The Bar 2014 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.
mgb327

Re: The Bar 2014 Edition

Post by mgb327 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:01 am

How odd you would post that FIGJAM, as I am going to meet with the owner of a Bush & Gertz, Chicago, nickelodeon. Big machine, stained glass and all the instruments inside. Drums, zylophone, bells, woodblocks, tambos, a bunch of accessories. I will probably buy it, but the problem is that I will need to move it. Probably 1/2 ton. I will post film when I get it here......I just love my job.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:20 am

Hey MGB... I just remembered I was supposed to send you some car pictures, a long time ago when life was hectic and I never got around to it. I'll have to do that.

Last night I was explaining to the First Mate who LeChatNoir was and telling her all about his "Contraption" and it's various forms of power it had at different times, which led to an explanation of what a "Hit and Miss" engine was. When we got home we watched a TV pawn shop show and the first thing that happened was a guy came in with an antique salesman's miniature working model of one, which led to the shop owner - the show's main character - giving almost the exact explanation I'd just given.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:12 am

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:33 am

Hey, Captain, LTNS! Glad to have you, Karine, and LeChat around!

I too remember the Contraption with great respect.
ygmir wrote:Hey gang!
I'm in Yacolt, WA!!

yeah Rhino, by mentioning "green beryl" I was seeing who'd bit on emeralds and aquamarines......haha
The place I find them, is within earshot of I80 between Lovelock and Winnemucca, maybe 3 miles away?

I'm pretty familiar with the areas between Lovelock and the playa, what in those USGS reports caught your fancy?
there is some damn cool stuff in that area............from rutilated quartz crystals, to standing petrified trees, red plume agate to florite, fire opals in blue matrix, hollow basalt "bubbles", geodes, antimony, galena, columnar basalt and rhyolite, , oh, someone stop me.........ahhhaaa
Any of those basalt 'bubbles' contain zeolites, or maybe a peridot (olivine) or two?

Antimony? Meaning stibnite crystals?

I got better galena here. Guar-an-teed. We have both cubic and cuboctrahedrons (octahedral faces imposed on a cube making a funny looking dodecahedron - very common in the isometric crystal system for cubic sulfides). One of my buds works as the mine geologist at Viburnum #28, the Casteel mine. He went downshaft one day to verify shot safety, and at the 1260 (1260 feet below ground) level the shot opened up a cavity about 50' long. They went inside the cavity and the floor, ceiling, and sides had crystals encrusting all the surfaces there, like a miniature fairlyland beyond all capacity of man to reach easily. They stood in wonder with their miner's lamps on, as the crystals winked with the reflections. Galena, calcite, sphalerite, chalcopyrite, and even a little bit of dolomite and bastnaesite (rare earth carbonate). They managed to salvage all they could, and brought it up to the rock shop that Doe Run operates in Viburnum. They hadn't had a haul like it in years. Some of the slabs were priced in the thousands of dollars.

I've personally been down in #28, #35, and the old Westfork mines. Collecting. Came out with some nice scalenohedra of calcite, but nothing to top the 4' long doubly terminated scalenohedron that today sits atop the salad bar at the Best Western Inn in Viburnum. Amazing things. Bigger than 4 feet long.

We've got just as big down in Joplin in the old Tristate District. One documented photo I've seen has a 10' long scalenohedron still under Joplin that was left when one of the mines flooded out.

Bastnastite is this one:

We have bastnaestite in the fractures at the Pea Ridge mine near Sullivan, Missouri. Pea Ridge is a producer of high-grade magnetite ore for iron and steelmaking. The rare earths come as a byproduct. In a few years, they'll have up to 600,000 tons of recoverable byproduct sitting on the ground just waiting to be refined (and THAT is a huge problem/expense, because it takes advanced inorganic chemical methods to refine the stuff in the form the ore is currently in). China produces 97% of the world's rare earth supply, and they've deliberately locked up the market to control the price. With the reopening of the Mountain Pass REE deposit and mine in California by Molycorp, that could change. Add Pea Ridge to it, we might even become self-sufficient in REEs.

