The Tick

All things outside of Burning Man.
technopatra

The Tick

Post by technopatra » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:06 am

I spurned the live action show when it was on Fox, because I loved the cartoon and was really pissed that they changed Die Fledermaus into Bat Manuel and American Maid into Captain Liberty.

Well I recently broke down and rented season one - the only season, I think - on dvd and OHMIGOD it's best show I've seen in years!

Patrick Warburton was made to play the Tick. His delivery is incredible.

The art direction is gorgeous. Drop-dead gorgeous. And the photography...they use a lot of wide angle lens close ups, creating some seriously Brazil-esque moments.

But the writing...is some of the funniest strings of words put together, ever. It's like Rob the Wop, LRB, and Don Muerto rolled into one, with just a dash of DVDB for a taste of surreality.

Some fave lines from Disc 1:

"Java Devil..you are now my bitch!" - the Tick talking to the coffee vending machine after "saving" a man from its evil reign of terror at the bus station.

"Arthur, I've told you who I am. I mean, how many times must I repeat it? I am the sterling silver ladle of justice pouring its foamy cream over the just-picked strawberries of crime." - the Tick, after Arthur asks him, yet again, who he is.

" You're on a first name basis with lucidity, little friend. I have to call it "Mr. Lucidity" and that's no good in a pinch." - the Tick to Arthur, reaffirming that they make a good team.

"I am employed by the United States government to be a symbol of all that is good and right. Now, they were mad enough when I went into detox and they're sure as hell not gonna love this." Captain Liberty when she finds out nude pictures of her are being published in "Peek-a-Boom" magazine.

"How can I be a superhero in a world where The Immortal can die? He was The Immortal!! I'm... I'm... I'm just hypoglycemic what chance can I possibly have??" Arthur at the Immortal's funeral.

"Bachman Turner Overdrive, look at this! He once fought a guy who was made entirely of blackholes... heavy!" the Tick, reading the Immortal's biography.

ROTFLMAO over and over again...just thought I'd share. Any other Tick fans out there? What are some of your fav lines?

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:55 am

Is there only one DVD for the whole series? Was'nt the Tick on for at least a few years? I'd love to see that. Do you have to rent it only in lower haight rental stores?

The Tick was really funny. Thanks for the memories.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:44 am

DVD Burner wrote: Do you have to rent it only in lower haight rental stores?

No, that would be Haight Mongering.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:45 am

....and shoplifting The Tick would be a Haight Crime.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:59 am

Loved the Comic when it first came out. I own most of them.

Looked forward to the cartoon, wasn't disappointed.

Seen only one of the shows, awesome. Never seen another one as it was off the air too quick. Thanks, I will definitely look for it.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

Lostfolio

Post by Lostfolio » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:05 am

There is, suposedly, a "lost" episode of the Tick LA series. It involves Arthur getting hurt and winding up on the hospital. Originally it was going to be #2 (hence the odd jump to the Immortal's funeral). Is that on the disc set? Huh huh, is it, is it?

I have hearted the Tick in all incarnations and was so pleasantly surprised by the live action version, that I knew it was doomed. Always, when a show is really good, odd and I like it, it is bound for early cancellation (I'm looking at you Max Headroom).

Bat Manuel: What color are your liberty panties?
Capt. Liberty: Why do you always have to hide behind sex?
Bat Manuel: I can't help it, it's so big.
Love pussy, hate Bush

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:31 am

i totally agree with you techno,
the tick was our early 90's favorite as well.

excellent art direction, writing was freakin hilarious.

SPOON!

-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:32 am

i miss the early Ren & Stimpys too...
(john kay rocked).
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:38 am

shitmouse wrote:i miss the early Ren & Stimpys too...
(john kay rocked).
-b
Glad you put in the 'early' stipulation. I have no idea what happened, but it lost its edge that made it funny. They even tried to bring R&S back from the dead a couple years ago. Really, really horrid. I guess you can't go back.

