"It's news to me!"

All things outside of Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: "It's news to me!"

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:31 am

Joe Exotic, whose entertaining yet ultimately criminal exploits kept the nation distracted in the early days of the pandemic, has reportedly hired some kind of hideous limousine/pick-up truck hybrid to collect him in the expectation of a Trump pardon. Perris Jones, a reporter KOCO5 in Oklahoma City, posted a photo of the truck—as well as the detail that Exotic will be immediately taken to a secure location upon his release to get his hair done before photos can be taken. Jones reported that Exotic’s team is “absolutely confident” that Trump will come through for him before he leaves office tomorrow.

https://apple.news/AxUkrgAWWRU-qagDHWsG-rQ
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:27 am

I never did watch that show, anybody who collects animals like he did can fuck right the fuck off.

His ordering some kind of ugly mullet limo to match his hair seems appropriate though
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:32 pm

I can sleep well knowing this mystery has finally been solved.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/animals ... ocid=ientp
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:22 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:16 am
Four Seasons 2:

Extremist groups accidentally call for armed rally at Anchorage shopping mall instead of Juneau Capitol

https://alaskalandmine.com/landmines/ex ... -building/

I wonder if Baked Alaska planned it?
Likely by someone who had never been in Alaska. It's like thinking Las Vegas is the capital of Nevada.

Ashely86
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Ashely86 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:49 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:32 pm
I can sleep well knowing this mystery has finally been solved.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/animals ... ocid=ientp
My life goal is achieved

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:28 pm

"My hair has been like this for about a month now." "Well, I didn't have any göt2b glue spray, so I used this," showing the camera a can of Gorilla Glue spray adhesive. "Bad. Bad. Bad idea," Brown says. "My hair don't move."
https://twitter.com/chub_B_W/status/1357276391406977028
https://www.newsweek.com/womans-gorilla ... ed-1566880
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:37 am

Canoe wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:28 pm
"My hair has been like this for about a month now." "Well, I didn't have any göt2b glue spray, so I used this," showing the camera a can of Gorilla Glue spray adhesive. "Bad. Bad. Bad idea," Brown says. "My hair don't move."
Ohhhhh and it’s been on her head for a month...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:16 am

lucky420 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:37 am
Ohhhhh and it’s been on her head for a month...
I have a problem with that. I've had various resins, glues & adhesives on my skin, some staying there until the underlying skin layer falls off. Depends on the bond. That should have been lifting from her scalp in places if it had been on there a month.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:04 am

When I was in grade school, there was a kids mom that combed his hair with sugar water.

When it dried, it didn't move all day.

He always looked spiffy! :)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Canoe wrote:
We seem to be producing idiots faster than natural selection can take them out. Talk about non-sustainable.

Luckily we are long overdue an asteroid impact.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Miura-7
Burning Since: 2020

Post by Miura-7 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:30 pm

Ever since Junior Bush took office, I believe our asteroid has been impacted on a regular basis. I guess that's what makes us resilient.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:48 pm

Capital rioters almost intercepted the football

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/politics ... index.html

The nuclear football is one of America's most classified and globe-critical systems.

Where does the GOP-TOP-QOP dredge up these candidates?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/02 ... ym-affairs
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:31 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm
We seem to be producing idiots faster than natural selection can take them out. ...
We put Darwin out to pasture when we invented sanitation and medical science. :P

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:10 am

Elliot wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:31 pm
FlyingMonkey wrote:
We seem to be producing idiots faster than natural selection can take them out. ...
We put Darwin out to pasture when we invented sanitation and medical science. :P
Hold My Beer et al has made a pretty good stab at compensating for that.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:36 am

U.S. Freezing Storms

https://twitter.com/fred035schultz/stat ... 9712710667

So many places in the U.S. without power, homes getting colder, and freezing temperatures outside becoming so inside. I wonder how many in usually non-freezing areas know to crack their taps to make a tiny water-flow so the pipes don't freeze, crack and flood, be it now or after the pipes start thawing out.

