Who's brought a sig. other that they had to convince to go?

All things outside of Burning Man.
B the B

Re: Who's brought a sig. other that they had to convince to

Post by B the B » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:12 am

I like making it easy for people. This is true. I like shadow dragons too. Scary if you don't know what your seeing, benign if you do. I mean what is there to be afraid of after all, besides yourself? Don't make me quote yoda.
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"

B the B

Post by B the B » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
B the B wrote:Thanks Gyre, Bob. Whelp, as a carpenter I've always believed in using the right tool for the right job. Anything else and you won't get the job done efficiently. Hence a tent and some tarps for summer camping, or Burning Man for a hot uptight bitch
I can't believe you fucking said this, even as a joke. There is the reason you are her ex.
or its it the reason she is mine? Hmm...

Nothing I wouldn't say to her face. I would say some of the shit she likes to call me but I may break down and QQ.

I said it. You can believe it. Not skeered. Think of it in another context you won't be so shocked "You are one hot uptight bitch, you know that?" He says with a smile as he slowly removes her kneehighs....

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:40 am

Is this one of those "better in person than online" things?

B the B

Post by B the B » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:48 am

No sadly, I wish. Like most I am actually better online then in person. At best I'm the same.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:05 am

I think it's going to be pretty windy this year ...oh and hot and dusty too.

No really, if we don't get some moisture it's gonna be bad. :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:50 am

Something that oughta be said: getting ready for Burning Man is not something that most people can do in a week. A virgin would probably fail (or more likely, not try). This is why we hear reports of some scalper standing outside of Bruno's restaurant in Gerlach with a handful of tickets and no buyers: after it gets close enough to the event, most ticketless folks--virgins or not--know they can't handle the logistics of getting it together in time.

Getting time off from work on short notice is difficult, for example. Getting pet-sitters. Affordable flights. Any flights. Disposable contact lenses. Prescription renewals. Paying bills that will become due while you're gone. Having room on one's credit card for $1,000+ of expenses, expected or unexpected. And if someone is to travel separately, there's also deciding how to get there, and getting a rideshare or a rental car (if they're not all reserved at that point).

The fastest I've ever gotten ready for the Burn was this very year, in 3 weeks time, though it's not really as simple as that. I found an opportunity to ship 80% of my stuff 6 weeks before the event, had 3 weeks to get ready for that opportunity, and seized it . . . but it worked because I've already Burned a number of times, owned all my own equipment, and had been shopping & planning various little things for months.

After I shipped my stuff, I still had 6 weeks left to solve any catastrophic omissions and plan my costumes, which I brought along later.

So, "three weeks" with a big ol' asterisk next to it.

My first year it took me 2 months to prepare, not because it was wisest, but because that's when I decided to go--two months out. The reason that 2 months' prep worked out okay is that I had a little camping experience (1 week per year for 7 years, plus one miserable rainy trip from hell) & a great attitude & desire to go to the Burn. My demeanor towards the experience had nothing "uptight" about it.

I would never in good conscience recommend less than two months preparation, much less for an "uptight bitch". Anyone who could be described that way is probably has distinct opinions about her creature comforts, like bedding, food, seating and shade, and will probably want more in the way of comfort than you can bring in on a motorcycle. (Weren't you planning a motorcycle entrance?)

B the B

Post by B the B » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Yes. I can get 32 cubic feet shipped right to the playa floor for $185, which would allow for a couple dis-assembled bikes and stuffed full with clothes, goodies, canned goods, smores, blinkies, water, lotions, vinegar, rebar, mallet, parachute (for windscoop shelter), hopefully even a couple pillows too. My tent, sleeping bag, camp stove, 3 emergency boxes of velveeta mac n cheese, a couple bottles of booze and water, sunblock, and aloe is all I'll need on the bike except for the tool kit and leather. She's learned a little about minimalist camping over the years, but im sure flying out with just a small back pack of her personal items will make her feel uneasy, she would probably bring more and I will be sad for a few minutes 'cause when I go to pick her up I won't be able to fill the saddlebags with beer. When I was out there alone the only time I went back to my site was to refill my slingpack with Ice and cold beer, refill the hydration pack, eat some pie or peanuts or doughnuts, or to do some bong hits. I made a sketchy art/shade structure out of two ladders in a delta climbing high into the sky and some rope holding them up shaped like a pyramid, hung a doumbek from it with some kite string (looked like it was levitating) with my tent underneath it that and I never even really hung out at. Except during the previousley mentioned fuel stops. My intention was to turn it into a big tipi with some big blue tarps but the first wind storm made me skip that part, that woulda been all bad. Whenever I needed to crash I went under the pagoda and curled up on the bean bags or went to a freindly neighboors camp that was more airy then my tent. Actually that's a lie, I did sleep in my tent one night after I woke up in the middle of the night freezing my balls off. That sucked I couldnt find my camp site for what seemed like 3 hours, I was disoriented and totally wiped out. I think if she agrees to come I would plan on spending way more time at our campsite during the day, otherwise I wouldn't change a thing, except I am not gonna strap ladders to my back on the bike lol. But yeah I would love to give her more time to prepare then a week, but the more I think about it I think getting her out there is fantasy. Eric's post about his boyfriend in particular makes me believe I'm rushing things and being more self-centered then I think. I just have a gut feeling something out there would open her eyes to a new thought process. I have been a "Burner" of sorts since long before I even knew about burning man. When I got to the gate and the naked guy gave me a hug and said welcome home, I felt it, I really was at home. Some of the insane shit that happened to me out there convinced me I was definately supposed to be there. But I don't know if I'm supposed to go back or not. I'm trying to piece the puzzle together, and right now the pieces look like they are from totally different puzzles. Much love, thanks Savannah, lucky420.

