OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

All things outside of Burning Man.
Post Reply
User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10321
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:PHASE TWO BEGINS NOV 5th

that is the day thousands perhaps tens of thousands, MAYBE hundreds of thousands of patriotic Americans are going to remove their money from the "Big Banks" and put them into small, local credit unions.

i dont use a bank, havent in years, but if i did, this would be a great way to show support in a very simple, meaningful direct action.

please tell a friend, and hopefully they'll tell a friend too.

together we can send a HELLUVA message to the banks....fuck off, WE DONT NEED YOU, YOU NEED US, MOTHERFUCKERS.
I do not use a bank..

At the VA hospital Chase Banks ATM charges $6.00 for a withdraw..
That is there fuck you signal to the disabled..

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by can't sit still » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:49 pm

The fractional -reserve banking system allows a bank to lend out 10 times their deposits. Should you remove your deposits, this has a 10X negative multiplier on their reserves. For every $ 100 you withdraw, they have to "find" $ 1000 of capital to comply with FED requirements. Some banks are leveraged 50--1 and have an even bigger problem. Since the banks don't pay much attention to capital requirements, they have ignored them. In truth, their loan practices end up with WAY more than 10--1 leverage. It averages 80---1.... technically. Moving your capital to a small bank makes the small bank much harder to kill. A good ideas all around.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Sola Gangsta
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Sola Gangsta » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:51 pm

I think they should surround the Federal Reserve building in DC as well.
1II1I11I

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14710
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Elderberry » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Yup and they were ORDERED to leave the park by this morning so that the park "could be cleaned". This morning came, they refused to leave, and the mayor and the company that owner the park caved. They are still there.

I heard one of their spokes persons on the Dylan Radigan show this afternoon and he asked her why they don't have a more clear and specific set of demands. To which she replied something to the effect of "Hey, we've only been at this 30 days. Congress has been doing this for 200 plus years and they still don't have a plan either. Give us a few more days!" This gal was quite articulate.

Oh, and interestingly, as the camera was panning, you saw protestors cleaning the trash cans, sweeping the park, and doing general cleaning. Quite an orderly protest.
Ugly Dougly wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I'm wondering if Occupy Wallstreet might not end up also occupying some public space near City Hall.

That's what I'd do, and as I'm not smarter than the aggregate of the people in Liberty Park, I can't be the only one that's occurred to.
They have been occupying a corporate park, not a public park. I think it might be the point.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 19094
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:13 pm

DE-COMMODIFY WALL STREET!!!

it's just paper,
really,
seriously,

it's just fucking paper...
Frida Be You & Me

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by can't sit still » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:44 pm

The Daily Bell has a long article claiming that the OWS movement is a huge diversion.
http://www.thedailybell.com/3084/Blame- ... al-Banking
They do have some good arguments that GOV is not the root cause. They make good cause to claim that central banking is the root problem.
What is also interesting is that there is a protest planned in the London financial District.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oc ... k-exchange
If one wanted to attack the belly-of-the-beast, there is no better place than the financial district of London.
It would be of value for the protesters to discern if Central Bankers were more deserving of pressure than Wall Street.
They mustn't dissipate their energies on straw-men.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5871
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by BBadger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:01 pm

I'm not too convinced that people without much savings in the first place withdrawing what they have and putting it in credit unions (or under their bed, or under the sleeping bag in the tent on Wall Street) is going to make a real difference. Might as well try it though. It's not like it's earning any interest in those accounts anyway. I end up buying things because I figure that inflation will eat away at the money faster than some of the things I could buy with it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10321
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm

BBadger wrote:I'm not too convinced that people without much savings in the first place withdrawing what they have and putting it in credit unions (or under their bed, or under the sleeping bag in the tent on Wall Street) is going to make a real difference. Might as well try it though. It's not like it's earning any interest in those accounts anyway. I end up buying things because I figure that inflation will eat away at the money faster than some of the things I could buy with it.
I don't know,, Say 100 000 000 people take 500 1000 5000 bucks out..