I'm actually warm, as the latest two snowfalls have finally resulted in snow up against the foundation around 1.5 feet deep. Insulates and prevents the cold wind from blowing on it to remove the most heat. Sub zero, in C or F, and I don't even need to light a candle in the bedroom for extra heat.

I'm surprised people with snow blowers don't blow snow up against their foundation for the heating savings.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Canoe wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:10 am
Elliot wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:
Hold My Beer et al has made a pretty good stab at compensating for that.
Yes, we still need to invent education.

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Canoe wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:36 am
U.S. Freezing Storms

https://twitter.com/fred035schultz/stat ... 9712710667

So many places in the U.S. without power, homes getting colder, and freezing temperatures outside becoming so inside. I wonder how many in usually non-freezing areas know to crack their taps to make a tiny water-flow so the pipes don't freeze, crack and flood, be it now or after the pipes start thawing out.

I'm actually warm, as the latest two snowfalls have finally resulted in snow up against the foundation around 1.5 feet deep. Insulates and prevents the cold wind from blowing on it to remove the most heat. Sub zero, in C or F, and I don't even need to light a candle in the bedroom for extra heat.

I'm surprised people with snow blowers don't blow snow up against their foundation for the heating savings.
Thanks for thinking of us in theMidwest, Canoe. It’’s a major disaster here. It took me an hour to drive the 5 miles to the grocery and pharmacy Monday night. I have water, to and 20 gallons bottled. Gas heat and buried electric. Internet is out, but I can use the iPhone.
Multiple states have had multi-vehicle fatal accidents because people don’t adjust their speed to the road conditions as because they don’t stay home and risk the lives of others.
Dumb fucks.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:05 pm