P.S. My ultimate burning man goal/fantasy is to turn my truck into a roaming Tiki hut bar complete with hammocks and barstools but, that's like, ten years out. I can't fucking believe I couldn't keep that to myself. Oh well it's probably been done already anyhow, or will be by then.

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Savannah wrote: The fastest I've ever gotten ready for the Burn was this very year, in 3 weeks time, though it's not really as simple as that. I found an opportunity to ship 80% of my stuff 6 weeks before the event, had 3 weeks to get ready for that opportunity, and seized it . . . but it worked because I've already Burned a number of times, owned all my own equipment, and had been shopping & planning various little things for months.
With help from a good friend, I read the survial guide, first timers,well, I read and reread everything multiple times. I watched videos and went to local decompression and that was a lesson in itself! Since I had no camping equipment I went on CL, yards sales and stores for my camping things. I asked folks in here for help and got it gladly from everyone. I searched the threads, blah blah blah. I had never camped before in my life either!

In short (I know,too late... :D) It took me approx. 15 months to prepare for my first burn this year. While on the playa, I learned a lot there too. Like what I didn't need to bring, and what I should've brought.

I'm so impressed with Savannah how she managed it in 3 weeks!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:57 pm

B the B wrote:I just have a gut feeling something out there would open her eyes to a new thought process.
My not-so-enthusiastic-about-buring-man husband came with me to the burn last year. And guess what!?
He is still the not-so-enthusiastic-about-burning-man guy.

And I feel about burning man same exact way as I did before my first burn.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

B the B

Post by B the B » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks for the help guys n gals. Not you Ygmir you silly devil. Doc, watch your Barbies.

Merry Holidaze!

B the B

Post by B the B » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:03 pm

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:58 pm

Huh, seems you said you'd be willing to go every other year in your old post. Now you're on fire wanting to go again, right away, this year 2012!! [listen to Eric!!]

I noticed a lot of the RV's were back ups for tipis and other 'kewl' type tents or what have you, and when I was invited inside, half of them were either a total mess, and I mean an utter disaster (hilarious!!) or they were pristine. I found the pristine Rv'rs to either be out doing a lot of interesting stuff, hence a prisitine Rv or they were boring and or bored. Whatever, they got money to burn I suppose. I'd take a big rv and wreck it inside and out if I could afford to, but, eh, I also know how to clean the thing up after the event (yikes) My horse trailer, truck and funky cart took a long looong time to get clean, musta been because they get used and abused. Also, I'd move away to a new camping spot if I were surrounded by huge walls of Rv's if they bothered me. Maybe I was lucky, but I enjoyed the mix of tents & RV's wherever I was camped, I think if not invited inside, then the rv'rs have good reason, probably a total mess or some personal thing, so what. It's not like I invited everyone in my horse trailer every minute of the day or night, hahaha, it's a semi total mess inside there. (Plus, I could always fire up my new generator and aim it at a snobby rv'r, lmao! j/k)

Maybe you should consider traveling with her? Do you have to ride a motorcycle across the USA?

Does she dislike car camping? (yes, burning man qualifies as easy car camping, but with special considerations&preparation for the playa of course) If she's a prissy East Coaster, and dislikes car camping, I think you better let her decide if she ever wants to go. Might want to offer to fly with her too, are you married to her or a motorcycle?

In the meantime, you outta go build something from the left over wood you must get for free at job sites and burn the fucking thing dude! Have fun! (it helps)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

B the B

Post by B the B » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:58 am

Great Idea! I didn't go last year. Time sure does pass fast... I think the bike would be ok for solo, but I think you're right about flying if it's the two of us. The fatigue from just driving the truck out last year was a killer, (quite literally, when I remember ghost riding, getting pulled over going 10 over, etc.) but I rushed it. I hear you about the RV's. I will admit if you have the money and you're older and whatnot, some would even say they are perfect for BRC. I'm no hippy, but I guess I get caught up in my minimalist ways when there is so much constipation and consumption everywhere. The crazy climate, the occupy movement, things like that are real and happening, but everyone STILL shrugs them off. I was thinking more about the asthetic then the practicality. Plus I have a very strange almost self-destructive, masochistic streak when it comes to the outdoors, of course this isn't for everyone. There's room for everyone. Thanks for yer insights Moon!

I just may build a stickfigure out back now, you are correct about the spare lumber...

Return to “Open Discussion”