The Car Thread

All things outside of Burning Man.
Tin Halo
Burning Since: 2004

Re: The Car Thread

Post by Tin Halo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Ah...here we go... guess it was a mid-90's...

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:26 pm

That's not Studebaker, that's '49 Ford. And that's a commercially available kit. Personally I think they look like shit. I've seen them at car shows. The modern glass and rooflines and early body panels just plain don't merge well, even if Boyd Coddington was able to pull it off. Not many people are (were... RIP) Boyd Coddington.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:19 pm

Sorry about that. It had been long enough ago I couldn't quite remember; by the time I found the picture i couldn't edit the previous message.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:35 pm

There was one of those at the Las Vegas lowrider show. I had no idea it was a kit. I thought it was pretty ingenious engineering.

I wasn't too find of it either. Reminded me of the old vw bugs with the rolls royce grill...
Praise the Lowered

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote: The modern glass and rooflines and early body panels just plain don't merge well,
Perhaps in the back it's not so bad... but the difference between the arc of the back of the hood, and the almost non-existent arc of the roof/windshield junction, does look bad, yes.

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:49 pm

This is just a few blocks away from me.

I may have to steal it.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Possibly the biggest issue with that hacked T-bird is those horrible wheels. I would drive on those ONLY if I were stuck in the desert and they the were the only spares available. And even then I'd try to drive in the dark.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Wow halo that truck is the shit...

Is it available? Would make a sweet rat...
Praise the Lowered

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Oh hey captain, check your Facebook. I sent a cool picture of a gasser...
Praise the Lowered

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:09 pm

ranger magnum wrote:Wow halo that truck is the shit...

Is it available? Would make a sweet rat...
If you like that one, then I'll take a picture of the '40 Ford that the local welding shop has out front. It's fapalicious.

I'll probably steal that one, too.

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Wanna cry?

When we moved into the neighborhood, three or four houses down from us was a '56 Apache, in a state of super-neglect (yet salvageable); it was being used to store junk (literally) in the front yard of a run-down house that I never saw people come in or go out of. One day I came home from work and saw that not only the crap was gone but the truck had disappeared, as well. (House had been sold and has since been completely remodeled.) Few weeks later, I asked the guy that lives next door to that house what happened... he said it got hauled off to the dump.

I saw the look in his eye, as did he, mine. :cry:

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:39 am

ranger magnum wrote:Oh hey captain, check your Facebook. I sent a cool picture of a gasser...
Tin Halo wrote:Wanna cry?

When we moved into the neighborhood, three or four houses down from us was a '56 Apache, in a state of super-neglect (yet salvageable); it was being used to store junk (literally) in the front yard of a run-down house that I never saw people come in or go out of. One day I came home from work and saw that not only the crap was gone but the truck had disappeared, as well. (House had been sold and has since been completely remodeled.) Few weeks later, I asked the guy that lives next door to that house what happened... he said it got hauled off to the dump.

I saw the look in his eye, as did he, mine. :cry:

I guess I won't bother to tell him there ain't no such thing as a '56 Apache...

Funny/ironic you should send that photo of that Hemi powered Willys.
When I was a kid well, 14, I saw a movie I was pretty sure was called "Hot Rod". It was a dumb b-movie about a guy who wants to race in "the nationals" but the local Golden Boy with the rich dad keeps trying to run him outta town via the corrupt sherriff etc. His car gets wrecked and he scrapes up "a pre-war Willys" to put his Hemi in. It's grey primered, sits like a gasser (though it's actually an Altered) and of course he beats everyone.
That movie, at that time in my life, was a huge influence. It's why I always liked gasser style cars, especially Willys, and why my first car wore grey primer.
I've looked for that movie for decades. Just the other night I found it on YouTube, complete.
I just watched it, then you sent that picture of a Hemi powered Willys almost exactly like the one in the movie.
Cool huh?

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:10 am

About the Apaches, hell I had two of them, both '59s, and both ended up junked.
I've got a great story about my friend and what he did with his '56 Chevy stepside, when I'm home I'll write it.

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:42 pm

weren't Apaches from 55-59/60?
i'm probably confusing an apache and stepside. dunno.

i'm not a person that has to be 'right' about everything nor be an authority on something.
really, i don't care if you tell me there's no such thing... just don't be a dick about it, y'know?
if you have encyclopedic knowledge of this stuff that's great; recognize that others don't have the same value system you do, share it, educate others about it, etc.

just don't be a dick about it. that's all.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Tell me that in person.

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:24 am

For the past few years I've been a member of a automotive research forum and made a few bucks (Amazon gift cards) participating in their surveys. I received an email this morning stating that my vehicles no longer qualify me to be a member of the forum - 2004 Acura MDX and 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. No biggie, I do tend to keep my vehicles a long time, but their wording does leave a little to be desired - I tried to sign on to say "Goodbye" to a number of the forum members but my account has been "Banned" :shock:
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Tin Halo

Post by Tin Halo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Tell me that in person.
Oh, good. The hostile 'settle this with fists' type, brimming with intolerant brawn. Just what the world needs more of.
For evidence of how well that works, Google "American Foreign Policy".

That sort of stuff may have built Amurrikka, but it doesn't build a community.

Your response underscored my points. You're the type of mindset that I was so relieved to get away from when I graduated high school, as illustrated by some members of the football team. Congratulations! You win the thread. Oh, and as a bonus, you win the internet. How cool is that?

There are a couple of different routes a person in your position can go, when encountering someone who has information in error. 1) You can directly/indirectly insult them, berate them, and make effort to position them as some sort of complete dumbass and inferior to you (simply because they don't have the same knowledge and interests you do)

...or you can...