In the awesome animation department- gotta include Rocky and Bullwinkle & gang.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

Lostfolio

Post by Lostfolio » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:51 am

The Back From the Dead R&S was done without John K. Apparently Nickleodeon took issue with a) Jon K's snail like pace in creating new episodes and b) his new extra-vulgar style.
Love pussy, hate Bush

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:53 pm

Blast it all! I might finally have to break down and buy a DVD player! I've liked the Tick ever since I read an issue while working at Capital City Distribution! I really liked his original origin, where he escaped from an insane asylum and had an argument in a diner about whether or not he really was a tick...!

I saw a few of the cartoon episodes and liked them as well, but only saw a few moments of one of the live action show.

Firefly, the Tick, I've got to start writing down DVD's I want to buy.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:09 pm

Fox has had SO MANY great shows that never made it a full season. The Tick, Firefly, Wonder Falls, Pasedena. I think Andy Richter Controls the Universe made it a full season before being kicked, Family Guy was what, 2 or 3?

"All I know is, I hate racists. I hate everything about them, their music, their food, their so-called religion, the way their men are so skinny, and their wives are all so fat, but mostly, I hate the way they judge people based on tired stereotypes."

DancesWithElves
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Distrikt

You can buy it on DVD

Post by DancesWithElves » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:13 am

Just look for "The Tick - The Entire Series (2001)" on Amazon or its ilk. It's classic stuff!!

And yes, I agree on the good shows are doomed theme - first time I ran into that was WAY back... anybody remember a little show called "When Things Were Rotten" ??? Anyone?... Anyone?... Buhler?
She who must be obeyed

Lostfolio

Re: You can buy it on DVD

Post by Lostfolio » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:23 am

DancesWithElves wrote:Just look for "The Tick - The Entire Series (2001)" on Amazon or its ilk. It's classic stuff!!

And yes, I agree on the good shows are doomed theme - first time I ran into that was WAY back... anybody remember a little show called "When Things Were Rotten" ??? Anyone?... Anyone?... Buhler?
Good god, you just made me spew coffee all over my monitor. "Whne things were rotten was my favorite show when I was a wee lad. I remember the theme featured the line "Gooood for Robin Hoooood!" Another gem from that period was a game show in prime time called "The Liars Club".

As for great shows that were doomed, I'll toss in a little ditty called "Max Headroom".

Also, Spooooooon!
Love pussy, hate Bush

rodent

Post by rodent » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:17 am

Yay Techno!!! The Tick (live action) was on top of our TIVO list durring it's short run. Sheer brilliance.

Regardless of the changes from comic'to'cartoon'to'live, the show captured the feel of the original comic IMHO.

some of my fav quotes...

"Gravity is a harsh mistress."

"Bat Manuel never goes fast, unless the husband is coming home."

Arthur: "... no offense intended"
Tick: "None comprehended!!"

Bat Manuel: "I saved a busload of supermodels... I saved them 2 times that night... if you know what I mean."
Tick: "Nope"

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:03 pm

I just put The Tick on my Netflix queue. I loved the cartoon; I loved the series.

Favorite quote (from the cartoon)

Newsman: "Can you destroy the Earth?"

Tick: "Egads I hope not! That's where I keep all my stuff!"

rodent

Post by rodent » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:07 pm

Is it ironic that the year you discovered the Tick Live is the year that the Spoon Return Camp... hasn't returned...?

...or is it jus the vodka doing bad things to my brain...?

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)

stayfrosty

Post by stayfrosty » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:19 am

There are many mysteries in this universe big and small. Like, why do clowns make us laugh? Why do we love puppy dogs? And why, why do little blue midgets hit me with fish?
Wanna buy a monkey?

aforceforgood

Post by aforceforgood » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:38 am

ok, if you haven't seen it, Invader Zim is funny as hell.

wears off quick tho, so try and see a bunch at once.

Like if there's a dvd with a bunch on em, I'd go that way- nickleodeon drove me frikkin batshit with their misleading listings, I'd set the vcr, and they'd run some other pap...

Been so busy, I don't even know if it's still on- a quick search of tvguide.com returned 0 hits.
Be the dime you seek.

Return to “Open Discussion”