Galena in southeast Missouri is what makes Missouri the number one lead producer in the US. They were able to mine it and stockpile it even when the price was 27 cents/pound, simply because it's argentiferous (contains silver). In fact, so much silver that Missouri is the #6 silver-producing state in the U.S. Nevada silver, though, made them #1 as early as 1859 when the Comstock was in full swing. The money paid per troy ounce of silver has been enough to sustain the mines for well over 30 years without interruption in production.

I know a little about it.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:02 am

Rhino:
yeah, Stibnite needle/crystals.

and of course I'd guess your galena is better than anywhere.

I've not seen any epidote or such on the basalt bubbles, but in the general area it exists, so, would say maybe I've just not run across any.

the best place I've seen them is just east of Lovelock, a massive garnet formation, that they tunneled into, I'm guessing after the garnet. Mostly unimpressive black, though some pretty good size, some nice red and burghundy, though. But, mixed in in areas are zones of quartz,epidote, another green(?), and what seems olivine, creating a tunnel as you describe, that twinkles floor to ceiling with thousands of colored reflections. I brought garnet out by the bucket fulls, and made a small exposed aggregate walk way using it seeded on concrete.

interesting about the rare earths and such.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:06 am

burner von braun wrote:Now that's a picture full of awesome!
Indeed. Infuckingdeed...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:10 pm

^Rhino! wrote: I checked a few of the Nevada localities out, and one's right along Jungo road near Sulfur,
Rhino, if you drive that Jungo Rd, be sure to take at least two spare tires along, especially west of Sulphur. Don't know if you're aware of that.
I find yours and ygmir geologic posts interesting. It's one of my interests but just don't have the time or resources to do much "rock hounding," panning, prospecting etc.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:45 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:59 pm

And we'll kill them all amid laughter and merriment
Except for the few
We take home to experiment.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:37 pm

'zactly. Doc and the Barbiebarians have a sing-a-long with that song. Just so you know.
The Lady with a Lamprey

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:11 am

Good morning all..

hmmm??

*sets choke, primes fuel line, and pulls starter cord on ECM*

:coffee: . . . :coffee: . . . :coffee: . .:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Have a good week folks!

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:17 am

burner von braun wrote:Good morning all..

hmmm??

*sets choke, primes fuel line, and pulls starter cord on ECM*

:coffee: . . . :coffee: . . . :coffee: . .:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Have a good week folks!
Vroom vrrroooooomm!!!
Thanks, BVB!!

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: good
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

magicmarty
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Hushville - Althing

Post by magicmarty » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:18 am

Morning, BVB and Patsh. Good to see you here. Mighty quiet in here these days. Getting closer to the time to wake up and smell the dust.

Cheers

)'(

(((LF)))
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 am

ygmir wrote:Rhino:
yeah, Stibnite needle/crystals.

and of course I'd guess your galena is better than anywhere.

I've not seen any epidote or such on the basalt bubbles, but in the general area it exists, so, would say maybe I've just not run across any.

the best place I've seen them is just east of Lovelock, a massive garnet formation, that they tunneled into, I'm guessing after the garnet. Mostly unimpressive black, though some pretty good size, some nice red and burghundy, though. But, mixed in in areas are zones of quartz,epidote, another green(?), and what seems olivine, creating a tunnel as you describe, that twinkles floor to ceiling with thousands of colored reflections. I brought garnet out by the bucket fulls, and made a small exposed aggregate walk way using it seeded on concrete.

interesting about the rare earths and such.
Best stibnite crystals come from Japan, and are hard to get as mineral specimens.

Garnets I got as individual crystals in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina that had weathered out of the schists there. Those are predominantly the almandite and spessartite varieties, and are only semi-gem quality. The problem there is that garnets produced in schists have rotated due to the immense shear forces involved, and hence get a lot of cracks produced internally during the rotations.

What I want, though, is some larger quartz that's been subjected to about 30 gigabars of pressure,naturally, large enough to be faceted. I have a line on a possible site here in Missouri, but the problem will be getting in. The landowner isn't the most friendly critter in the world. I won't sneak in to get what I'd like because I still have ethics.

Three weeks ago, I hit a good-sized vug in a core we brought up in the Kansas City area, and I looked at it with both 10X and 30X hand lenses - It was great stuff...quartz with surface coatings of sphalerite and perched in the open were small perfect crystals of dolomite. I'm still amazed by the beauty that nature creates.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 am

magicmarty wrote:Morning, BVB and Patsh. Good to see you here. Mighty quiet in here these days. Getting closer to the time to wake up and smell the dust.

Cheers

)'(

(((LF)))
Morning, magic marty. I actually added a sprinkling of playa dust to my coffee this a.m.

Funny....Ringo, one of my camp mates was mixing up her General Foods International Coffee one morning - she called it her 'sissy la la coffee'. I asked her if she knew what was in it.

"No, what?". she replied.

"Take a look at what they add as an anti-caking agent."

"Silicon dioxide. What's that?"

"Quartz dust. Totally inert. Playa dust is about 45% quartz, too."

I picked up a bit of playa, added it to my coffee, and drank.

"Ringo, can I call this sissy la la coffee too?"

She looked at me funny, and I walked away, knowing that I had just put a large monkey wrench in her concept of high-toned coffee.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:39 am

Morning to the bunch of you.. :coffee: :coffee: :| building a garden box 4 X 8 ft. today. have to get the plant out.. This is going to take a lot of coffee..

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 am

Rhino, I love reading your posts!
You say you '...know a little...' Talk about an understatement!
I'm just an ignorant rock hound, collecting what I think looks cool. I had the opportunity (in the '80s, I think) to go down to the 900' level of the Little Daisy shaft in Jerome and walk around. Collected a bunch of botryoidal malachite globs... Awesome! When they're ground flat on one side, they're chatoeilant (sp??!!) like tiger-eye. (I do know better than to inhale the powder when grinding malachite.) There's quite a bit of native copper scattered around there at ground level, too. Azurite, Chrysocolla and all kinds of cool fossils....
*sigh*
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:58 am

Patsh wrote:Rhino, I love reading your posts!
You say you '...know a little...' Talk about an understatement!
I'm just an ignorant rock hound, collecting what I think looks cool. I had the opportunity (in the '80s, I think) to go down to the 900' level of the Little Daisy shaft in Jerome and walk around. Collected a bunch of botryoidal malachite globs... Awesome! When they're ground flat on one side, they're chatoeilant (sp??!!) like tiger-eye. (I do know better than to inhale the powder when grinding malachite.) There's quite a bit of native copper scattered around there at ground level, too. Azurite, Chrysocolla and all kinds of cool fossils....
*sigh*
Why, thank you, Patsch!

You're not ignorant, you just didn't go through the rigamarole of geology grad school, inservice training, literally hundreds of field trips all over the country, and you impressed me nonetheless with your use of the term 'botyroidal' describing malachite.

And the term is 'chatoyent' for tigereye. Tigereye is formed by thousands of little fibers of crocidolite, an asbestiform mineral, that have become encapsulated in quartz. When they weather out, it turns the tigereye brown. Fresh tigereye is actually blue. Neat, eh?

Malachite and azurite are both copper carbonates. They normally are the ones found in the big open-pit mines down in Arizona and also in Utah. They're refined by the heap-leaching method that uses bacteria to eat the copper out of the rock. Kill the bacteria, keep the copper. Industrial microbiology. It works a whole lot better than that damned cyanide they use for gold refining via heap leaching. One had better be damned sure you don't get an offsite plume of cyanide from your heap leach. That's why gold mines nowadays are so big - they have to have leach ponds where the cyanide-gold solution can be collected for refining. Biggest open pit gold mine in the world is in Nevada. Carlin trend.

I normally get bushwhacked when I go through Ely, Elko, and Winnemucca on the way out to the playa by at least one hopeful employee of a gold company who wants me to work at a mine. They see the 'Geologic Society of America" and "American Institute of Professional Geologists' stickers on my camper shell, and they think they can make a gold company happy and collect a bounty for brining a geologist into the application process (and they get the bounty if I'm hired). Ruins their day when I tell 'em I'm not interested.

Soapbox time.

They should know better. I have Burningman stickers on the shell, too. I'm currently gainfully employed by a goverment agency specializing in construction and materials, and the biggest money in mining, or for that matter, any geologic material, is made in one industrial mineral: limestone. Lowly little limestone. More is made in absolute dollar value, and more tonnage of limestone is mined, than any other industrial mineral or economic mineral in the world. The one single division of aerospace giant Martin-Marietta/Boeing that has consistently shown profit since World War II is their Construction Aggregates division.

