Minimum Wage and the Economy

All things outside of Burning Man.
BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Min Wage

Post by BBadger » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Detroit was already beginning its death spiral in the 1960s. The rats left early, blaming the people still on board for the failures of an already failed city born out of the war-boom bust.

In the end the real reason for the decline of the city was not about race, but that the city's working population became increasingly irrelevant. Detroit has huge exports, but people don't build cars anymore; robots do. We're just that much more efficient these days, and it's the same with nearly all domestic manufacturing. Couple that with expensive unions that prevent new blood from joining up and encourage the use of machinery over human workers, and you've got a recipe for a tax base that can't support its own services. So people who could leave, did, weaving this story that race or education was to blame, when the real reasons were the same as their own reasons for leaving.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Box Burner

Re: Does your theme camp embrace racial diversity?

Post by Box Burner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:22 pm

OK. Just a comment. On the Racial thing. I don't think Race is the problem. I met a (black) man who moved to the U.S. from South Africa. He was offended by the first bunch of blacks that he met here and soon would have nothing to do with them. Problem was that they were all trying to show him the best ways to get "free" government handouts. Welfare, food stamps, etc. He said he did not come to America to become a beggar. He came here to Make something of himself. Since then I have met whites (and other races too!) who think that it is all important for you to know how to get handouts and go to great lengths to get them. And also think you are a fool if you don't. Why work if you can get it for free, huh?

Race is not the problem. Culture, or rather the lack of it is.

Again this was an isolated incident and ymmv.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:27 pm

Box Burner wrote:OK. Just a comment. On the Racial thing. I don't think Race is the problem. I met a (black) man who moved to the U.S. from South Africa. He was offended by the first bunch of blacks that he met here and soon would have nothing to do with them. Problem was that they were all trying to show him the best ways to get "free" government handouts. Welfare, food stamps, etc. He said he did not come to America to become a beggar. He came here to Make something of himself. Since then I have met whites (and other races too!) who think that it is all important for you to know how to get handouts and go to great lengths to get them. And also think you are a fool if you don't. Why work if you can get it for free, huh?

Well, if you actually look at the statistics, it was an extremely isolated incidence. But let's not let facts get in the way.
FYI you are not helping the conversation.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:56 pm

jkisha wrote:Well, if you actually look at the statistics, it was an extremely isolated incidence. But let's not let facts get in the way.
Problem is, people will look at anisolated incident that is for all practical purposes an anamoly and use that as their baseline. Public assistance pretty much breaks down along ethnic popualtion %'s in terms of who is drawing benefits. Another fact that most people really have a hard time with is that approx 80% of those on public assistance are gainfully employeed.

Wage stagnation has left most hourly, service sector employees living well below the poverty line. it is a delicious paradox in that the same people complaining the loudest about their taxes being "wasted" on the poor also happen to be the same people that have seen their incomes increase substantially and who also happen to be in charge of setting the pay scales of their employees who are the beneficieries of those same tax dollars.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

Elderberry

Min Wage

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:16 am

CapSmashy wrote:
jkisha wrote:Well, if you actually look at the statistics, it was an extremely isolated incidence. But let's not let facts get in the way.
Problem is, people will look at anisolated incident that is for all practical purposes an anamoly and use that as their baseline. Public assistance pretty much breaks down along ethnic popualtion %'s in terms of who is drawing benefits. Another fact that most people really have a hard time with is that approx 80% of those on public assistance are gainfully employeed.

Wage stagnation has left most hourly, service sector employees living well below the poverty line. it is a delicious paradox in that the same people complaining the loudest about their taxes being "wasted" on the poor also happen to be the same people that have seen their incomes increase substantially and who also happen to be in charge of setting the pay scales of their employees who are the beneficieries of those same tax dollars.
There was just a report released (I believe by AP) within the last few days confirming exactly what you stated.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Box Burner

Min Wage

Post by Box Burner » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:39 pm

jkisha wrote:
Box Burner wrote:OK. Just a comment. On the Racial thing. I don't think Race is the problem. I met a (black) man who moved to the U.S. from South Africa. He was offended by the first bunch of blacks that he met here and soon would have nothing to do with them. Problem was that they were all trying to show him the best ways to get "free" government handouts. Welfare, food stamps, etc. He said he did not come to America to become a beggar. He came here to Make something of himself. Since then I have met whites (and other races too!) who think that it is all important for you to know how to get handouts and go to great lengths to get them. And also think you are a fool if you don't. Why work if you can get it for free, huh?

