The Car Thread

All things outside of Burning Man.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: The Car Thread

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Modern cars are pretty much all throwaways. When the electronics become janky and/or obsolete, you're pretty much screwed.
If I was choosing an "extra" to have lying around I'd go with something pre-computer.
It'll always run, or be easy to make run.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:40 pm

You're right again. I'll just keep the 81 Mercedes. It has 250,000 miles but it is a diesel. Probably get another 50 or 100 out of it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:57 pm

Does she want to get rid of her Pontiac for cheap? If so, let me know. I'll snap it up
Praise the Lowered

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:46 am

Are you gonna put 5.20 13s and Dayton's on it ?

:)

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 am

Ratty wrote:You're right again. I'll just keep the 81 Mercedes. It has 250,000 miles but it is a diesel. Probably get another 50 or 100 out of it.
good call! which model is it?
I have a 72 220D, 78 240 D (both manual trans), and an 85 300D .

love 'em all. I have to replace/repair the rear quarter panel in the 85. it got hit and runned.......and I got the car for free. Imacculate otherwise, one owner, well maintained by my MBZ mechanic. It'll be a great driver when I get done.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:37 am

The 81 is a 300. We also have an 83 I think it's a 300 too. Both great cars. The 83 is in perfect shape. The 81 has a trunk full of water, the windows don't work, pretty beat up inside but otherwise great.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:15 am

DP
Last edited by ygmir on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:16 am

Ratty wrote:The 81 is a 300. We also have an 83 I think it's a 300 too. Both great cars. The 83 is in perfect shape. The 81 has a trunk full of water, the windows don't work, pretty beat up inside but otherwise great.
with moderate care, those cars will go 400K miles. and run on a variety of fuels........I make my own at times from used motor oil mixed with red diesel, and run through a centrifuge, which removes water and particles down to less than one micron.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:46 pm

The voltage regulator is acting weird in my '86 GMC dually... I guess I get to pull the alternator apart and go through it.
Some of you guys know, but for the benefit of anyone unfamiliar - the parts store alternators are absolute SHIT! The so-called rebuilds consist of cleaning the cases and replacing whatever part failed. A lot of people know that, but it gets worse; all the cores they start with are disassembled and the parts reassembled at random. Different cars, or even the same cars with different equipment (such as A/C or electric fans etc.) originally came with similar-looking alternators of different outputs.
The mass rebuilders don't differentiate between them. Regardless of what they tell you, or what the box says, you don't know what alternator you're really getting when you buy a rebuild. It may be marked and sold as a 63-amp unit but it's really got a 30-amp stator. You don't know what the hell you're getting.
They use the wrong grease on the bearings or not enough or none... they leave suspect, but still functioning parts in place. They never last as long as they should.
Buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. They are simple. Or, if there's a good auto electric shop around, have them go through the thing. Buy a parts store rebuilt alternator only if you are broke down in the middle of nowhere.

The one I'm about to tear apart was one of those parts-store units, that I bought because mine died on a road trip to Oregon a few years ago. It's not very old and I don't drive the truck very much, It hasn't got many hours on it. It shouldn't have already failed... well... yeah, I suppose it should have.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:The voltage regulator is acting weird in my '86 GMC dually... I guess I get to pull the alternator apart and go through it.
Some of you guys know, but for the benefit of anyone unfamiliar - the parts store alternators are absolute SHIT! The so-called rebuilds consist of cleaning the cases and replacing whatever part failed. A lot of people know that, but it gets worse; all the cores they start with are disassembled and the parts reassembled at random. Different cars, or even the same cars with different equipment (such as A/C or electric fans etc.) originally came with similar-looking alternators of different outputs.
The mass rebuilders don't differentiate between them. Regardless of what they tell you, or what the box says, you don't know what alternator you're really getting when you buy a rebuild. It may be marked and sold as a 63-amp unit but it's really got a 30-amp stator. You don't know what the hell you're getting.
They use the wrong grease on the bearings or not enough or none... they leave suspect, but still functioning parts in place. They never last as long as they should.
Buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. They are simple. Or, if there's a good auto electric shop around, have them go through the thing. Buy a parts store rebuilt alternator only if you are broke down in the middle of nowhere.

