What is a Sparkle Pony?

All things outside of Burning Man.
User avatar
JovReef
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Coon and Friends

What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby JovReef » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:00 pm

I've come across this term in countless posts and I get that it is a derogatory term, but could I get your definitions & or pics?
(my little pony pics work too.. I know someone will want to add that)
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. - Sir Winston Churchill

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40294
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Playa speak for "high maintenance". Specifically someone who brings 47 outfits, a half gallon of ramen, and some cup-o-soups with him/her to the burn. Spends all the time dancing and expects others to take care of any other needs s/he has out there.

And oh boy, we had fun with them last year. It quite cheered me to see them in the Apokalyptika thread yesterday.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
pinemom
Posts: 8277
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Booby Bar 2007-2011
Contact:

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby pinemom » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:44 pm

another form of sparklepony is this asshat!

[Link to scalper removed. Thanks! --Sav ]
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

User avatar
junglesmacks
Posts: 5814
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Location: Your mom's tent

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:55 pm

pinemom wrote:another form of sparklepony is this asshat!

[Link to scalper removed. Thanks! --Sav ]


I wouldn't call that a sparklepony. That's just being an asshole.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40294
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:57 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
pinemom wrote:another form of sparklepony is this asshat!
[Link to scalper removed. Thanks! --Sav ]


I wouldn't call that a sparklepony. That's just being an asshole.

Yeah. Scalpers have to have too much on the ball to be sparkleponies.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
JovReef
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Coon and Friends

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby JovReef » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Ah, thanks.

In regards to the Apokalyptika threat ... :shock:
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. - Sir Winston Churchill

User avatar
Major Krash
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow
Location: just off the Oregon Trail

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby Major Krash » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:46 pm

and there are both male and female Sparkle Ponies....

positive identification is often difficult at first. Over time, however, certain trends expose them.

1) Sparkle Ponies do no meaningful work (after all, they are so busy "sparkling", which is a gift to you, so why should they work?)
2) Sparkle Ponies seem to shit Drama like regular horses shit hay (smelly, in-your-face, and large amounts)
3) Sparkle Ponies come out at night (but can also be spotted during the day, especially taking up valuable resources like that 1 camp recliner in the shade for the entire day)
4) Sparkle Ponies consume far more than they contribute (complaining about how things "should be" is not a contribution)
5) Sparkle Ponies are always well dressed and clean

Why are they not hunted on sight or rounded up and ousted?

Because they are friends (or lovers) of contributors. The 20% that do most of the heavy work at BM tend to bring them (although large herds of birgin sparkle ponies have been spotted). So they are tolerated, but behind their backs they tend to be ridiculed.

But they do have some bitchin' costumes!
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

User avatar
Major Krash
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow
Location: just off the Oregon Trail

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby Major Krash » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Not all Ponies Sparkle....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40294
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:57 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Playa speak for "high maintenance". Specifically someone who brings 47 outfits, a half gallon of ramen water, and some cup-o-soups with him/her to the burn. Spends all the time dancing and expects others to take care of any other needs s/he has out there.

And oh boy, we had fun with them last year. It quite cheered me to see them in the Apokalyptika thread yesterday.

There, I fixed it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
RedHeaven
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:00 am
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche
Location: Nevada City California

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 pm

Major Krash wrote:and there are both male and female Sparkle Ponies....

positive identification is often difficult at first. Over time, however, certain trends expose them.

1) Sparkle Ponies do no meaningful work (after all, they are so busy "sparkling", which is a gift to you, so why should they work?)
2) Sparkle Ponies seem to shit Drama like regular horses shit hay (smelly, in-your-face, and large amounts)
3) Sparkle Ponies come out at night (but can also be spotted during the day, especially taking up valuable resources like that 1 camp recliner in the shade for the entire day)
4) Sparkle Ponies consume far more than they contribute (complaining about how things "should be" is not a contribution)
5) Sparkle Ponies are always well dressed and clean

Why are they not hunted on sight or rounded up and ousted?

Because they are friends (or lovers) of contributors. The 20% that do most of the heavy work at BM tend to bring them (although large herds of birgin sparkle ponies have been spotted). So they are tolerated, but behind their backs they tend to be ridiculed.

But they do have some bitchin' costumes!



Epic quote!!!

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 16778
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:24 am

JovReef wrote:I've come across this term in countless posts and I get that it is a derogatory term, but could I get your definitions & or pics?
(my little pony pics work too.. I know someone will want to add that)



YOUR MOM IS A SPARKLE PONY AND I STILL HAVE GLITTER ON MY DICK FROM LAST NIGHT.
"the same thing we do every year, pinky"

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

User avatar
CornMan
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby CornMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 am

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 11841
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 am

JovReef wrote:I've come across this term in countless posts and I get that it is a derogatory term, but could I get your definitions & or pics?
(my little pony pics work too.. I know someone will want to add that)


Just FYI . . . certified Sparkle Pony pics are harder to come by than the stories about them, because Sparkle Ponies are defined by their behavior. Sparkle Ponies are nearly always good-looking and flashily/barely dressed (otherwise, it would be much harder to get away with being high maintenance). However, you cannot assume the reverse--that because someone is flashy or attractive, they are therefore a 'Pony. (In Black Rock City, there is a lot of sparkle to go around.)
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
Bob
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 am

JovReef wrote:I've come across this term in countless posts and I get that it is a derogatory term, but could I get your definitions & or pics?
(my little pony pics work too.. I know someone will want to add that)


Try the bathroom mirror.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

stew
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:30 am
Location: Germany

Re: What is a Sparkle Pony?

Postby stew » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:25 am

A sparkle pony is the person that brought 15 full outfits, 8 different types of lipgloss, glitter for the entire block, but forgot about that water/dustmask/sleepingbag thing.
Don't listen to me - I'm just some random drunk with Internet access.
PLAYA PORN!


Return to “Open Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests