BURNING MAN 2005

All things outside of Burning Man.
Rabbi Dali Rick

BURNING MAN 2005

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:11 pm

Ok... Fuck the past let's look to the future. Any idea's for theme camps? Costumes? Art Cars? Gifting stuff? How are you going to make next year better?

quizically
the rebbi

bradDaDad

the past gets old quick...if not sooner

Post by bradDaDad » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:26 pm

1) Home Depot dust masks made of paper?
That's twice in a row that I used those. Not smart.
I will use a respirator modification to suit my 2005
getup. How about respirators that glow in the dark?
In Star Wars there were several examples of fashionable
respirators. It's a mask that looks badass, is functional, yet
doesn't leave you looking like a Mardi Gras tourist that has
gotten lost in the desert. Don't get me wrong, I'm not
denouncing radical self expression with my dress code canon...
heheh...just trying to improve on common sense as it
applies to the desert.

With that said, masochism has it's place to.
Playa cough can be fashionable with those in the know.

2) Structures. I have my favorite, and that is the yurt.
A great value/investment for those people that would use it
enough to get their money/sweat-equity out of it. If you think
that you will go to BM, let's say, three times, then I think it
would be worth it.

It folds up to a size that I think would fit in small UHAUL, but
don't quote me on that. One strong person, or two average
strength humans could set it up in 3hrs or so. If done properly,
it will withstand any winds that the playa throws at it. If you
have a 14ft diameter Yurt with 4 people and it costs you 2500
dollars spread out over 3 years, then it doesn't seem all that
expensive. Yes, this is idealism, but hey, I make squat $ for
an income and I will have one for next year.

Plastic flapping in the wind and watching ones shorts fly in
the wind at 60mph is truly entertaining for those of us that
are bit sadistic and aren't living next door to said victim.

Oh, ohhhh, *’Welcome Back Kotter’-like grunting*.... let me
add this. Anyone come up with a space age material Yurt,
please let me know, because I would love to build one if
t is an improvement on the canvas.

3) Idea for the welathy among us. Bring an oxygen bar!
I will volunteer some hours work if you want.

4) A safe place for people losing their minds. Why send
someone to the medics where there are cops. Let's face it,
the "mental hygeine" medic tents for someone flipping out
seems a little harsh. How about a no talking, safe place.
here might be one already, I'm not sure, but if you
have ever had a phobic attack, you know exactly what
I am talking about.

5) Patty Wagon with bars for the fashion police.

Anyway, I don't see any lack of "radical self expression"
in getting together with people and making improvements.

Wordy, long-winded, and idealistic? Naaw,
I'm just having a coffee induced pseudo intellectual
moment.

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:45 am

I'm planning an art car, although I'm still waiting to see what '05's theme is going to be (Beyond Morals? The Old Shell Game? Leave It On Beaver?) before I finalize it...

And while I'm on the subject of art cars: what good is an art car that cannot carry a shitload of passengers? I rode the Playa Cruiser with about ten other people and it was a blast! The Captain rocks! Then I would see one and two person carts and think "Where is the sense of community in that?" My thought is that an art car should be shared with a bunch of riders.

As for shelter, I have found that these folks, http://www.strombergschickens.com/starp ... _index.htm have a great idea. For a few bucks, and a small amount of labor, you can have a good frame that would support anything from a parachute to tin siding. The price is right. It's what I planned for this year but a time/money thing got in the way. Next year.

Also, next year my bicycle will be just a little more artsy than it was this year. Of course, I could paint the handlebars blue and make it more artsy than it was this year.

Yup. Back less than a week, and already I'm making plans.
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

geekster

Post by geekster » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:53 pm

I would like to find some kind of childrens sized dust mask. A few times during the whiteouts I saw some kids (SMALL children) on the explanade in agony from the dust. I wished I had a little mask to give to them. Maybe I will have to make them myself.

I have an idea for a piece of art, but I have no talent in sculpting. I guess I will have to make do with trippy, blinky shit and color somehow.

As for shelter, I am interested in the new polystyrene building materials available. I would think the panels could be loaded flat in a truck, unloaded and a structure bolted together in short order. This is what I am talking about:

http://www.thermapanel.net/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3528716.stm

If anyone might want to explore this with me, let me know.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

icebox

Post by icebox » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:47 pm

Handkerchiefs work as well as dust masks/regulators, I've found. They are less bulky, they can double as sun protection for your neck and you can put ice/cold water on them to cool you down (the back of the neck is a prime regulator of your bodily temperature apparently -- and supposedly the seat of the soul, but that's a whole other topic). Plus, the bandit cowboy look is much cooler than the apocalyptic NWO mercenary riot patrol look of a respirator, IMHO. Especially on those innocent little children out there. The apocalypse is so, like, 2001. We're lookin' towards 2005 here, people!

