An agnostic burner’s point of view

All things outside of Burning Man.
TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

An agnostic burner’s point of view

Post by TomServo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:17 pm

I’m an agnostic. I believe It is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of a god. And that the world’s attempts to do so, throughout history, have resulted in war, hatred and misunderstandings. I am not a “fence sitter.” Agnosticism is not a religion. I’ve analyzed both sides of the debate, and came to the conclusion that it’s a futile exercise, trying to justify or explain a position you really know nothing about.

This is not to say, that I do not believe in spirituality. That, I can feel. Or, at least have the illusion of feeling. It would be nice to know for certain, that a loving god exists. That he or she is controlling the universe, and is responsible for all the fucked up shit that happens. but faith or denial is all most people have to go on, And I don’t like either word. I have had a spiritual awakening, I think…and it was at Burning man.

My first year at burning man, I sat on top of the hay bales, below the man. It may have been dehydration, or it may have just been the beer…but, I had an overwhelming sense of comfort and purpose. That something larger than myself was watching over me…probably because a 50 foot wooden man was standing over me. I’ve often felt, since then, that the collective conscious of black rock city is that larger force.

So, I’ll end this little speech with an agnostic prayer…

Whoever…you know who I’m talking about, if you do exist. Please don’t spill the beans. Keep us guessing, in our minds…but don’t allow us to be obsessed with it. Because there’s a lot of cool shit in life, for us to discover… and…no offense, you are just a distraction.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: An agnostic burner’s point of view

Post by Bob » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:05 am

Hello, my name is Bob, and I'm an atheist. The don't-give-a-fuck-about-the-question-of-God kind of atheist. I do find religion amusing enough to be a spectator, but not a participant. I can tolerate most of Burning Man because it's *ritual*, as opposed to spirituality. Ritual, as in repetitive behavior characteristic of obsessive–compulsive disorder -- not ritual in support of the spiritual. So can we get rid of the fucking Temple already? I find it deeply offensive to my American sensibilities that anything resembling a place of religious worship in form, fact, or implication is tolerated, much less facilitated on the order of hundreds of thousands of dollars on the American public's land year after year.

Merry Christmas, assholes!
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:20 am

That the inscrutable awesomeness of everything is self evident, is enough to cause wonder to expand exponentially giving rise to the feeling that there is much more than can be comprehended.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:30 am

I am worse than an atheist, I am an anti-theist, and I will do my best to make a mockery of any religious belief that it tossed into my path of destruction.
Woe is the fate of any Mormons riding their bikes if they come a knocking on my door(again)
This doesn't mean I am a Satanist(except from a Baptist's viewpoint...by default it's automatic!) as I find any moron that worships Satan to be equally if not more retarded than Christians in their level of consumption of Propaganda, Ethos, and Mythos.

Go fuck yourself yuletide log worshipers.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:50 am

I'll alert the media.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:51 am

i worship Bob and Connie. I will be Shaved.

all the rest of you are fucked.
Frida Be You & Me

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:59 am

God help the Atheists and the Agnostics. :D

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:26 am

Shambala wrote:God help the Atheists and the Agnostics. :D
BWAHAHAHA....Now that made me laugh! HAHA....Thanks Shambala :lol: :lol:
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:38 am

Pretty much agree with Bob and OED on this.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:53 am

hehe.. this pretty much sums it up for me.

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:59 am

i am in complete agreement with cowboy

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:28 am

littleflower wrote:i am in complete agreement with cowboy

*thump*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:43 am

I am neither religious, atheist, or agnostic. I need a new category.

As long as people stick to their own lives and quit imposing their fucking ideas on others, I am good. If someone finds peace and happiness by believing in existence of god or not, by all means. Whatever it takes to survive this lifetime.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:44 am

You're all going to burn in heck.

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:51 am

AntiM wrote:You're all going to burn in heck.
Naah, we are just going to go to helven

Edited: Size of the pic
Last edited by wh..sh on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Bob

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:53 am

wh..sh wrote:I am neither religious, atheist, or agnostic. I need a new category.

As long as people stick to their own lives and quit imposing their fucking ideas on others, I am good. If someone finds peace and happiness by believing in existence of god or not, by all means. Whatever it takes to survive this lifetime.
Atheism in the broadest sense simply means absence of religious belief in deities as an influence in your life. Which makes those dang diddly agnostics look just a little bit pregnant.

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:01 am

Bob wrote:
wh..sh wrote:I am neither religious, atheist, or agnostic. I need a new category.

Atheism in the broadest sense simply means absence of religious belief in deities as an influence in your life. Which makes those dang diddly agnostics look just a little bit pregnant.
Acutally, the final stage in hinduism is to understand that there is no god except within ourselves. There are many roads paved for people to get to the final stage. Very few make it. But I wonder... sometimes agnostic people come across as an angry bunch and just as much intolerant as the religious ones. I see no difference, except there are both angry about different things.

