Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

All things outside of Burning Man.
User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8368
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:42 am

If I set up next to you next year, just be notified: I don't wanna bring home any bikes next time!! Regardless of what the personable and persuasive First Mate says...
:)
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

User avatar
graidawg
Posts: 3180
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker
Contact:

Re: Who's back in defaultia safe? And how was the trip?

Post by graidawg » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:53 am

I made it back to lonodon wednesday morning. slept a lot, though i am waking up about midnight and staring at my screen for hours. the trip was uneventful although getting to my flat from heathrow is a ridiculous journey involving changing buses and walking.

Like MDF i am still adjusting to being 3000 miles away from the closest of you. working on changing that.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

User avatar
Elliot
Posts: 7756
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by Elliot » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 am

:lol: :lol:
I hope you both enjoy the tandem. (See PM about it.)

I don't have an accurate bicycle count, but I just took a rough total count in my barn, and this suggests that we were gifted around 50 bikes at the end of the week. Actually, more like 70, but I gave back out quite a few to folks who had lost their own (-- or even were just treasure hunting, I suppose, which is fine, since bicycles should go where they are wanted.)

Many of the new crop are junk, but there will definitely be an increase in the loaner fleet next year. Life is good.

User avatar
Sundial
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:51 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit
Location: Kanuckistan

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by Sundial » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:02 am

Having sampled your mechanical talent, I feel you should set aside a portion of those gifted bicycles and use them to build some sort of final-scene-of-Aliens-style exoskeleton.
Elliot wrote::lol: :lol:
I hope you both enjoy the tandem. (See PM about it.)

I don't have an accurate bicycle count, but I just took a rough total count in my barn, and this suggests that we were gifted around 50 bikes at the end of the week. Actually, more like 70, but I gave back out quite a few to folks who had lost their own (-- or even were just treasure hunting, I suppose, which is fine, since bicycles should go where they are wanted.)

Many of the new crop are junk, but there will definitely be an increase in the loaner fleet next year. Life is good.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

User avatar
Elliot
Posts: 7756
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by Elliot » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:36 am

Schtev wrote:Having sampled your mechanical talent, I feel you should set aside a portion of those gifted bicycles and use them to build some sort of final-scene-of-Aliens-style exoskeleton.
Thank you! And great minds still think alike. I'm actually considering building a decorative railing of bike parts around the Bike Repair Station. I do wind up with surplus frames and front wheels, since it is mostly rear wheels that break. (But I will soon need a second bus to haul all this stuff! :lol: )

(Oh... and apparently you missed the giant bicycle portal at Center Camp a few years ago. There should be pictures in the Gallery. But year? The triple rainbow year, maybe? )

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10321
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:28 am

Have already dug out and set aside 200 feet of 18 inch high trash fence for Elliot..
It is no longer needed in this camp.. When rolled it take up little room and next to no weight.

Easy way of getting rid of stuff with no remorse..Just can't stand to throw anything away..

User avatar
Drawingablank
Posts: 2595
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 am

Back at default home safely as of Thursday the 5th, but had a rather unpleasant trip.

Left the Playa on Turesday morning as planned. Braked only to donate some beer to DPW then smooth sailing all the way to Gerlach. The gate road was virtually dust free too as an added bonus.

Saw the usual amount of assholes trying to pass and nearly causing several major accidents on 447. Smooth run to our storage locker in Fernley, 3 hours unloading and we were on our way to the Sands. The pool party was in full swing and quite audible in my 9th floor room. Got together with campmates at the bar and then the buffet, with a post buffet drinking party in MDF's room.

Wednesday had me at the airport at 10 AM for what should have been a 7.5 hour flight to NY with one transfer. Due to severe weather in Denver, we diverted to Colorado Springs to refuel causing me to miss my second flight. When we finally got to Denver I was then shunted to another flight for Chicago with a 6 hour layover until my final flight into NY.

