What would you buy?

All things outside of Burning Man.
NellieX

What would you buy?

Post by NellieX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:12 pm

I have a $100 Target gift card, and I want to use it for Burning Man supplies. I already have a tent, camp chairs, air mattress and pump, and a cooler.

What would YOU buy?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: What would you buy?

Post by ygmir » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:12 pm

booze
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

JDCookMS

Post by JDCookMS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Lights (both for tent and self), A way to cook food, Some kind of playa wear, food...

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:16 pm

ygmir wrote:booze
Unfortunately in Minnesota, you can't buy alcohol at stores like Target and Walmart (except for the low-percent type, which doesn't qualify as real booze as far as I'm concerned).

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm

JDCookMS wrote:Lights (both for tent and self), A way to cook food, Some kind of playa wear, food...
A little stove would be good, thanks.

Playawear will be thrifted :) I have a feeling I won't do much dressing up...I like to keep things low-maintenance.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm

NellieX wrote:
Unfortunately in Minnesota, you can't buy alcohol at stores like Target and Walmart (except for the low-percent type, which doesn't qualify as real booze as far as I'm concerned).
taco flavored Doritos, then.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:19 pm

ygmir wrote:
NellieX wrote:
taco flavored Doritos, then.

I'm guessing these are on the official Burning Man necessities list. I'll buy a pallet.

JDCookMS

Post by JDCookMS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 pm

NellieX wrote:
JDCookMS wrote:Lights (both for tent and self), A way to cook food, Some kind of playa wear, food...

Playawear will be thrifted :) I have a feeling I won't do much dressing up...I like to keep things low-maintenance.
I'm a burgin, so I'm not certain how it is there and if you camp with others, but stuff like a solar powered shower, a small set of speakers/radio, colored ducktape?

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:22 pm

JDCookMS wrote:
NellieX wrote:

I'm a burgin, so I'm not certain how it is there and if you camp with others, but stuff like a solar powered shower, a small set of speakers/radio, colored ducktape?
We've got a little radio we can use, we'll probably skip the shower (my husband seems to prefer being stinky anyway), but colored duct tape is a good idea.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:27 pm

or, if you have all the things you need (I know there's a couple of threads on lists) find something you thing would be a really special treat, maybe even to share, out there.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Ideas:

* Camping cot (better selection in a few months, though . . . check online. There's a few right now, but I think you can find better in May or June.)
* A lantern
* A folding table
* A tv tray for bedside table (as low as $5 at Walgreen's or a thrift store, though)
* Battery-powered lights on holiday clearance
* Mini mag lights and lanyards
* Batteries
* Sunscreen (wait, and get the fresh stuff--although it's cheap right now, so check the expiration date)

Duct tape was a good call; Target has really pretty patterns, though I don't know if the pretty stuff is made by a strong brand.

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 pm

ygmir wrote:or, if you have all the things you need (I know there's a couple of threads on lists) find something you thing would be a really special treat, maybe even to share, out there.
Oh we don't have NEARLY all of the things we need. I've downloaded quite a few lists, I just was curious what other people would buy first! It's going to be a process of accumulation over the spring and summer....a little at a time.

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:15 pm

NellieX wrote:I have a $100 Target gift card, and I want to use it for Burning Man supplies. I already have a tent, camp chairs, air mattress and pump, and a cooler.

What would YOU buy?
Hi Nellie! Buy a shade structure. It's a necessary item.Depending on how big your vehicle will be, you can buy shade big enough for your tent and vehicle. Or get tarps for both. A propane stove would be good! a few pots and pans.

try this link http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewforum.php?f=275

It'll give you a load of good ideas!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 am

Target is really good about marking down their merchandise at the end of each season. You missed the battery powered strings of lights, but winter clothes (both men's and women's) are already 50% off. You can wait for 75% off and really stretch the hell out of that $100 card. Amazingly, the stuff that sells last on clearance is the best for playa wear. Warm, cheap and colorful are perfect and if it gets ruined, lost or you give it away, it's no big deal.

Also, poke around the camping department now. Nalgene bottles are now on clearance too.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:37 am

Yeah, they probably don't have any of the solar LED Christmas lights left.

Our Target doesn't sell booze either.

Socks. A coffee press or camp wattle kettle. Plastic totes or bins, maybe a small rug for just outside your tent door.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:59 am

AntiM wrote: Socks. A coffee press or camp wattle kettle. Plastic totes or bins, maybe a small rug for just outside your tent door.
A tea pot is awesome for boiling water on propane stoves or fires. It has a built on lid to keep dust and making boiling quicker. And, if you walk or are prepping other food away from it for a bit, it will yell at your when your water is boiling!

And socks are always a great idea!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:18 am

illy dilly wrote:And socks are always a great idea!!!
Um, yeah, socks...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:35 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
illy dilly wrote:And socks are always a great idea!!!
Um, yeah, socks...

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:50 pm

maryanimal wrote:
NellieX wrote:I have a $100 Target gift card, and I want to use it for Burning Man supplies. I already have a tent, camp chairs, air mattress and pump, and a cooler.