Well, if you actually look at the statistics, it was an extremely isolated incidence. But let's not let facts get in the way.
FYI you are not helping the conversation.
You are right. The OP asked "Does your theme camp embrace racial diversity?" and most of this thread has little to do with that. My comment was to the thread drift and is from a conversation with said gentleman 30 years ago. I did not take a poll to see what the percentages were. It is just one facet, that I have observed over time, of a many faceted issue. I do not use it as a baseline. Smashy however has made a very good observation.

CapSmashy wrote:
Problem is, people will look at an isolated incident that is for all practical purposes an anomaly and use that as their baseline. Public assistance pretty much breaks down along ethnic population %'s in terms of who is drawing benefits. Another fact that most people really have a hard time with is that approx 80% of those on public assistance are gainfully employed.

I saw an interview with a senator who stated that if the minimum wage had kept up with productivity it would be about $22.50 now.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:04 pm

Box Burner wrote: I saw an interview with a senator who stated that if the minimum wage had kept up with productivity it would be about $22.50 now.
Yup. Must have been Bernie Sanders. And the worst part of it is that the only reason employers can get away with paying people sub-poverty wages is because the government will subsidize those employees wages with food stamps and other aide. Which, in essence, is corporate welfare.

But to get back to the original topic, I have never seen any discrimination on the playa whether it be race, sexual orientation, or anything actually, with the possible exception of hippies.
JK

BBadger

Min Wage

Post by BBadger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:47 pm

CapSmashy wrote:Wage stagnation has left most hourly, service sector employees living well below the poverty line. it is a delicious paradox in that the same people complaining the loudest about their taxes being "wasted" on the poor also happen to be the same people that have seen their incomes increase substantially and who also happen to be in charge of setting the pay scales of their employees who are the beneficieries of those same tax dollars.
I don't find that a paradox at all. In fact, it seem more like the same pattern of thought: not wanting to pay more. I'd find it more bemusing if the employers wished to pay employees less, but we more willing to pay taxes to make up for it. Then it's more of a zero-sum game.
Box Burner wrote:I saw an interview with a senator who stated that if the minimum wage had kept up with productivity it would be about $22.50 now.
In many ways it has, but for those sectors where productivity matches levels the senator describes. That is different, however, than the government-mandated minimum-wage which corresponds to the lowest-common denominator of employment. That level of employment does not contribute much to the productivity gains we've seen in the past century. So I would not want to see minimum wages raised much, as it would effectively make a worker at the minimum-level too expensive to employ.

As for the high-productivity, we've also seen the effects of that productivity: the more productive a single worker is, the less work there is to go around, and the fewer jobs. Look at Detroit: the city is as productive as ever, but the job market is bottomed out. Likewise, America is as productive as ever, the most productive nation on earth, still more than even China. But where are those jobs? Automation. The worker of today is not the manufacturing laborer, but rather the well-trained technician who operates the high-tech machines. I thought this article by The Atlantic covered the difficult situation well. The "minimum" bar has raised, but not all ships raise with that tide. That well-trained technician is paid well, on par with the productivity, but there are only a few such technicians.

Compare this to China, where "automation" comes in the form of wage workers. Still, even in China these laborers are becoming obsolete, and will continue to do so as they become more expensive to employ. It's an evil cycle. Foxconn's employee suicides and other such protests may result in improved benefits for employees in the short term, but in the long term (or even near term) the ultimate solution is to simply move away from paid labor to machines. This potentially spells disaster for China's stability as its population wishes to see the gains made from economic growth. The same problems may also spell disaster for the US.
Lonesomebri wrote:Can't we all for once just pretend we are all the same color, no race?

Let's say, Green, and then we can segragate into light green and dark green camps.
How about grey vs green? Like the regulars vs. moderators?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

DrewDubious
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Post by DrewDubious » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:50 pm

BBadger wrote: In many ways it has,

It really hasn't. I think the minimum wage in AUS is like 15-18usd/h

coincidentally they have a lower crime rate than the US has, or so I read.

If you took the minimum wage in the US in 1968 and converted that to 2012 currency rates, the 1968 minimum wage was 10.51$/h the highest minimum wage today is 9.19$/h
Last edited by DrewDubious on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:42 pm

DrewDubious wrote:
BBadger wrote: In many ways it has,
It really hasn't. I think the minimum wage in AUS is like 15-18usd/h
Reread what I wrote. I was talking about matching productivity levels to the wage, not the mandatory minimum-wages that are applied to the lowest common denominator of skills. Some kid flipping burgers at McDonalds doesn't deserve $15-18/hr in pay; there is a very low productivity level for that job and skill-set. If that were the required minimum, you wouldn't see kids working there, but people making a career out of the job, with fewer positions, fewer new hires, more investment in automation, and the kid remaining unemployed.

