DON"T RENT an RV from CruiseAmerica

All things outside of Burning Man.

Did you Rent an RV from Cruise America and what was your experience?

Excellent
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Good
No votes
Good
No votes
Fair
No votes
Fair
No votes
Poor
25%
Poor
25%
They are as sleezy as described above
25%
They are as sleezy as described above
25%

Total votes: 4

dmorrisburningman

DON"T RENT an RV from CruiseAmerica

Post by dmorrisburningman » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:46 pm

I rented an RV from Cruise America and had a horrible experience. The charged us $130 for bumper damage we didn't do and charged us $500 for cleaning even though we cleaned the RV ourselves for 10 person hours prior to return.

On the bumper, they had backed the RV up against the fence when I picked it up. As such, I didn't really see tha back side. I drove the RV a block to get gas so I could see if the generator worked. When I was getting gas, I noticed that the bumper was bent. I drove back to the RV place and said that is was fine for me to drive with a bent bumper, but I didn't want to be charged for it. They said that because I had already signed the papers saying there was no damage, then I was legally responsible even though I didn't do the damage.

As far as gas, they have a slimy policy of getting free gas for themselves. They give you the RV with an almost empty tank and they tell you that's it's fine to return it with an almost empty tank. But the problem is two-fold. One, you don't want to run out of gas so you are conservative about returning it more than empty. And two, if you return it with less gas than you took it out with, they charge you a large premium for the used gas. thus you almost always return it with more gas than you took it out with. That means they get free gas.. about 7 gallons in our case.

I rented from the Cruise America Oakland location. Never rent from them. These people are less than honest.

vulgaris

Post by vulgaris » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:58 pm

I would definetly like to hear more on this, as every other RV I saw was a Cruise America RV.

jimbobby

Post by jimbobby » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:00 pm

learned not to rent from those fucks my first year

sent us out with bald tires

blowouts on 447 suck

let el monte be your guide

bradDaDad

Post by bradDaDad » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:31 pm

Everyone does it once. Just drive down the road a short distance to El Monte. They are Burner friendly and charge 1/3 the deposit.

cooch

CROOKS AMONGUS, er Cruise Americus sucks

Post by cooch » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:00 pm

beware all:
I was the victim of a Cruise America bumper tear off. After a week of trying to reach their "claims" person I have still not reached a human contact from these crooks. The driver was a nice lady in my camp, but boy was she deceived by taking out insurance w/ C.A. stay tuned. Boycott the muthers and spare all yer brothers the grief in the future. :evil:
Cooch, from Planet Wow

cooch

CROOKS AMONGUS, er Cruise Americus sucks

Post by cooch » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:00 pm

beware all:
I was the victim of a Cruise America bumper tear off. After a week of trying to reach their "claims" person I have still not reached a human contact from these crooks. The driver was a nice lady in my camp, but boy was she deceived by taking out insurance w/ C.A. stay tuned. Boycott the muthers and spare all yer brothers the grief in the future. :evil:
Cooch, from Planet Wow

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:57 pm

It's second hand info but on the way back to KC I ran into 2 burners returning a Cruise America RV to Salt Lake City. I asked them about the RV and their experience and the RV had given them fits with a tire that had a bolt in it...delays getting said tire fixed, a balky generator, and a roof that leaked. I immediately suggested they ask for a partial refund and they planned to do just that.

I've seen tons of Cruise America RV's out there but this is not the first time I've heard stories like this. I think the advice to steer clear is good...especially if El Monte charges less on the deposits and is more burner friendly. Business goes where it's appreciated and stays where it's welcome....if the fuckers don't understand that they have problems, show them...express yourself by using your feet to walk your pocketbook somewhere else.

Discosybil

Post by Discosybil » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:19 pm

RV's are getting harder to rent for Burning Man. There have been stories of U'hauls and other RVs being painted, etc plus brought back in terrible conditions. I think you're lucky to have found a place that would actually rent to burners.
I agree, it's a bummer to go out with bald tires etc, but that's what contracts are for. You need to look for damage, take note before you sign. I'm not standing up for them but I feel with all the agencys that don't rent out at least they do. Even if they charge an arm and a leg for cleaning.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:36 pm

Buy a used one. Check Craig's List, want ads, Free Ads, your local government auction yard. It'll probably pay for itself after two or three years of renting and you'll have free rein to do whatever improvements you want/need to it. Renting anything is a scam.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:34 am

My lawyer once advised me... "if it flies, floats or fucks... rent, don't buy"

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:27 am

My Brother rented from Cruise America once (for BM) they had these nice new RV's that they showed him when going over size and amenities. When he came to pick up the RV they wheeled out this 12 year old clunker. He scoffed and demanded a newer one, they said they were all out, He ended up walking off the lot and so they called him and offered a 50% discount. He spent 8 hours cleaning the RV and they tried to hold back his security deposit, but he was able to use their first mistake as leverage (and the fact that the RV was immaculate).

I'm sorry to say that I still believe renting an RV from any company is going to be a ripoff, it's just too much $$$, and too much hassle. You're still going to be filthy at the end of the week, just embrace the dust.

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:01 am

Chai Guy wrote:I'm sorry to say that I still believe renting an RV from any company is going to be a ripoff, it's just too much $$$, and too much hassle. You're still going to be filthy at the end of the week, just embrace the dust.
This too, has been my experience...

Layne

hmm

Post by Layne » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:47 pm

RV4FUN in Reno kicks major ass!!! I've rented an RV the past few years, They are SUPER burner friendly and I will be renting from them for every burn. Easy to rent, very cool, and easy to clean and re-fuel. Made my burn this year that much better with such a kick ass crew.

Couple things - do not use the bathroom EVER - great changing room good
place for storage use the port-a-potties

Don't use the shower until your last couple of days. Sun showers rock and
it again is a great place for storing costumes.

Limit the number of people you allow to three. It's absolutely the perfect
number.
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan

dixie

Don't rent from Family RV in San Jose either!

Post by dixie » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:49 pm

We're having terrible trouble with FamilyRV in San Jose as well. Promised a 2005 model and actually got a piece of crap old model with dirty carpets and upholstery, cracked windshield, non functional CD players and only 3 working seatbelts (we had 5 kids in the thing). Put 16 woman hours into cleaning inside and out on return. Now they've withheld $900 from our deposit for miscelaneous cleaning and repairs. Total ripoff, bill padded like crazy. Ass of a manager. Don't go there.

Return to “Open Discussion”