Fuckin' A

All things outside of Burning Man.
User avatar
Drawingablank
Posts: 2590
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp
Location: NY
Contact:

Fuckin' A

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:34 pm

I wasn't sure if we had a thread that is the opposite of the Fuck thread so I started this one for happier news.

Today I can finally get back to posting after a grueling 3 week move of my business. Even better - I can now go to work in my PJ's since I had to move the business back home. Hopefully this will get it back on track.

The only real down side is my home now looks like a hoarders paradise after moving about 30,000 products into it. There is stuff crammed in everywhere except the bedroom.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

User avatar
TomServo
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:17 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Fuckin' A!!! You should have a bonfire!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

User avatar
MyDearFriend
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha, congratulations DAB!
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

User avatar
edbrez
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 am
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit
Location: Ireland

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby edbrez » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Drawingablank wrote:I wasn't sure if we had a thread that is the opposite of the Fuck thread so I started this one for happier news.

Today I can finally get back to posting after a grueling 3 week move of my business. Even better - I can now go to work in my PJ's since I had to move the business back home. Hopefully this will get it back on track.

The only real down side is my home now looks like a hoarders paradise after moving about 30,000 products into it. There is stuff crammed in everywhere except the bedroom.


Congrats on the move, hope everything works out for you :)
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson

User avatar
illy dilly
Posts: 4900
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby illy dilly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Congrats DAB, and Good Job on the move!!!
Moving a business is miserable! But hopefully while packing you found some sell-able inventory, that was otherwise missing!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12427
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Glad to see you, DAB. :)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Time for a Happy Thread?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29105
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:50 pm

yay DAB!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Drawingablank
Posts: 2590
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks all.

Oh yeah time for a happy thread - forgot about that one. Guess I have been out of touch for too long.

A bonfire sounds great and I would like nothing better than a night outside with my playa coat, some EL wire, some PBRs, and my Poi, but it's been averaging about 20 degrees and windy here and and I might burn the house down if I make a fire big enough to stay warm in that.

Yes, we did find some sellable inventory that had been buried for years. Unfortunately our storage rooms were mostly junk that had accumulated over 13 years though - enough to fill about three 20 foot box trucks. The town's sanitation crews must have hated us last week, but at least I didn't have to pay to have it hauled away (nice to actually get some benefit from the 22k a year in property taxes they have been charging me).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
Posts: 16525
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:44 am

Fuck yeah, DAB, glad to hear you reached the milestone. I know it's bittersweet what with being tied to the closure of the storefront, but hooray for the move being complete and hooray for looking at the upside. Hopefully by concentrating on internet and other opportunities things will kick into gear for you quickly. FYI, I'm not sure how close to the city you are or how feasible it'd be for you, but I think Disorient's having a shindig on a paddle wheel boat later this month. Let me know and I can try and find out more and PM you the details.

User avatar
illy dilly
Posts: 4900
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby illy dilly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 am

WOW, Dab! Thats a lot of junk!
At least you found some sell-able stuff to add to inventory.
When we moved warehouses in the summer of 2011 we found tons of stuff that was either forgotten or thought lost. And a handful of tools that had been replaced or parts to tool kits that were thought useless because of the missing parts.
Shit, we even found an old cable tugger worth about $3k in a job box that hadn't been used in a couple years.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

User avatar
Drawingablank
Posts: 2590
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks Trilo, I am in the Disorient FB group so get all the updates. My dance card will be full for a while though trying to sort all this stuff and make the house livable again. Hopefully they will be doing Country Club again this year as I had a great time there last year and I will hopefully have some free time by then.

Illy, yah I only found about 600.00 worth of buried stuff but every little bit helps. Two thirds of the junk was surplus steel shelving, some of which I offered to local burners (they only took about 1% of it). The rest I gave to my sons friends to sell for scrap in exchange for hauling it away. It killed me - approximately 10k worth of shelving if purchased new (unsalable in this economy as the market is flooded), and they only got about 500.00 for it at .08 per pound at the scrap yard.

Oh and I just thought of another benefit - no customers walking in anymore so I can blast my music at work all day now.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

User avatar
illy dilly
Posts: 4900
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby illy dilly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Illy, yah I only found about 600.00 worth of buried stuff but every little bit helps. Two thirds of the junk was surplus steel shelving, some of which I offered to local burners (they only took about 1% of it). The rest I gave to my sons friends to sell for scrap in exchange for hauling it away. It killed me - approximately 10k worth of shelving if purchased new (unsalable in this economy as the market is flooded), and they only got about 500.00 for it at .08 per pound at the scrap yard.

Hey, a find is a find!
That stinks about the metal shelving!!!

Drawingablank wrote:Oh and I just thought of another benefit - no customers walking in anymore so I can blast my music at work all day now.

Damn Totten!!!

What is it that you sell?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

User avatar
mgb327
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Somerset, Va.