GuinivereElise

Post by GuinivereElise » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:04 pm

Here here regarding the scarves...

I wore a long chiffon piece of fabric round my head during the day, to kep the sun off, around my neck at night, to keep the heat in, and it was perfect for the sudden little dust storms to protect my lungs, and even my eyes, in a pinch. Plus, they are great to play with, fun to entangle cute passersby in, look great flowing behind you in the wind, and are soft on the skin.

It will definitely be a staple of my playagear next year.

bradDaDad

Post by bradDaDad » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:26 pm

I can clearly see the error in my thinking. Bandanas
are really now.

Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie!
Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie!

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:02 pm

hey I saw that guy at the Death Guild
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

icebox

Post by icebox » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:33 pm

Yes, the bandanas definitely belong over the mouths of those fellas.

... but then we have the raider's lovely friends like this....
nothing says a party like gettin' down in a bomb shelter! Are those radioactive glowsticks? Cool!

RebA!

Re: BURNING MAN 2005

Post by RebA! » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:36 pm

Rabbi Dali Rick wrote:Ok... Fuck the past let's look to the future. Any idea's for theme camps? Costumes? Art Cars? Gifting stuff? How are you going to make next year better?

quizically
the rebbi
IF.. thats it.. IF.. (i go)

As far as making next year better (seeing above) giving every fuckin yahoo frat boy a kick in the parts would make me feel better.. can you work on that for me .. to get them lined up
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner

calsur

Post by calsur » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:11 am

Way smaller camp.

Smaller grill.

Less reliance on fresh food.

Basically less of everything. I took 10 changes of clothes and used 3. But all 10 need to be cleaned as my dustproof container was not dustproof

The dust is something you have to experiance to appreciate.

Plus the wind on Monday and Tuesday really wiped me out.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:14 am

Here's my idea for a theme camp/village.

Theme camp is called "The Usurpery." Ideally, I'd like it placed in the ring around center camp, where "Orion's Belt" was this year. Going off of someone's suggestion, we'd spend time on a rotating shift passing out coffee (just basic coffee with sugar or soy milk) and tea (same deal). Samples should be taken to Center Camp and passed out. The village should be called "Subvert" and it's mission would be to hurt the success of commerce in Center Camp and as so many have expressed a desire for, give CC back to the community. Hopefully, the village would include rather a lot of people. Passing out beverages on this sort of scale is going to take a lot of funding as well as man power. With a lot of folks sharing the load, though, it wouldn't be that big a problem.

Anyone interested, feel free to pm me. Now is the time to start planning.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Rabbi Dali Rick

.......Bring you're own cup or use you're hands....

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:39 am

Java Camp cool, I would stop buying coffee at center camp.

Suggustions:
Rent/buy the large capacity machines.

Send request to the coffe manufactures, major coffee chains, food distribution/resturant supply companies, tell them what you are trying to do and ask for supply donations.

Coffee grounds and grey water problems can solved withheavy duty trash barrels with the liners. JTry contacting a florist for some local growers who would love to have all of those beautiful coffee grounds for their plants, especially for free.

Other peoples trash is inevitable, so be prepared to truck out a lot. Remember that there are 35k people that think their little piece of trash will not add anything to your pile. Make it a bring your own container so you don't have to deal with cups and napkins and stuff just crank out the coffee.

I'm sure as you think this through you will see the ramifications of just how big scope and commitment of such an undertaking it will be. And to find a bunch of people who are willing to give that much of themselves for others will be truly rare, which means of course that you will be left doing everything by yourself (it's called playa flake).

What I think the big attraction or draw is, is that it is like the kitchen in our house, it's where we always gather to chat, and sit around, it's where the food and drinks and everyone else is hanging out, it provides warm and comfortable respite from the day's ongoing events. The coffee's and stuff just so happens to be a small part of it.

"be the cup that you seek"

icebox

Post by icebox » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:52 am

Fat Sam, you should talk to the group that gives out 10,000 bottles of water each year. Maybe they could switch to giving out coffee per your idea. They seem to be a rather dedicated group. Not sure how you would contact them, but they were located near the JOTS at 5:30 and Earth, across from Kidsville. There was another group from Michigan that camped at about 8:30 and Neptune that was giving out tea and coffee every morning. If you found enough of these types of camps maybe you could convince them to pool themselves together to find an interesting alternative to the cafe.