The one I'm about to tear apart was one of those parts-store units, that I bought because mine died on a road trip to Oregon a few years ago. It's not very old and I don't drive the truck very much, It hasn't got many hours on it. It shouldn't have already failed... well... yeah, I suppose it should have.
I just had to do that..........alternator on my F250 failed in Packwood,WA.
Luckily, gramma knows the only parts place (NAPA) and shop in town, so called him at home and he agreed to come down on Sunday morning (20 deg.) and help me.
Though I can change it with ease, I felt obligated to pay him to, since he went so far out of his way and on a holiday, to help me.
we changed all 3 idler wheels too.

600 bucks, and the light is off, and the batteries are charged!! and he backed you, capt. he said he'd not use a rebuilt(which he sold me) unless time was important and all, as it was in my circumstance..........

though on testing, it was putting out 90 amps initially,so the 120 amp plate may well be pretty accurate.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Im a diesel fanatic. Between my 3 Dodge trucks owned over the last 15 years, I have amassed nearly a million miles.

I also had a 76 Mercedes 240 D, which was the last year of the W114/115 body style. Great car, but gutless, as it was a 4 cylinder normally aspirated diesel. It didn't actually accelerate, it theoretically gathered speed, up to about 70 or so.
Praise the Lowered

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:18 pm

ranger magnum wrote:Im a diesel fanatic. Between my 3 Dodge trucks owned over the last 15 years, I have amassed nearly a million miles.

I also had a 76 Mercedes 240 D, which was the last year of the W114/115 body style. Great car, but gutless, as it was a 4 cylinder normally aspirated diesel. It didn't actually accelerate, it theoretically gathered speed, up to about 70 or so.
me too. I have a 93 W350 Cummins Dually 4x4, a 00 F250 7.3L, and yeah, my 78 240D is not a speed demon......but it does ok in traffic, just not hills. All the 4 cyl MBZ are NA. the 300D is the best 5 cyl (IMHO), but my fav was my 86 300 SDL..........6 cyl faster and more economical than the 300D, as well as bigger and heavier.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Captain is spot on.

I always rebuild my own stuff, if I know it's OEM, or a quality reman. The cheapo auto parts alternators sometimes aren't even clocked correctly. And I've had some that were bad right out of the box.

Especially if it's for a vintage GM. Most alternators, generators, starters, and carburetors have date tags on them. These are highly sought after, as they make a correct restoration that much better.

I've even rebuilt water pumps. The OEM units have date castings on them that indicate the year it was introduced; aftermarket units do not.
Praise the Lowered

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Cummins 5.9's are great motors. Most can go 300-600k, depending on maintenance. If you drop an injector, you'll likely take out a piston, but otherwise not much can go wrong. I've got 310k on my 97, and other than two starters, two alternators, and three serpentine belts, it's had nothing go wrong.

I love manual transmissions (though I am shopping for a 997 turbo, and won't mind a tiptronic trans. It's actually a true F1 style transmission. Prior iterations were simply an automatic with paddles). I have a 5 speed NV 4500 behind the Cummins, and other than the 5th gear nut falling off the output shaft, it is also bullet proof.
Praise the Lowered

