucks & you're trying, talk politely. As soon as they turn harassing do what I posted above. You can even say that the conversation has taken a belligerent tone (so it's recorded) and that they may have a supervisor call you back when they want to seriously work out a payment plan. And Hang Up.

Bottom line: they just want the money. You have the power- use it. Take control of them. It's easy with a little practice.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:50 pm

eric + 1000 ( i wish it was money) thats really really good advice
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Return to “Open Discussion”