2) say "Hey, you know you might be thinking of (insert whatever here) instead of (insert whatever here), because they didn't make (insert whatever here) until (such-and-such year); if I posted some pics could you point out which one it was or most like?" That usually falls under the 'friendly', 'polite', and 'helpful' categories. They're not hard to find, I promise. And you know what's funny? You might actually have a more interesting and fun interaction with someone.

But you can't do that, because it somehow might taint your manhood. Or something. Maybe your best friends will look at you funny for a while, because you were actually nice to someone instead of putting them down.

After my last post - on the drive home from Denver, yesterday - I felt relief when I realized that it's time for me to give up on this thread. I'd love to engage in conversations - and learn some stuff - but it's apparent that I can't do so unless I have an exquisite knowledge of the American motor industry and am never wrong. My balls aren't big enough, I suppose. It's become a sort of 'members only' thread (sans shitty epaulets), where the Captain reigns because goddammit, this is the only thread here he gives a fuck about anymore. Since I'm not interested in being part of the dog and pony show for CG's entertainment, I don't really want to risk spoiling a collection of ones and zeros that are dear to an ego. Every minute I spend justifying myself to the Captain is one more minute I don't have to do things that matter, like hang with the cats, make things, talk to my Mom, or simply enjoy the scenery; as I only have a few years left, I can't afford to squander minutes in this manner anyway.
I'm out of energy for this, and a lot more.

Thanks, ranger magnum, for the paint tip. And I love your work, it's gorgeous and I'm envious that you're able to do it. I should be so lucky. Be well.

Oh, hey. Laundry's done. Gotta go.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:55 pm

I think 58 was the first year for the Apache, but I don't know much about trucks. My neighbor buddy is actively looking for a 58 as we speak. It will be the first time I will have a friend to wrench on cars with.

A bunch more parts arrived this week for the 58. The front end is pretty much done, so really all that I need to do is wire it, and paint the door jambs.

Im going to watch that movie tonight, Cap. I like movies like that. Tomorrow, I will watch Christine.

Watch Boulevard Nights sometime. It's a great look at lowriders and the culture in the 70's.

Any other automotive related movies you can think of?
Praise the Lowered

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:59 pm

ranger magnum wrote:I think 58 was the first year for the Apache, but I don't know much about trucks. My neighbor buddy is actively looking for a 58 as we speak. It will be the first time I will have a friend to wrench on cars with.

A bunch more parts arrived this week for the 58. The front end is pretty much done, so really all that I need to do is wire it, and paint the door jambs.

Im going to watch that movie tonight, Cap. I like movies like that. Tomorrow, I will watch Christine.

Watch Boulevard Nights sometime. It's a great look at lowriders and the culture in the 70's.

Any other automotive related movies you can think of?
The Love Bug. Solid Type I VW with paint job. Wasn't it #53?
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Tin Halo, no one wants to read long rants.
You called me a dick. I didn't threaten you - however, on an Internet forum where we are all quite likely to meet in person, you probably shouldn't say anything to anyone that you don't want to say in person.
Good god, I guess we shouldn't tell you there's no '56 Apache!

Yep, Herbie was #53, a 1963 "ragtop" (in VW Bug-speak, that's the huge canvas sunroof model, not the convertible). I know that car well (of course in reality many were built) because that movie came out when I was an impressionable little kid, and our family car was a white VW bug!
I still think "Herbie" in his race trim, with the widened "wide-five" wheels, is one of the coolest looking Bugs ever, if you can overlook all the Disneyism.

^Rhino!
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:18 pm

You think it was one of the coolest ever? I won't pass a judgement like that, but I will tell you this: I owned a Type III squareback.It gave me fits looking for a radiator until I found out that they were air-cooled. It came with an AM/FM/weather-band radio which was pretty good for figuring out the local weather. It got me to school and back once a day during senior year.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:36 pm

Coolest looking Bugs... far from coolest car!
THE coolest Bug I know of is one a friend built... full tube chassis, radiator and fuel tank in rear, blown Chevy small block up front poking through the bonnet.
But it wasn't a race car, it was a street car with a full interior and all.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:full tube chassis, radiator and fuel tank in rear, blown Chevy small block up front poking through the bonnet.
What type of glue was he using on his tires?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:16 am

It runs 10s!!

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:05 am

I always wanted to extend the controls and drive a bug from the back seat.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:01 am

Tin Halo, Don't bail out on this thread. I enjoy your posts. If everyone got all Butt-hurt from a little confrontation on this board, (including me), the place would be a ghost town. Get back on this horse and post damn it!
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:22 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:It runs 10s!!
He must have had some wrinkle wall drag tires and some tractor weights or sandbags for those kind of ETs.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:31 am

Jackass wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:It runs 10s!!
He must have had some wrinkle wall drag tires and some tractor weights or sandbags for those kind of ETs.
You are correct sir! (Drag slicks, but no ballast)
But it is a well set up chassis and it hooks up about as well as any.
Before it had the blower on it, the motor was completely under the hood and it looked reasonably normal, if you didn't notice how wide the rear tires were.

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Oh wise ones. My coworker is going to rent a car and abandon her 09 Pontiac vibe because today on the way to work it was accelerating while she was trying to brake. It scared her. I would fix it and use it as an extra car if I knew these aren't throw away cars.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:29 pm

If you're going to keep an extra, make sure it's a good extra.

I have several extras...sometimes you just want to keep them all.

It allows you to be more economical and tactical when deciding which one to use.

Return to “Open Discussion”