It's like what I ask when people bitch that Walmart doesn't match Costco's wage and benefit levels: then why doesn't everyone work at Costco? Because there are limits to the number of jobs. When the higher-paying jobs run out, what are left are the less-well-paying jobs. Generally the required skill-set goes down as well, and the productivity too. So people end up working at Walmart.

Also if you use purchasing power parity -- i.e. normalizing on the amount of goods that can purchased by what you earn -- the Australian minimum wage buys you roughly $9.50 versus the $7.25 the US minimum wage buys you (2011 min wage, OECD stats). Not far off really, and only about 5% of US low-skilled workers earn that amount.

It is ridiculous to try and match minimum-wages to averaged productivity levels. They're not dependent. Rather, wages should reflect the productivity level. The minimum-wage should be set to the wage/productivity equilibrium point for the lowest-common denominator of skills. That's what minimum-wages are supposed to ensure.
coincidentally they have a lower crime rate than the US has, or so I read.
Probably true, but then it's an entirely different demographic, population size, economy, and history. It's like trying to compare states in the US: one or two factors alone -- like small differences in minimum wages -- aren't going to tell the story.
If you took the minimum wage in the US in 1968 and converted that to 2012 currency rates, the 1968 minimum wage was 10.51$/h the highest minimum wage today is 9.19$/h
Yes, but in 1968 the economy was different too. In 1968, a worker of minimum skill-sets had more valuable skills. Nowadays such labor is less valuable, and it is priced accordingly.

It used to be that a high school diploma could get you a decent paying job. My grandfather dropped out of high school, but had a good paying job operating a machine that milled precision screws. Now those screws are produced by the millions by automated machines. Even the lowest common denominator has been raised. You can't pay an American a liveable wage for some previous forms of employable labor. Education isn't the same as it was either. Non-STEM-degree college graduates are a dime a dozen these days -- the high-school grad of previous decades. Soon even the STEM-graduates will feel the squeeze too.

If the inflation adjusted minimum wage has gone down, it is only because some low-skill jobs still exist and are priced accordingly. Still, most people will not be employed at that minimum pay level (only 5% are in the US).

Elderberry

Minimum Wage and the Economy

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:20 pm

BBadger wrote:
Reread what I wrote. I was talking about matching productivity levels to the wage, not the mandatory minimum-wages that are applied to the lowest common denominator of skills. Some kid flipping burgers at McDonalds doesn't deserve $15-18/hr in pay; there is a very low productivity level for that job and skill-set. If that were the required minimum, you wouldn't see kids working there, but people making a career out of the job, with fewer positions, fewer new hires, more investment in automation, and the kid remaining unemployed.

Actually, there are people trying to support families on those jobs. They often work two of them. In a country as rich as ours, nobody should ever have to work at a wage much below $15.00 per hour. My feeling is that maybe if you can't afford to pay employees a livable wage, maybe you can't afford to be an employer.

One of the biggest forms of corporate welfare is the enabling companies to hire at a poverty wage because the government then subsidizes those employees via welfare and food stamps, even though they are working but earning a wage that still is below the poverty level.
JK

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 pm

complicated one there JK. I know lots of small business owners. many like small cafe's and service businesses, can't pay and more and don't make much more, themselves. The competition is fierce, so much so that no one does very well. But, if they had to charge 15 bucks for a cheeseburger, they'd be out of business.
To me, the question, at times, is about whether a job, is better than no job.
Labor prices are driven down by not only competition, but as you point out, gov. welfare, that allows less cost for employees.
But if the Gov. didn't do that, and the "company" had to pay a lot more, prices would of course rise and we'd sit here and bitch about things costing so muchmore..........how do you win?
and, can you ever have a society, without the three levels of existence.?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:31 am

im splitting this thread off as it seems we've got to a point where the discussing has parted ways from the original question.

you can catch the 'should people be paid at all' discussion in the 'dust-bin of history' forum.
Don't link to anything here!