-Bob

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:22 am

That has to be the most painful post ever

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:25 am

jkisha wrote:Pretty much agree with Bob and OED on this.
Yup and a few other points that have been tossed around.
more of a head nodder than in yer face guy, until you put your foot in your mouth. Then I'll be the 1st one to point it out..... been doing a lot of pointing lately.
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:52 am

]]
I accept no titles for my beliefs.. I try to deal in logic in this matter..

I refuse to believe in the raving of one paranoid schizophrenic that heard voices 4000 years ago.. Or a adulterous and his/her bastard murderous son.. All that heard voices.. Followed by a cop killer.. That hid out on the desert for forty years Eating desert weeds and bug shit.. Claiming he was hearing voices.. Flim flaming his outlaw crew in to believing the voices told him to write the law in stone.. Then leading then in a war to take other peoples land.. The land that the first nut jods voices claim as his.. From that point on there has been war after war and mass murder the world over in the belief of these paranoid schizophrenic voices..

That could be a great play or movie, damn
Last edited by unjonharley on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 am

That's what I got out of the bible.

On an on about the promised land for years and years.

Then they get there and are told "There is the promised land! All you gotta do is kill all those inconsiderate motherfuckrs that have been living on it for centuries!"

What a plot twist. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:08 am

Fetishizing any kind of scary ghosts inhabiting yourself or the world around you does indeed count as theism. The usual suspects -- hippies beaten about the head with any flavor of fundamentalism through their childhoods. Spirituality runs in to fill the gaping void in their lives after high school teaches them "God" is dead. There was no God to begin with.

Oh, and fuck the Temple.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:35 am

[quote="littleflower"]i am in complete agreement with cowboy[/quote]

You coulda placed some markee lights around that one sweetie.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:37 am

Spoken like a Texan! Don't mess with Texas...I say that as a compliment. I love Texas...not the stupid part of it but the rugged, brave, crazy creative part of it.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:45 am

wh..sh wrote:
Bob wrote:

Acutally, the final stage in hinduism is to understand that there is no god except within ourselves. There are many roads paved for people to get to the final stage. Very few make it. But I wonder... sometimes agnostic people come across as an angry bunch and just as much intolerant as the religious ones. I see no difference, except there are both angry about different things.
Cheap comic book Hinduism says that but not real Vedantins like Nisargadata. If there is real non-dualism then everything is a manifestation of singularity, God, ultimate consciousness or whatever. Everything is sacred and equally important, even death, suffering, misery and those who cause it..... now when it comes to republicans, that's the good part...the death part I mean. ( yeah it's like Holmes and Moriarity going over Reichenbach Falls )
Last edited by cowboyangel on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:47 am

unjonharley wrote:

That has to be the most painful post ever
of course it is when filtered through the (*) brain in your skull....

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:17 am

cowboyangel wrote: Cheap comic book Hinduism says that but not real Vedantins like Nisargadata. If there is real non-dualism then everything is a manifestation of singularity, God, ultimate consciousness or whatever. Everything is sacred and equally important, even death, suffering, misery and those who cause it..... now when it comes to republicans, that's the good part...the death part I mean. ( yeah it's like Holmes and Moriarity going over Reichenbach Falls )
I didn't grow up reading cheap comic book hinduism. So can't vouch for that. My limited knowledge comes from growing in a Hindu, Brahmin household. Even Nisargadata, if I am not wrong, based his teachings on Advaita "tat tvam asi" (you are divinity or the true self in it's pure state is the ultimate reality). You would often come across "Aham Brahmasmi" (I am Brahman) in Mahavakyas which are basically upanishads based on vedas. Brahman refers to the Absolute.

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/es ... akyas2.asp

-Bob

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:23 am

wh..sh wrote:
cowboyangel wrote: Cheap comic book Hinduism says that but not real Vedantins like Nisargadata. If there is real non-dualism then everything is a manifestation of singularity, God, ultimate consciousness or whatever. Everything is sacred and equally important, even death, suffering, misery and those who cause it..... now when it comes to republicans, that's the good part...the death part I mean. ( yeah it's like Holmes and Moriarity going over Reichenbach Falls )
I didn't grow up reading cheap comic book hinduism. So can't vouch for that. My limited knowledge comes from growing in a Hindu, Brahmin household. Even Nisargadata, if I am not wrong, based his teachings on Advaita "tat tvasm asi" (you are divinity or the true self in it's pure state is the ultimate reality). You would often come across "Aham Brahmasmi" (I am Brahman) in Mahavakyas which are basically upanishads based on vedas. Brahman refers to the Absolute.

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/es ... akyas2.asp

True enough as long it's said across the board for literally everything in the unmanifested and manifested universe. Brahmananda Saraswati says that "everything is enlightened"... I apologize for the cheap comic book comment, that was out of place.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:28 am

cowboyangel wrote:That the inscrutable awesomeness of everything is self evident, is enough to cause wonder to expand exponentially giving rise to the feeling that there is much more than can be comprehended.
I'm with ya too. Great fucking mystery. Who can say that it's unknowable?

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:34 am

Ill know for sure, when I'm dead.

Return to “Open Discussion”