The Car Thread

All things outside of Burning Man.
ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Re: The Car Thread

Post by ranger magnum » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Waiting for my tri power set up to arrive. Found one for a sbc, which is not as common as you think.
Praise the Lowered

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:36 pm

Nice.
They still make these for small block chevy, but I'm sure you know.

Last edited by gyre on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Canoe wrote: yes? / no?
Looks like a very effective way to end up in a news story.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:05 pm

ygmir wrote:this car pulled up to the gate at the hippie fest I worked this weekend
the guy paid 300 bucks for it in 65, restored it, and has driven is ever since, keeps it nice, but drives it all over!!
vette.jpg
Wow...
That's a 1955 Corvette; I know because '53-'55s look the same, but they didn't get a V8 until 1955 when Chevrolet first introduced their V8 (yeah I know, they had one back in the 19-teens) and the Corvettes that had one had a bigger "V" in the word "Corvette" on the side :)
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Canoe wrote:Two finds to share:
yes? / no?
strut compressor installer.jpg
A garage a self-tapping screw to attach a heat-shield to a gas tank...
heatshieldscrewfueltank.jpg
Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. Very clever if you ask me, though I would have used chain, not two tie downs.
I made a hood spring remover using chains. The factory GM tool hasn't been available for decades, so I improvised one. Works a good if not better than the factory tool, as it puts you further away from the spring should something break.
Praise the Lowered

Tin Halo
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Tin Halo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Canoe wrote:Two finds to share:
yes? / no?
strut compressor installer.jpg
The concept is sheer genius. The execution relies on motorcycle straps a little too heavily for my comfort, but I'd give it a try.
Otherwise the only thing I can think of to substitute is some mondo S-hooks and turnbuckles.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Hence using chain.

My biggest hurdle is removing front coil springs out of vintage iron. When I do body off frame restos, I unbolt the lower control arms, and use the weight of the frame/engine/trans to hold it together, then use a floor jack to raise the frame to release the coils. I usually wrap some towing chain through them, just in case something fails. The chain keeps the coils from shooting out from under the car.

Rears are easy, at least on GM stuff. Unbolt the panhard bar and shocks, and raise the car off the diff.
Praise the Lowered

southern crone
Burning Since: 2014

Post by southern crone » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:44 pm

I just bought a 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Westfalia , 112,000 miles, runs great, cabinets and interior looks great. $3,500. So happy! I plan to hand paint a mural on outside.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:41 am

I learned about the coil over suspension the hard way...........
back in the 80's, a friend had a 280Z and wanted to put high performance (?) shocks on it. So, I said I'd help.........
never having seen such a suspension, I figure just crawl under, pop the shock off, and put a new one on..........
well, I got under the car (40 lbs ago, haha), and pried the lower shock mount off...........Boom! the shock mount dun into the concrete right in front of my nose, and the car itself, came to rest on my chest......luckily, the gas tank was there, so it was a flat ish surface......and of course, my friend was inside the house, talking to his GF on the phone. well, I couldn't yell anyway, couldn't get a breath. So, I bench pressed the car up enough to get a breath, and scootch a few inches out, rest, repeat until with one last shove/fast big scootch, I got out and my head cleared as the car bottomed out.......just as I got out, feeling almost dead, my friend comes walking out: "why are you so red, and how did you get so dirty and scratched...dang. when we moved the car, later, it had taken a half inch or so of concrete off.........woulda done a number on my head.......haha..

The lessons of youth........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:31 pm

^ how are u even still here?

smh
lol :D

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Holy shit! Yes, how are you even here?

Ok, so as long as we are sharing car horror stories, here is mine...

About a year ago, I was doing some suspension work on my truck. It was on jack stands on the street, a I was doing this work out there. The truck was in neutral, and the ebrake was off.

After a long weekend, the truck was done. I took it off the front stands, then went to take it of the rear stands. As soon as it hit the ground, it started rolling. Now I live on a street that has a pretty decent descent, so I grabbed the tailgate to stop it, but it popped open because it wasn't fully latched. By the time I got back on my feet, the truck was picking up speed. My wifes new car was about 15 feet in front of the now rolling truck.

I ran like hell to get up to the front drivers side door, and got it open. As I hopped into it to hit the brakes, I pivoted on my left knee, and immediately the searing pain let me know something bad happened.

As son as the truck was stopped and parked, I assessed the knee. I was unable to put any weight on it, so it was obviously pretty bad. I hopped to the couch and iced it.

I couldn't get to an orthopedic surgeon for a few days, so I had to pretty much stay home. By the time I got to a doctor, it was pretty swollen. He told me it was probably a tear in the miniscus, and that an MRI was needed. So I scheduled an MRI for the following week. But at the time, I had a pretty high deductible, and the MRI was going to cost me about $1500.