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:31 am

I used a tankers scarf for a resperator. Basically, it is a six foot length of cloth that you wrap around your head, covering your nose and mouth. It rinsed out very easily, and I would also wet it down and put it over my head for cooling. Worked great. I also had a shemah-something (Arab word I'm not even going to try to pronunce, let alone spell). The design has been used for centuries in desert environments. Worked great for me, too.

Reba wrote:
As far as making next year better (seeing above) giving every fuckin yahoo frat boy a kick in the parts would make me feel better.. can you work on that for me .. to get them lined up
AMEN, SISTER!!!!!! Sign me up!!! I had ten of those fuckers camped directly across the road from me with their goddam stereo pointed right at my camp. Dickheads thought that everyone would like to hear their music, because (as they told me with straight faces), "Hey! It's Burning Man!" I guess Burning Man means you can do whatever the fuck you want to do and fuck everybody else.

Shitheads!

Yeah, If you want to start Camp Total Vengence, I'm there.... :twisted:
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

icebox

Post by icebox » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:48 am

If I hear that lame "Hey, it's Burning Man" excuse for frat boy/drunk bitch behavior one more time out there...

I will go through with my longheld ambition to rebar someone's neck to the playa.

Maybe it is time to start working on my art project for next year: A magical hut with "Titties & Beer Here" emblazened across the top in neon, inviting all such wonderful "fun-loving" spirits in. Upon entrance, "participants" will be one-way teleported to that other wonderful glowing Nevada paradise where their antics will be fully appreciated I'm sure. Any technical people out there got schematics for such a device? I can make it look good, but I'm not up to par on the implementation. Maybe we could work in conjunction with the Black Rock Airport as an easier alternative? I don't really want to hurt anybody per se, but I think we can come up with some truly creative solutions and deal with certain people with artistic flair.

souldancer

Post by souldancer » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:34 pm

Fat Sam, you should talk to the group that gives out 10,000 bottles of water each year.
Hey! Fat SAM is my husband, and we did talk to a member of that group, like 3 months before Burning Man started. They are a Christian group that gives out water as "a practical demonstration of God's love." The guy we met, Randy Bohlender, actually has an article on the website. http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity ... playa.html
He's a great guy, but giving out coffee would defeat their whole purpose. Especially since water has such a significant place in Christianity.

Does anyone know how to contact that group from Michigan? They rocked!
Music is food for the soul

souldancer

Post by souldancer » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:49 pm

I meant the group from Michigan that gave out the coffee, just to clarify
Music is food for the soul

icebox

Post by icebox » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:21 pm

Can they turn water into coffee?

Sorry, had to go there. :twisted:

They were a very friendly group, for sure. We were camped across from them in AEZ and I felt like I was losing touch with the whole self-reliance thing everytime I was offered a bottle of water on the way to the potties. I admire the generosity of many at BM, but I am concerned when I hear the stories of people coming out there expecting the community to take care of them. Dealt with this a few times as a ranger and gave me a perspective I hadn't seen before. Would love to hear any creative suggestions on dealing with the thoughtless "takers" out there (and in the real world), other than letting them "just slide". I had to hold back a friend from beating a guy senseless over this issue.

glam_daddy

my 2 wishes

Post by glam_daddy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:08 pm

for 2005 i wish for only 2 things

1) people at the burn who want to sit will sit. The people who would rather stand will stand. The idiots arguing for either side to get everyone else to do what they are doing will just shut up and enjoy the moment.

2) green lazers will be banned from the temple burn. Here we sit watching this majestic temple, set on a starry sky and all I can focus on is a dozen glarringly out of place green dots as they buzz all over the temple. As I sat and tried NOT to watch the green dots, I remarked to myself how beautifull the scene would have looked without the fucking lazers.
http://www.jordansplace.net

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:32 pm

Ew. Those pics remind me a of the ones of the sewer pigs in the Instigator mag I picked up at Jiffy Lube. Ew.

