FREAKING out about this weekend

All things outside of Burning Man.
Roberto Dobbisano

Re: FREAKING out about this weekend

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:01 pm

well, on the upside, the world always needs strippers.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:08 pm

She is a strikingly beautiful girl with a lot going for her. She certainly seems to be very generous with her time for others in need. Those pageants can be nothing more than a dog and pony show, and it really cannot display all her wonderful attributes.
I vote your little sister a FIRST PLACE TROPHY!

H.G.Crosby

mmmmm, debutantes.

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:11 pm

[Edited] ...
Frida Be You & Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Not helpful, Roberto.

I don't know about "rigged" but I'm guessing that there is a certain range of face, body, skin, experience, "personality" that the judges feel comfortable with and that they don't go outside that. I think that there is something inherently cruel about pageants, and that the bring out some pretty unattractive social and personal behavior. (I understand that the pageant industry would strongly disagree.) I'm sorry that everyone in your family worked so hard and it was not appreciated.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:15 pm

my apologies...

i'm feeling exceptionally misanthropic.

I Blame Jersey Shore. Season 4, episode 9.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:25 pm

Wow really Roberto? That is HORRIBLE to say about her! She is amazing! You could only DREAM to have a daughter like her. She is the most selfliss person I have met and im not saying that because she is my sister. That's just disgusting and cruel!

maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Another story:

My wife is a very good photographer. Good to the point of it being the thing I fell in love with before I ever met her.

A local gallery has an open competition every year and for as long as she has submitted imagery, she has had a minimum of 1 piece in, sometimes 2. Last year she won People's Choice. This year she submitted some of her best work, ever - and was not accepted.

It was a bit on the edge and it really stood on its own. She took it pretty good and told me they just didn't get what she was saying. I was pissed.

Then she got a phone call from the CURATOR apologizing for the Judges poor judgement.

Moral of the story - Judges are ALL working on their own agenda and their decisions have no basis in reality.

Your sister looked great.

So a panel of "Judges" didnt appreciate it.

Honestly, fuck them.

She is a winner in you and your family's eyes.

Have a little celebration for getting as far as she did and rocking YOU AND YOUR FAMILY'S SOCKS.

We had a boy up for Homecoming King - didn't make it. We had a party.

It is going to be what you make it.

As far as Roberto - meh - he was being a misanthropic asshat and though the words can cut to the bone, really didn't mean anything by it.

This is where that thick skin we have mentioned comes in.

Shrug it off, accept the imperfections, and I still believe that you can't find a better band of miscreants and malcontents.
MOOP Czar

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:35 pm

I do have thick skin I would like to think. But something just seems so wrong with they pick a bunch of varisty kids and cheerleaders not to mention actress and models. When I always thought the point was to have some one smart and did charity work. I know trump is a big charity guy (PS he owns the pageant). But you know what she did her best, should have won, and im bringing light to the situation. In fact I just shot off a email to Mr Trump and his daughter about tonight. I let him know all about her. Hell I even asked him if she could come do some of his charities or be suggested for some scholarships. That is the whole reason she wanted to do this was for those two reasons. So maybe there will be a silver lining in this after all I hope.

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Understood.

But you will never know what the real agenda was.

All we have to work with are assumptions of what others might be thinking at any given moment.

Good for you workin the positive angle on it.

Keep it up.

In all honesty though:

This isn't the guy I would trust to own a beauty pageant....
MOOP Czar

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:02 pm

I love my sister to death. She has overcome so much in her life. She just about died when she was one. If my mom would have not come and checked on her in the middle of the night she would not be here. She was not breathing and blue. Thank god for fast EMT's. Honestly I don't know where I would be if she was gone. I love this kid to fucking peaces. Not just in the sister way. As a person in general. This past month of prep and the pageant has brought us SO much closer together. She did not even want to hug my mom after the pageant. Cause she brings her down. ( my mother is a debby downer) she wanted to hug me. Even though she is much younger then me I look up to her and trust her with anything. She is such a cool young women. I wish I could bring her with for you all to meet her. You would love her. Heck when she went to change out of her gown after she comes back out will all her stuff makeup and hair still done wearing a pair of male's boxers with little blue pigs on them and a ballet shirt of a production she did. She just goes with it and is true to her self.

ps Here are the winners, they just posted it- One in pink is teen and the one in white is miss(uni cheerleader)

Here are the last 2 pics I have from today- I know you are prob sick of them. I promise no more.