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5871
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by BBadger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:16 pm

unjonharley wrote:I don't know,, Say 100 000 000 people take 500 1000 5000 bucks out..
Well, if you could get that many people to agree to do anything you'd probably not need to resort to such measures.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by can't sit still » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:16 pm

This is an EXCELLENT article about the soul of New York;
http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/ ... atrick.net
Reportedly, New York is # one in the country when it comes to income-distribution inequality.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
junglesmacks
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Location: Your mom's tent

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by junglesmacks » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Image
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

User avatar
Sola Gangsta
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Sola Gangsta » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:03 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Image
How are you going to fit everyone else into the 1%? Choice you say? Well that's already happened. What do you have after choice? Consequence. While that's correct about some of the traits of the 99%, behind that sign lies one of the "cows" who refuses to see the complicity of the 1% in setting up the situation where you have to be a 1% just to have a meager survival.
1II1I11I

User avatar
junglesmacks
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Location: Your mom's tent

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by junglesmacks » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:21 pm

It's all just food for thought.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14710
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:38 pm

junglesmacks wrote:It's all just food for thought.
Hmmm...if he's so proud of his accomplishment, why is he hiding behind that sign? Sort of reminds me of listing to Mr. Pizza man Cain. Oh if it were that easy. Nothing like blaming the victims.
Last edited by Elderberry on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
cowboyangel
Posts: 6987
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 pm

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Sola Gangsta wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Image
How are you going to fit everyone else into the 1%? Choice you say? Well that's already happened. What do you have after choice? Consequence. While that's correct about some of the traits of the 99%, behind that sign lies one of the "cows" who refuses to see the complicity of the 1% in setting up the situation where you have to be a 1% just to have a meager survival.
then be a happy troglodyte!
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29387
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:03 pm

I would think that kid would be applauded.....doin it on his own.

yeah, lets have the gov. give us everything, provide all things..........cause, as long as somebody else is paying for it, it's "free"..........

and, anyone more successful than another, must be so because they cheated, or had unfair advantage.......

Jeeze...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14710
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Read some of the commentary on that sign here http://www.google.com/search?q=I+am+a+c ... ent=safari that person would be applauded if his story were even plausible in this day and age. And if this were true, why would he have hidden his face! This is just a plant to undermine the Occupy movement. None of whom is asking for any free lunch.
ygmir wrote:I would think that kid would be applauded.....doin it on his own.

yeah, lets have the gov. give us everything, provide all things..........cause, as long as somebody else is paying for it, it's "free"..........

and, anyone more successful than another, must be so because they cheated, or had unfair advantage.......

Jeeze...........
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29387
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:31 pm

jkisha wrote:Read some of the commentary on that sign here http://www.google.com/search?q=I+am+a+c ... ent=safari that person would be applauded if his story were even plausible in this day and age. And if this were true, why would he have hidden his face! This is just a plant to undermine the Occupy movement. None of whom is asking for any free lunch.
ygmir wrote:I would think that kid would be applauded.....doin it on his own.

yeah, lets have the gov. give us everything, provide all things..........cause, as long as somebody else is paying for it, it's "free"..........

and, anyone more successful than another, must be so because they cheated, or had unfair advantage.......

Jeeze...........
I made no reference to OWS. I agree with them. mostly my rant was aimed at the other two respondents. and, I don't see it as impossible.
Also, of all things to discredit it on, their face in the photo?

yeah, because all signs we see, held aloft, clearly show the face of the holder? I can see it as theatrical, just hands and all......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14710
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:42 pm

ygmir wrote: Also, of all things to discredit it on, their face in the photo?

yeah, because all signs we see, held aloft, clearly show the face of the holder? I can see it as theatrical, just hands and all......
That picture is a fraud; paid for by someone trying to discredit the Occupy Wall Stret movement. I'd bet your next years burning man ticket price on it.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29387
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:52 pm

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote: Also, of all things to discredit it on, their face in the photo?

yeah, because all signs we see, held aloft, clearly show the face of the holder? I can see it as theatrical, just hands and all......
That picture is a fraud; paid for by someone trying to discredit the Occupy Wall Stret movement. I'd bet your next years burning man ticket price on it.
I don't see how it would discredit the OWS movement, though.
apples and oranges, IMHO.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Sola Gangsta
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Sola Gangsta » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:04 pm

I agree with J/K. A real 1%er would be proud to show their face unless they weren't also running scared.

No one should have to work their ass off in the corporate world just to "survive" because real survival in the wild is not that hard. There's no sense in that working your ass off because I've done it for a more than a generation and found out that being homeless living out in the wild is far easier and happier than being on the grid and in the grind. People set up their office cubicles because that is what they were taught growing up... pay attention in school, get good grades, go to college, pay your debts, get married and have children (well that may be different for today's generation - but it was true when I was growing up). Most people have never even considered how to survive if the infrastructure that was supporting them collapsed. Just look at what Katrina did and how those people responded. They were unprepared.