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby mgb327 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Congrats DAB, I know the feeling. I have been a full-time antique dealer for over 25 years....you wanna talk about a "product" stash? I got one. On a Fuckin' A! thread contribution, I sold my English military uniform button collection........yesterday!!!! Yay!!! I have been selling them for 8 years online, mostly European buyers. It was a fun/profitable ride, but it is now a side-phase of my life that is over. There were over 155,000 buttons. Took the buyer 2 trips in a big van. Imagine the space I now have in my "button room" to fill with.....more stuff! Fuckin' A!
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

User avatar
maryanimal
Posts: 4030
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby maryanimal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm glad you've gotten everything moved DAB. I can only see great things coming your way! This Spring I'll be hitting my storage spot (10'x20') and exhuming all the crap in it, saving what I really want, and having a yard sale with the rest. I want to be a minimalist again. I have a "project" I'm saving for! :wink:
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

User avatar
Drawingablank
Posts: 2590
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:55 am

illy dilly wrote:What is it that you sell?


I have a craft supply business that specializes in candle making, leather working / carving, and chocolate making supplies - basically artisan type crafts.

To help supplement the ailing supply business I also sell made stuff on etsy ranging from clothing, candle, stained glass, and Watah's tees.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

User avatar
TomServo
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:17 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby TomServo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:36 am

mgb327 wrote:Congrats DAB, I know the feeling. I have been a full-time antique dealer for over 25 years....you wanna talk about a "product" stash? I got one. On a Fuckin' A! thread contribution, I sold my English military uniform button collection........yesterday!!!! Yay!!! I have been selling them for 8 years online, mostly European buyers. It was a fun/profitable ride, but it is now a side-phase of my life that is over. There were over 155,000 buttons. Took the buyer 2 trips in a big van. Imagine the space I now have in my "button room" to fill with.....more stuff! Fuckin' A!



Fuckin' A! MGB! Do you specialize in militaria?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

User avatar
Drawingablank
Posts: 2590
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:46 am

Yeah, 155,000 buttons! What made you decide to bulk sell them? Taking up too much space relative to the income from smaller sales?
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29105
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:48 am

Drawingablank wrote:
illy dilly wrote:What is it that you sell?


I have a craft supply business that specializes in candle making, leather working / carving, and chocolate making supplies - basically artisan type crafts.

To help supplement the ailing supply business I also sell made stuff on etsy ranging from clothing, candle, stained glass, and Watah's tees.


I wanted to try some candle making, bought 400 lbs. of a couple different parafins and wick materail......and that's as far as it got....dang.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Drawingablank
Posts: 2590
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:21 am

ygmir wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:
illy dilly wrote:What is it that you sell?


I have a craft supply business that specializes in candle making, leather working / carving, and chocolate making supplies - basically artisan type crafts.

To help supplement the ailing supply business I also sell made stuff on etsy ranging from clothing, candle, stained glass, and Watah's tees.


I wanted to try some candle making, bought 400 lbs. of a couple different parafins and wick materail......and that's as far as it got....dang.

I have tons of online instructional material - I'll PM you the link.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

User avatar
MyDearFriend
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
ygmir wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:
I have a craft supply business that specializes in candle making, leather working / carving, and chocolate making supplies - basically artisan type crafts.

To help supplement the ailing supply business I also sell made stuff on etsy ranging from clothing, candle, stained glass, and Watah's tees.


I wanted to try some candle making, bought 400 lbs. of a couple different parafins and wick materail......and that's as far as it got....dang.

I have tons of online instructional material - I'll PM you the link.


Oh how exciting Yggy, you'll be able to set yourself on fire in the comfort of your lovely home. 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

User avatar
mgb327
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Somerset, Va.

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby mgb327 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:33 pm

I don't specialize in any venue, I just buy and sell stuff. I happened to be in the right place at the right time 9 years ago and bought the English button collection...at the time, there were 203,000 in the bunch, 302 different types. I have been selling them off and on since, made a very good profit over the years. I guess I just got tired of selling buttons, so I sold the entire lot to a friend. We figured there were 155,00 left. He is now a seller of military buttons. I did just fine. I was really bored with them. Fun for a few years, and then turned into a "job". I am a dealer in antiques, buy and sell everything. Even cars, boats and planes. Whatever is fun and profitable.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12427
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Fuckin' A

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
ygmir wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:
I have a craft supply business that specializes in candle making, leather working / carving, and chocolate making supplies - basically artisan type crafts.

To help supplement the ailing supply business I also sell made stuff on etsy ranging from clothing, candle, stained glass, and Watah's tees.


I wanted to try some candle making, bought 400 lbs. of a couple different parafins and wick materail......and that's as far as it got....dang.

I have tons of online instructional material - I'll PM you the link.


MyDearFriend wrote:Oh how exciting Yggy, you'll be able to set yourself on fire in the comfort of your lovely home. 8)


:lol:

mgb327 wrote:I don't specialize in any venue, I just buy and sell stuff. I happened to be in the right place at the right time 9 years ago and bought the English button collection...at the time, there were 203,000 in the bunch, 302 different types. I have been selling them off and on since, made a very good profit over the years. I guess I just got tired of selling buttons, so I sold the entire lot to a friend. We figured there were 155,00 left. He is now a seller of military buttons. I did just fine. I was really bored with them. Fun for a few years, and then turned into a "job". I am a dealer in antiques, buy and sell everything. Even cars, boats and planes. Whatever is fun and profitable.


mgb327, you really know how to live. :)


Return to “Open Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests