Porta Potties

All things outside of Burning Man.
calsur

Porta Potties

Post by calsur » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:20 pm

robbidobbs,

I work construction so I had a real problem with the idea of using porta potties for a week. In my world the pots are used by people who eat off roach coaches and the pots themselves are not serviced all that often. And a Southern California summer can make them really ripe quickly.

My misgiving where reinforced when I was driving onto the Playa for the first time. I passed downwind of where I guess JOTS was cleaning up the pots before distributing them. I was about a mile away and I had to roll the windows up and turn on the air conditioning. This was my one and only negative encounter with the potties on the Playa.

Every other time I passed a potty I never smelled anything. Every time I used one they were as clean as anything can be on the Playa. I mainly used the bank at 6 o’clock and Earth and there was always TP but I still brought my own. And give the genius who thought up the Guy Piss Potty a huge pat on the back. That is just straight American brilliance there. And tell him/her to patent it. That is a million dollar idea.

Please pass this along to JOTS or post a email address so here so I can do it direct. Their drivers are way cool. This one guy who looks like an older version of Ring O Fire waved and shouted HI every time he passed my camp. Huge red beard.

So I am just posting this to say “Thanks” for a great job

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:24 pm

the potty guys RAWK!

one guy would always direct me to a clean one (with tp, natch) with a little "psst!" and a wink on those occaisions that my needs and their cleaning schedules converged.

what a sweetie!
It's all about the squirrels.

RebA!

Post by RebA! » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:28 pm

I had one crazy impossible potty experience. It was close to 4 am and I had to go BAD.. I was out a wandering with my hubby and he scouted ahead for me. I thought for sure there would be no paper. But he actually found one at 4 am! AND it was at the potties at the 6:00 street. And it wasnt just a partiial roll it was a full roll of paper.

I couldnt believe it.

We then went to the ranger station to warm up by thier burn barrel and a girl sat down with us for a while when she annoucnced she to was needing the potties.. I was like right hand side 2nd potty in had paper. I got a high 5.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner

Observer

Met some portapotty moopers

Post by Observer » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:43 am

You never have a camera when you need one. Back a few years ago, on the night of the burn, I came across a couple in their early 30s, who thought it was hysterically funny to drop a glowstick into one of the portapotties.

What to do? Fine, I had caught them redhanded. Fine, I would have been delighted to turn them in. But all of the rangers were down by the fire, and these two, a man and a woman (man about 5'10", woman maybe an inch or two shorter, both dark haired, in dress clothes) went running off into the night. By the time I could have tracked down a ranger, they would have been miles away, lost in a crowd of about 30,000, needles in the proverbial haystack. My attempt to confront them got about as far as one might expect. They laughed, and ran past me.

If I had a camera with, maybe I could have snapped a photo of these two and turned it in. Aside from that, what can you do, if you're there by yourself, and the offending parties can outrun you?

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:20 am

Calsur wrote:
I mainly used the bank at 6 o’clock and Earth
DUDE!!! The porta-potties on 6:00 were at SATURN!!!

You were crappin' in someones tent... and that wasn't toilet paper...

No wonder it smelled nice...
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:55 pm

The answer is here! see "What Have You Done To Amuse Me Lately?" thread
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

halffast

Re: Met some portapotty moopers

Post by halffast » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:53 pm

Observer wrote:I came across a couple in their early 30s, who thought it was hysterically funny to drop a glowstick into one of the portapotties.

What to do? Fine, I had caught them redhanded. Fine, I would have been delighted to turn them in. But all of the rangers were down by the fire
"Black Rock Rangers are not law enforcement personnel. "

All the rangers are going to do is tell them why it's a silly idea to do that, you can certainly manage that yourself. They are your porta-potties that will be full if they can't get cleaned up because of the glowsticks, not the rangers'. Save yourself some hassle later, and take some time to let them know.

If they elude you, they elude you. But maybe you can get a glowstick of your own and use it as bait.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:32 am

Bump
(because I can)

In 2001 a JotS driver told me about witnessing this plain-clothed dude with a beer can who walked into a potty. At the same time an amazonian dominatrix was walking out. She spied the beer can, and waited until the dude came out. He did, but without the beer can. She made him feel very small, in her special way. The driver was impressed at our sense of community.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:40 am

robbidobbs wrote:an amazonian dominatrix
Exactly what i want for Christmas!

Rabbi Dali Rick

........ Test Is Not 100 Percent Effective ....

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:01 pm

What porto pottie conversation would be complete without

http://66.39.114.178/Movies/VirtualPottie%201a.mov

the rebbi

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:45 am

It sounded garbled and unintelligible. Was it two people talking thru the pottie walls?

Return to “Open Discussion”