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:23 am

Bring me back to my former employer. She would pay her desk girls at the salon roughly $4 and hour. Because that buiness made under $200,000 a year she was not required to pay fed min wage. And because her buiness made under $150,000 a year she was not required to pay state min wage. So she could pay what ever she wanted. Her husband owned a pretty large chiropractic office and made buko bucks. They had two houses, two plots of land, 4 cars, private sports lesions for her three kids... So on and so on. But she refused to pay even main wage cause of then loop hole law. She owned that buiness, and her husband the other. No llc or anything. One employee begged to be put on insurance ( the chiropractic office had insurance, it covered the one employee they had) but she refused and said she couldn't afford it. This lady was living off $5 and hour (she had been there for two years) and was severely diabetic and used a pump. But she said nope. So she was forced to leave the salon cause she needed medical or more money as a nessesity to take care of her health.
There would be many many times were me and other girl would sit 6-8 hours with out a client. We were not allowed to leave or would face threats of termination and with the contracts we were in could not work in another salon with in 90 miles for 6 months of leaving or being fired. So we were stuck, we would sit there all day and not be paid at all. (We were on 50% commission) so some months for 5 days a week all month I would bring home 300-400 a month. I had one weekly paycheck that was $30.
Any ways, there are people out there that want to work but buinesses, corps ,ect have gotten so greedy that hey refuse to pay their employees a living wage. I am lucky that the bosses I have now at least pay me a good wage as a bartender. $6 an hour plus tips. Some that I know make $2.25-$4.00 an hour.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

5280MeV

Post by 5280MeV » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:08 am

lemur already provided the best answer to this issue that I have ever seen from OHTONY:
lemur wrote:comedian and burner OHTONY brings up the subject of why he thinks black people do/dont go to burning man..

http://www.ohtony.com/burner-tales-from-the-playa-2/
So until someone has some sort of rebuttal or additional comment to add, why not talk about minimum wage?

The economists are always split on the issue of minimum wage increases (see, for example: http://www.economist.com/news/united-st ... -economics) but I would argue that a reasonably high minimum wage makes us a less miserable people, reduces the number of required jobs as less people need to work three jobs, and I don't really give a shit if 15 year olds can find a summer job in the first place. If their parents are not destitute, they can go intern somewhere or volunteer.

Furthermore, I do not want some surly teenager slopping together my hamburger. I don't want someone in poverty without healthcare putting together my burger because such people are prone to illness. I want healthy, happy people who make enough money to care about their job and take pride in their work putting together my hamburger.

Doubling the cost of labor does not double the cost of the hamburger, in fact I am willing to bet the increase is not more than 20-30% if you pay workers $15/hour and give them access to healthcare. Who knows, they might actually keep the place clean. The extra 20-30% is worth it to me to have a burger prepared by someone who is less likely to be sick and more likely to care about the basic quality of their work.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:58 am

ygmir wrote:complicated one there JK. I know lots of small business owners. many like small cafe's and service businesses, can't pay and more and don't make much more, themselves. The competition is fierce, so much so that no one does very well. But, if they had to charge 15 bucks for a cheeseburger, they'd be out of business.
Labor prices are driven down by not only competition, but as you point out, gov. welfare, that allows less cost for employees.
But if the Gov. didn't do that, and the "company" had to pay a lot more, prices would of course rise and we'd sit here and bitch about things costing so muchmore..........how do you win?
For simplicity sake, let me ask how you'd feel about the $15.00 minimum wage if it was only for corporations making over $500 million annually in profit?
JK

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:00 am

Well said.
5280MeV wrote:lemur already provided the best answer to this issue that I have ever seen from OHTONY:
lemur wrote:comedian and burner OHTONY brings up the subject of why he thinks black people do/dont go to burning man..

http://www.ohtony.com/burner-tales-from-the-playa-2/
So until someone has some sort of rebuttal or additional comment to add, why not talk about minimum wage?

The economists are always split on the issue of minimum wage increases (see, for example: http://www.economist.com/news/united-st ... -economics) but I would argue that a reasonably high minimum wage makes us a less miserable people, reduces the number of required jobs as less people need to work three jobs, and I don't really give a shit if 15 year olds can find a summer job in the first place. If their parents are not destitute, they can go intern somewhere or volunteer.

Furthermore, I do not want some surly teenager slopping together my hamburger. I don't want someone in poverty without healthcare putting together my burger because such people are prone to illness. I want healthy, happy people who make enough money to care about their job and take pride in their work putting together my hamburger.

