Confessions.

All things outside of Burning Man.
geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:50 pm

I ment that just about 100% of the stuff I have ever downloaded is stuff I ALREADY owned in a different medium. And ... since Napster has gone pay, I have bought quite a few albums, but I confess I don't like to buy things again that I already paid for once.

So ... my feeling is that I have paid the artist. Should I pay them again because I want to hear them at work? And pay them again because I want to hear them in the car?
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:55 pm

Yeah, I saw you guys live in a London club when you were starting out in the 1960s. Comp me to today's stadium show.

(Somehow, I think even a drop-out from the London School of Economics aint buying that.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

bullD

Post by bullD » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:59 pm

I tried to stay out of it but...

I will again confess that downloading, imo, is thievery.

Also, let's say, just for shit's-n-giggles, that you lost your favorite vibrator. Oh man you just loved that vibrator and you loved the person who created it.

Are you saying that just because you have misplaced said vibrator, you should not have to pay for it again and expect to gain another for free? How the fuck is it the creators/artists fucking fault that you lost whatever the fuck you lost? Why should the creator/artist have to bare any of the responsibility for your buying an item in one medium and now wanting it in another?

WTF?

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:28 pm

Nope, I am just saying that getting another copy via downloading or making a cassette or burning it onto CD is all the same thing to me. I could see it as stealing if I never paid for it at all. Getting another copy is just getting another copy. I dont see the METHOD of obtaining it as any different.

If you think that is wrong, then what you should do is disable every single copy of any music you have except one. Buy a CD and save it to your computer ... better disable the original CD somehow until you delete the copy off your computer, right?

All I am saying is that it is just another copy. Doesn't matter to me HOW I got it. Downloading it is exactly the same as copying it from the CD ... except I am at work and the CD is at home. The end result is the same.

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:45 pm

I confess that I am madly in love with Life itself... mmmmmmmmm
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:51 pm

stuart wrote:
so, what I see you saying here is that because you think the record companies were nasty and had no foresight you feel justified in taking money out of recording artists pockets. What the fuck does computer geek animosity have to do with theft?

it's a business. Let's say you go out and have a nice dinner. While taking a trip to a restroom you pass by a window and notice the owner of the place getting in to his $180,000 sports car. Do you now feel justified doing a dine and dodge, stiffing all the service staff in the process, because you feel the proprieter has too much money?
I confess I have a little extra time to answer these questions and to those that feel insecure about file sharing. This company knows how to do buisness the right way:

http://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=page&page_id=7
traxsource wrote:WATERMARKING: Files purchased from Traxsource.com will be digitally watermarked using the latest digital technology. An encrypted reference to the purchaser is permanently embedded into the file. It cannot be seen or heard, nor can it be removed.

File sharing is illegal. Traxsource.com will take every action allowed by law and otherwise to enforce the rights of the Labels whose music is provided.

Be aware. The reference to your information embedded into the files can ONLY be read through our software and requires a Traxsource private encryption key. Additionally, no names or credit card information will be stored in the file itself, only a reference to your customer number which is linked to your information internally at Traxsource corporate offices.

DOWNLOADS: For your convenience, purchased files will be available for you to download on your "downloads page" for 48 hours from date and time of purchase. After that that time, the links will expire.

The programmes are happy, the artist is happy, the lable is happy, the customer is happy. everybody is happy. See, that's not too hard and everyone makes a profit.

Simple. :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Donita

Post by Donita » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:29 pm

I confess that I am kind of bummed that I only have 45 minutes to read eplaya today!!
I confess my boss doesn't like my purple hair much and has asked me to do something about it.
I confess I'm not doing anything about it.
I confess that my piercing-apprentice-daughter has asked me to come to the shop after work, 'cuz she needs "practice" piercing.
I confess I am a bit scared, but I'm gonna do it anyway. Woo-hoo!
I confess my boss is probably not going to be too happy about a pierced nose, but I don't care.
I confess I am curious about chocolate covered bacon.

bullD

Post by bullD » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:31 pm

geekster wrote:Nope, I am just saying that getting another copy via downloading or making a cassette or burning it onto CD is all the same thing to me. I could see it as stealing if I never paid for it at all. Getting another copy is just getting another copy. I dont see the METHOD of obtaining it as any different.

If you think that is wrong, then what you should do is disable every single copy of any music you have except one. Buy a CD and save it to your computer ... better disable the original CD somehow until you delete the copy off your computer, right?

All I am saying is that it is just another copy. Doesn't matter to me HOW I got it. Downloading it is exactly the same as copying it from the CD ... except I am at work and the CD is at home. The end result is the same.
Making copies for yourself is all fine and well.

Downloading music, for free, from the internet, is not.

30 years ago, you buy a vynil copie of Led Zep's houses of the holy, or whatever, and then honnybunny spills acid on it. It's ruined. What did ya do, go get another copy at the store, using money. What's changed? Technology, and it has given people a vehicle to take what they want when they want. A fucked up entitlement nightmare. Do people not know right from wrong anymore?

I can hear it now from some random bloke who may have an idea about right and wrong: "until the artists/record companies create a failsafe method of retailing, one without the possibility of people downloading music for free and burning and sharing or even worse selling what was stolen in the first place,,, then fuck em, I do what I want without regard."

Sends shivers of disgust down my spine.

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:15 pm

The music I buy these days tends to be individual cuts from Napster or CDs from Amazon. What I download tend to be custom mixes that you can't buy, stuff that is REALLY hard to find, or something I already own but don't have handy.

