Elitist Gatekeepers of DMV

All things outside of Burning Man.
Technomania Circus

Elitist Gatekeepers of DMV

Post by Technomania Circus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:57 am

:cry:
dmv because NO APPEALS - this is my appeal process then-

10 years at burning man and you're telling me what an art car is?
I spent 3k and 200 hours on my art and art car and performance and you say I can't take it for fucking various reasons as mentioned, you suck.
Catch all letter lets me know you know what art is and I don't eh?
DMV Hotties is now the police and big brother which I am fully unsympathetic with.
A BM veteran who has contributed mightily to the good vibes and encouraged masses and so many more folks to attend.
DMV hotties suck.
DMV should be called now Artists against Art.
My own Non-Participatory status now upgraded significantly and will be watching the event much much more, NOT NOT NOT participating.
Where's my goddamn lounge chair & air conditioned RV?

NOT bringing any electric sidwalk funny cars to the parade tommorrow in Haight, not participating in any Burning Man events, nor supporting them.
NOT ANOTHER DIME, you screw me, why support you.

Screw dem beuracrats at Burning Man and I express my freedom my voicing my displeasure.
Burning Man Artists against Art, that's what DMV should be called.

Will be watching, not performing any blacklight alien puppetry.
No interaction ever with Burning Man LLCers, they are the big brothers deciding who does what and when and where they want it.

Fucking elitist gatekeepers deciding who and what is art.
Fuckers, is this what Larry wanted?

Dr Techno

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:48 am

What pictures and description went along with your application? I'm assuming you did fill out the application and got a rejection letter.

Technomania Circus

yep- pictures and a description sent but no matter

Post by Technomania Circus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:12 am

Yes, did send in 3 sets of pics describing ROVING circus performance art including balancing acts on 12 foot ladders THAT WERE ATTACHED TO THE SIDE OF MY NON-ART CAR.

NO ONE, NOBODY ELSE DOES THIS ACT ANYWHERE.
tHIS IS A DANGEROUS ACT THAT REQUIRES MONTHS OF PREPARATION
I HAVE FALLEN AND BROKEN RIBS.

NOT CIRCUS CHIMERA, NOT CIRQUE DE SOLEIL, NOT ANY OF THE WHATNOT CIRCUS'S IN THE BAY AREA, NO ONE PERIOD.

Also NONDANGEROUS PERFORMANCES WERE PLANNED WITH blacklight interactive performance using blacklight negative SPACE puppetry which they probably don't know what it is, or do they, they are the artists apparently. LUNATIQUE FANTASTIQUE HINT HINT
i HAVE ALREADY BUILT AND INSTALLED A 3X6 WOODEN STAGE THAT IS ON TOP OF MY NOT ART VAN.
rOTATING ALIEN DETECTORS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED X 3.
THEY WILL BE REMOVED, THE VAN IS NOT ART ACCORDING TO DMV.

Also described interactive music equipment ON BOARD powered by inverters.
KEYBOARDS, ELECTRONIC DRUMS, ACOUSTIC DRUMS, MC-303 SEQUENCER, EFX DEVICES

Also described interactive jewelry fashioning, IN WHICH E-6000 GLUE AND BOXES OF JEWELRY WOULD HAVE BEEN PROVIDED.
I have given out hundreds of personalized jewelry pieces for 5 years.
I HAVE MADE 75 SO FAR WHICH I WILL GIVE OUT TO ONLY OUR VILLAGES, CERTAINLY NOT ANY LLCERS OR DMVERS.

Performance art doesn't count as much as visual IT SEEMS according to DMV and burning freakin man ELITIST GATEKEEPERS.

By the way, why do they call it burning man when all they do is burn wood that looks like a man.
BM Deceptors - should be called 'Burning Wood that looks like a Man"

dR tECHNO UNHAPPY TODAY, BETTER TOMORROW

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:33 am

Black light puppetry actually sounds interesting. Why can't you leave your "stage" parked and let the (non-LLC/DMV) masses come to you to see your performances. Why is it so necessasary to drive?
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Simply Joel

Re: yep- pictures and a description sent but no matter

Post by Simply Joel » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:35 am

Technomania Circus wrote: tHIS IS A DANGEROUS ACT THAT REQUIRES MONTHS OF PREPARATION
I HAVE FALLEN AND BROKEN RIBS.
as a casual observer...