I pretty much hadn't eaten anything since the Buffet the night before and when we landed in Chicago after midnight of course everything was closed except a bakery. I picked up some really fudgy looking brownies which didnt taste bad, but apparently the fiber content was about 98% because they caused a case of explosive diarrhea the likes of which I have never experienced for about 2 hours. Luckily that passed before my next flight.

I finally walked out of the airport in NY at 9:30 AM on Thursday.

I did learn one very interesting thing though. If I pick an airline seat in a row with someone who also has wild looking hair - the center seat will remain empty unless the plane is booked solid giving us a lot more leg room.

Decom has been a breeze this year as I tried a new approach. I basically just continued the party when I got home - set up some lights in the back yard, wore my burn clothes, pounded back the beers, blasted the music, spun fire, etc...
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

User avatar
MyDearFriend
Posts: 3760
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Decom has been a breeze this year as I tried a new approach. I basically just continued the party when I got home - set up some lights in the back yard, wore my burn clothes, pounded back the beers, blasted the music, spun fire, etc...
oh wow what a good plan, I think I will try that tomorrow... 8) 8) 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

User avatar
Elorrum
Posts: 5412
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket
Location: Reno

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by Elorrum » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Tomorrow is hose it all down day. Maybe tonight I'll clean some lights... I saw a little puddle of changing light on the floor this morning, and found it coming from a small blinky under a dusty vest, that has been on for a while, just quietly doing it's thing. I felt a little welling up of pride for that object, like it was a small sentry keeping watch without me asking it to.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

User avatar
MyDearFriend
Posts: 3760
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by MyDearFriend » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:12 am

Elorrum wrote:Tomorrow is hose it all down day. Maybe tonight I'll clean some lights... I saw a little puddle of changing light on the floor this morning, and found it coming from a small blinky under a dusty vest, that has been on for a while, just quietly doing it's thing. I felt a little welling up of pride for that object, like it was a small sentry keeping watch without me asking it to.
That is wonderful. 8) Blink on, little sentry!!!
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

msj2u
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:17 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Location: Inland Empire, CA

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by msj2u » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Home safe, the trip was amazing! (the bad part goes on another thread) LOL


One of the best parts of the trip was hanging out at Elliot, Figjams, Geos, tinymystic and maryanimals place! Figjam, thanks for the wonderful conversation. Elliot, well you're just an awesome person. Geo, wish I'd gotten to spend more time, but alas the ladies had you surrounded *winks*. Tinymystic and maryanimal, you both made Me feel so welcome. I'm grateful to all 5 of you!

No issues with the 12 hour drive, thankfully.

Dusty hugs,

MSJ
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid.

I can't be muted

pink
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:30 am
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic
Location: Stagecoach, NV

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by pink » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:54 pm

Grai, I'll be in London in November. Well have to meet for a pint!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

User avatar
illy dilly
Posts: 4900
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by illy dilly » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:11 am

Drawingablank wrote:I pretty much hadn't eaten anything since the Buffet the night before and when we landed in Chicago after midnight of course everything was closed except a bakery. I picked up some really fudgy looking brownies which didnt taste bad, but apparently the fiber content was about 98% because they caused a case of explosive diarrhea the likes of which I have never experienced for about 2 hours. Luckily that passed before my next flight.
The wrong kinda of "Special" brownie. :shock: :lol:

Glad you made it home safe Bobbin!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

User avatar
Drawingablank
Posts: 2595
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:I pretty much hadn't eaten anything since the Buffet the night before and when we landed in Chicago after midnight of course everything was closed except a bakery. I picked up some really fudgy looking brownies which didnt taste bad, but apparently the fiber content was about 98% because they caused a case of explosive diarrhea the likes of which I have never experienced for about 2 hours. Luckily that passed before my next flight.
The wrong kinda of "Special" brownie. :shock: :lol:

Glad you made it home safe Bobbin!
Ah well, the burn is not just a vacation - it's an adventure.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Post Reply

Return to “Open Discussion”