Rocketry on the Playa

All things outside of Burning Man.
Asherbeez
Burning Since: 2010

Rocketry on the Playa

Post by Asherbeez » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:57 am

I came across this video today of a group that put a "homemade" rocket into space. It was launched from our very own black rock and flew 121,000' into the sky. The video is a bit long but the views of the BR are pretty amazing!

[youtube][/youtube]

Here's the website for the project if you'd like to browse some stills and read a bit more about it. Qu8k Rocket
Dancing is a state of mind and may not even involve movement at all.
~Simon of the Playa

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Re: Rocketry on the Playa

Post by trilobyte » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:15 am

The problem, as I see it, is one of controlling where it lands. Unless you could guarantee it would land within the city's perimeter and that you could have a 'recovery team' at that location, it's a giant MOOP fail.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:21 am

I believe that was done after burn week iirc.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:33 am

Ah, my mistake, totally skimmed through and read it wrong. Yeah, outside of the event people get up to some interesting stuff out there (and not just 4th of JuPlaya). ThrustSSC (wiki link) broke the land speed record out there in 1997, and there's been some civilian space project using the site over the years as well. And of course, camp Apokiliptika's U-Me (the Unfortunate Monkey Experience) which landed on the playa back in 2007. :)

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Fricking AWESOME.

I would kill to see that thing go up at night. I've been spoiled living close enough for the last few years to Cape Canaveral and seeing shuttle launches in person. Nothing short of mindblowingly spectacular.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Asherbeez
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Asherbeez » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:47 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Fricking AWESOME.

I would kill to see that thing go up at night. I've been spoiled living close enough for the last few years to Cape Canaveral and seeing shuttle launches in person. Nothing short of mindblowingly spectacular.
Right!? Just watching the take off was pretty amazing but then having the on on board cams as well, with sound no less! The views were awe inspiring, but really got me smiling was the amazing silence as the rocket reached the peak of trajectory and silently hung, then gently adjusted as the light "ping" of the cap popping and releasing the recovery chute. Just a really cool voyeuristic experience, I can only imagine the adrenaline of those on the ground watching their hard work rocket (pardon the pun) to life!
Dancing is a state of mind and may not even involve movement at all.
~Simon of the Playa

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:10 pm

trilobyte wrote:The problem, as I see it, is one of controlling where it lands. Unless you could guarantee it would land within the city's perimeter and that you could have a 'recovery team' at that location, it's a giant MOOP fail.
Uh, in model rocketry, the "recovery team" is normally a "chase team", and no, you don't leave your valuable rocket as MOOP.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:41 pm

There is a pic floating around of a Ford SUV with a small rocket imbeded in the roof and A-pillar out at B R desert.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

Return to “Open Discussion”