I would deny the permit based on the statements above.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

Technomania Circus

Deny anything dangerous yeah allrighteo

Post by Technomania Circus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:49 am

yeah, i've done Technomania Circus shows for our camp usually on sunday nights for the past years in our village.
I've done big trapeze shows on the playa in 99 and in our own camp 2001 but there's
NOTHING like going out on the playa and doing it WHERE you want WHEN you want and with WHO you want to do it in front of.
THIS IS CALLED SPONTANEITY PERFORMANCES
but there will BE NONE OF THAT THIS YEAR.

do they and you i ask want pretimed performances with all the parts carefully written?
Let's put in on the freakin calendar, oh yeah.

Or would you want a dynamic interactive blacklight roving stage that would just appear and disappear like magic using various fluoresecent pieces as parts of a body or a face.for example. With electronic processing changing the voice into an interactive technogod who will answer all yes or no questions with frivoloose answers.
NOT THIS YEAR. It will be at home.

as I have lots of fluorescent parts to be used and interaction with the masses is the way, not couped in your camp awaiting for interacters to show up, NOPE not for me.

I am the INSTIGATOR OF PERFORMANCE< HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS "BUT ALAS i leave it to steve raspa
he's director of whatever performances, he can have it.

And as far as dangreous , i guess ALL SHARP OBJECTS SHOULD BE PROHIBITED AND ANYTHING DANGEROUS like gasoline or fire or even 12 foot ladders, based on what the casual observer knows about danger.
NO CIRCUS ARTISTS SHOULD BE PERMITTED AT ALL and certainly not any AERIALISTS< DANGER oh MY !@!
I'm SAFELY glad you weren't present years ago when it WAS DANGEROUS EVERYWHERE.

oh I'm sorry you are right maybe I'd better shut up, oh yeah.

Dr TEchno unhappy today, better tomorrow after ranting today
come on keep me going !! is this all you have?

Technomania Circus

yeah, i've done Technomania Circus shows for our camp usually on sunday nights for the past years in our village.
I've done big trapeze shows on the playa in 99 and in our own camp 2001 but there's
NOTHING like going out on the playa and doing it WHERE you want WHEN you want and with WHO you want to do it in front of.

do they and you i ask want pretimed performances with all the parts carefully written?

Or would you want a dynamic interactive blacklight roving stage that would just appear and disappear like magic using various fluoresecent pieces as parts of a body or a face.for example. With electronic processing changing the voice into an interactive technogod who will answer all yes or no questions with frivoloose answers.

as I have lots of fluorescent parts to be used and interaction with the masses is the way, not couped in your camp awaiting for interacters to show up, NOPE not for me.

I am the INSTIGATOR OF PERFORMANCE< HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS "BUT ALAS i leave it to steve raspa

And as far as dangreous , i guess ALL SHARP OBJECTS SHOULD BE PROHIBITED AND ANYTHING DANGEROUS like gasoline or fire or even 12 foot ladders, based on what the casual observer knows about danger.
NO CIRCUS ARTISTS SHOULD BE PERMITTED AT ALL and certainly not any AERIALISTS< DANGER oh MY !@!

Technomania Circus

Technomania Circus

Post by Technomania Circus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:52 am

Technomania Circus

Post by Technomania Circus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:52 am

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:56 am

I have an art car, my g/f has an art car, and I have many friends with them. I have been to a number of parades for art cars and camped with the art cars in 98 and 99. So I've seen the massive effort put forth into the cars. These aren't art cars built for the playa, but rather art cars with thousands of hours of constant modifications over years that just happen to be brought to Burning Man.

What you have is a mobile stage. While undoubtabley cool- the impression I get from the description you give- I wouldn't call it an art car either. Are you going to remove the ladders and stage and turn it back into a 'normal' van afterwards? If so, then it's not an art car IMO.

Maybe these are all permenant modifications to turn it into a circus art car. If you really want to convince them, win an art car event somewhere. Seattle, Austin, and SF have regular art car events.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

Technomania Circus

yep - shoulda used the sawsall

Post by Technomania Circus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:48 am

You are right in that respect RtW, the visual and permanent nature dominating what an art car is, and that being "the criteria."
You are the car artist, not I. And your girlfriend too!