^Rhino! wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:32 pm
Canoe wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:36 am
[...]I wonder how many in usually non-freezing areas know to crack their taps to make a tiny water-flow so the pipes don't freeze, crack and flood, be it now or after the pipes start thawing out.
[...]
[...]It’’s a major disaster here.[...]
Fuck!
Some of the stuff people are doing! Like bringing their BBQs indoors!!! Or insulating the cold water pipes inside the building where the supply enters the building!!! NO!!!!!
If you see stupid, poor, useless or dangerous advice on social media, CORRECT IT!
  • Setting your taps to drip is too often not enough to stop pipes from freezing. You need to have a tiny flow to ensure the water in the pipes keeps moving, so it can't freeze. One tap will keep the supply to the building moving, but if the house is freezing inside, you need to have every tap running a tiny flow of water.
  • DO NOT INSULATE the cold water pipes inside your house. ESPECIALLY the supply line to the building. Those pipes need to absorb heat from inside the building to keep from freezing.
  • If you have to leave your house and go some where else as it's freezing and the heat is out, then you NEED TO EMPTY THE WATER OUT OF YOUR PIPES, else you'll be returning to a house that leaks & floods when the pipes thaw out. Turn off the supply to the house first. And empty the electric hot water tank, after shutting off it's power at the breaker.
  • If you still have hot water, don't forget that hot water is a source of heat.
    - Fill containers with hot water. Like a hot water bottle, a container with hot water is now a portable source of heat.
    - Set a container of hot water beside the water supply into the building.
    - You can even bring the garden hose in, lay it on the floor in the basement, attach to hot water, other end drains into a sink - run until it's full of hot water, then shut it off and let the heat in the hose radiate into the house. Run a couple of loops of the hose over the water supply into the building... If you have hot water and multiple hoses, repeat that around the house.
  • If you have some heat inside (sometimes you're the only heat), cover the windows to keep heat in.
    - hang blankets over the windows, cushions stacked on the window sill or stuffed behind the blanket, some for pillows, or put a spare mattress over the entire window.
    - Take those off if the sun is shining on the window - let the sun's heat in.
  • If it's freezing inside and you have to shelter in place:
    - fill containers for drinking water and flush-toilet water - ration both
    - drain the pipes
    - pick one room to shelter in place in - that's now your cabin in the woods
    - gather your meds, first aid kit, flashlights, batteries, phones, chargers, etc., in that room, in a container or backpack, so you can grab that if you have to leave to go elsewhere and not have to spend any time gathering things up or end up forgetting something
    - bring your heat sources to that room - watch out for fires and combustion gases
    - insulate the windows (blankets, pillows, mattresses)
    - Also insulate the doors, even to the rest of the house you're not using. Remember to keep emergency exits quickly available. A single mattress across a door is simple and easy to remove.
    - Remember that heat rises. If your shelter in place room has stairs leading upstairs, see if a blanket across the stairs at their top will stop you from losing heat from where you're sheltering. Better if you can seal the stairs at the lower ceiling level, to reduce heat rising up there, leaving your shelter in place room.
    (I once spent some -40 F to -50 F nights in an un-insulated cottage, toasty in my underwear laying on top of my sleeping bag, on an upper landing of stairs. Everyone else was dressed in their outdoor cloths, hats, scarves & mitts, trying to sleep in their sleeping bags laid out in front of the huge fireplace, the lowest/coldest height in our shelter in place room, plus the cold it was drawing was sucked right across them all night long.)
  • Inside your shelter in place room, use cushions from chairs and sofas to build a fort to shelter in, like the old fashioned beds with the canopy and curtains all around to keep heat in.
    - They're the structure and insulation, along with blankets, mattresses, tables, etc..
    - Blanket makes a good roof, and can often be better insulated by cushions or pillows on top.
    - You can use a large sofa as the base of your fort. It's insulated and up off the cold floor.
    - have your essentials container/backpack in/near your fort, to minimize heat loss when you need to access it
    - if you have a free-standing tent, set it up as your fort. Cushions for floor. Other things to insulate it inside or outside the tent. Tent inside a tent also provides more insulation.
  • Wash your plates outside in the snow by rubbing them with snow.
  • Remember an outdoor BBQ for cooking. DO NOT BRING IT INDOORS - the carbon monoxide will kill you.
    - Check its gas level. If it's natgas tied to the house supply and running, then you can use it to heat water, to put into containers to bring the hot water inside as a heat source.
  • If you - or your neighbours - have hot water somehow, don't forget that you can fill hot water bottles and sealable drink containers or bottles, and put them under the blanket with people or inside their clothes (over their kidneys - good blood flow there to absorb heat, and make them feel warm too).
  • While you have access to data, make sure you obtain emergency numbers, and look up how to take additional measures, for utilities that are out AND for other utilities you may still have.
  • Make sure you let someone you know & trust, know where you are. Keep them updated if you move to another place to shelter.
That's off the top of my head.
There's got to be more information out there. Check the disaster checklists online.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:10 am

When the agencies have too much money, they do stupid things

CIA parapsychology programs

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7k9qag/ ... to-the-cia

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:53 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Canoe wrote:
We seem to be producing idiots faster than natural selection can take them out. Talk about non-sustainable.
Luckily we are long overdue an asteroid impact.
O.M.G.
Someone wasn't getting enough attention.
[...]
(He) wanted to prove that the woman who recently became infamous for spraying Gorilla Glue in her hair, was a fraud. His idea was to film himself doing a “Gorilla Glue Challenge” that involved putting some of the ultra-powerful adhesive on the rim of a red Solo cup, taking a drink, and then licking it off. He would record the whole thing for Instagram so that it could be preserved for us, and generations of his descendants, to enjoy. [...]
“I thought it could lick it off kind of to moisten it and pull it right off but that didn’t work.”
[...]
The Solo cup was removed from (his) face at a local emergency room, with a medical technique he described as “painful peeling.” He added that if his self-inflicted injury doesn’t heal properly, the tip of his lip will need to be surgically removed.
[...]
in 2019 he was arrested for licking a tub of Blue Bell ice cream in a Louisiana supermarket and putting it in the freezer
[...]
https://thetakeout.com/gorilla-glue-sol ... 1846278485
Article comment wrote:I’m going to pass on watching this. I’ll give you attention for writing it but that’s as far as I’ll go.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:33 am

