The Car Thread

All things outside of Burning Man.
Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: The Car Thread

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:29 am

This is due to the wireless connection cars are being stuffed with, these days. Several brands have been hacked (GM, Chrysler/Jeep).

It is all about being able to track cars and know what people are doing with them. Soon, we will have cameras in the car. Then they will be able to know what we are doing in the car, seeing how we will not be driving them in the near future.

When it was just engine management, I was fine with electronics. They can keep the rest of the crap. The problem is? The kids do not care. They gave up on any idea of privacy or controlling their lives when they signed up for Facebook.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:26 pm

I recognize the potential benefit of being able to locate and even stop a stolen car, for example. But I feel we are approaching the car theft problem from a wrong angle.
It cannot possibly be difficult to make cars practically theft proof.
And the few "successful" thieves should get ten years in a license plate factory.
End of car theft, pretty much.

Of course, I also agree it is a good thing that the car can call for help automatically after a crash.
But I bet am inclined to believe this could be done without exposing the car to hacking.

We are just setting the wrong priorities. We are letting computer programmers run society, and of course the programmers compete with each other to come up with the most clever new thing -- which the marketing people then inflict on the rest of us... because they can.

Well, back to more productive pursuits. :mrgreen:

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:03 pm

I like the things you listed as well, if it stopped there. It has not and that is my issue.

My Cobra will have a remote kill switch. A simple device to kill the engine if I am not in the car. I think that is a good thing. Although Cobras are rarely stolen, one has to be careful.

I think the biggest theft issue a Cobra has is a car hauler.

My constant velocity peripheral drive system design is finally coming together. WOOHOO!
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Hey Skuzzy, it's great that you got on here, you've been the catalyst that made The Car Thread one of the most active on eplaya. (Yay!!) You're up to some really cool shit down there.
I still think you're gonna be completely screwed into a messed-up future of building a frivolous, useless, senseless Mutant Vehicle. But judging by the level of execution on your cars, it's gonna be awesome!
I was offered a commission to build a mutant car. I had to turn it down. Too much on my plate, at the moment and not quite enough time to do the project right. Hated turning it down. Hopefully, they come back next year and want one.

Yes, it would have been awesome. Darn it!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:37 pm

A bunch of us got that letter, it's one of those plug & play "VIP" services that have been banned from eplaya and real playa.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:35 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:A bunch of us got that letter, it's one of those plug & play "VIP" services that have been banned from eplaya and real playa.
Ahhhhhh, good to know. They seemed liked real people, with a budget and some nice ideas.

Once I get the "PlugMaker 2020" built and running, I'll be able to make short work of custom cars. It is on the sidelines waiting for me to finish my other projects.

This weekend I'll be testing fitting the pumpkin cage for the IRS on the Cobra. This is where things get complex.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:50 pm

If I were contacted by them, I'd build it. But I doubt they would pay me what I want. For now I will keep plugging away on the Impala.

I'm waiting for the lower control arms and strut rods. Then powdercoat time!

I found a set of the old Delco spiral shock absorbers, and I am trying to find a way to rebuild them.
Praise the Lowered

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Slight thread drift,,,,but it is a V8...

This looks like a natural power source for those on modified skateboards on the playa : noisy and 9 hp!
Or two or four of them for a mutant vehicle:

[media]

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:16 am

Gotta love those little motors.

Big weekend for me. Got the pumpkin mounted in the frame. Ended up approximately 1/64" off in two axises and spot on in the third axis. Very happy with it. Would post pics, but I keep forgetting to take the camera over to the shop.

In the process of making the from lower control arms, discovered a couple of places needing gussets to spread the load a bit better and make the frame more rigid. When you do not have a roof, every little thing helps.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:50 am

DrIknow, That is the cutest little thing. Probably not the best choice for HP but irresistible just the same.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:24 am

Last week I fitted the pumpkin to the frame. This week we tack welded in the whole mess. The pumpkin is from a Ford Explorer. We figure it being designed for a 5,000 pound vehicle capable of towing 12,000 pounds it should hold up well in a 2200 pound car. It will be fitted with an Eaton TruTrac and 3:73 gears.

