The Bar 2014 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: The Bar 2014 Edition

Post by Savannah » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:39 pm

delle wrote:Were the security cams working? I'd love to see what the bots were up to during our absence.
I got some reading done; worked on a few crafts.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:42 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Lapbanned of Brothers

It's a new reality show combining basic training and bariatic surgery.
This made me laugh. :lol:

Thanks Trilo for rescuing us!

*pours another round*
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:49 pm

The giant muffler man has my beer proxy tonight. Go muffler man!
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Oooh. Can I send in a statue of Paul Bunyon to do mine?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Sure! He's best at opening the beers though.
here's a fun variant, "To the moon!"

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:14 pm

I think that MDF has a John Frum statue for hers.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Soooooo.... Anyone have a good anxiety coping mechanism that does not involve getting blackout drunk?

And doesn't involve going outside.

And lets me get a few hours of sleep?
Sic Semper Spectatores

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Re-read a favorite book. Skip to the best parts. Read in bed, until you're sleepy. Don't turn off the light--it will only make you wake up again if you move. Just don't have the light in your eyes.

Note: this works best if you're not sharing a room with someone who will be disturbed if you leave the light on.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:58 pm

I agree with Fishy, I'll add perhaps a hot bath and go to bed, read there, or just lie still. Going to bed is as good as getting drunk sometimes. Then the problem is waking up around 2:00 in a dread panic. Then read, or listen to the radio... repeat as needed.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Elorrum wrote:I agree with Fishy, I'll add perhaps a hot bath and go to bed, read there, or just lie still. Going to bed is as good as getting drunk sometimes. Then the problem is waking up around 2:00 in a dread panic. Then read, or listen to the radio... repeat as needed.
I panicked at 1:30 am the other night. It was genuinely awful. Worst I ever had. I got back to sleep by not just counting numbers but adding the digits of the numbers together as I counted.

1=1
2=2
127= 10

I keep telling myself that this is just money and we've lost money on deals before. But all I can see now on the deal are the warts. Not the good parts. I'm not handling it too well. Kinda disappointed in myself. I want to ask my dad how he's learned to deal with the feeling, but I'm not sure how he'd take it.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:23 pm

VultureChow wrote:
Elorrum wrote:I agree with Fishy, I'll add perhaps a hot bath and go to bed, read there, or just lie still. Going to bed is as good as getting drunk sometimes. Then the problem is waking up around 2:00 in a dread panic. Then read, or listen to the radio... repeat as needed.
I panicked at 1:30 am the other night. It was genuinely awful. Worst I ever had. I got back to sleep by not just counting numbers but adding the digits of the numbers together as I counted.

1=1
2=2
127= 10

I keep telling myself that this is just money and we've lost money on deals before. But all I can see now on the deal are the warts. Not the good parts. I'm not handling it too well. Kinda disappointed in myself. I want to ask my dad how he's learned to deal with the feeling, but I'm not sure how he'd take it.
oh, honey... I think talking to someone who's had the same experience is a good idea, someone who loves you is not a bad place to start. Think about the next thing, and remember, this won't last.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:34 pm

VultureChow wrote:Soooooo.... Anyone have a good anxiety coping mechanism that does not involve getting blackout drunk?

One trick I use is headphones and some old, old rock and roll burned to CDs. This is the stuff that was playing when I was in grade school, Jr. High, etc. Journey. Rush. Styx. Kansas. You get the idea.

For me it takes me back, lets me remember the good and aimless times, lets me revisit old friends and places and foibles, and always puts a smile on my face. It's soothing, perhaps because the past is so *sure*. And then I wake-up a few hours later better able to cope with Real Life.

It's definitely a crutch, but IMHO it's a harmless one, and it gets the 2 AM Monsters to stop howling long enough to get some REM sleep. Try it with a benadryl and glass of decaf chai tea! :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

delle

Post by delle » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:41 pm

VultureChow wrote:Soooooo.... Anyone have a good anxiety coping mechanism that does not involve getting blackout drunk?

Lately I've been doing some light yoga before going to sleep. Deep breathing (in and out thru the nose only) and good relaxing stretching.

When I start to panic when already in bed, I do the deep breathing again... but with one twist...

I have a fan running at night - just because - When the bad thoughts start to come in I start to focus on the sound of the fan. I've gotten pretty good actually at that being all I hear or think about. It's kind of a meditation technique - replacing actual thoughts with nothing important.

With the breathing, I find it gets me back into a state where I can fall asleep again much faster than if I don't do it.

