The Car Thread

All things outside of Burning Man.
chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Re: The Car Thread

Postby chuckularone » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:18 am

I learned to drive in North Jersey. To this day I spend little to no time in the left hand lane if I'm not actively passing. People who camp there piss me off.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:26 pm

As far as driving goes, the general populace of the Seattle area needs to be sent to Jersey to learn something.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Captain, you'd love the I-270 loop around St. Louis.....wall to wall assholes. Navigating that is like riding on a steel ball in a pachinko machine.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

gyre

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Highway One West

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby ranger magnum » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Just picked up a 58 bell air. Since I'm tired of pretty cars, this one will be a rat rod. It's straight and runs, with a small block. Dunno what size it is, so I have to get my GM book of casting numbers and figure out what it is. It may be original, and of that's the case it will be a 283.

As soon as I figure out how the hell to post pictures I will.
Praise the Lowered

Tin Halo
Burning Since: 2004

Postby Tin Halo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Ford guy. Had 'em most of my driving life. Technically, the first car I had was a '69 Impala, but it always had something wrong with it. Long story on how that ended up.
What I consider to be my first car was a '68 Mustang. 10 years old when I bought it. Gulfstream aqua metallic, 289, C3.
If my parents could have waited, their first car would have been a 64-1/2, but they couldn't wait so they got a '64 red XL. Somehow, it got the wrong engine and Dad ended up with an engine meant for the somebody's po-leese force in it. Even though the size of everything gets smaller as you get older and bigger and your perspective changes, that car is still motherfucking huge whenever I see one at a show.
Dad had a '49 Lincoln for many, many years. Barn find. $400. Bought it in late 60's, it'd been in a barn for 13 years. Had the original mint/puke green painted over in black. Mohair interior. Power antenna (vacuum-operated thing, had bad seals so it never worked). Over time he also had a Crosley wagon and a Pontiac Firechief.

Recently sold my stalwart '95 Explorer Sport. Bought it in April of '01 at 95K and sold it April of this year at 209K. Rock solid vehicle, just long in the tooth and time for a change. Currently driving a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited. Mom was second owner, had it for 10 years, put 16k on it. So when I bought it from her for a dollar in July '12 it had 49k on it. 76 now. Looks 3-4 years old instead of 12.
I feel bad for it, though... I'm accustomed to some seriously workable cargo space from the Explorer, and the Lib is markedly smaller so it's entertaining to watch me jam shit in and on the thing, trying to avoid fucking up the leather. So far, I'm good.

Been developing a jones for rat-ish rides lately. Not really much into the performance side of it, but I love the aesthetics and the blank slate you get with them. Stumbled through a field to check out a '52 Dodge pickup last week. There's a ginormous vintage delivery van in town that's been sitting for so long the guy might pay ME to take it. What I'm really craving, though, is any of the following: 40's-64' Ford pickups, mid-50's Chevy Apache truck, or a vintage Divco or Metro delivery van. Hell, I'd even snag an old bus from, oh, '65 on back if I could. (There's a '40 White City bus languishing in a field about an hour from me.... must...not...roadtrip...) Patina, patina, patina. I'll worry about the mechanics later.

The farther-reaching part of my brain wants to strip a motorhome down to the bones and build a whole new one, custom shape and all. This has its roots in the experience of building the art car for '04, which was based on a '91 Town'n'Country minivan, stripped down to chassis, firewall, and controls. 0-60 in a city block without all that unnecessary shit like glass, steel, and seats.
That's what they say, anyway. I wouldn't know. (Looks down at glass of scotch...)
Last edited by Tin Halo on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tin Halo

Postby Tin Halo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:18 pm

VultureChow wrote:Most people visiting fly into Newark Airport and frankly that area looks like a mining colony on a distant asteroid manned entirely by convicts.

jesusrollerbladingchrist... I've been looking for the perfect way to describe that airport since 1999, when I was last there.
I now have it.

Thank you.

ranger magnum

Postby ranger magnum » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Im a GM guy. Not sure when or why it happened. Really, I love any vintage iron, regardless of make. But GM lights my fire. So, like a moth, I go to the light.

Maybe it's in my DNA....

A good friend is into Mopar stuff. Has a 59 Chrysler with a Hemi. But it's a 4 door. I can do 4 doors prior to around 53. After that, coupes only.

Kinda want a pre war car. Found a 41 Pontiac for 4k. All original, and runs great. But Christ on a crutch, I just don't have the space. Between the 64 impala, 62 impala, the 58 bell air, the 53 Buick Roadmaster, and a 58 Harley, there just isn't room for another car.

I'm tired of pretty cars, so the bell air is going Kustom/rat. Satin black body, Kandy pagan gold over metalic gold on the roof , with the same Kandy gold over silver metalflake scallops. Aztec yellow pinstripes on either side of the scallops, and Aztec yellow and white pinstripe on various places on the body. The wheels will also be Aztec yellow, with 5.20's. Been painting and building cars for a long time, and is time to go a different route.

Someday I want to build my own car. As in fabricate the frame, and graft on various suspension parts. Maybe get an English wheel, learn to use it, and make my own sheet metal.