As a performer before a visual artist first tho, trying to blend the two without spending beyond a logical budget would not be too brainy but hey i'm the one who can't just post once doh
can't do the art car right either so perhaps I should listen

I shoulda E-6000'ed circus toys all over it perhaps. Now that would be art, or would it? I should ask first now cuz I'm not sure.

BUT HEY i am a BIG circus BELIEVER guy and i believed that there was enough variants of art & performance- , an electric chair attached to teh rear trailer hitch with massaging effects on the seat, a 12 foot ladder act with 4-6 ladders attached to the side also, an interactive technogod (in 3'x4' speaker case with 15inch woofer mouth) who answers life questions with frivoloose responses, stage with blackbackdrop, blacklight powered poles, rotating alien detection devices - (7 all together, varying RPMs and antennas), electronic & acoustic musical equip, interactive jewelry making, and a blacklight alien puppet show TOO to make the car art grade rather than just sticking to "ART CAR", their description.
Kills art a bit, don't you think?
Oh I forgot, I am not the car artist.

But there is my position that as a vet there might be a bit of art respect in that in my abiliities as to what art is. They did ask on the questionairre how many years the participant had gone.
Big ass wrong assumption, I am not a car artist.

I should have embelished, I should have taken pictures of various devices, ahh screw it, in a day I'll let it go and looking forward to pulling out the lounge chair and watching the events. I'll save MONEY TOO !!
Ahh, pretty art car with fire.
Oh, look at the big dragon car..hey, is that an octopus?
I should take a picture, whoops, I can't cuz don't have a permit.

I knew on the questionairre when I answered yes to street legal I was prolly shot down.
ANd my vehicle prolly wouldn't be streetwise after all the creative changes that I had planned and THE SPONTANEOUS ones that occur on the playa when the creativity strikes....that interaction thing.
Perhaps I wasn't specific enough, I do err frequently
I forgot this is big burning business now: CYA, somebody got hurt last year : gotta have your cards in place: cross the T's and dot the I's.

You're absolutely right, you and all de other car artists out there.
I am not and shan't try to be a burning man dmv approved car artist no mo, snivel snivel.
Perhaps you'd give a bitter doctor a ride sometime.... perhaps not :>
Dr Techno

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:52 am

I still wanna see some pics. :D
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:56 am

as a casual observer...

Why?

If they read the ticket I don't see why anyone shouldn't performed to whatever level they feel competent. If accidents happen then so be it. I personally don't believe the permitting should base criteria on how safe the act is. Vehicular safety is something altogether. Demying a permit on the personal safety aspect is tantamount to babysitting by exclusion which is bullshit. Having said that I really don't imagine that denial of the vehicle for a permit was based on what was mentioned above.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Technomania Circus

some NOT ART CAR ART pics

Post by Technomania Circus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:33 am

I took all my generated drawings and transparencies of art into the BM Office.
But here's a couple of pics of some assorted puppet art, alien detectors, blacklight performance for your non-entertainment.
Remember this is CERTIFIED
NOT ART CAR ART !

perhaps next year I'll need a license to perform too.
http://www.geocities.com/technomaniacir ... arart.html

what is blacklight negative space puppetry you asked?
this is the old version of my robofriend ex:
http://www.geocities.com/technomaniacircus/robo.html

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:34 am

Badger wrote:
as a casual observer...

Why?
because i don't want to suffer through another thread about a dead burner.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:45 am

I know I sure would have liked to have this guy's project on the playa this year, sounds pretty damn cool to me.
There's lots of decorated golf carts and very low-effort junk that will hopefully be eliminated by the DMV's raising of the bar this year, but I hope they don't accidentally wipe out too much stuff that would have been really great.
I can see a problem that they'd have in approving a vehicle that relies mostly on on-board performances for it's "art car" status... they'd be faced with having to approve every vehicle that someone claimed they'd be "performing" on, and we'd be right back to having the playa crammed with schlocky low-effort examples of art cars.
The emphasis, as far as I have seen, seems to be on "mutant vehicles", rather than "art cars". They are the "DMV", not the "DAC". "Art car" conjures up images of cars, usually still street driven, decorated extravagantly but usually basically unmodified in any significant way under all those trinkets.
"Mutant Vehicle" implies more of a custom-made moving thing or a highly modified one that is unrecognizable as the car it started life as.
The DMV admits that many award-winning "art cars" would not pass muster as "mutant vehicles", and would not be permitted to drive at BM.