Good luck!!!
Insomnia sucks...
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:25 pm

@VultureChow - anxiety and stress can cause physical tension - a hot shower/bath before bedtime can be helpful in reducing it. Silly as it sounds, so can warm milk (though not a big glass, or you'll be up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night). From there, I recommend putting on music (preferably a favorite album) at the lowest volume you can manage. As low as possible, so you can only really hear it well if you lie there still. Then do that, lie there still and just enjoy the music.

Another thing that I find can put me to sleep (regardless of whether I'm suffering from high anxiety or not) is a good BBC documentary. That's not to say the shows are boring, but their shows aren't produced to constantly hype things and play dramatic music leading into or coming out of every commercial break. I think my favorite is one that the BBC did a few years back called Planet Earth. I think Sigourney Weaver narrated the US version, but if you can find the UK version it's presented by David Attenborough. Man, that guy's a rockstar at presenting fascinating material in the most soothing of tones.

As for me, I'll definitely be up late tonight - heading into Middle Earth. Midnight screening of Desolation Of Smaug, I'm very excited about that.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm sorry you're feeling poorly, VultureChow. (I have had exactly one panic attack in my life some years back when I was recovering from bronchitis and it was astonishingly scary.)

Melatonin might help get you sleepy enough not to wake spontaneously. I remember Junglesmacks loves the stuff.

This is just Wikipedia, but it's a good starter resource. It's (apparently) good for a lot more than I knew.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Some others, a little better:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... l/940.html <-- in which I note it is use to reduce anxiety before surgery.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/melato ... ts/AN01717

I might try it myself; my sleep schedule is unusually bad right now. I can sleep enough if I can just get going . . . but I keep wanting to stay up later and later.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:31 pm

I don't know where to gloat, this seems like a good place. Just found out my boss's band came in at #4 on paddy rocks top albums of 2013. They came in above drop kick murphys! We have been trying to convince them to go back out on tour for the past 2 year. Jackasses lol. If you come by our camp, yes they are in rotation, we love our Celtic punk and rock, :D
He is the best boss I have ever had. (I'm lead bartender at an Irish pub) drinks all around.. Whiskey of course. Bushmills or Jamie?

http://www.paddyrock.com/home/best-of-c ... -for-2013/
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

tinymystic
Burning Since: 2013

Post by tinymystic » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:17 am

Savannah wrote: Melatonin might help get you sleepy enough not to wake spontaneously. I remember Junglesmacks loves the stuff.

This is just Wikipedia, but it's a good starter resource. It's (apparently) good for a lot more than I knew.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Some others, a little better:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... l/940.html <-- in which I note it is use to reduce anxiety before surgery.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/melato ... ts/AN01717

I might try it myself; my sleep schedule is unusually bad right now. I can sleep enough if I can just get going . . . but I keep wanting to stay up later and later.
Melatonin is great stuff! I use it several times to sleep. It helps me to be able to fall back to sleep right away, cuz, I wake up a lot during the night. If I don't take it, I have a really difficult time getting back to sleep. Also, it doesn't make be groggy and listless the following morning. But, you can't take it every night, because you build a tolerance, so, got to break it up a little.
'no day like today"
~ tinymystic

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:08 am

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

I don't have trouble falling asleep, I can't stay asleep anymore. Six hours, tops, but then I want a daytime nap. I reduced the light sources in the bedroom with blackout curtains and covering the face of the bedside clock, and that helped immensely. But yeah, when I'm stressed and the monkey mind is swinging branch to branch, it is difficult to find a way to calm things down and let go enough to sleep.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:33 am

I've been waking up at 2 or three, or 12:30, for the last three weeks. Finding something soothing to listen to on the radio, or on my tablet, helps pass the time. What I aim for is to stay relaxed, and willing to sleep. I don't mind that state too much if I can't fall back to sleep, it's still sort of pleasant if it doesn't involve hard anxiety. I also use the getting up early time to have as nice a start to the day as possible. Have a nicer breakfast with my coffee. Make a thermos of tea to take to work. Iron a shirt since I have the time. check eplaya. I'm glad it is Friday, but there's too much to get done today. I'll do my best.
AntiM, I like your decorations. I think I'll drive around tonight and see who's got lights.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:39 am

happy friday the 13th!

eggnog for EVERYONE!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:52 am

*serious face*

i know it's illegal still in most states, but in all honesty, i would NEVER sleep if it wasnt for my green meds.

seriously....i am an insomniac and will go for 4-5 days until the cray cray world engulfs me and i have to be "put down"...

just a thought, and i dont want anyone to get in trouble with the Law, but it does work, i do sleep, and it helps me to do so. 8)

*serious face off*
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:19 am

:coffee: :coffee: :| :coffee: Friday the 13th it is..I'm lucky, the CPAP meter reads I sleep average 9 1/2 hours a night..I do take a drug that controls a medical problem.. I go to sleep 5 hours after taking it.. I wake up wide awake in the morning.. Also I can function if woke up in the middle of the night..