Someday....
Praise the Lowered

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:54 pm

ranger magnum wrote:Just picked up a 58 bell air. Since I'm tired of pretty cars, this one will be a rat rod. It's straight and runs, with a small block. Dunno what size it is, so I have to get my GM book of casting numbers and figure out what it is. It may be original, and of that's the case it will be a 283.

As soon as I figure out how the hell to post pictures I will.

Do tell!! Is it a hardtop or a sedan? How many emergency exits has it got?

The way to post pictures is to load them on a free online site like photobucket or whatever else, then you can copy the link to the photo in your post and it will show up.
I can see that car with some 2" whitewalls and a set of chrome-reverse wheels with no hubcaps (like the one Ron Howard drove in American Grafitti but without the jacked-up stance) or just the whitewalls on the stock steelies painted red or wearing some Caddy or Olds Fiesta hubcaps. Wheels are EVERYTHING, they determine the car's "era". You cannot put white-lettered tires or modern wheels on it...

It might be cool with as-is patina unless it's got some shitty Maaco paint job over it, or you can't go wrong with primer (well, primer look - you need to use real paint with flattener because primer isn't paint and the car will rust right through it) and some super-cool Von Dutch style pinstriping. OK, lots of it. And no loud pipes... Cars sound like shit with loud pipes unless they have high-compression, hot-cammed motors that legitimately sound awesome. Someone teach all the stupid kids and rednecks that, OK?!

Oh yeah... A '58 Chevy can be an ultra-cool cruiser, even if it's a 4-door post sedan or a wagon. Actually I'd love to have a '58 wagon. I'd take it on the Hot Rod Power Tour!

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Oh, oops, you replied before I hit "post", but it sounds like we're on the same page! That sounds perfect!

Now go learn to post photos, goddammit!

Hey, if you can email some to me I'll post them here for you! I'll go PM you my email address.

You know, this is one of the things that turned me on to Burning Man. I've also been a car-building hot rodder all my life and painted, pretty and perfect cars are such a pain in the ass! People who don't build and then maintain them have no idea...
For Burning Man, I get to build something from scratch and NOT worry about making each part perfect, then trying to assemble it without scratching any of those perfect pieces even though the fresh paint and chrome have now altered all the clearances... on the playa, you can still have all the ingenuity and custom work, but you can get it dirty, spill drinks on it, and have FUN with it.

ranger magnum

Postby ranger magnum » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Got your pm....picture on it's way!

Wheels are everything! I am CEO of a tire manufacturing company, and I make bias ply whitewall tires. But only 5.20's in 13 and 14". Mostly for the Lowrider and rat rod scene. And only in 1/2 " and 1 1/4 " wide whitewalls.

Just picked up 5 steel wheels off a 72 Skylark. Going to paint them Aztec yellow, with chrome lug nuts. And that's it.
Praise the Lowered

ranger magnum

Postby ranger magnum » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:27 pm

I took a pinstripe class 4 years ago, and learned from the right people.

Been painting for over 10 years....Kandy, pearl, flake, single, two and three stage. PPG, Glasurit, Speis-Hecker, lots of it. Occasionally, when I'm in the right mood, I will use lead. I'm ok at it, certainly no Bill Hines, but I can do it.

Started by building Harleys; the real ones, none of Rev-Tech powered pieces of dung. Did my first Kandy on my 58. House of color Tangelo pearl. Still have the bike.

I usually spend birthdays wandering through salvage yards......
Praise the Lowered

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:55 pm

OK, here's Ranger's '58!
It almost wants it's top chopped, doesn't it :)

My '55 Bel Air wears 8" Corvette Rallys with 235/60/15 Radial T/As. It looks kinda' '70s-'80s. (And, those wheels and tires have been on it since then!)
I'm thinking about a new set of radials, but with redlines. I've never seen anyone run redlines on a '55. They would be "right" on the old 'Vette wheels, too.
I have a set of polished Americans, 15x8, but I never put them on, they are cool but too "modern". I want the old-school Torq-Thrust Americans with the gray center and brushed lip. Those with redlines would work, too.
Or, some chrome-reverses with around 2' whites, no hubcaps, and spider centers. That would turn the car into a time machine right into 1961-1962.
Last edited by Captain Goddammit on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tin Halo

Postby Tin Halo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:55 pm

ranger magnum wrote:Someday I want to build my own car. As in fabricate the frame, and graft on various suspension parts. Maybe get an English wheel, learn to use it, and make my own sheet metal.

Someday....

This.

Tin Halo

Postby Tin Halo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote: Someone teach all the stupid kids and rednecks that, OK?!

If they could be taught, they wouldn't be stupid kids and rednecks. (...sigh...)

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Tin Halo wrote:
ranger magnum wrote:Someday I want to build my own car. As in fabricate the frame, and graft on various suspension parts. Maybe get an English wheel, learn to use it, and make my own sheet metal.

Someday....

This.