Seriously, if one knows the skills of living in the wild, it only takes an hour or so to do the things in nature that it would take you 8 hours every day to stay in survival in a concrete jungle. The problem is that people are too status oriented and connected socially and pride generating hubris becomes their downfall in not recognizing the reality of their existence. If one values the things that defaultia produces, then you can't be completely free from the system. To the extent that we have to sacrifice this for involvement with the human race, one is tied into the system. Everyone must find their own balance, but at this point, many people are not even conscious of the choices.

One can think of the earth as a giant farm where the politicians are the farmers and the citizens of the state are the livestock to be used and controlled for profit. That is why there is such a gap in wealth because the sheeple have not tried to assert their status as farmers in the same eco-system.
1II1I11I

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:05 pm

It certainly plays into the myth that there's a "level playing field" and the other myth about the occupy wall street, that it's just a bunch of lazy hippies, rather than a complicated movement with multiple causes that seeks to correct real injustice.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
cowboyangel
Posts: 6987
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 pm

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:05 pm

ygmir wrote:I would think that kid would be applauded.....doin it on his own.

yeah, lets have the gov. give us everything, provide all things..........cause, as long as somebody else is paying for it, it's "free"..........

and, anyone more successful than another, must be so because they cheated, or had unfair advantage.......

Jeeze...........
gov gives corporate power everything and great tax breaks and great bailouts and yes ymgir...all because they deserved it!!!
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29387
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:20 pm

cowboyangel wrote:
ygmir wrote:I would think that kid would be applauded.....doin it on his own.

yeah, lets have the gov. give us everything, provide all things..........cause, as long as somebody else is paying for it, it's "free"..........

and, anyone more successful than another, must be so because they cheated, or had unfair advantage.......

Jeeze...........
gov gives corporate power everything and great tax breaks and great bailouts and yes ymgir...all because they deserved it!!!
see, we don't disagree on that, CA.....I'm just saying if a kid, did what is on that sign (nodding to JK, in case the sign isn't real), I just think it should be applauded.

I totally understand, and disagree with, how business has bought government.
And agree, the playing field, should be level.......
But also think, we should sink or swim, by our own hand, and not using gov. as a crutch.
"don't help me, just don't hinder me........and, stay the Foog out of my way".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Sola Gangsta
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Sola Gangsta » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:23 pm

I can remember back in 1970 teachers in class were getting worried that technology would replace workers and everyone would be unemployed. Machines can be owned and apparently so can people without their even being aware of it. Maybe the 1% is thinking of downsizing the "farm" because farm maintenance is getting troublesome. Machines may be reaching the point to where they are cheaper than people.

[youtube][/youtube]
1II1I11I

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29387
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Sola Gangsta wrote:I agree with J/K. A real 1%er would be proud to show their face unless they weren't also running scared.

No one should have to work their ass off in the corporate world just to "survive" because real survival in the wild is not that hard.

I'd beg to differ


There's no sense in that working your ass off because I've done it for a more than a generation and found out that being homeless living out in the wild is far easier and happier than being on the grid and in the grind. People set up their office cubicles because that is what they were taught growing up... pay attention in school, get good grades, go to college, pay your debts, get married and have children (well that may be different for today's generation - but it was true when I was growing up). Most people have never even considered how to survive if the infrastructure that was supporting them collapsed. Just look at what Katrina did and how those people responded. They were unprepared.

yes, unprepared, and so used to gov. taking care of things, they felt no need.


Seriously, if one knows the skills of living in the wild, it only takes an hour or so to do the things in nature that it would take you 8 hours every day to stay in survival in a concrete jungle.

I think you're way off base here......no way, could you make it in "the wild" for any length of time (through seasons) on an hour a day.
sure, if you get and use certain niceties of civilization, but, if you're there, on your own (since you've reject all things of society and technology), one hour will not do it, IMHO..........not even close.



The problem is that people are too status oriented and connected socially and pride generating hubris becomes their downfall in not recognizing the reality of their existence. If one values the things that defaultia produces, then you can't be completely free from the system. To the extent that we have to sacrifice this for involvement with the human race, one is tied into the system. Everyone must find their own balance, but at this point, many people are not even conscious of the choices.

Is that a guitar in your avatar? Are you posting from a computer? are those clothes, made somewhere and not hand woven from chewed hemp or leather you killed and skinned?
Just sayin.......


One can think of the earth as a giant farm where the politicians are the farmers and the citizens of the state are the livestock to be used and controlled for profit. That is why there is such a gap in wealth because the sheeple have not tried to assert their status as farmers in the same eco-system.

I think we pretty much agree here. I'd submit, though, that human nature, and the human condition, will always end up with a society of haves and have-nots. As cynical as it may seem, greed is a natural thing in humans, and to satisfy that, we become competitive, and go to extremes to "win".