Doubling the cost of labor does not double the cost of the hamburger, in fact I am willing to bet the increase is not more than 20-30% if you pay workers $15/hour and give them access to healthcare. Who knows, they might actually keep the place clean. The extra 20-30% is worth it to me to have a burger prepared by someone who is less likely to be sick and more likely to care about the basic quality of their work.
JK

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:24 am

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:complicated one there JK. I know lots of small business owners. many like small cafe's and service businesses, can't pay and more and don't make much more, themselves. The competition is fierce, so much so that no one does very well. But, if they had to charge 15 bucks for a cheeseburger, they'd be out of business.
For simplicity sake, let me ask how you'd feel about the $15.00 minimum wage if it was only for corporations making over $500 million annually in profit?
it so conflicts me, since I abhor gov. interference in private affairs.
That said, I know it's necessary, since everyone is not fair, or even close.
As a theory, I could see mandated levels of minimum wage, related to profit. Of course, accountants and such can make any number work they want.
I could, though, envision a "mandated profit sharing", for long term employees.
IE: if the company makes over a set percentage of profit (to be determined individually, based on conditions of a particular industry), they share equally, with employees.

It would then act as incentive, IMHO.
folks knowing, the more profit the company makes, the more, and more likely, they are to get some of it.
And, it'd keep a general wage, from bankrupting anyone.
A business has to be able to run an "emergency fund" to cover unexpected costs or product slumps or whatever.
People see this, and say "look they have too much, we want more". Well, when something goes really wrong, you gotta have that to deal with it.

as an example:
When I had helpers, in the days I was making granite counter tops and such, I'd pay them a wage. Not super high, but I thought fair.
But, at the end of the job, I'd check the profit after allowing for all costs and such of work, give the company a cerain profit, and then share with them, what was left.
it made happy folks, and we'd tend to make fewer mistakes, or unnecessary waste, because they knew more profit made for more to them, too.

I'm sure that's dreaming, but, to me, that's the way to ensure survival. Pay a certain, fair wage, but share excess profit.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 am

5280MeV wrote:
Just look at In and Out Burger compared to some of the others. Just look at Costco compared to Walmart and Sam's Club. http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2 ... u-pay-for/
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 am

I read an interesting blog post, I believe on a blog call "the Hobbsian" (I googled, but could not find it.) It suggested that blatant unfairness provokes instability, and that a higher minimum wage might be worth paying in terms of avoidance of social costs, despite the narrow reading that would describe it as uneconomic.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Minimum Wage and the Economy

Post by Eric » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:29 pm

I've split off the minimum wage discussion as smoothly as possible (which isn't that smoothly) and moved it to Open Discussion.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I read an interesting blog post, I believe on a blog call "the Hobbsian" (I googled, but could not find it.) It suggested that blatant unfairness provokes instability, and that a higher minimum wage might be worth paying in terms of avoidance of social costs, despite the narrow reading that would describe it as uneconomic.
theCryptofishist wrote:Ah, here it is...
Very good article Fishy!

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 pm

FYI that employment contract would not hold up in court. She can't stipulate 90 miles or really anything that could prevent you from earning a living within a reasonable distance from your home and her shop. Five miles, possibly 10 would be all that she could enforce. You could quit, apply at another salon and she couldn't stop you. If she tried, all you'd have to do is call the labor board. Years ago I had several employees under such contracts. They decided to quit and open up a competing business ten miles away. The employment contract stipulated 25 miles. I lost in court, the judge saying it was too far and he deemed 10 miles to be reasonable. YMMV
tattoogoddess wrote:Bring me back to my former employer. She would pay her desk girls at the salon roughly $4 and hour. Because that buiness made under $200,000 a year she was not required to pay fed min wage. And because her buiness made under $150,000 a year she was not required to pay state min wage. So she could pay what ever she wanted. Her husband owned a pretty large chiropractic office and made buko bucks. They had two houses, two plots of land, 4 cars, private sports lesions for her three kids... So on and so on. But she refused to pay even main wage cause of then loop hole law. She owned that buiness, and her husband the other. No llc or anything. One employee begged to be put on insurance ( the chiropractic office had insurance, it covered the one employee they had) but she refused and said she couldn't afford it. This lady was living off $5 and hour (she had been there for two years) and was severely diabetic and used a pump. But she said nope. So she was forced to leave the salon cause she needed medical or more money as a nessesity to take care of her health.
There would be many many times were me and other girl would sit 6-8 hours with out a client. We were not allowed to leave or would face threats of termination and with the contracts we were in could not work in another salon with in 90 miles for 6 months of leaving or being fired. So we were stuck, we would sit there all day and not be paid at all. (We were on 50% commission) so some months for 5 days a week all month I would bring home 300-400 a month. I had one weekly paycheck that was $30.
Any ways, there are people out there that want to work but buinesses, corps ,ect have gotten so greedy that hey refuse to pay their employees a living wage. I am lucky that the bosses I have now at least pay me a good wage as a bartender. $6 an hour plus tips. Some that I know make $2.25-$4.00 an hour.
JK

Return to “Open Discussion”