The Car Thread

All things outside of Burning Man.
MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Re: The Car Thread

Post by MikeGyver » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:12 pm

It will idle on its own for about a minute then dies, still tons of clatter, got really loud when I put it in reverse.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Sometimes there is a combination for resetting the computer.

Like turn the key on/off three times, pump the gas twice, wait 30 seconds, then start.

Check the forums for your vehicle.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

MikeGyver

Post by MikeGyver » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:08 am

Good Idea figjam. Ill look that up today.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

MikeGyver

Post by MikeGyver » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:55 pm

Well, the intake is off again, Dads friend that runs a shop says to soak the lifters in oil over night and put them back in and it should be just fine. Thinks that even though we pumped them they aren't full of oil so we aren't getting full lift on the valves which wont let it idle or pump oil all the way up to the rockers. Good news is, after the third time, I can have that top end torn down in half an hour...

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:24 pm

Good much to you, hope it runs well.
For the 2003 Burning Man trip, I put THREE different Cadillac 500 motors in my Chevy dually in the month of July!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Did they all work!!! :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Lol FIGJAM the answer there is kinda obvious!
I'd just rebuilt the first one and in fact was having the exact issue MikeGyver is - the lifters wouldn't pump up.
I considered it too late to tear it apart and troubleshoot it, so I slapped in another that a friend had. I went to Critical Massive with it and it blew up. Now almost totally out if time, I hit craigslist and bought a '76 Cadillac Deville, yanked out the 500, threw the rest of the car away, dropped it untouched and went.
The problem turned out to be an O-ring. Apparently on a Cadillac 472/500 you absolutely must use a NEW O-ring on the oil pickup tube every time you install it, or it won't develop proper oil pressure.
I'm not a Mopar guy, but do you think that could be the issue you're also having?

MikeGyver

Post by MikeGyver » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:39 am

Nope, new oring, new pump, new pickup tube

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:50 am

FIGJAM wrote:Sometimes there is a combination for resetting the computer.

Like turn the key on/off three times, pump the gas twice, wait 30 seconds, then start.

Check the forums for your vehicle.
True dat.

We had the 'two pump on the accelerator' primer for the engine for both a '69 Mercury Monterey and a '72 Ford Pinto stationwagon when I was growing up, too. Started the engine right up on cold days. I didn't know about the modern-day equivalent to reset the computer, other than pull the battery wire off the negative terminal. Did that once on a '86 Pontiac 6000 and it ended up costimg me $600.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:14 am

That's a different thing, on a non-computer carbureted engine pumping the throttle causes the accelerator pump to squirt some gas into the intake.
I'm trying to think of what else... maybe an oil gallery plug isn't there?
Are these new lifters?

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:19 am

Well Capt, I figured since it was you, that you installed 3 engines so you could haul MORE of "All the things"!!! :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:25 am

There was a time when I was seriously considering removing the transfer case from my 4-wheel-drive pickup and running the front driveshaft back to a second rear-facing engine in the bed!
I figured that added more capacity than just doubling the power, because there would be two separate transmissions and differentials each sharing about half the load instead of one drivetrain taking all the stress.
Fuel consumption would be ridiculous and the camper wouldn't fit though.
But it would sound great!!

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:26 am

And Redundancy!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

MikeGyver

Post by MikeGyver » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:39 am

New lifters, new cam, all plugs in position. good oil pressure, just not getting to the top end. Hopefully soaking the lifters over night solves the problem, Will find out after work today and let you all know.

1500ci dually sounds like fun.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:51 am

MikeGyver wrote:... good oil pressure, just not getting to the top end...
Some things to check here
http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-he ... 18-roller/
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:30 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:There was a time when I was seriously considering removing the transfer case from my 4-wheel-drive pickup and running the front driveshaft back to a second rear-facing engine in the bed!
I figured that added more capacity than just doubling the power, because there would be two separate transmissions and differentials each sharing about half the load instead of one drivetrain taking all the stress.
Fuel consumption would be ridiculous and the camper wouldn't fit though.
But it would sound great!!
Dude, not a bad idea. In fact, something similar (but not the same) was done with airplanes during WWII. Dornier came up with a front propeller+rear propeller aircraft, the Do335 'Pfeil' (Arrow). It was the fastest propeller-driven aircraft of World War II, but it was late in the war and no more than 20 were produced. The push me-pull you set up of the propellers actually was a valuable lesson in the application of centerline thrust to aircraft, which was used extensively in jets later on in aviation history. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_335.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

Tin Halo
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Tin Halo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:30 pm

^Rhino! wrote:... '72 Ford Pinto stationwagon when I was growing up...
AUUUUGH!!!! MAKE THE MEMORIES STOP!!

Can't remember if ours was brown or green (leaning towards green), but it had those nifty faux-wood panels on the side.

MikeGyver

Post by MikeGyver » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Its back together. Didn't have time before dark to screw with it more than finishing assembling. Started it up and didn't sound much different, but I only ran it for 30 seconds or so to make sure it ran. Will fuck with it tomorrow. Pretty much decided that I'm not driving it. I have to start actual prep, going to drive my cousins van. But I will sleep much better when it runs.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:01 am

This close to take-off with unsolved big issues, I was next going to suggest finding something else to drive!
I just bought a near-mint dually with a Cummins, and a fresh reman transmission, and I'm STILL worried about making it in one piece!

And now I'm also worried about paying this goddamm thing off...