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:52 pm

When I was much younger I used to detail cars. I picked up and delivered a lot of them, so I drove a lot of Mercedes in the 1980s. I got very familiar with '80s 300Ds.
One day I picked up an ordinary looking, grey four door Benz. The usual drill when pulling out into traffic in a 300D was to just floor it. So I did, and this thing screeched its tires and took off like a muscle car! Holy shit! I actually got out of the car at the first stoplight and walked around behind it to see what it was. All it said was "6.9". I've since learned what that car really was, an extremely expensive, very rare, high-performance car, the absolute top of the Mercedes line at that time.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:29 am

yeah the early 300D's were NA IIRC. the turbo made a huge difference.
My 300 SDL would not lay scratch off a stop, but would in the 1-2 shift. For a big heavy car, that was impressive. As well as a diesel engine that could turn 5K rpm.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 am

The 6.9 was a 6.9 liter gas V8, and quite the animal!
I would like to have a 300D. Several years ago I almost got one the same way, had quarter panel damage but otherwise choice, for nearly free. But the deal fell through. Husband wanted to dump it and not screw with it but the wife said "No!"

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:34 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:The 6.9 was a 6.9 liter gas V8, and quite the animal!
I would like to have a 300D. Several years ago I almost got one the same way, had quarter panel damage but otherwise choice, for nearly free. But the deal fell through. Husband wanted to dump it and not screw with it but the wife said "No!"
ha, that's how I got mine!! I was going to put the engine in one of my Jeeps, but have finally realized, I can not live long enough to finish, or even get going, on all the projects I envision.

so, I'll put a fender from a spare 123 chassis I have here (surprise,there are extra parts rigs here), and see if I can make it ok.

I"m going to have to put a new clutch in the M35.......well, with 48" tires, at least there's room to work under it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:09 pm

I loved those big Mercedes. A friends dad had one; it was always in the shop. The hydro-pneumatic suspension was not the most reliable system, though arguably pretty cool from an engineering standpoint. While it was pretty quick for a big car, it only made about 250 horsepower. Not a lot from nearly 460 cubes, but the US version suffered from about a 10% deficit in power from the European version.
Praise the Lowered

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:24 pm

Well today I finally got around to turning wrenches on the '55.
It's never started right. I just put in a new old original type bellhousing, so I can use the original style starter that bolts into the bellhousing (not up into the block). New motor mounts while I was at it, since '55s have the motor mounts on the bellhousing not the block sides.
I got an old original starter and swapped the old nose cone onto a newer starter, so that can go on.
New flywheel too.
Next session will be with the sawzall. I'm gonna hack the old ground-dragging, starter-cooking headers into as many pieces as it takes to get them out, and bolt in the new chrome block-hugger shorty headers. I might actually get to drive this thing by next summer!
There's LOTS more to do though.

southern crone
Burning Since: 2014

Post by southern crone » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:11 am

My daughter, 27, and her husband are down visiting from Canada. They took my 85 VW Campmobile on an overnight road trip to visit a college friend. It ran great and they loved it. Yes, yes, yes. My $3,500 investment just became priceless.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Finally! I was contemplating coming up there and kidnapping you, holding you at wrenchpoint, and forcing you to work on that car!

As far as starters go, I'm sold on the mini high torque starters. Put one in the 58 and it spins that motor pretty fast. Plus, being smaller in size, it doesn't get cooked as bad as the OEM style.

What size ring gear are you using? If memory serves me, 168 were for big blocks, and 153 were small blocks. But if you run a 168 on a small block, the starter gets more leverage on the gear, and thus draws fewer amps.
Praise the Lowered

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:20 am

starting this weekend im putting 75 ply slant six and trans in my 66 valient
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:15 am

Ha! Tatonka back in the '80s I put a '65 slant six from a wrecked Valiant into a '75 Duster.

The small block Chevys also used the 168 tooth flywheel. The smaller ones came about later, on the smaller cars in the early '60s with small clutches.
Mine is 168.
I considered a gear reduction mini starter but without the old starter-frying headers I should be fine.
I am going to do what everyone with an old-school GM car should do - short out the starter solenoid terminals with a piece of copper pipe hammered flat with holes drilled in it and bolted onto the battery and start terminals. Then, instead of hooking the battery and start wires down there, hook them to a Ford-style solenoid elsewhere in the engine compartment, with a battery wire from the switched side going down to the shorted-out original solenoid.