PurpleKoosh, or someone else who is a real DMV Hottie, please correct me if I'm not entirely on target with this interpretation of the state of affairs, but that's the deal as I understand it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:50 pm

because i don't want to suffer through another thread about a dead burner.
Thanks for pulling me out of my own tunnel vision.

You are right of course.

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:07 pm

Technomania Circus wrote:
A BM veteran who has contributed mightily to the good vibes and encouraged masses and so many more folks to attend.
DMV hotties suck.
DMV should be called now Artists against Art.
My own Non-Participatory status now upgraded significantly and will be watching the event much much more, NOT NOT NOT participating.
Where's my goddamn lounge chair & air conditioned RV?
etc., etc.

Missed the 'Good Vibes' in that post... did get the 'frothing-at-the-mouth-rage', though...

And, since BMLLC is in charge of Burning Man, they can pretty much set the standards, can't they? After all, aren't they the ones who put their asses on the line for the permits, liabilities, etc., so that the rest of us can party our protected asses off? While I espouse personal responsibility, I see that a lot of people espouse personal irresponsibility and run roughshod over everyone else. BMLLC is just trying to set standards for a group of 30,000 plus individuals.

Not that I'm in favor of it (I get this whole 'Pirate-mores' thing going sometimes), but I can understand where it comes from. CYA is a very understandable response to the death of a Burner last year. I would say "Meet the standards, or go elsewhere", which is still an option.
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

KellY

Post by KellY » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:40 pm

I'm pretty curious about the details of this whole situation. Was a permit really denied because someone at the DMV had aesthetic problems with it? This sounds hard to believe, though not impossible, of course. I know that they've got this deadline for permits that's absurdedly early - it was the middle of July or something- but I'd also heard that the definitions of mutant vehicle were still pretty liberal.

Yeah, any DMV folks out there to present their side? Techno C., can you actually post a copy of the DMV's rejection?

And if it was safety, then fuck fuck fuck all y'all. I understand that the Contessa was banned for endangering others nonconsensually, shall we say, but no one should be telling folks that their own behaviour that only affects themselves is too risky.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes

Technomania Circus

Good Vibes and the Denial Letter

Post by Technomania Circus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:46 pm

Yeah, the "good vibes" are not out today, this particular day of DMV denial, and yet whilst I will move past this it is not yet that time as this chihuahua still wants to bark some more.
I'm snipping at DMV heels, as they close their air conditioned bungalow window so they don't hear me.
I'm frothing at the mouth, boogie boogie boogie, and if I'm good enough at acting/writing that part out then snarl snarl, whoof whoof, hope I scare ya.
Perhaps someone truly would be scared of me, but I seriously doubt that, I hold absolutely no power except the power of my Itching Bitch that lies inside me, of which I shall be relieved of by a few elixirs.
Certainly by tomorrow as the spirits arise anew refusing to cave to the antiartists that masquerade as I don't think so's.
As I have clearly been told in the following letter, I know not what a Mutant Vehicle is. Certainly different than art or performance.
It's sculpture.
I am a learning tho sirs & gals, it might take me another 10 years cuz I'm slow. Real slow. That's why they asked me to put my application in for 2005 now, they invited me !! Yep.
Keep the troops in line rangers. Right over here now. so we can party our asses off, ahem. OK, I will join that group, where's my lounge chair and air conditioned RV? Really, now I can afford more of them medicinals. There's always something happening in camp so you really don't have to go anywhere. Ride your bike. Make it an electric bike. Get one of them 'quiet' scooters. Ahh, my possibilities are endless, yet none involve roving circus or blacklight performances cuz they are not sculpture.
I knew I shoulda glued all those circus toys to my van and stuck the trapeze out the top, 12 foot ladders aren't arty enough. Did I mention the neon tubes also? Besides, it's the Russian Ladders bit and well..that's enough of this spiraling downward rant...is anybody really listening? Does anybody really care? I hope not.