I remember hunting all over the place for Dan Hicks' "How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away" a couple of years ago, couldn't find it so I downloaded it. It's available all over the place now so if wanted it I would buy it. That downloaded track has been long since deleted. I just wanted to play that song a few times get a message to a co-worker that kept lurking in my office. Every time he came in, I put that song on. After about 15 times he got the hint and I didn't need the song anymore.

stuart

Post by stuart » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:15 pm

Making copies for yourself is all fine and well.
and perfectly legal

I also condone downloading stuff that is just plain not commercially available. What else can you do?

Still, every piece that you have, that is not paid for either presently or at some earlier date, and is commecrially available, is theft.
call me baby

tisha2

Post by tisha2 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:24 pm

i confess i have a new appreciation for how hot eplaya guys are.

you guys are so hot.

with yer big brains, and opinions, and communication skillz and love and shit...

damn.
ERP ~ Emergency Resource Procurement
"if i can't find it, yer f***ed"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ERP-Emergency-Resource-Procurement/257100377734118

how we roll:
https://www.facebook.com/TheThugboat

Sandwichman
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Sandwichman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:43 pm

geekster wrote:The music I buy these days tends to be individual cuts from Napster or CDs from Amazon. What I download tend to be custom mixes that you can't buy, stuff that is REALLY hard to find, or something I already own but don't have handy.

I remember hunting all over the place for Dan Hicks' "How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away" a couple of years ago, couldn't find it so I downloaded it. It's available all over the place now so if wanted it I would buy it. That downloaded track has been long since deleted. I just wanted to play that song a few times get a message to a co-worker that kept lurking in my office. Every time he came in, I put that song on. After about 15 times he got the hint and I didn't need the song anymore.
Now what if I gave you a source to buy these hard to find tracks? I currently use Gemm.com to find all kinds of rare tunes and I find nearly everything I look for on there. It is one of the best hard to find sites out there. If you are looking for dance music you can check discogs and search personal collections. Everything needed is out there to be had but it is the effort involved that deters people (I am not directing that at you). Djs do this daily and it is what makes a good dj good.

Viva La Cratediggers!

Jason
oonsa oonsa for your feets [url=http://www.djjasonphilips.com/mixes/mixes_files/La_musica_que_no_tacara_usted_quiere_que_tio_corte.mp3]click here[/url]

bullD

Post by bullD » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:32 pm

tisha2 wrote:i confess i have a new appreciation for how hot eplaya guys are.

you guys are so hot.

with yer big brains, and opinions, and communication skillz and love and shit...

damn.
ehhh, yeah,,, so as I was saying...

he he he

I've got a little heat for ya.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:29 pm

you guys are so hot.

damn.
don't worry, I didn't forget your "birthday" you
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:49 am

cowboyangel wrote:

you guys are so hot.

damn.
don't worry, I didn't forget your "birthday" you
i confess CBA, i don't think she was referring to you or me.

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:11 pm

I confess that I've never posted nekkid to eplaya.
I confess that this makes me sad.

I confess that it might have a lot to do with where I do my posting.
surlier than thou

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:14 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:I confess that I've never posted nekkid to eplaya.

I confess that the thought of Rian posting nekkid from work troubles me and excites me at the same time...
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

CoworkerLurker

Post by CoworkerLurker » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:47 pm

samtzu wrote:
Rian Jackson wrote:I confess that I've never posted nekkid to eplaya.

I confess that the thought of Rian posting nekkid from work troubles me and excites me at the same time...
Seconded.

Damn you all! I have to work here!

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:52 pm

I confess that you people thinking about me posting nekkid from work troubles me, at least.

As far as excitement, i guess it depends on who's doing the picturing.
surlier than thou

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:53 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:I confess that you people thinking about me posting nekkid from work troubles me, at least.

Good point...

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:53 pm

Sorry, i get a bit choosy sometimes.
surlier than thou

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:54 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:I confess that you people thinking about me posting nekkid from work troubles me, at least.

Who would you like picturing you dear?
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:56 pm

Well, not me, I guess....

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:00 pm

Wouldn't you all like to know.

It's a good thing i don't have the power to force such a thing. Because i'd be too tempted to make my arab friends do it and scar them for life.

Muhahahaha.....
surlier than thou

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:08 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:I confess that it might have a lot to do with where I do my posting.
I confess to wishing that RJ had a job where such behavior/attire was possible.

...What?

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:18 pm

ThePikey wrote:
Rian Jackson wrote:I confess that it might have a lot to do with where I do my posting.

...What?
I confess this makes me wonder if this is altruism speaking...

or something else?
surlier than thou

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:19 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:
ThePikey wrote:

...What?
I confess this makes me wonder if this is altruism speaking...

or something else?
Altruism. We all wish you had a better job.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:23 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:I confess this makes me wonder if this is altruism speaking...
I confess to being somewhat less than a complete paragon of virtue.

(But in my defense, I never claimed to be such.)

(At least, I never expected any such claims to be taken seriously. For whatever that's worth.)

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:24 pm

ThePikey wrote:
Rian Jackson wrote:I confess this makes me wonder if this is altruism speaking...
I confess to being somewhat less than a complete paragon of virtue.

(But in my defense, I never claimed to be such.)

(At least, I never expected any such claims to be taken seriously. For whatever that's worth.)
That's it. We don't allow anyone who is ever less than completely honest on the eplaya. . .
The Lady with a Lamprey

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:That's it. We don't allow anyone who is ever less than completely honest on the eplaya. . .
*pouts*

*sniffles*

*quietly gathers up belongings, wraps them up in a bandanna on the end of a stick, leaves the eplaya*

*glances back on last time...*

Return to “Open Discussion”