What would YOU buy?
Hi Nellie! Buy a shade structure. It's a necessary item.Depending on how big your vehicle will be, you can buy shade big enough for your tent and vehicle. Or get tarps for both. A propane stove would be good! a few pots and pans.

try this link http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewforum.php?f=275

It'll give you a load of good ideas!
Hi!

We're going the Monkey Hut route, so our supplies for that will probably be purchased at Home Depot (I've never seen pvc pipe or tarps at target :p ) We'll definitely be getting a propane stove, and we've got a few old pots and pans already that we can use.

Thanks for the suggestions.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:53 pm

buy film for your camera because youre going to be taking a lot of pictures...
Don't link to anything here!

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:12 pm

AntiM wrote:Yeah, they probably don't have any of the solar LED Christmas lights left.

Our Target doesn't sell booze either.

Socks. A coffee press or camp wattle kettle. Plastic totes or bins, maybe a small rug for just outside your tent door.

Socks are always needed. A camp kettle is a good idea, too. I think for coffee I'll use those Folgers tea-bag type things. They aren't the best, but I'm not picky.

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Shambala wrote:Target is really good about marking down their merchandise at the end of each season. You missed the battery powered strings of lights, but winter clothes (both men's and women's) are already 50% off. You can wait for 75% off and really stretch the hell out of that $100 card. Amazingly, the stuff that sells last on clearance is the best for playa wear. Warm, cheap and colorful are perfect and if it gets ruined, lost or you give it away, it's no big deal.

Also, poke around the camping department now. Nalgene bottles are now on clearance too.

Luckily we have about 50 strings of battery-powered mini lights left from our wedding!

I could use a Nalgene.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Do you have a sleeping bag? Are you bringing a bike? bike rack for your car? Target probably has a basic tire repair kit, or bike lights. stock up your first aid kit, band aids, neosporin, etc. that cost always gets me by surprise.

I would buy.... soem coughlans camp junk... marshmallow roasting forks, zipper pull compass, sham wow sort of towel, and I would check out the toy department and see how much a croquet set costs.
Last edited by Elorrum on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm

lemur wrote:buy film for your camera because youre going to be taking a lot of pictures...
They still make film!? :shock:

Kermy say wha?!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Propane stove wouldn't be a bad idea, they should have a reasonably priced general purpose model or two. Could also prove useful for stocking up on batteries or an extra memory card for a digital camera or something along those lines. Time is on your side, be patient and keep your eye on the sales and circulars.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:16 pm

8 months out, after getting ticket and arranging transport, would be purchase of non-perishable supply. Water and perishables can wait till August. Camping gear, tent, and shade can be aquired at thrift stores and bargain stores. The Playa alkali ( Lye) will ruin most everything eventually, so do not bring your best stuff out to wear, use, or gift. Bring your favorite food, drink, and party supply: experiments can go wrong sometimes, be prepared like the Boyscouts say. Or not, fuck your day!

Ps. repair your stuff now. I changed out one innertube on my bike trailer today, and aired up everything, oiled up everything that needed it. Bought a propane stove but found the regulator tube that connects the stove to the 1 lb. propane can was missing, ordering replacement tube...shit happens, better now than in August...
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Elorrum wrote:Do you have a sleeping bag? Are you bringing a bike? bike rack for your car? Target probably has a basic tire repair kit, or bike lights. stock up your first aid kit, band aids, neosporin, etc. that cost always gets me by surprise.

I would buy.... soem coughlans camp junk... marshmallow roasting forks, zipper pull compass, sham wow sort of towel, and I would check out the toy department and see how much a croquet set costs.
A croquet set is an excellent idea.

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Oldguy wrote:8 months out, after getting ticket and arranging transport, would be purchase of non-perishable supply. Water and perishables can wait till August. Camping gear, tent, and shade can be aquired at thrift stores and bargain stores. The Playa alkali ( Lye) will ruin most everything eventually, so do not bring your best stuff out to wear, use, or gift. Bring your favorite food, drink, and party supply: experiments can go wrong sometimes, be prepared like the Boyscouts say. Or not, fuck your day!

Ps. repair your stuff now. I changed out one innertube on my bike trailer today, and aired up everything, oiled up everything that needed it. Bought a propane stove but found the regulator tube that connects the stove to the 1 lb. propane can was missing, ordering replacement tube...shit happens, better now than in August...
Fuck your day, too! I'm not sure yet if we're taking our bikes, but some extra tubes and lube is a good idea.

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:21 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:
lemur wrote:buy film for your camera because youre going to be taking a lot of pictures...
They still make film!? :shock:

Kermy say wha?!
Believe it or not, some of us prefer film. And not even in roll form, I prefer the giant pain-in-the-ass sheets.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Bikes would be an essential for most. On a bike you're able to sail through the burn...you might reconsider and bring bikes, if you got 'em bring 'em.
Last time I checked, bike rack prices seems reasonable enough or use some ratcheting nylon straps and strap them tightly to the top of your vehicle/luggage rack.

Target in South Reno had some good hats, and the nearby Goodwill, down in South Reno, is a good thirft store.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Return to “Open Discussion”