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am

i get 4 hr max a night , 6 on a lucky night .
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:45 am

*strolls in, makes CEC*
Hi gang.
I've been a lucky sleeper. Seems I can sleep anywhere, any time. 8 ish per night if allowed, and can just sit and sleep in moments, if napping is needed. I can also stay up a couple of days if necessary, and or cat nap to last.........
though the doc says I have sleep apnea. I'll know more when I get new insurance and change docs, hopefully all in January.

and yes, it's Friday!! thankDAWG!!

*strokes Juke, heads for IBBOD*

[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:00 am

When I was in the Navy, I could keep ridiculous hours. Awake with only catnaps for up to 72 hours. I could sleep anywhere, anytime, because a sailor never knows when the next sleep period arrives.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:16 am

ygmir wrote:*strolls in, makes CEC*
Hi gang.
I've been a lucky sleeper. Seems I can sleep anywhere, any time. 8 ish per night if allowed, and can just sit and sleep in moments, if napping is needed. I can also stay up a couple of days if necessary, and or cat nap to last.........
though the doc says I have sleep apnea. I'll know more when I get new insurance and change docs, hopefully all in January.

and yes, it's Friday!! thankDAWG!!

*strokes Juke, heads for IBBOD*

[media]
I have seen you fall asleep sitting up a couple of times. It's wonderful!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

bedlamdoll
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: BRC Hardware

Post by bedlamdoll » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:49 am

Morning all!

Sleep-I've pretty much been functioning on four hours of sleep a night since my teens. Not necessarily intentionally, and I've tried a lot of different methods to fix it-Ambien just makes me silly and certain green natural meds just making me slow down a lot, but not enough to be sleepy. I've resigned myself to it-at least I get a lot done while I can't sleep?

delle

Post by delle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:00 am

Sleep.

There's been much talk on the nets (especially facebook) these days about how we're actually doing it wrong

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

Giving yourself 12 hours - 4 hours sleep, followed by 4 hours awake, followed by another 4 hours of sleep, appears to be more what the body requires. It's a format which occurs naturally in many people, but that we tend to fight because it's not what we were taught was proper.

The trick is to use those 4 middle awake hours properly. NOT dwelling on shit. NOT just lying there trying to get back to bed.

One of my doctors recently told me -- without alluding to this process -- that it is important for me to get out of bed once it has become obvious that all I would be doing there is letting my wild brain drive me to distraction. If you allow it to let off its steam properly, it will settle down and get back to a rested state, so you can get those additional, needed hours in.

Shel Silverstein

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:03 am

I second Trilo's suggestion about Sir David Attenborough. That man can talk me to sleep anytime. He is so interesting and so unselfconscious that he completely turns off all my self-concerns and blocks all intrusive thoughts. And he shows me beautiful things. 8)

Another great resource for me is the pod-cast "Welcome to Nightvale." It's theater-of-the-absurd disguised as a small town community radio show, and, yup, takes me to a whole 'nother world. 8)

Also: warm milk. I put vanilla sugar in mine.

Also, what Delle said: Get out of your bed if you can't sleep. Don't fill your pillow with poisonous thoughts.

((((VultureChow)))
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

delle

Post by delle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:27 am

MyDearFriend wrote:Don't fill your pillow with poisonous thoughts.
My original reaction to this was the thought that I should probably have just fucking BURNED my pillows a hundred times at least over the last year.

Then I remembered how much they cost me. I do like a good quality feather pillow.

THEN I remembered a little trick I used to do religiously, and then somehow spaced. (having nothing really to do with sleep, but more with bedding maintenance)

Did you know that if you put unwashable things like feather pillows, or duvets or couch cushions or mattresses (feather or otherwise) outside when it's colder than -22c it kills all the dustmites that have accumulated in there?

Guess whose porch is now full of unlikely stuff??? :-)

I like that the ultra cold has a usefulness other than getting me to sweep the floor and do the dishes.

Shel Silverstein

Return to “Open Discussion”