Sorry A bit blurry my mother can't use a camera to save her life- Me and My Sister

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Meh - you did your job.

Based on the pix - she should have won.
MOOP Czar

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:45 pm

MOOP_Czar wrote:Based on the pix - she should have won.
Based on the charity work she should have won- judging people solely by looks degrades the person. TG, your sister apparently has a good set of values and your support, those values will carry her farther than most of those other beauty queens.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks Eric! I could not agree more!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:40 am

tattoogoddess wrote:Thanks Eric! I could not agree more!
You done good this weekend!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:35 am

Eric wrote:
MOOP_Czar wrote:Based on the pix - she should have won.
Based on the charity work she should have won- judging people solely by looks degrades the person. TG, your sister apparently has a good set of values and your support, those values will carry her farther than most of those other beauty queens.
truer words never spoken Eric one of the reasons i was so glad to actually meet you is that you have such a solid base in reality. Of course i also love your other side the one that know s how to have a party in style.

TG, your sister may have been the plastic 'barbie' the judeges consider to be this years ideal, but she is a truely gorgeous young woman and as Eric said she will go far further and probably be happier than the 'winners' with her solid morals and giving attitude, maybe when she is older she will come to BM and be warmly recieved by all of us as the winner in life she already seems to be
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:46 pm

I would suggest that any correspondence to Mr. Trump and his daughter be written, edited, then edited again, then re-edited, then given to someone else to proofread for spelling, grammer and just plain sanity check. I don't think it will help your sister's case if you go off half cocked and compulsive on Mr. Trump. Otherwise you (and she by default) get written off as nut jobs and not taken seriously by anyone.

Competitions are competitions. I'm sure that all the other girls moms and sisters feel exactly the same about their daughters/siblings as you do yours. I think my daugher is the brightest, most gifted, most beautiful girl in the world, and she was third runner up for Fair Queen. Beauty queens must face a fair amount of failure and rejection. As must their team members. If you put yourself out there in the competition arena, and put yourself out HERE in a public forum, you take your lumps. On the flipside of lumps, you grow. This is the Eplaya, we are really really good at helping you get your shit together for attendance of Burningman. Everything else you open yourself up to on here is fair game.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Savannah wrote:Beautiful girl! But smart & well-rounded, even better.

. . . Are you seeking feedback on the makeup/hair, or just wanting to get out your nervousness?
Yes, obese women with Asperger's sydrome are so sexy.

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Ya know... the whole start of this thread was that TG was freaking out about making her little sis look good.

I complment TG's work and I get quoted and misquoted as some type of reference to beauty being more than skin deep.

Excuse the fuck out of me for posting in the original context of what the thread was about. The quote started with:

You did your job. - referring to TG. SHE did a good job which was what she was freaking out about in the first place.

I then made a comment to support that singular statement.

TG did a good job at making her sister very attractive physically which was WHY SHE POSTED IN THE FIRST PLACE-

I am elated that her sister is also Ghandi.
MOOP Czar

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:19 pm

When did my sister get a penis? lol

I know what you ment and thank you for that. I did not take it out of context.

Well on a positive note she is doing good today. I talked to her about the Miss America Org. as it is coming up soon for the pre quals. She sounded interested as they look WAY more into what they have done as to looks like miss usa. They are a bit more wholesome. Plus the fee they have to raise all goe twords the childrens miracle network hospital. None goes in there pocket. We spent $800 just to enter her into miss iowa usa. yeah. Plus costs of dress,swimwear and hotel ect ect.
For the prelim to get into Iowa she has to do talent as well. She does pointe ballete and is quite good. I don't know if she is going to do it but it might be worth a shot sense this is more up her ally.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 am

donald trump is a fucking creepy teabagger with a tiny dick!! beauty pageants are creepy too! Like who the fuck decides who is "the most beautiful, the most perfect teen, blah, blah,blah" An ex NFL player as a judge? oooohh i might cream my jeans for a chance to be judged by him (insert sarcasm)!