The axles are the same axles for the Explorer, just shortened and resplined. The uprights/spindles are going to be hand made from about 17 pieces of steel welded, bent, massaged, and mangled from mild steel.

The frame is being designed to cope with 1200HP. No, my engine horse power target is around 700HP SAE. We are using the finite element analysis in AutoDesk's Fusion 360 product for the computer testing of the frame and its components.

The "427 GT" was some we tossed into the plasma cutter for fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:38 am

DSCF0001s.jpg
Oh, here I am picking up the car from the previous owner. He got it to rolling stage and got stuck when it came to cutting the required holes in the body.

Since then, I have replaced the frame (new design I did) and the body (molded from a recent new Shelby Cobra) which is modified to add 4 inches in the length so I can have decent leg room. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:25 am

That looks like a fun project. Keep us posted.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:04 am

This phase represents a 45 year old dream of mine, to own a Cobra. After this project will be the Wife unit's 62 Corvette with C5 underpinnings.

Then the last planned phase will complete it all. The realization of a completely new automobile fabricated from my own design plans.

Yes,...fun stuff!

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Sun May 08, 2016 9:45 pm

My project 65 impala is coming along well. Got the frame and all related undercar parts back from powder coat. All that's left to do is assemble the rear diff. I went with a Detroit True Trac instead of the typical clutch pack variety. Yes it's not OEM. Yes I know this. No I don't care. It's the only non OEM part in the car, but it's such a better unit, and totally out of sight.

With any luck I'll be in paint in a month.
Praise the Lowered

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:40 am

I agree. I went with the Tru-Trac as well.

I have taken a step back from the project. When I posted the pics of what I was doing, at the Cobra site, I got flooded with requests to help install an IRS in about 32 other cars.

So I am redesigning it as an installable kit. One manufacturer is talking to me about providing it as an option to their kit as well.

I was going to do all this when I retired, but the demand may change my plans.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Sat May 21, 2016 10:43 pm

That is really cool. Which manufacturer?

I get asked to build cars all the time. But it's not worth it for me to do it as a side business. But when pressed, I tell them my rate is about 75k for a frame off build. And that only labor.
Praise the Lowered

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:08 am

Not wanting to jinx it. I'll say when the ink is dried on the check. :)

The uprights are the most difficult parts to make. Trying to come up with a new design which will be easier to make as well as more consistent. Might have to redesign the upper and lower control arm ends as well.

Still drawing.

I am just setting myself up for retirement. Being able to walk away from anything and take the jobs I want to take will be nice. To that en, my Cobra is going to be my advertising medium. It will get everything thrown into it.

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:42 am

Well, it took a while, but the uprights are almost done. The pics were taken before the final welds were made. The upright is compricsed of 16 pieces of plasma cut steel, hand formed, and welded together with a MIG welder. This was the last test fit. Next steps are to grind the seams, then sandblast, and powder coat.

After that, determine the precise length the axles need to be and send them off to get them cut down.

Then put it all together and commence testing.
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG
This is just fun stuff!

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:37 am

Car Art - http://www.carart.us/

Commercial site so not sure if OK. I'm not affiliated with it. Meant for clicks and kicks.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:22 pm

I haven't been on eplaya for a while...too many projects. But here is the readers digest version of the past month:

Finished phase 3 of the lowrat project Bel Air. Got all the lights to work, painted the dash, and installed new gauges. Next is interior, but for now she is a runner and good to go, at least for the foreseeable future.

Rebuilt the engine in the RV. Well, I did it 1.5 times. There was coolant in the oil. Traced it to a blown head gasket. Pulled the head, sent it to the machinist (not warped or cracked), replace the gaskets and fluids, and buttoned it all up. Took it for a test drive and there was 4 gallons of coolant in the oil.