So I went to see a physical therapist, and see if maybe there was anything I could do for it. She said that until the swelling went down, there was nothing that could be done. But she did recommend I hold off on the MRI until the swelling went down. So I did, and with ice, it started feeling better. So my doctor told me to give it a month, and if it wasn't better, then we could do the MRI.

Well, it got better and better, and after a month and a half, was pretty much much healed. So I dodged a bullet on that one for sure.
Praise the Lowered

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:23 pm

ranger magnum wrote:Holy shit! Yes, how are you even here?

Ok, so as long as we are sharing car horror stories, here is mine...

About a year ago, I was doing some suspension work on my truck. It was on jack stands on the street, a I was doing this work out there. The truck was in neutral, and the ebrake was off.

After a long weekend, the truck was done. I took it off the front stands, then went to take it of the rear stands. As soon as it hit the ground, it started rolling. Now I live on a street that has a pretty decent descent, so I grabbed the tailgate to stop it, but it popped open because it wasn't fully latched. By the time I got back on my feet, the truck was picking up speed. My wifes new car was about 15 feet in front of the now rolling truck.

I ran like hell to get up to the front drivers side door, and got it open. As I hopped into it to hit the brakes, I pivoted on my left knee, and immediately the searing pain let me know something bad happened.

As son as the truck was stopped and parked, I assessed the knee. I was unable to put any weight on it, so it was obviously pretty bad. I hopped to the couch and iced it.

I couldn't get to an orthopedic surgeon for a few days, so I had to pretty much stay home. By the time I got to a doctor, it was pretty swollen. He told me it was probably a tear in the miniscus, and that an MRI was needed. So I scheduled an MRI for the following week. But at the time, I had a pretty high deductible, and the MRI was going to cost me about $1500.

So I went to see a physical therapist, and see if maybe there was anything I could do for it. She said that until the swelling went down, there was nothing that could be done. But she did recommend I hold off on the MRI until the swelling went down. So I did, and with ice, it started feeling better. So my doctor told me to give it a month, and if it wasn't better, then we could do the MRI.

Well, it got better and better, and after a month and a half, was pretty much much healed. So I dodged a bullet on that one for sure.
so, "Dancing with the Stars" for next season is back on? Great!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:08 pm

Dancing with the scars?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Dance? Me? Oh dear God no....

The last time the wife and I were dancing, some little old lady asked her "My dear, how long has your friend had his special problem? It's wonderful of you to take him out."
Praise the Lowered

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:46 pm

:evil:
%$#@!^&*#%@# and @%%^!
Only a week ago I mentioned that I had Double Coin (cheapo Chinese) steer tires on Millicent. Today I found a palm-size bubble on one of them, straddling sidewall and tread. Replaced it with a Toyo -- 500 bucks installed.
Wonder how long I'll dare leave the other one on?...
Not going anywhere until spring.

And the clever fellow sold me 30 Dollars worth of... sand. Plastic sand. ...Which he placed inside the tire, to "balance" it. Yeah, yeah, yeah... I've read about it. Newton's Law of Inertia, my foot. Some people swear by it. After a few miles I swore only AT it. So the clever fellow did the job over. Now I have a $30 credit for my next visit. And the tire rolls smoothly.

What a mess it made when he dismounted it! Mucks up the valve stem too. Worst Idea Ever.

Didn't say anything about sand when he asked if I wanted it balanced. Of course I said yes.

Loose crap inside the tire! Hrrrrrmmmppphhh!

Cheapo Chinese tires! Double hrrrrmmmmppphhhh!

In our next installment we will revile uncle Leslie's other useless profit-padder, called "siping". Now back to our regularly scheduled piano concert, in progress....

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:39 am

Elliot wrote::evil:
%$#@!^&*#%@# and @%%^!
Only a week ago I mentioned that I had Double Coin (cheapo Chinese) steer tires on Millicent. Today I found a palm-size bubble on one of them, straddling sidewall and tread. Replaced it with a Toyo -- 500 bucks installed.
Wonder how long I'll dare leave the other one on?...
Not going anywhere until spring.

And the clever fellow sold me 30 Dollars worth of... sand. Plastic sand. ...Which he placed inside the tire, to "balance" it. Yeah, yeah, yeah... I've read about it. Newton's Law of Inertia, my foot. Some people swear by it. After a few miles I swore only AT it. So the clever fellow did the job over. Now I have a $30 credit for my next visit. And the tire rolls smoothly.

What a mess it made when he dismounted it! Mucks up the valve stem too. Worst Idea Ever.

Didn't say anything about sand when he asked if I wanted it balanced. Of course I said yes.

Loose crap inside the tire! Hrrrrrmmmppphhh!

Cheapo Chinese tires! Double hrrrrmmmmppphhhh!