I am sorry your sister didn't win because it does mean a lot to her and your family as well. She is young and it is a disapointment but she sounds very well rounded and I hope that eventually she will see that pageants really aren't all that compared to the bigger things in life. You tg did a good job so "chin up butter cup"
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Shpilkus

Post by Shpilkus » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:02 am

For the love of humanity, I am begging you not to let that girl enter that contest. :roll:
needles, sewing pins | shpilkes (shpil'∙kes) | שפּילקעס

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:20 am

Shpilkus wrote:For the love of humanity, I am begging you not to let that girl enter that contest. :roll:
Eh?

For what it's worth, a gal's self-esteem is a precarious thing at about that age. There's only one winner in one of those contests, and a bunch of broken-hearted girls. Guess she needs to know that's life.
But an over-18 stripper does have plenty of entertainment value, you'll have to admit.... :wink:

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:49 am

I'm proud of all our eplayans for their kindness to TG on this issue. To address the elephant in the room, I can't help insert here though that I find it really hard to give moral support regarding beauty pagents. IMHO, they do no real good in the world and do cause harm. If the argument is that the fees go to charity, then give $ to the charity and keep from promoting a false sense of "beauty" to all the girls in the world who are husky or have a birth defect, or a big nose. How can we possibly believe that the contestants are being judged on their philanthropy or intelligence when they are strutting around in swimsuits? I might believe it if they all wore big signs with their IQ and SAT scores on them. I would sure rather see my daughter win a soccer game or a science fair. As for going to pageants to win scholarships, they give a lot more scholarships for performance in school than they do for pageants. So if the basic idea is to get ahead in the world by being award-winning pretty, it's not so far off Simon's stripper comment.

TG, congratulations to you especially for supporting and promoting a kid you love - your efforts are never wasted there no matter what the outcome of any competition.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Beauty pageants are an unusual topic on a Burning Man message board (though I think it's nice that people are attempting to be as kind as they are in the Fuck! thread, which is also about our everyday lives, & not usually Burn-specific either). Instead of paying $800 to be judged, many Burners are much more interested in annually shelling out two or three times that amount for the privilege of not being judged.

I suppose youth and symmetry will always be compelling, because biology demands its due, but . . . playa beauty is definitely a bit different than default beauty. (I once saw a BRC pole-dancing competition won by a Kermit the Frog doll being puppeteered by a man and a woman. It was great.)

I envision a Miss Black Rock competition: Men, Women & the Undeclared . . . gowns for all . . . handmade by the contestant, of course (perhaps onsite before the competition with components provided) . . . and the talent competition could involve . . .

* setting up a sound shade structure (timed & graded) or perhaps a related design contest.
* mixing drinks (mandatory use of at least 3 of 10 components, ingredients unknown until show-time) . . . blind grading by judges.
* knowledge of the survival guide quiz panel
* talent round?
* moop sweep?
* bonus round: 1st aid on live "victims"

I don't know yet how it would be possible to grade the ability to chill the eff out during a day-long windstorm, but that would be cool, too.

NessaZee

Post by NessaZee » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:15 pm

^^^

now THAT'S a contest I'd be interested in!!
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:33 pm

Savannah wrote:

I envision a Miss Black Rock competition: Men, Women & the Undeclared . . . gowns for all . . . handmade by the contestant, of course (perhaps onsite before the competition with components provided) . . . and the talent competition could involve . . .
This actually takes place every year. A few years back, the winner got a guided tour of BRC on the top of my art car. The contest is exactly as you describe.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Holy Crap. There is--as they say--"nothing new under the sun". :lol:

Not that I mind. I would love to have seen the pageant.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:48 pm

My guess Savannah is that you would have won.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:51 pm

I'll tell ya why this kid didn't win...
She is lacking....

Lacking what, you say?

FEATHER BOAS!!!!

FBFTW!!!!!!
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Return to “Open Discussion”