Shit.

Pulled the head and dropped the pan. #6 liner was leaking like a sieve. So out come all the pistons and liners. The O-ring @ #6 was melted, causing the massive leak. One new piston, 6 liners, 6 ring sets, all new rod bearings, new oil cooler, and fluids, and it was up and running. Pretty big job, but was managable. Those big block Cummins were meant for in frame rebuilding, so that made it possible.

The 65 rag is almost ready for primer. I've been lagging on it for the last year, so I want to roll it by summer.

Just picked up a 63 impala wagon last month. As far as I can tell, it only has 27k original miles. Of course it's been disassembled for the last 20 years, and I bought it as basically a pile of parts, but it looks to be complete.

That's it for now.
Praise the Lowered

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:55 pm

It's alive!
A bit of Cummins stuff going on here also, though it is the little almost-a-Cummins 5.9 without replaceable liners.
239,000 miles, but ran just fine the 500 or so miles home from Oregon.
It is in a 1994 Blue Bird bus, so Millicent (my 1992 Blue Bird) can have a playmate.

This one was purchased sort'a as an accessory to the previous purchase of a 1955 Grumman Albatross amphibious aircraft. Well... the front 15 feet of the aircraft -- which will replace the front 15 feet of the school bus. The dimensions are remarkably close, and I have a big enough hammer to make them exact.

Loooong term project, I expect. Though... if I can concentrate on it for a few weeks....

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Elliot wrote:This one was purchased sort'a as an accessory to the previous purchase of a 1955 Grumman Albatross amphibious aircraft. Well... the front 15 feet of the aircraft -- which will replace the front 15 feet of the school bus. The dimensions are remarkably close, and I have a big enough hammer to make them exact.
Holy SMOKES.... is this what you're talking about?
albotros.JPG
"Boat" MV's with their own dock for two years (huge win!) and soon, there might be a airport art installation inside the fence full of aircraft or UFO MV's !

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:35 am

The latest up here is a new hot-rod plan for my 5.9 Cummins. I have a fully custom programmable tuner for it. One of its abilities is adding more fuel than stock by tapping into the wire on the electronically-controlled injector pump that operates the fuel solenoid. It can extend the length of time it fires each injector.
It works amazing, makes ridiculous power - BUT, it's also really hard on the injector pump, which soon fried.
The new arrangement is huge fuel injectors, leaving the solenoid wire untapped. That also avoids voiding the new injector pump's warranty, which expressly forbids such a mod.
Since the tuner allows complete custom tuning, I am able to create a fueling map that controls the huge injectors, backing the fuel down at lower boost so it doesn't pour black smoke, gradually ramping up the fuel as boost increases. It effectively lets me get away with much bigger injectors than I could otherwise, without melting the turbo or blacking out the sky.
Man this is one mean old Dodge now! Shuts down all but the really fast cars.

Head studs are next, I've been assured I'm about to blow the head gasket by a few guys who build and race these things.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:47 pm

More is better, 'Controlled' more is better yet..... 8)

So when are you going to start the Pullin' circuit?? :LOL
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Yes, but only the front 15 feet.
I sure wish they had left four more feet on, because by that point the walls are straight.

There is a complete one 20 miles from me -- same place mine came from. Maybe that one next? No bus body at all.

Here... I have marked roughly where Stuff will go.

Currently carving away "the boat":

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:40 pm

impressive Elliot!! and very cool
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Agreed! That is a project.... Will be watching.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:30 pm

As a docent at the California Auto Museum, I studied Henry Ford. He is supposed to have said...
"You cannot build a reputation on what you are going to do."

I try to keep that in mind.

It has also been said that one ought to always aim high.

So, I feel ready to pull the trigger on this project.

Of course... this could be a case of...
Last edited by Elliot on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:32 pm

"Ready, Fire, Aim!"

Return to “Open Discussion”