All My Fellow Lonesome, Default World Losers

All things outside of Burning Man.

All My Fellow Lonesome, Default World Losers

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:04 am

Sometimes, fickle fate, mercurial and moody bitch that she can be, intercedes and blocks all our best efforts to go "home for the holidays."

I'm stuck working this year. And sneering and scowling at people in the meantime, which seems to be somehow related.

But to all my fellow work-bound instead of homeward-bound losers in life's lottery, I say: "Cheers to you. Chin up, monkey." And may your sense of missing it all be mitigated by finding some real-life, unexpected, palpable magic waiting for you just around the next mundane bend.

- la Skyler

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Re: All My Fellow Lonesome, Default World Losers

Post by buckethead alien » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:45 pm

Skyler wrote: But to all my fellow work-bound instead of homeward-bound losers in life's lottery, I say: "Cheers to you. Chin up, monkey." And may your sense of missing it all be mitigated by finding some real-life, unexpected, palpable magic waiting for you just around the next mundane bend.
Thanks, Skyler. I am going to start sewing my fur pants for 2005 on Saturday about the same time the Man burns in BRC
Buckethead, Buckethead you are like an Alien
Buckethead, Buckethead your head is like a dish
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you wear the Maybelline
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you're full of fish

redstar

default world *grrr*

Post by redstar » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:20 pm

I too am stuck at work this year - couldn't make it for many reasons - and am scowling at people a lot!

When the man burns I think I'll be planting things in my garden (it'll be Sunday afternoon here at the underside of the world) - growing new things.

I'll also be putting the finishing touches on a birthday present for my boy who is there without me - next year, we'll be going together, from the same country even - he's moving here in January :) We met at my first burn in '02.
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Ghandi

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:29 pm

cheers,
we're doing a burn at ocean beach sat night, with a call from my best mate in colorado while the man burns on the playa.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

anticdevices

Post by anticdevices » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:30 am

The bad news is that we're homesick.

The good news is that the baby is due in 6 short weeks.

Plus, at least we've got a special event happening. Here in NOLA it's Southern Decadance. Nothing is set on fire, and air-conditioning is readily available, but there's pleanty of wild beautiful costumes and a general celebration of an alternative lifestyle.

One of the things about BM for me was the amazing variety of beauty. It's nice that there'll be a little reminder happening on our doorstep.

Hugs all
O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention - Henry V, Prologue

Troy Van Berry

Missing it all, almost.

Post by Troy Van Berry » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:46 pm

This is the first time we haven't gone since "96. 8 years in a row, but lucky 9 wasn't meant to be. It's almost kind of harder being here in Reno. I drive alot in my job as a Lighting Director for a Reno production Co. and was on I-80 alot this week and saw so many burners heading to the playa, they're funky vehicles loaded with bikes and all kinds of stuff. Talked to people in the Reno stores, and even loaned some shade stuff to some friends at Re-evolution village, so my shits out there even if I'm not. It's very wierd, seeing everyone going, but we decided to take at least a year off, as Kerry already missed most of the last two years due to our new son. We have may questions to answer before we will know how we want to handle the BM experience as parents. I have to say I'm not missing the rigors of it all, as I've done major mobile and stationary art projects the last 5 years. The projects are the fun part anyhow for me. The camping in the dirt has kind of lost it's charm though, we definetly are re-thinking our options. When I awoke to a very cool autumn breeze this morning, my tired bones were glad I was not waking up in a tent or my van freezing my ass off. I guess I'm mostly wandering what the Man looks like and what all the art projects look like, and how the mutant vehicle thing is going with all the new regs and everything.
And of course I'll miss all the people and all the wonderful and crazy, creative shit they do. But for me as an artist it's the creativity I feed off of, so I'm going to have to be on the lookout for some alternative inspirations. I can't wait to hear stories and see photo's! Carry on my wayward burnes!
The art is in the details

Return to “Open Discussion”