"The BRC DMV has received your pre-registration application and has
determined that we will not be able to issue you a license for
Burning Man 2004.

A team of DMV Hotties reviewed your application and found that
one or more of the basic criteria were not met. These include:
compliance with pre-registration guidelines and submissions; inclusion
of
safety considerations in design; fulfillment of artistic intention;
and sufficient explaination of your intent in bringing a
Mutant Vehicle to Burning Man.

By definition, a Mutant Vehicle should no longer resemble the base
vehicle. For safety reasons, it should not mimic any type of
emergency services or law enforcement vehicle. And it should be a
stunning motorized mobile sculpture that has been radically,
permanently, and safely modified.

Unfortunately, the BRC DMV does not have the time and resources for a
licensing appeals process prior to the 2004 event. If you bring this
vehicle with the intention of driving it during the event it will be
impounded at the gate.

If you wish to pre-register in 2005 to license this vehicle, please
take time to carefully review the Mutant Vehicle Licensing Criteria
and post any questions you have about creating a Mutant Vehicle to the
Art Cars e-mail list.

We look forward to seeing the Mutant Vehicle you plan to contribute to
next year's event."

Nope, I'm out and not into S&M. Usually.

Icepack

Re: Deny anything dangerous yeah allrighteo

Post by Icepack » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:46 pm

Technomania Circus wrote:yeah, i've done Technomania Circus shows for our camp usually on sunday nights for the past years in our village.

{SNIP}
Did I count that post not once, not twice, but five times in a row??

Sorry Technomania Circus, as soon as I read "broken ribs" I would have denied you too. Why even mention that on the application? Sounds like a liability issue right away. Even if you aren't worried about hurting yourself, you never know where you might land. You could land on another person and they could be injured as well. No thanks!

Bring the stage and have fun, and be safe. Nothing against risking your own health, although I've heard medevacs are expensive, but no one wants you risking the lives of the folks watching your show.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

Technomania Circus

3 cups of coffee can contribute to agitation

Post by Technomania Circus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:51 pm

yeah, that submit button wasn't giving me the morning instant response that I wanted so I hit it again, and again, and again, and again.
I think it finally worked.
Man, that was good coffee.

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:16 pm

I'm pretty curious about the details of this whole situation. Was a permit really denied because someone at the DMV had aesthetic problems with it? This sounds hard to believe, though not impossible, of course. I know that they've got this deadline for permits that's absurdedly early - it was the middle of July or something- but I'd also heard that the definitions of mutant vehicle were still pretty liberal.
I've had more than a few beers over this topic with Jewelz (Grits) around the topic of artistic 'merit' and 'judgement.' I'm sure nothing I say is gonna hold sway over Technomia's frothing. S/he obviously sore and has made up the mind to think what he will about why his application was rejected.

Having said that I know that what goes on in the evaluation process is anything but a judgement made on artistic merit - it has more to do with execution AND following through with "fulfillment of artistic intention" along with a panoply of other criterion to insure that those who make truly unique pieces aren't diminished by entrants who bring something that detracts (shoddy, unsafe, marginal) from the overall idea behind mutated vehicles. So yeah, there is judgement rendered by the DMV but defining whether it constitutes art or is 'good' art vs. 'bad' art isn't part of the equation.
Desert dogs drink deep.

KellY

Re: Good Vibes and the Denial Letter

Post by KellY » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:32 pm

Technomania Circus wrote: By definition, a Mutant Vehicle should no longer resemble the base
vehicle. For safety reasons, it should not mimic any type of
emergency services or law enforcement vehicle. And it should be a
stunning motorized mobile sculpture that has been radically,
permanently, and safely modified.
This where I think it's getting a bit too far. Actually, way too far. Yes, I agree that too many lame-ass vehicles have been allowed in the past, but the according to the above definition none of , say, Death Guild's awesome road warrior creations would be allowed, since they are still clearly cars, just very dangerous looking ones. That would be a loss.

A mobile stage, for instance, that is truly modified to be a unique performance space but still looks a lot like the original vehicle shouldn't be a problem, in my opinion. Of course, I haven't seen T.C.'s application but it sounds to me like the LLC is erring too much on the side of exclusion this year. I hope they can strike a balance in the future.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes

Megalion

Post by Megalion » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:11 pm

I'm a DMV Hottie but due to my remote location from the rest of the group I'm not completely up to speed *yet* nor have I been personally involved with going over the applications.

