I'm so old I remember when...

All things outside of Burning Man.
Canoe

Re: I'm so old I remember when...

Post by Canoe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:38 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:29 pm
... And a smoking section if I recall correctly. ...
Section?
Are you one of those anti-smoking communists?
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:28 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:29 pm
Canoe wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:51 am
I'm so old I remember when I'd fly across the Atlantic, entering by climbing up stairs from the ground, sit in seats facing other passengers, with a table between us for reading or playing cards, in a plane that had four propellers. I'd spend hours in the cockpit.
And real food.
And a smoking section if I recall correctly.

Certainly seeing a beer can opened with a "church key"; alas it was not my time to drink.
How about an electric piano in the upper deck of the new 747's
747 piano bar.jpg
Speaking of the good old days when smokers were sitting next to me on flights, the FAA started to ban them in 1990, and internationally for US planes in 2000, it makes me nervous since then to be on a flight that has ashtrays on the armrests screwed down. How old is that plane?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:51 pm

*snickers at 747s*

The 747 was new when I was in my early teens. I last flew on one in 2008 on my trip to mainland China. You want a real workhorse of a plane I remember flying on, try the Ford Trimotor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Trim ... or_EAA.jpg

The Trimotor was a single wing 3-motor long distance passenger aircraft that PREDATES the Douglas DC-3 (also known as the venerable C-47 from its World War II service). In 1968, there were just two of them flying regular service in the US out of Port Clinton, Ohio. They did daily flights to South Bass Island and the resort town of Put-In-Bay. My aunt and uncle had arranged the flight for 8 of us- my Mom, Dad, aunt, uncle, my two cousins. my sister and myself for a day on the island. It's still a neat little resort town.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:18 pm

^Rhino! wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:51 pm
... You want a real workhorse of a plane I remember flying on, try the Ford Trimotor. ...
I actually have. It was at an airshow and a few of us got a flight around around town and back to the airport. Sometime around '74 to '76.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Open Discussion”