MikeGyver

Post by MikeGyver » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:09 pm

You'll make it just fine, My grandpa in Texas has had the same cummins drivetrain in 3 trucks, deer and shit keep attacking him.

When I can eventually afford to, Ill buy one of those.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:27 pm

If a Cummins 5.9 is turned up beyond school bus power... install a pyrometer, and use it.
I often have to back off the power to keep it below max combustion temperature. But then it quickly becomes time for a downshift, and it is much happier at high RPM.
It's the old "Don't lug it".
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Tin Halo wrote:
^Rhino! wrote:... '72 Ford Pinto stationwagon when I was growing up...
AUUUUGH!!!! MAKE THE MEMORIES STOP!!

Can't remember if ours was brown or green (leaning towards green), but it had those nifty faux-wood panels on the side.
We didn't have the faux wood panels, and ours was tan. Dad kept telling me when it was new, "I;m going to drive this thing until I get the zip out of it and then you can use it."

We'd use it on weekends to haul off the yard waste generated from picking up sticks and rose bush trimmings.

By the time I DID get hold of it and my driver's license, I found that it was an idea way to stay warm and dry on Scout campouts with the back seat folded down. I saved my money on tentage, getting a GOOD one when we backpacked some of the Tennessee area. I continued in my cheapskate ways all the way to Burningman. First year was spent in the covered bed of my Toyota Tundra over at Rue morgue in '08. Sure enough, the precedent was set. I ended up getting a really good tent for the playa

Thanks, Dad.....for teaching me the value of thrift to get what I really want.

And I know what you mean, Tin Halo, about the memories......and my first dates in that car. I still don't know which one of the Johnson twins I went out with the first time, but I was a gentleman, and we went to see a funnier than hell movie....Alan Arkin and Peter Falk in the original "In-Laws"

Every time I hear the words serpentine belt discussing cars, I remember "Serpentine, serpentine....."

[media]

Thank you, Tin Halo, for reminding me.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:34 pm

If you serpentine everywhere you go, you will never be shot, and endlessly entertaining to the masses!!!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:07 pm

FIGJAM wrote:If you serpentine everywhere you go, you will never be shot, and endlessly entertaining to the masses!!!

Perhaps we need to do a combination Chinese fire drill and yell 'serpentine, serpentine' when we get to the meet and greet.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

Tin Halo
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Tin Halo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:53 pm

^Rhino! wrote: We'd use it on weekends to haul off the yard waste generated from picking up sticks and rose bush trimmings.
On that point, I've long thought it would be kinda fun - and funny - to chop one of those wagons down into a mini-Ranchero.
^Rhino! wrote:I still don't know which one of the Johnson twins I went out with the first time
(snicker) But eventually, one of the Johnson's got yours.

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:16 am

Tin Halo wrote:
^Rhino! wrote: We'd use it on weekends to haul off the yard waste generated from picking up sticks and rose bush trimmings.
On that point, I've long thought it would be kinda fun - and funny - to chop one of those wagons down into a mini-Ranchero.
^Rhino! wrote:I still don't know which one of the Johnson twins I went out with the first time
(snicker) But eventually, one of the Johnson's got yours.
Actually, that never happened. These were 'good girls'. Their primary use was as friends to see a movie with, and that usually turned out really well. I worked with both of them at the local Mexican eatery, and I was their favorite cook, because I got the food up hot, the order was correct, and it was plated in an appetizing manner.

I won't tell you what happened with any woman in any case, because I don't kiss and tell....but if a non-sexual SITUATION was great, you'll hear about it with the lady's blessing. Even my last girlfriend loved my BBQ beef brisket, using one of the best sauces on the planet doctored to MY stringent specifications.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

southern crone
Burning Since: 2014

Post by southern crone » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:21 am

Ok folks, a little help here. My daughter is looking at a 1989 Dodge Dakota Softie? convertible 4x4 truck. I've never heard of this before. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with these?

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:42 am

I had an '87 Dakota, it was a good little truck and I always thought the factory convertible pickup was super cool.
I've had friends with Dakotas. The downside to them, in my opinion, is that unless you just want the truck to be small, there's not much advatgage over a full-size because they get about the same crappy MPG. The little V8 they came with is one of the most reliable engines around though. In fact I believe the Chrysler 318 holds the record as the lowest warranty-return engine ever.

Elliot currently owns one I think. Maybe he'll chime in.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:44 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I had an '87 Dakota, it was a good little truck and I always thought the factory convertible pickup was super cool.
I've had friends with Dakotas. The downside to them, in my opinion, is that unless you just want the truck to be small, there's not much advatgage over a full-size because they get about the same crappy MPG. The little V8 they came with is one of the most reliable engines around though. In fact I believe the Chrysler 318 holds the record as the lowest warranty-return engine ever.

Elliot currently owns one I think. Maybe he'll chime in.
I had a 93 Dakota, v8. super good truck, and great power! got about 20 mpg on the open road.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:13 am

Mine is a 1998, which is a newer generation of the Dakota.

As the captain mentions, the rag-top version is for real. They were sold that way brand new at Dodge dealers.
As an aside, the truck was not actually built as a convertible by the factory, but was converted (pardon the pun) by American Sunroof Co., now named American Specialty Cars. ASC does such small-scale production/modification runs for practically all the World's auto manufacturers.

I would be concerned about getting parts for the convertible top. Not actually the availability, since anything can be hand-fabricated, but the cost. Hopefully this is not so, but it might be wise to look into it.

A mint specimen could have some collectible value, and might keep its value well in the long run. But a ragged one would not.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Return to “Open Discussion”