There once was a young geologist graduate of Southern Methodist University in Texas who went into limestones in the Kansas City area. He was also a very smart businessman, and figured out how to get paid THREE TIMES off a single property, with two of those payments continuing on a yearly basis. This geologist mined underground in Kansas City, and developed underground storage spaces. He got paid the market rate for the aggregate. Major corporations rent out finished storage and office space underground from him. The surface has even become developed ground. And, because he was a risk-taker, he bought a football league in 1963. It became the American Football League. It was bought by the NFL, and became the American Conference of the NFL. He got to keep the Kansas City Chiefs. His name - Lamar Hunt. A geologist who now is forever enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

There was another geologist who graduated from the City University of New York, but went into the Army instead.After several tours of duty in Vietnam, he went on to become Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and later Secretary of State. Who? Colin Powell.

Geologist Harrison Schmitt was the very first geologist to walk on the moon as a NASA astronaut.

Geologist Sarah Andrews is an acclaimed mystery writer whose series describing the exploits of forensic geologist Em Hansan is a favorite of many (including me).

You can do anything you please in this profession. And I enjoy helping others. The sky's the limit.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:28 pm

mgb327 wrote:How odd you would post that FIGJAM, as I am going to meet with the owner of a Bush & Gertz, Chicago, nickelodeon. Big machine, stained glass and all the instruments inside. Drums, zylophone, bells, woodblocks, tambos, a bunch of accessories. I will probably buy it, but the problem is that I will need to move it. Probably 1/2 ton. I will post film when I get it here......I just love my job.
Bliss! I've always enjoyed these old music boxes.
(Fine point: Yours is probably more of an orchestrion than a nickelodeon.)

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:23 am

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: please, more :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:56 am

MyDearFriend wrote::coffee: :coffee: :coffee: please, more :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Good morning!
No coffee to offer (I don't care for the flavor, so none in the house), but plenty of strong tea with honey.
Cool wind here this morning, but the sun is out. :D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public areas, please.

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:12 pm

The earth view shows a little rain on Black Rock Desert today.

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Eliot:

Just a suggestion. As you've been to BRC many a time, you can already add the term "Haji" to your Arabic name at the bottom of the post. Your pilgrimage to our Mecca in the desert deserves recognition. Just a thought.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:35 pm

I object on the following grounds:
1--Do we really need any more quasi-religious trappings?
2--Do we really want to give other than fanatical, hate-enfused muslims another reason to feel dissed? The Haj is a sacred tradition; maybe we could respect that without trying to incorporate it into our week long camping trip.
The Lady with a Lamprey

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:38 pm

I can see what you're saying. Suggestion withdrawn.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I object on the following grounds:
1--Do we really need any more quasi-religious trappings?
2--Do we really want to give other than fanatical, hate-enfused muslims another reason to feel dissed? The Haj is a sacred tradition; maybe we could respect that without trying to incorporate it into our week long camping trip.
yeah because no one ever teases, disses, or disrespects any religions here. Lets make sure one group, at least, is treated with "kid gloves" and not offended..

either it's ok to offend and tease, or it's not. no favorites, IMHO.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:41 pm

I already dropped "Swami". Maybe I should just call myself Steinar -- my Viking name.

Ygmir makes a good point.

People who take offense easily are called fanatics.

It's a complicated world. :?
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public areas, please.

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Oh, I don't mind making fun of it, Yggy...

It's about the power differential with centuries of grinding them down.
The Lady with a Lamprey

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Offence is in the eye of the beholder.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:21 pm

What Figjam said. I'll also add that a really fun way to take the piss out of a religious group is to co-opt their names and titles for some completely different purpose. My good friend Pope is a prime example (well, technically I guess now he's Pope Rajulio since he had to enter a last name on some form or site someplace.

Whew.. extremely busy day. So many emails, IM's, PM's, posts and questions that are all covered in the info on the tickets page and FAQ, too... sheesh! I had a bit of a weird off-site meeting today too. Good stuff, but weird. Tomorrow's going to be busy as well, but on the upside I've got a fancy new GPU for my computer arriving. It'll be quite an upgrade over the main graphics card I currently use and tide me over until I can get a new machine, plus it'll help quite a bit with 3D design/video work as well as let me add another monitor to the mix. Moar power!

Return to “Open Discussion”