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Sola Gangsta
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by Sola Gangsta » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:05 pm

ygmir wrote:Is that a guitar in your avatar? Are you posting from a computer? are those clothes, made somewhere and not hand woven from chewed hemp or leather you killed and skinned? Just sayin.......
As I have said above, I have chosen a balance somewhere in between, not on the extreme of being somewhere like the Boreal Forest. I have a laptop and solar panel attached to my truck with an inverter and also run a business that way and this board is about the only social interaction I see sometimes for weeks. But I have also eaten scorpions, grasshoppers, prickly pear cactus, seeds from barrel cactus, snakes, etc... If you know what you are doing, it is not that difficult and having done it in the past at times for weeks at a time I have gotten used to it to where being in this situation seems like a luxury...

I was in a serious survival situation such in 1981 where our group was trapped at Fulford Cave due to a snowstorm and we were stuck for about 5-6 days. My GF at the time was suffering from hypothermia and we were trying to get enough wood under the show to keep a fire going in the inlet above the cave. That was probably my hardest experience in the wild because we were totally unprepared and my 6 pack of Heineken had frozen solid. We only brought food enough for about 3 days and heated up water to drink from the snow. But if you go into the situation prepared and set up, not so difficult. You just have to know what you are doing.
1II1I11I

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5871
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by BBadger » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:31 pm

jkisha wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:It's all just food for thought.
Hmmm...if he's so proud of his accomplishment, why is he hiding behind that sign? Sort of reminds me of listing to Mr. Pizza man Cain. Oh if it were that easy. Nothing like blaming the victims.
You're entirely missing the point and concentrating on (or trying to deflect attention to) something entirely inconsequential to the message being delivered.
jkisha wrote:Read some of the commentary on that sign here http://www.google.com/search?q=I+am+a+c ... ent=safari that person would be applauded if his story were even plausible in this day and age.
Oh cut the shit. Plausible? Of course it is. It nearly mirrors my own situation (not quite the 3.8 GPA unfortunately). I won't elaborate on it because I don't need to. Nor do I need to "show my face" as it were because it has no purpose in this argument (nor the author of the photo). All I'll say is that I've paid my way through college with scholarships, TAing, and government student loans (which I am thankful for), just as my parents did to move our family from near poverty level through two recessions to their current level of relative comfort. I have zero sympathy for chumps who took out student loans and are indebted thinking that unemployable fluff degrees in something like library science or anthropology were worthy of a such a risk, even in good times. I just hope that there is no debt forgiveness, lest the loan programs end and any future children not be able to take advantage of such loans in a responsible manner.

So don't pretend that the 99% are some single group that associates itself with the OWS people.
And if this were true, why would he have hidden his face!
Because it's not the point of the image. Hell, some lunatic might try to pull some shit with him/her too. Who knows with that group?
This is just a plant to undermine the Occupy movement.
So dissent is not tolerated huh? Let this movement fail if so. I will not succumb to the will of such a mob.
None of whom is asking for any free lunch.
Riiight.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:00 am

BBadger wrote: I have zero sympathy for chumps who took out student loans and are indebted
When did you go to collage?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29387
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:09 am

Sola Gangsta wrote:
ygmir wrote:Is that a guitar in your avatar? Are you posting from a computer? are those clothes, made somewhere and not hand woven from chewed hemp or leather you killed and skinned? Just sayin.......
As I have said above, I have chosen a balance somewhere in between, not on the extreme of being somewhere like the Boreal Forest. I have a laptop and solar panel attached to my truck with an inverter and also run a business that way and this board is about the only social interaction I see sometimes for weeks. But I have also eaten scorpions, grasshoppers, prickly pear cactus, seeds from barrel cactus, snakes, etc... If you know what you are doing, it is not that difficult and having done it in the past at times for weeks at a time I have gotten used to it to where being in this situation seems like a luxury...

I was in a serious survival situation such in 1981 where our group was trapped at Fulford Cave due to a snowstorm and we were stuck for about 5-6 days. My GF at the time was suffering from hypothermia and we were trying to get enough wood under the show to keep a fire going in the inlet above the cave. That was probably my hardest experience in the wild because we were totally unprepared and my 6 pack of Heineken had frozen solid. We only brought food enough for about 3 days and heated up water to drink from the snow. But if you go into the situation prepared and set up, not so difficult. You just have to know what you are doing.
ergo my point:

since the lines for "survival, wilderness, checking out, not participating , etc." are obviously subjective, and relative to you and your set and level of comfort, how, do you judge and name call others, doing what they do, "to get by"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Post Reply

Return to “Open Discussion”