work in Sacramento - live there or commute from Bay Area?

All things outside of Burning Man.
sam i am
Burning Since: 2008

work in Sacramento - live there or commute from Bay Area?

Post by sam i am » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi. I'm a two-time Burner from Melbourne, Australia. Been keen to move to the Bay Area since my first time in 2008

Have finally been offered a job in the region, but it's in Sacramento

would really appreciate people's opinions on the city. Obviously it's not going to be as vibrant as the Bay Area but is it liveable?

I'm a DJ / musician & a large part of the reason I want to be over there is so I can party in San Francisco. Will living in Sacramento drive me insane with boredom?

the flip-side is that if I live in the Bay Area (prob'ly Berkeley) I'm going to have to spend 3 hours in a car most days driving to & from work. Not a thrilling idea

given what's going on right now I'm not expecting much in the way of activity on the forum, but I prob'ly have to decide within a week so would love some input

please help my partner & I make this fairly significant life decision. I'm keen to live in NoCal but is this the opportunity I've been waiting for?

many thanks in advance

Snow

Re: work in Sacramento - live there or commute from Bay Area

Post by Snow » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:55 pm

I just moved to Sacramento from Reno. There is quite a bit of partying to be had here and plenty to do, not the scene I'm used to (in Reno) but I'm still getting settled in here. SF is only a train or car trip away so you can still make trips there a lot. I'd say it'd be worth it to get your feet on the ground here.

Good luck and if you come here be certain to shoot me a message, I don't come on the forum much. My partner just took a job in the bay so we are back and forth a lot.

I just happened to check in because I'm having withdrawals from the playa, first one I've missed since my first.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: work in Sacramento - live there or commute from Bay Area

Post by Elderberry » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:05 am

I agree. Take the job in Sacramento. Once settled in the country, you can be on the look out for a job in San Francisco.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “Open Discussion”