This sounds like a Burning Man mutant vehicle! The kind I like, the kind that someone BUILT, not another decorated god damn golf cart or whatever.
Is it just me, or did it seem like there used to be more real custom built M/Vs? There's a lot of really awesome ones lately but not so many where someone actually engineered the vehicle itself rather than using a "base" vehicle and decorating it. Maybe there are fewer gluttons for punishment, and more people with sense :)

ranger magnum

Postby ranger magnum » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:18 pm

Too bad your in Washington..we could collaborate on a cool art car.

For those redlines you want, contact Diamondback Classics. Ask for Tab Chapman. Tell him Jason, the owner of Premium Sportway sent you. They make redlines.... They will put them on any size or brand of radial.
Praise the Lowered

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:30 pm

I've got elaborate "someday" plans, probably never because Burning Man is fading away into the mainstream... for an M/V that would be THE BEST ride on the playa.
It's getting late but I'll PM you all about it. It's a four-seater open-cockpit "airplane" that can bank and fully barrel-roll. I've got it pretty well scienced out and most of the build details worked out and was at one point collecting pieces, but then I decided to do some stupid shit like fixing my house up and other useful things.

It's tough being on your own building stuff like that, if we lived nearby we could really make waves on the playa!

southern crone

Postby southern crone » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:40 am

I know nothing about cars other than check oil, air, fluids and gas, but I do like old cars. My first car was a 54 (somewhere around there) Fiat 4 door sedan. Loved the little size and the fact the doors opened backwards. An elderly neighbor had it under his shed. I ask if I could look at it. The body was in great shape but he said I would never get it to run. I told him my dad could get anything to run. He told me to give him 50 dollars, I could take it home and if I could get it to run in a week I could keep it, if not I had to bring it back and he kept the 50 dollars. My brother and I pushed it to the house , my dad worked on it for a few days and filled it with gas and off we went. I drove past the neighbors house and waved, if looks could kill I would be dead, lol. I sold it later and made a nice profit off of it. Bought a Vega, lol. My dad has a 37 Plymouth 4 door sedan and my brother in law collects old cars, vans and trucks and makes Rat Rods. I have enjoyed this thread.

ranger magnum

Postby ranger magnum » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:42 pm

rat rods.....God I love them. But I've always thought true rats are built with a lot of various parts, brand crossover, and a little mad max flair.

Im more into low rats or Kustoms. Anything from the 40's and 50's.
Praise the Lowered

southern crone

Postby southern crone » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Correction: My dad said his car is a 37 Pontiac 2 door sedan ( said only 2 door he has seen).

ranger magnum

Postby ranger magnum » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Is it a humpback sedan? If so, those are cool! I like them a lot more than the business coups.
Praise the Lowered

southern crone

Postby southern crone » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:18 pm

Looking at pictures on line, I believe it is a business sedan, I really like the hood ornament.

Tin Halo

Postby Tin Halo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:29 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Tin Halo wrote:

Someday....

This.

This sounds like a Burning Man mutant vehicle! The kind I like, the kind that someone BUILT, not another decorated god damn golf cart or whatever.
Is it just me, or did it seem like there used to be more real custom built M/Vs? There's a lot of really awesome ones lately but not so many where someone actually engineered the vehicle itself rather than using a "base" vehicle and decorating it. Maybe there are fewer gluttons for punishment, and more people with sense :)

Which translates to fewer people exploring life. No thanks.

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ^Rhino! » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Decorated golf carts don't lead to moments of playadipity.

MDF and I were on an art car riding back from the Temple in 2013, and the car was a large platform shaped like an island, complete with palm trees and hammocks. Actually a very nicely done piece of work. Midway between center camp and the Temple, several el-wire decorated remote control sharks started to circle the island. They came out of nowhere, and the only thing missing was Roy Scheider saying "You're going to need a bigger boat!" :'

[media]

and the ominous Jaws theme music

[media]
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

ranger magnum

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:46 pm

I like when different art cars of the same genre interact. Im growing tired of mobile dance floors bellowing oontz oontz oontz the whole night. While I enjoy that kind of music, there are places I can go if I want to hear it.

It would be nice to get away from it though...
Praise the Lowered

gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 pm

Nice car, Magnum.
I remember a pair of small tanks out there, that could do maneuvers with each other.
V cool.

Here's the best part of california culture.
Going canyon carving after a race.
Not only is it real, it's a daily driver.

ranger magnum

Postby ranger magnum » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Wow....

So glad to see it's really driven.
Praise the Lowered

gyre

Postby gyre » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Amazing these days, isn't it?
That shot was taken in your area, I think.
The Lotus is in Santa Barbara.
The american car is really loud!

I was just at Bonneville and saw customs taken out on the salt by spectators.
Bonneville made me so happy!
The center of the planet for crazy ass racing weirdness.
An incredibly welcoming open group of racers too.
I was even allowed to ask stupid questions at LSR tech inspections.
So many beautiful and crazy cars!
I'm still trying to get all the salt out.
Fuck playa dust.
That's nothing.

First run I saw was a 16 cylinder turbo semi.
Felt like the space shuttle hammering down the track.

gyre

Postby gyre » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Here's an irreplaceable daily driver.

Anyone recognize it?

Return to “Open Discussion”