I think the free coffee is a great idea Sam, although I prefer the small is better idea, where you just bring as much coffee as you want and share it with as many people as you want- maybe that's only 10 people, that's okay. That's my plan next year. And those big coffee makers- yuck. I may not drink coffee much, but I know enough to be a coffee snob. Unless you fill them up with bodum-made coffee. Hmmm, where can one get a bodum for 50? And someone strong enough to press the screen down?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: the past gets old quick...if not sooner

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:50 pm

bradDaDad wrote: 4) A safe place for people losing their minds. Why send someone to the medics where there are cops. Let's face it, the "mental hygeine" medic tents for someone flipping out seems a little harsh. How about a no talking, safe place. here might be one already, I'm not sure, but if you have ever had a phobic attack, you know exactly what I am talking about.
Please clear up some confusion. Are you saying that the Rangers, etc, at Sanctuary are cops? or where you unaware of that option. My personal take on Digger (who runs it, but couldn't attend this year) is that he is very safe with the freak outs on all levels. Plus he has the creds--again on multiple levels. And since there can be serious health consequences of drug use (i've seen participants have to be put on O2) I don't think some sort of medical eval is uncalled for. A fine line to be sure, but don't rule out what EMD does, please.

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:54 pm

They outta' try that 'water-into-wine' thingy that was so popular a couple of thousand years ago. Imagine... ten thousand free bottles of fresh wine. It would go well at Burning Man... and it would give the church real good PR. After all the political stuff it's been into the last few years it would be refreshing.

I don't know if its on the same level, but I used to turn beer into urine for years... although no one ever remarked on it...

Unless I did it on their shoes...

Rabbi Dali Rick

.........You're gonna take this blessing if it kills you!...

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:27 pm

Next year camp, "Camp of the Terrorizing Christ Crew". Everyone will dress up like Jesus track innocent bystanders down who refuse to accept us into their life and beat them senseless with our oversized bibles. And for the blasphemers we will drag out a replica of the ol cross and strap them up there for 10 or 15 minutes while poking them with sticks to see if we can make the bleed water and wine simultanously.

christianly,
the rebbi

tisha2

Center Camp Cafe

Post by tisha2 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:10 pm

Fat SAM wrote: Passing out beverages on this sort of scale is going to take a lot of funding as well as man power. With a lot of folks sharing the load, though, it wouldn't be that big a problem.
Hey you could get all the people who benefit from it to chip in a little bit to cover the costs...then use that funding to contract a coffee house to bring in and run the equipment, then recruit volunteers to work the counter...
o wait...

Just a reminder, the "commerce" of the cafe only pays for itself...no one is getting rich off of it. And it wouldn't be there if people didn't use/appreciate it.

I think it's great if people want to give stuff out for free, go for it. Give out coffee IN Center Camp if you want...but as you are recognizing, freebies for 34,000 is a big venture. And there's no need to use your freebies to "destroy" anything. The Cafe is out there because people want us there.

I don't get what you mean by "give CC back to the community"..who said you couldn't come? There is an incredible sense of community there, a welcome gathering spot for those who frequent it, and for newbies to get their bearings and info. I for one feel completely comfortable and included there, and always have, even before I started volunteering there.

Layne

hmm

Post by Layne » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:15 pm

The Deep End will be bigger and badder without a doubt. We shall gift more blended cocktails than this year and supply ample daytime choons

On a personal level I need more fire. My flamethrower isn't enough - here's to more fire next year FIRE FIRE FIRE
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan

Donita

Re: BURNING MAN 2005

Post by Donita » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:59 pm

Rabbi Dali Rick wrote:Ok... Fuck the past let's look to the future. Any idea's for theme camps? Costumes? Art Cars? Gifting stuff? How are you going to make next year better?

Next year I am going in an RV. :D

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:10 pm

Well, I threw my $.02 worth on this thread... down towards the bottom of the page...

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 3&start=60

bradDaDad

Re: the past gets old quick...if not sooner

Post by bradDaDad » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:14 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
bradDaDad wrote: 4) A safe place for people losing their minds. Why send someone to the medics where there are cops. Let's face it, the "mental hygeine" medic tents for someone flipping out seems a little harsh. How about a no talking, safe place. here might be one already, I'm not sure, but if you have ever had a phobic attack, you know exactly what I am talking about.
Please clear up some confusion. Are you saying that the Rangers, etc, at Sanctuary are cops? or where you unaware of that option. My personal take on Digger (who runs it, but couldn't attend this year) is that he is very safe with the freak outs on all levels. Plus he has the creds--again on multiple levels. And since there can be serious health consequences of drug use (i've seen participants have to be put on O2) I don't think some sort of medical eval is uncalled for. A fine line to be sure, but don't rule out what EMD does, please.
Okay, now I cleareth. I went to a med tent and there were many Sheriffs. That was just my one isoladed experience for that one tent on 3 o'clock.

I am just talking about a quiet zone where nobody evaluates you. For a real medical problem I recommend the med tent.

Return to “Open Discussion”