The Texas grid got crushed because its operators didn’t see the need to prepare for cold weather
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... TQBK7WGNAY
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... _fullstory

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:47 am

Texas may have had its grid crushed, but here in Missouri things look good for now. Of course I could drone on and on about the lack of underground grids here, and how some areas get mashed when ice storms hit. A few years ago, we had the same kind of storm we always get barreling up the I-44 corridor. Springfield, Mo was sheathed in ice, coming down first as sleet and freezing rain; accumulating on power lines to the point of collapse. What power lines didn’t collapse from the weight of ice were ripped off the poles by falling trees. Emergency crews took along insulated PVC poles to move hot lines, and carried extra chainsaws when traveling to calls. I was amazed by the resilience of the people of Springfield.People opened up space for friends and neighbors, and everyone organized in shifts to clear debris. Crime dropped to an all time low.
P
When confronted with disaster, it seems humans band together with a Black Rock
city sense of do-ocracy that we need to make an every day occurrence. Th community spirit shouldn’t end with the end of the disaster. It’s he job of ALL of us to make sure that happens; THAT SHOULD BE THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON WE BRING HOME FROM BRC. If we don’t buy in and get shit done, what does it say about us?
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:50 pm

We are not "all in the same boat".
We are in the same storm.
Some have yachts,
some have canoes,
and some are drowning.
Be kind and help where you can.

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:56 pm

Canoe wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:50 pm
We are not "all in the same boat".
We are in the same storm.
Some have yachts,
some have canoes,
and some are drowning.
Be kind and help where you can.
True day.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:06 am

[...]
"I got out there and sat down on the toilet and immediately something bit my butt as I sat down," she told the Associated Press news agency.
[...]
"[She] might be the only person this has ever happened to. I wouldn't be surprised over the years if other folks have had bizarre things - but during February to sit down in an outhouse and have something like that happen is very unusual."

Ms Stevens told the Anchorage Daily News that she will practice a "look before you sit" policy in the future.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56136249
during February it's very unusual
That it happened February is the unusual part?

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:07 am

Lauren Boebert’s Totally Normal Zoom Background Includes a Gun Shrine
“If somebody wants to have a shrine to their gun fetish as a Zoom backdrop in their private life, they can do that,” said one representative.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7angp/ ... gun-shrine

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:34 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:10 am
When the agencies have too much money, they do stupid things
CIA parapsychology programs
https://www.vice.com/en/article/7k9qag/ ... to-the-cia
The military has by times become interested in individuals who have repeatedly demonstrated a heightened sense of where the enemy was, under conditions where the enemy position/action should not have been detectable by known human senses.

At a low level, it is sometimes taught that "If your sixth-sense/gut is telling you something is wrong, then something is wrong. Listen to it."
1. Is it what scientists determined, that our brains are hard-wired to detect eyes aimed at us.
2. Is it alarm-bells/spidey-senses triggering on sub-consciously noticed senses (possibly combined with some 'that shouldn't be there'), that were too low to gain concious notice.
3. Or sometimes something that would fall somewhere under parapsychology.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:49 pm

OAN & Newsmax successfully primary FOX from the right

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 533848001/

Nextgen New Speak.*
It will get interesting with AI targeting based on active mood sensing at the individual level as accepted in the user agreement.
*https://www.openculture.com/2017/01/geo ... works.html

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:33 pm

This will be dangerous to climb over if they're not secured adequately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOebX099dG4

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:52 am

Elliot wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:
While that may have greatly contributed to overall health and increasing life expectancy there is no protecting some people from themselves.

Return to “Open Discussion”