This usually completely cures the classic Chevy hot-start issue. It's also a lot easier to change starters from then on. No tiny solenoid wires that you can't see or reach, and you don't even need to disconnect the battery first because now there's no hot power at the starter at all unless the key is in the "start" position. I've done this on a few 454s that had problems cranking when hot, and it fixed it.

Here's the old and new headers:
In the car:
Aside from cooking the starter, the old headers banged on the ground (the car sits pretty low) and always leaked because of it:

At my end the engine shot is upside down even though the original photo isn't, I dunno why it's doing that.

I'll post pictures later of how to do the hot-start-curing starter solenoid trick. It's very simple.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Well I just placed an order for new clutch linkages and bushings.
I also ordered a new master cylinder, wheel cylinders, and flex lines. No disc or upgrade, just stock replacements because although the budget for this car is tight right now, all that stuff is at least 40 years old, maybe (probably) even original from 1955 and I don't consider it safe to drive at all.

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:06 pm

Yea, show me that solenoid trick.

Drum brakes are fine as long as high performance driving isn't on the menu.

Those headers look great. No more bashing them into the ground. Love the dual carbs. What size are they?
Praise the Lowered

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:01 pm

The carbs are 600s... it's over-carbed, but who cares, a small-block Chevy with a single 4-barrel is too plain vanilla. I've swapped on a single carb intake just for fun, it idled smoother and had a little more bottom-end, but the dual quads really roar in the mid-range and upper end. Looks way better too.
It looks like tonight isn't a garage night, but when I get a chance I'll take some good descriptive photos of the solenoid trick.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:The carbs are 600s... it's over-carbed, but who cares, a small-block Chevy with a single 4-barrel is too plain vanilla. I've swapped on a single carb intake just for fun, it idled smoother and had a little more bottom-end, but the dual quads really roar in the mid-range and upper end. Looks way better too.
It looks like tonight isn't a garage night, but when I get a chance I'll take some good descriptive photos of the solenoid trick.
well if one quad is too little, and two too big....how about a pair of deuces?, dual looking good without the toilet bowl flush of two quads.

and yeah, I've done that GM starter thing, too. an extra, too, is with the Ford type, starter system, it's super easy to jump, if your key start system ever fails, and instant solenoid check..

by the way, I remember long ago "tuning" headers at the collector so the high point of the pulse exits just at the opening.......or am I remembering through goggles of the 70's?.........do you do that? or is it even a "thing"....sure seems like I remember it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ranger magnum

Post by ranger magnum » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:25 am

I picked up a tri power for my sb. I need to rebuild the carbs, and buy/devise/fabricate a linkage. It wasn't until too long ago that I found out all three carbs don't open simultaneously. The outboard carbs don't open until the center is around 40%.

Makes sense if you think about it.

The only header tuning I ever knew about was making each tube equal length. Unless you are dealing with two strokes. I raced AMA superbike back in the day, in the 250 GP class. Expansion chamber design requires a PhD. Convergence, divergence, SIN waves, optimum engine rpm, exhaust, intake, transfer and boost port size..... Shit the list goes on and on.

In any event Captain, your chevy is cool.

Are you using Flowmasters? They sound great behind a well built SBC and 2" pipes.
Praise the Lowered

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:06 am

So yesterday some old friends tell me they are getting rid of their 67 bug. They aren't the original owners but she bought it in 1969 for $1500. It had been garaged and was virtually brand new. Maintained all these years and protected from the weather. I've always wanted their car but so does everyone that sees it. They don't have internet so I offered to check the price and get right back to them. It's totally stock, perfect condition and 120,000 miles. Shit. I can't buy it. 8K to 30K online. They said their mechanic was offering 5K. I bet he was. Californians are crazy about old bugs.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Open Discussion”