However I will point out one thing. We changed the name this year for a reason. It's NOT about the art and it hasn't been for several years. It's about the *mutation*. There have definitely been times when the Hotties are unified in their admiration of an art car but are miserable because it does not meet the requirements of a mutant vehicle. :cry:

It's long been a frustration for us to be accused of judging the art when really what we've been doing for as long as I've been a hottie (this is year 3) is evaluating the mutation.

But then somewhere around the end of last year's Burning Man the proverbial brick dropped out of the sky and gave us a good conk and made us realize that we should be calling the cars Mutant Vehicles cause after all we've always been the Department of Mutant Vehicles

Granted it'll take some time for the point to get across and in some cases it never will. These people will just have to continue being unhappy and pissed off and spend their time bitching and moaning.

Bottom line, more and more people keep petitioning every year for a permit for their *mutant* vehicles while we get pressured from the other side to reduce the number of permitted vehicles for safety reasons because A) the event gets larger every year and B) many people continue to act irresponsibly... whether it be driving without being licensed, driving while drunk, driving like a maniac with no regard/care for the pedestrians of the city and so on. If there were less "permitted" cars out there then hopefully there would be correspondingly less jackasses out there ruining things for everyone.

Oh and there's been many changes this year within DMV and I believe we may finally be able to start a formal Hit List of people who behave like jackasses besides the mental one kept inside the head of our wonderful HeadMistress. For example... one of the BEST and most SHINING examples of mutant vehicles (in my opinion), the La Contessa, has been BANNED from BRC for jackassery while in motion.

While none of this is going to soothe TechnoCircus's pain, I hope that at least some of you come away with a better understanding of what's going on.

Lick me, spank me, dip me in ice cream and bathe me with your tongue.... :twisted: all things said here are my personal opinions/interpretations/viewpoints based on my experience as a not yet totally in the know DMV Hottie®. Corrections of factual inaccuracies are gracefully accepted.

Technomania Circus

thanks for input

Post by Technomania Circus » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:40 am

like I said I'm slow but you gave me an idea
and tnx for your input, my Inner Itching Bitch is just about gone.
You mentioned the hit list, those who can not drive for committing hazardous acts.
We have a DMV Hottie in our camp no less and that Hottie can attest to the fact that I was a very responsible driver last year.
IF there is a hit list to remove DMVers then might there also be a list that can reward the drivers who have been doing it safely for 5+years?
Another Suggestion for next year from disgruntled veteran burner who is not very happy yesterday:
Performers and roving performance vehicle might be able to secure a special license rather than just stick with by the books "mutant vehicle"
rather than spend time making a vehicle look like a pretty butterfly or whatever type of SCULPTURE, that's the word.
There are PERFORMERS TOO in this mix. ANd YOU'RE KILLING US.
Oh, I forgot burning man just wants things to LOOK NICE, like a SCULPTURE.

Would molding a Laughing Sal head into a van be a sculpture, cuz I'm very confused now. How bout a giant weiner dog. Now, that's art. Or is is mutant, I am just not sure of anything anymore.
Not an art car artist, nor a mutant vehicle artist

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:59 am

I worked DMV in 2000, and the rule was:
"The original configuration of the vehicle must be permanently altered."

I've not seen a pic of the vehicle in question, so can't make a final say on this qualification.

My .02 is that it would make a delightful stationary exhibit.

Good luck.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:39 am

I knew Laughing Sal, bitch. Laughing Sal was a friend of mine. And you, sir, are no Laughing Sal.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:54 am

Re: art cars such as the one described --

Jesus. Why not just park it, or drive back and forth in your own camp? Look at the Contessa. Parked is pretty much the same as driving 5 mph in that thing. Just rock back and forth a little to simulate motion.

Center Camp used to have a bunch of circus acts. BRC-DMV should just set up an art car tailgating area, like the art car row a few years ago.

Leave the "open playa" to humans and human-powered vehicles, IMO. And those cute little tumbleweeds.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Return to “Open Discussion”