In our next installment we will revile uncle Leslie's other useless profit-padder, called "siping". Now back to our regularly scheduled piano concert, in progress....
yeah I tried the balance beads, a few years ago too. yup, no good! it's counter intuitive, but supposed to work. ...........I bought the fancy ceramic "balancing beads" .
Interestingly, if I kept the road speed steady, and the road was smooth, I could feel them sort of working. but, a big bump, or, much of a speed change, and it started over. And never really got smooth, but did get better.
I mark my rims, with no tire, as to heavy side, then use the factory "heavy spot" mark on the tire, when mounting. It makes balancing much easier and less weight. The new kids at most of the shops don't know what that is.

and Elliot, too bad it's so far here. my tire machine will handle your bus tires.........dang .
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 am

Yup... "counter intuitive" is generally a sound guide. And what you describe is exactly what I felt -- speed-change, bump, etc.

I didn't see him put the crap in there, or I would never have allowed it.

I wonder what a tire shop would say if I asked them to find the heavy spot on a rim before mounting the tire. Bet they would look at me like I was from Mars.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:30 pm

How old are your double coins?

As an odd twist of fate, I obtained 6 new double coins in 19.5 for my RV for 600 mounted and balanced. I asked the proprietor of the tire store (he is a very good friend of mine, and my tire company shares warehouse space with his company) about Chinese tires and he said you get what you pay for. While not bad tires, sometimes their quality control is a bit lax. Maybe Elliot, you simply got a bad tire. I don't think it's indicative of the whole company though.

Retail on 19.5 double coins is about $178. Retail on a comparable Michelin is $590.

So you can see the attraction. Sampson, Hercules, Double Coin all have a stronghold on the market. I've had my Sampson Advantage tires for 3 years, and they haven't so much as load even 5 pounds of air in a year. So as much as I am against importing Chinese anything, the savings here is too great to ignore...

Balance balls are effective when you put 125k a year on tires as they adapt to the wear of the tire. But hit a big bump, and they have to "reset" themselves. I drove a 10 wheel Mack stakebed hauling tile back in the day. It had balance balls in it, and drove fine.
Praise the Lowered

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 pm

The Double Coins are 8 years old.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Well, according to nhtsa, they have aged out.

My guess is that Chinese tires don't last as long as their domestic counterparts.
Praise the Lowered

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Know what I wanna know?

Everything I can possibly find out about this build...

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:56 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:00 pm

sickening.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:35 pm

I saw this.

The 53 is worth the most. From 72 on, the collection isn't worth much.
Praise the Lowered

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:59 pm

I am not a huge gear head but i upgraded not to long ago. should be good for the playa. I like it. Its nice an bulky feeling but it turns and stops on a dime.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:35 am

ranger magnum wrote:I saw this.

The 53 is worth the most. From 72 on, the collection isn't worth much.
If my brain is properly in gear this morning... 1972 was the last year with two chrome bumpers, so I'm thinking it ought to have some "interest". But I'm sentimental that way. Otherwise, yeah, mostly just used cars.

(1973 was a preposterous "transition" year with one chrome bumper and one rubber bumper. GM at its worst.)

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:40 am

I, personally, have no interest in any 'Vette after '68.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Elliot, you are correct in that 72 was the last year of dual chrome bumpers. Subsequent model years were pretty uninspiring.
Praise the Lowered

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:54 pm

There were some of the best Corvettes ever post-'68! Are you forgetting the ZL-1 from '69?! Also, the L-88 ran through '69. Granted, you have to be Jay Leno or someone in that league to own one now...
The big-block '70 - '72s are every bit as cool as the '68s were. And if you're not a numbers-matching freak, you can put whatever motor in them you want.
As much as I hate new cars, you also have to admit the new ones flat-out kick the ass of any other, and pretty much any car period until you put them against cars costing ludicrous money.
My interest in Corvettes hits bottom at 1984. Even the mid and late '70s ones aren't so bad, they came with weak smog-motors but they ARE the same car as a '68 and any Chevy engine under the sun fits right in.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:19 pm

I just was never able to really differentiate year from year after '68 or so. I knew guys who'd rattle off model years as we would drive around or just hang out - "whoa there goes a '73 blahblahblah.." and my eyes would glaze over because every single one of them looked the same to me.
I've never really cottoned to auto styling from '69 through late '80's, of any make or model. Cars really lost their mojo, style-wise, for me after the mid/late 60's (disclaimer: partial bias possible because my first car was a '68 Mustang, purchased in '78 for $500 from the second owner). In fact, most things - from a design perspective - from that era hold zero interest for me.
But as far as Vette's go... yeah, that '68 style was (IMHO) a true 'transitional' style from the mid-60's look to the '70 and anything afterward was just really lackluster.
Sorry.

I can't ever really imagine being a "numbers matcher". It's all very good and fine, and cool if you have the cash to pull it off. In the end run, for me, as long as it looks good, looks right, runs, and I can use it... I'm good.

Return to “Open Discussion”